Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
Ill be tempted, but due to the resale restrictions and my belief based on size it will have the availability of BLT at 7 months, I am considering buying more CCV instead.

Im wondering if the resale restriction will be removed if sales drag and that could change my thinking.

It’s a big resort, not Disney themed or walking to anything and beginning to be sold at the end of one of the longest bull markets in our lifetime.

There are a lot of turns this property’s sales cycle could take.

If I am Disney I come out of the gate hard with crazy incentives and get as much sold while the economy is strong to have some momentum in case things get bumpy

Haven't seen this anywhere, but Master Declaration for Riviera occurred on 2/25. For the Poly, it went on sale five days after master declaration. CCV it was 15 days. Looks like we will have prices and point charts within the next 1-2 weeks.

I'm a solid no. The resale point doesn't bother me that much but I think the used car analogy is generally right. There should be more depreciation on Riviera point than the existing resorts, and I'm willing to let someone else pay for that. Additionally, if the point charts shake out as expected (with numbers in line with BLT Lake View and MK View), I'm not going to be that eager to use my existing points to stay there. The location doesn't seem to justify the point cost to me. I'd rather use my home resort window at BLT to book Standard and save points, or splurge on a 1 bedroom at resort with a better location. At this point, if I add on, it's probably either going to be BLT or VGF. I like those resorts and locations, and given the contract lengths and the ability to trade into the other existing resorts, there's more value.

Honestly, I think that VGF and BLT are the last two resorts where it seemed like DVC was being responsive to the members. Making Poly almost entirely studios was a good idea, but throwing in the bungalows ruined it by creating a ton of points for units that are rarely used by members. The CCV cabins are better and more affordable, but there are too few studios given the demand and number of small contracts. Now with Riviera, we have the new resale restrictions and the potential for expensive point charts at resort that's in a slightly odd location.

I'm a solid no. The resale point doesn't bother me that much but I think the used car analogy is generally right. There should be more depreciation on Riviera point than the existing resorts, and I'm willing to let someone else pay for that. Additionally, if the point charts shake out as expected (with numbers in line with BLT Lake View and MK View), I'm not going to be that eager to use my existing points to stay there. The location doesn't seem to justify the point cost to me. I'd rather use my home resort window at BLT to book Standard and save points, or splurge on a 1 bedroom at resort with a better location. At this point, if I add on, it's probably either going to be BLT or VGF. I like those resorts and locations, and given the contract lengths and the ability to trade into the other existing resorts, there's more value.

Honestly, I think that VGF and BLT are the last two resorts where it seemed like DVC was being responsive to the members. Making Poly almost entirely studios was a good idea, but throwing in the bungalows ruined it by creating a ton of points for units that are rarely used by members. The CCV cabins are better and more affordable, but there are too few studios given the demand and number of small contracts. Now with Riviera, we have the new resale restrictions and the potential for expensive point charts at resort that's in a slightly odd location.

I own at both VGF and BLT and love them both. We also bought BWV. We started with 200 VGF points and have been adding on ever since. :sad2:

So - "Maybe" is gaining a little traction - up to 8.1%, and I actually I would think that isn't bad. The fact that "Yes" is zero I would think would be worrisome to DVC if this is at all representative of average members.

On the other hand - how much are they really relying on existing members to buy - I decided to look back at Copper Creek:

So I went back out of curiosity to see the sales data when CCV opened. This data is from DVC news dot com.

CCV was opened for sales to existing members on March 8th and new members April 5th - while the Poly was still selling. The data below is the table of points registered with Orange County. It takes about 30 days for contracts to come on-line. Note I am listing points / contracts:

March 2017 CCV = 0 Poly = 123,714/908
April 2017 CCV = 51,675/382 Poly = 167,904/1221
May 2017 CCV = 34,279/218 Poly = 150,335 /1082
June 2017 CCV = 40,969/269 Poly = 138,531 / 1050
July 2017 CCV = 45,553/295 Poly = 107,734 / 790

So if we look at this data - it basically says that around 50,000 or less points were sold on an initial basis to existing members. This is a very small amount. You can see that the next three months of direct sales were a little lower - but not much lower. If Disney is considering this data, this could be why they are not worrying about selling Riviera points to existing members.

As a relative note - direct sales for CCV in January 2019 were 218,382 points/1429 contracts.

So I think there's a good chance that Disney is not at all worrying about existing members, and probably feels that the typical new members won't know any better regarding the resale situation. I'm sure they won't be TELLING prospective members.

So - "Maybe" is gaining a little traction - up to 8.1%, and I actually I would think that isn't bad. The fact that "Yes" is zero I would think would be worrisome to DVC if this is at all representative of average members.........
Do you really expect DIS posters to vote yes without knowing at least the ppp & seeing the point charts? I wouldn't. It's too early for yes votes.

For my part, I still see lots of assumptions about Riviera being bandied about on the DVC forums. Too many to keep track of. I'm not sure anymore what is accurate vs what is someone's opinion. Not basing my decision on other posters interpretations and/or on partial quotes that could be out of context. I'm waiting for the sales info and official purchase documents before I change my vote to yes or no. Other "maybes" probably doing the same.

Do you really expect DIS posters to vote yes without knowing at least the ppp & seeing the point charts? I wouldn't. It's too early for yes votes.

Good point. But I would not that long ago with the Poly, there were plenty of posters that were planning to buy before the points chart came out. That's why I asked folks that put "maybe" to change their answer if the points chart gave them a warm fuzzy.

Not sure what the things you are suggesting as rumors - certainly any point values are...but the "resale members can't stay anywhere else" isn't a rumor.

……............Not sure what the things you are suggesting as rumors - certainly any point values are...but the "resale members can't stay anywhere else" isn't a rumor.

But things like different point values for trading from various L14 resorts to Riviera and different booking windows for Riviera direct and resale points are. Probably more, but my head still hurts from the first time I've read the threads! ;) :teeth:

But things like different point values for trading from various L14 resorts to Riviera and different booking windows for Riviera direct and resale points are. Probably more, but my head still hurts from the first time I've read the threads! ;) :teeth:

Very true! I would say the different point values for trading in is highly unlikely. The different booking windows for direct vs resale has been written into the POS but I don't think they are likely to do it right away if at all. It would only be if they find that direct buying is lagging further.

To the OP's question: "Not a chance!" is my initial thought.

But then...what if this does blossom into something like a DVC2, with many new resorts including the repurposing of the original 2042-expiration DVC sites. Could it end up being the equivalent of having bought VWL or BC at the very start? I think that most of us would go back in time and purchase as much of that as possible, if given the chance.

But then...what if this does blossom into something like a DVC2, with many new resorts including the repurposing of the original 2042-expiration DVC sites. Could it end up being the equivalent of having bought VWL or BC at the very start? I think that most of us would go back in time and purchase as much of that as possible, if given the chance.

UGH!!!! This is exactly where I'm sitting right now too. I am just going to wait until I hear all the info before I make any decisions or declarations. We've had a lot of confirmed information as well as rumors thrown at us in a short amount of time. It's now time to sit back and see what is accurate and what I would be getting if I bought direct, which I have never done before.

If we knew that it would be like this that would certainly make a difference. However as it is right now, Riviera went from plan to buy direct to most likely will not buy at all.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but when DVCNews listed the “maximum reallocation” values for the Riviera, I noted:

1. The lockoff premium is roughly equivalent to VGF (which does appear to be the comparable here).

2. One-bedroom units require roughly 2x the point requirements of a studio.

Point being, this is pretty consistent with the L14 resorts. And if it can be assumed that Riviera will not make dramatic changes to their point distributions in the short-term (so as not to upset their new buyers), which I would think is reasonable, I don’t think it’s a stretch to conclude that there will NOT be any dramatic point redistributions within the L14 when the 2021 charts are released late this year.

(Possible exception at PVB due to the fact that there obviously is no lockoff premium nor 1-bedroom units to speak of, but I doubt the point requirements for a PVB studio would ever be greater than a VGF studio)

I will never say never. Though the initial reaction is to hold off on buying at Riviera, I will have to wait until all the information is available.

I'm not a member and will buy 75 direct somewhere so Riviera is a "maybe." CC has some negatives like four person max occupancy on studios and one bedrooms. We love Poly but probably not direct given direct cost + uncertainty over future point allocation + only studios for our use. We also love BCV but it's at $225 it's fiscally irresponsible. I can keep going down the list but gist is that there's no obvious choice for us that it makes sense for us to wait on Riviera and see how it shakes out.

Riviera is a maybe because I like the gondolas in theory but I'm unsure how they'll work in practice (e.g. switching at CB to get to HS). I like the general theme and look of the pool, but I can't yet shake looking out at CB snd how different it is. I like that it's a standalone resort like SSR and OKW and I can literally just take an elevator down to the desk, coffee shop, quick service for a mug top off, etc without needing to go outside to a different building. I like the pull down beds instead of pull out couches, and that beds are king sized and not "just queen." I like the separate walk in shower giving two cleaning areas even in studios. I'm curious how the views on north and west sides will be, it's a tall tower that presumably has views of east buena vista drive and/or victory drive. While I said I like the rivera, southern europe theme, it still looks sterile in photos but maybe different in person. I'm like the rest here curious about the point charts. I'm not particularly worried about resale, if it stinks and it's hard to move I can choose to hold on to it and rent points.

Last edited:
Riviera is a maybe because I like the gondolas in theory but I'm unsure how they'll work in practice (e.g. switching at CB to get to HS). I like the general theme and look of the pool, but I can't yet shake looking out at CB snd how different it is. I like that it's a standalone resort like SSR and OKW and I can literally just take an elevator down to the desk, coffee shop, quick service for a mug top off, etc without needing to go outside to a different building. I like the pull down beds instead of pull out couches, and that beds are king sized and not "just queen."

I believe all 1 bedroom DVC units and the "master bedroom" of the 2 bedroom and grand villas have a king bed. Studios, and the second and third bedrooms of 2 bedroom and grand villas have queen beds.

Craig

I believe all 1 bedroom DVC units and the "master bedroom" of the 2 bedroom and grand villas have a king bed. Studios, and the second and third bedrooms of 2 bedroom and grand villas have queen beds.

Craig

Correct, I was mistaken. Thanks for the heads up.

I have a "buying question" related to Riviera for those who have more experience with new resorts. I have a June use year. I know normally if I buy points direct before June 1st that I will get bankable 2018 points and all points forward. Is that the same with a resort that isn't open yet like Riviera? Example say it goes on sale next month and I buy (before June 1st), will I still get 2018 UY points even though the resort isn't open yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter