• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POLL: July Folks... Going, Cancelled/Cancelling, or Undetermined?

If You Have A Trip Planed for July, Are You Going, Cancelled, or Undetermined?

• Yes, We Are Still Planning to Go - Resort Guest

Votes: 154 26.9%
  • Yes, We Are Still Planning to Go - DVC Member

Votes: 121 21.2%
  • No, We Have Cancelled Already or Will Definitely Cancel - Resort Guest

Votes: 132 23.1%
  • No, We Have Cancelled Already or Will Definitely Cancel - DVC Member

Votes: 53 9.3%
  • Undetermined, But Leaning Towards Going

Votes: 58 10.1%
  • Undetermined, But Leaning Towards Cancelling

Votes: 54 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We would normally take a drive to DS and CityWalk for a quick getaway, but not willing to risk it at this time. 9,500+ cases daily is very concerning.

We would normally take a drive to DS and CityWalk for a quick getaway, but not willing to risk it at this time. 9,500+ cases daily is very concerning.
I think all signs point to Universal/Disney being postponed/closed down again soon given the indefinite postponement in California and the layoffs at Universal Orlando, no more alcohol at bars.

I think all signs point to Universal/Disney being postponed/closed down again soon given the indefinite postponement in California and the layoffs at Universal Orlando.

I don't really know. The warning signs are not just yellow, but are now flashing neon red in my opinion. I know we are not going to take, what we feel, is a completely unnecessary trip at this time. Yes, we are going stir crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lay down in front of a virus freight train.

I don't really know. The warning signs are not just yellow, but are now flashing neon red in my opinion. I know we are not going to take, what we feel, is a completely unnecessary trip at this time. Yes, we are going stir crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lay down in front of a virus freight train.
Its not only unnecessary but the risk of going there and then having the park and everything shut down seems like a big enough possibility to be a waste of time and money.

Realize that because symptoms can take 5-10 days to show up and turnaround time on test results is still slow, the numbers you see now are reflective of what things looked like ~2 weeks ago and are inevitably much higher now.

Even if the case counts plateau and hospital capacity holds steady, there are a ton of logistical issues with an out-of-state trip right now that I think worth considering. If I was local and could drive to the parks, I would probably be ok with the risks.

But if you are out of state - consider some worst case scenarios and how you would handle them. For example, if I fly out there and get sick halfway through the trip, then what? Sounds like airports and airlines are taking temps now and might deny sick passengers? How would I get home safely and do so without placing risk on others? What would I do if I can't get home - stay in a hotel in Orlando and quarantine for the next 2 weeks? What if I got sick enough to need hospitalized for a period of time - would I have the rest of my family try and fly home and/or have them stay in a hotel and wait?

And that is ignoring a bunch of other logistical problems - for example I would suspect with how things are going Florida will be placing mandatory quarantine on out-of-state visitors from hotspot regions. And seems highly likely that you could also be placed on mandatory quarantine upon return since Florida is a hotspot. So let's say you go and everything is fine, you might need to take another 2 weeks off work upon return to quarantine from the trip. And if you get sick, you are going to be paying a bunch of money for hotel quarantine, rebooked flights, and cost of food and/or care.

I have had a trip booked for first week of August for almost a year now and was hoping things would improve by the time it arrived but can't imagine a scenario where I still go at this point. Even if you are okay assuming some risk and plan to be careful, there is still a lot of risk with the logistical issues mentioned above.

Realize that because symptoms can take 5-10 days to show up and turnaround time on test results is still slow, the numbers you see now are reflective of what things looked like ~2 weeks ago and are inevitably much higher now.

Even if the case counts plateau and hospital capacity holds steady, there are a ton of logistical issues with an out-of-state trip right now that I think worth considering. If I was local and could drive to the parks, I would probably be ok with the risks.

But if you are out of state - consider some worst case scenarios and how you would handle them. For example, if I fly out there and get sick halfway through the trip, then what? Sounds like airports and airlines are taking temps now and might deny sick passengers? How would I get home safely and do so without placing risk on others? What would I do if I can't get home - stay in a hotel in Orlando and quarantine for the next 2 weeks? What if I got sick enough to need hospitalized for a period of time - would I have the rest of my family try and fly home and/or have them stay in a hotel and wait?

And that is ignoring a bunch of other logistical problems - for example I would suspect with how things are going Florida will be placing mandatory quarantine on out-of-state visitors from hotspot regions. And seems highly likely that you could also be placed on mandatory quarantine upon return since Florida is a hotspot. So let's say you go and everything is fine, you might need to take another 2 weeks off work upon return to quarantine from the trip. And if you get sick, you are going to be paying a bunch of money for hotel quarantine, rebooked flights, and cost of food and/or care.

I have had a trip booked for first week of August for almost a year now and was hoping things would improve by the time it arrived but can't imagine a scenario where I still go at this point. Even if you are okay assuming some risk and plan to be careful, there is still a lot of risk with the logistical issues mentioned above.
Yes, travelers should always plan for the possibility of emergencies.

With another 8500 cases in Florida, I would not be surprised if Disney hits the breaks sooner than later.

I'm very curious what Disney will do. It seems like it would be difficult to pump the brakes, but it's also a bad look to go full steam ahead with numbers rising. It's a tough call.

My fiance and I were leaning towards going...but after seeing the numbers we are starting to reconsider.

I was on the definitely going train a few days ago, but with these rising numbers the past few days, I'm starting to re-consider if I even want to go. I have another trip scheduled for September. I think the problem is (and I'm included in that) people are getting stir crazy and want to go somewhere. I get Disney is their happy place, but would you risk being around thousands of people for temporary happiness. I hate to say it, but you know not everyone will be following the rules.

I'm very curious what Disney will do. It seems like it would be difficult to pump the brakes, but it's also a bad look to go full steam ahead with numbers rising. It's a tough call.

My fiance and I were leaning towards going...but after seeing the numbers we are starting to reconsider.
Disney pumped the brakes on California so I don't see them having a problem doing it for Florida.
It's really going to depend on how things go this week in Florida if they decided to postpone.

Disney pumped the brakes on California so I don't see them having a problem doing it for Florida.
It's really going to depend on how things go this week in Florida if they decided to postpone.
Disneyland California didn't open for logistical reasons. Because of the surge, they didn't think they'd get state government & union approval. WDW already has both.

In a way, this might be the ideal time for WDW to reopen, in terms of optics in relation to Covid. There is already a surge, so no one's going to blame WDW for a surge at this point (if they had opened last month, you know this surge would have been blamed on them). The other parks are all already open, so in that context, it doesn't look premature for them to open.

I originally clicked DVC planning on going; my vote has changed. I have been watching everything like a hawk. If I don't go, I will lose 70 banked 2019 points that we will not have another opportunity to use. We also will lose money on our APs as we but them with the intent of traveling twice in one year; we only got 10 days of use and the refund will cover only a quarter of the cost. I have been weighing these financial considerations against the severely diminished experience AND the current exponential increase in numbers, and the the scales are tipping toward not going.
Oddly enough. for all of my planning/critical analysis of all the scenarios that would keep me away, there was one I never considered. Someone earlier said something about the possibility of the parks being forced to close WHILE on vacation. With the current outbreak occurring, there is a significant risk for those traveling long distances in the coming weeks. Imagine if on day 2 of your vacation Disney shuts down!?!? That would be too much.

We have 3 rooms for late July, 7 people total. One of our rooms (3 adults) cancelled today. It was our son, daughter in law and his best friend/honorary "adopted" son. They told us we are going to be first time grandparents and she is not feeling great. Disney in July with morning sickness, a mask and the risk of Covid is not something we want for them so we encouraged them to cancel. Next time we go with them I get to bring a grandbaby! I figure that's as good a reason to cancel as any. Hubby and I are still planning on going unless things continue to get worse and worse over the next month or unless Disney postpones opening. Our second room is up in the air (2 other adult children). One just got a new job and doesn't think he can miss work that soon after being hired and daughter doesn't want to go with just mom & dad. Jokes on her, lol. Mom & dad don't need the kids to have fun and man oh man is it going to save us money.

We're going with the full cancellation of our AP's this year. A statement/e-mail is said to be forthcoming in early July.

We were leaning towards definitely going, to get one last trip out of our APs. I still really want to go, but the numbers are getting to the point where I’m starting to question my sanity for considering it. We have a Universal trip planned for October. I may just get our small AP refund and make that our next trip. I’m waiting 2 weeks to make a final decision.

We were leaning towards definitely going, to get one last trip out of our APs. I still really want to go, but the numbers are getting to the point where I’m starting to question my sanity for considering it. We have a Universal trip planned for October. I may just get our small AP refund and make that our next trip. I’m waiting 2 weeks to make a final decision.
We keep delaying our decision about a July trip, too! The AP extension sucked us in, and we all really want to just be on property soaking in the sights and sounds...but not the virus! Is it insane to think of being at Disney World different from being in Orlando? We wouldn't be visiting local bars (I know, they're closed now anyway) or restaurants. I do believe that Disney will be a bubble with appropriate mask wearing, social distancing, and constant cleaning. I talked with DW and said that with mobile check-in and ordering we will have hardly any contact with the local Orlando CMs, and unlike here at home where we see employees wearing masks on their chins, we think Disney will enforce proper mask wearing for its employees. Just irrationally hopeful.

We keep delaying our decision about a July trip, too! The AP extension sucked us in, and we all really want to just be on property soaking in the sights and sounds...but not the virus! Is it insane to think of being at Disney World different from being in Orlando? We wouldn't be visiting local bars (I know, they're closed now anyway) or restaurants. I do believe that Disney will be a bubble with appropriate mask wearing, social distancing, and constant cleaning. I talked with DW and said that with mobile check-in and ordering we will have hardly any contact with the local Orlando CMs, and unlike here at home where we see employees wearing masks on their chins, we think Disney will enforce proper mask wearing for its employees. Just irrationally hopeful.
OMG almost my exact words!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter