Please remove this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of us who deal with extremely limited diets due to numerous food allergies and/or sensitivities know that the allergy menus are NOT going to work unless you are needing to avoid ONE SINGLE ITEM, for example dairy, that's easy for the menu to list everything that has zero dairy in it. Once you add even one more item you can't get an accurate idea of what you can or can't order. Simply ask to speak to the chef at table service locations and ask to speak to Cast Member at counter service locations to inform them of any and all restrictions. The menu might not list a salad under Dairy safe because the dressing is milk based but they can switch it up and poof, it's now safe.

Here's what I deal with, I print these out and give them to chefs (other than resorts we do not go to Counter service locations) and I rarely go hungry. They bend over backwards to make sure you are safe, the protocols they follow are amazing, tell them what your level of comfort is with cross contamination and they will work with you. ALSO - carry safe food with you at all times in case things are out of stock, supply has changed, ask for what you need.

chef cards.jpg

The University near us has a great policy.

Similar to the way many chain restaurants menus now put a small leaf beside menu items that are vegetarian (P.F. Changs for example https://www.pfchangs.com/menu ), the university has expanded upon that idea. Dining Services uses easy to understand color-coded allergen/vegan/vegetarian symbols next to every item on their buffet. (Plus Kosher and one to indicate a Locally sourced food) Without having to ask, every diner can easily see if a food item has meat, sesame, etc.

It is so fantastic!

It is a great place to eat for everyone in general, especially for the price. It would be great if WDW adopted a similar notation system.

The University near us has a great policy.

Similar to the way many chain restaurants menus now put a small leaf beside menu items that are vegetarian (P.F. Changs for example https://www.pfchangs.com/menu ), the university has expanded upon that idea. Dining Services uses easy to understand color-coded allergen/vegan/vegetarian symbols next to every item on their buffet. (Plus Kosher and one to indicate a Locally sourced food) Without having to ask, every diner can easily see if a food item has meat, sesame, etc.

It is so fantastic!

It is a great place to eat for everyone in general, especially for the price. It would be great if WDW adopted a similar notation system.
I don’t know how many allergens your local university identifies, but given the number and types of allergies that people talk about here, it wouldn’t be feasible for WDW to do that.

Huh?
A cow is a cow is a cow.
You're saying WDW's might be all-beef one day, but not the next?
No. all cows are not equal. The food source for the cow affects the meat. A good friend is super-sensitive to select substance. She can eat grass/organic fed meat but is allergic to components of enhanced feed that persist into meat from those cows.

And ground beef does not always have te same cuts of beef or percentage of other ingredients permitted or allowed. Spices and flavorings, for example, could easily be added into the mix, as could salt or other preservatives.

My local grocery store occasionally makes a combination bison/cow mixture (so labeled). One of the "gourmet" groceries in town sells a ground beef mixture that includes vital organs (it is labeled as such)

I don’t know how many allergens your local university identifies,
The University covers the top 8, as already required on ALL nutrition labels. They are: milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, soy, and fish. Number 9 is sesame.

Disney's mobile order menus already list allergen-free foods, including sesame. The idea I suggested is just a variation on something that is already done in many restaurants, including WDW's own allergen menus, though not with the easy icons.

Go figure, someone already posted a great webpage on the topic. Here's all the details of why and how explained in full detail: https://www.gonnaorder.com/blog/wha...ng-allergen-information-on-your-digital-menu/

Last edited:
I think it depends on the menu (anywhere - WDW or elsewhere). If the burger description says something like special, artisanal, house, homemade, blend, signature, flavorful, custom, etc. then I probably assume something more than just a basic hamburger. If it’s a QS/fastfood type place then I’m more likely to assume a pre-made beef Patty if not otherwise noted with a description.
Here are a few specific examples, I am quoting directly from the menus:

Cosmic Ray's: Triple D burger is an Angus Beef patty"
Pecos Bill is also decribed as an Angus beef patty
Connections American classic burger is described as a "Gourmet beef blend" (had not looked at that one before posting this query)
D-Luxe Burgers serves a "Classic Cheeseburger" that has "Signature Blend patties"
City Works Burger is ""Fresh USDA prime beef patty"
Landscape of Flavors serves a dish simply listed as "Pasta with meatballs" (no specification at all)
LoF also has a Cheddar Cheeseburger that is "a signature blend Burger" Looking under the allergen menu, the burger is an option for wheat allergens, but not sesame)
Primo Piatti's cheeseburger is also described as a "signature-blend burger"
Roaring Fork serves an "Angus burger" cheeseburger
Steakhouse 71 serves a child menu cheeseburger that has no description. It is an option for wheat allergies, peanut allergies, but not soy allergies.
Contempo Cafe has an "Angus Burger"
Gasparilla Grill's offering is only described as an "artisan burger"
GF Cafe was the menu that prompted me to post his question. They serve a "Signature Burger" that is described as an "Artisanal 7-ounce Burger Patty"

Looking at all the above menus somewhat answers my original question: some locations are indeed serving cheeseburgers that are a non-specified blend.

Disney's mobile order menus already list allergen-free foods, including sesame. The idea I suggested is just a variation on something that is already done in many restaurants, including WDW's own allergen menus, though not with the easy icons.

Icons are not "easy" for individuals with sight limitations. There is not a. international standard set of icons

Cultural differences need to also be considered.
The University covers the top 8, as already required on ALL nutrition labels. They are: milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, soy, and fish. Number 9 is sesame.

Go figure, someone already posted a great webpage on the topic. Here's all the details of why and how explained in full detail: https://www.gonnaorder.com/blog/wha...ng-allergen-information-on-your-digital-menu/
That is a commercial site for a particular software system that supports online ordering. It is not a universal set of instructions.

An important consideration in web and app design is providing access to information for people with sight limitations. If you cannot see a picture or an icon, it conveys no useful information to you. There are ways of "hiding" text to help describe a picture for people who use text-to-speech to interpret web pages, but building that functionality requires extra work. Using straight text avoids this extra work.

The development/inclusion of a universal vocabulary of icons that was mapped to many languages and supported by browsers such as Chrome, Safari, Edge, and Mozilla would make it much easier to use iconography consistently and have it useful for different audiences.

Here are a few specific examples, I am quoting directly from the menus:
If I had a food allergy that might get hidden in a burger, several of those menu items would cause me to question the server/chef.

I feel for those who have food allergies, and particularly those with multiple allergens or allergens that are not top 8. My family does not have allergies but we do have dietary restrictions that are rarely listed on a menu. It can be challenging. My advise to you is to just ask -- and don't assume a piece of meat is just a piece of meat -- many meats may be marinated or seasoned or in the case with ground beef it may not be 100% beef (many meatballs are mixtures of ground beef/pork/veal or other combos).

The icons are an interesting idea. Until it becomes a more widely recognized concept I would not rely on that, though. Even then, if suppliers change products can change or even substitutions. Asking is going to be your safest bet, and follow your gut (literally?) and if unsure choose another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter