Poll: Why don’t you want dogs at Disney Resorts? (non-service dogs)

Why don’t you want (non service) dogs at Disney Resorts?

• I’m allergic to dogs

Votes: 120 26.0%
  • Barking dogs. I’m worried that I will be kept awake, annoyed, or have to deal it.

Votes: 329 71.4%
  • I don’t want to sleep in a room that has had someone else’s pet in it.

Votes: 312 67.7%
  • I’m worried that I, or another guest, will be bitten, chased, or snapped at by someone’s dog

Votes: 157 34.1%
  • I’m afraid or have a phobia of dogs, or someone in my group/family is afraid of dogs

Votes: 75 16.3%
  • I don’t want to see someone’s dog relieving themselves. I don't want to step in it, or smell it

Votes: 268 58.1%
  • The policy is a moving target, so until it is settled, I say no

Votes: 90 19.5%
  • Dogs walking around the resort grounds negatively changes or ruins the feel of the resort

Votes: 180 39.0%
  • Other (please specify with a reply to this thread)

Votes: 35 7.6%

• Total voters
It's not likely I will stay in Disney Resort very often because I live in Australia, but I own 4 dogs and work with scent detection dogs. If I come again I would choose to stay at a resort that did not allow dogs.
I voted Other because it's its about Dog welfare. What happens to dogs while the owners are out at the park all day, who's taking these dogs to the bathroom. We have stringent requirements on how often our working dogs need to go outside and relive themselves. The other issue is the fireworks, most dogs hate them, this could be hell on earth for some dogs.
I think if people want to take their dogs on holiday go somewhere thats a holiday for everyone, where you can have your dog with you all day.

I'm in a suburb and we've had a rise in wild turkeys. They travel in packs all over town. Unlike Albert, they block traffic, intimidate school children and provide no support!

Voted other. The dog can't participate in a theme park vacation, left shut up (both physically and vocally) in a hotel room.

The sound of fireworks, screaming uncontrollable kids in the hotel halls, being cooped up in a strange place -- very annoying to sensitive dogs. We have always rented dog-friendly houses on homeaway.com ---- houses with enough acreage or at least a large fenced backyard so our German Shepherd can stretch his legs.

If you have to bring the dog, what's wrong with simply renting a vacation house with acreage? It's more comfortable for dogs. The price per night for a pet friendly house on homeaway is competitive and comparable with Disney hotel rates. We would never think of taking our big dog (or any size dog) to a hotel. Not enough freedom to just be a dog ---- not in a hotel setting --- definitely not in Disney.

I can also imagine little kids at the Disney hotels running up and grabbing at dogs, trying to pet them, with no respect for the dogs' boundaries. People are naturally self-absorbed and distracted on vacation, they don't pay any attention to their kids running loose, attacking an innocent dog --- I see all sorts of liability issues for the dog owners who risk staying at the hotels.

Sorry, dog lover here, and it makes me so irritated that very few people ever stop to think of how the dogs feel about it.

I can also imagine little kids at the Disney hotels running up and grabbing at dogs, trying to pet them, with no respect for the dogs' boundaries. People are naturally self-absorbed and distracted on vacation, they don't pay any attention to their kids running loose, attacking an innocent dog --- I see all sorts of liability issues for the dog owners who risk staying at the hotels.

Sorry, dog lover here, and it makes me so irritated that very few people ever stop to think of how the dogs feel about it.

I agree, as a dog owner, if I did this, I would be on high alert for loosely-supervised kids just running up to my dog. Parents get so easily distracted on vacation with all that is going on too

I wish I would have thought to add the option about what's good for the dog. Dang it.

If the owner was simply staying at the resort and not visiting the parks, and had limited time away from the dog, well that's one thing. However, I don't see that as being a high percentage of guests to WDW resorts. The resorts really clear out during the day because SO many guests are heading to the parks, which makes sense. It's WDW, and the four parks ARE the main attraction.

I'm hoping that this trial flops, as I just don't see this as a necessary option, especially with the major negative impacts it can have on so many other guests. Other methods (boarding, finding someone to watch your dog, etc...) have worked for decades. Just leave well enough alone.

Dan

2, 3, 4, 5, 6

I guess I should have voted "other" as well. I believe it just is not really kind to the dog when Disney is a vacation where people are in the parks for hours and hours on end. Pet sitting or boarding at home seems better to the dog.

Two of my kids are mildly afraid of dogs...it has gotten better as they have dealt with very well-trained dogs. However, I do worry that all it can take is one negative incident and they would be afraid again.

I also don't think the rooms will get cleaned enough. I really don't have anything against dogs...they are cute. But everyone I know who has a dog also has a house that smells like dog. (No matter how clean the person is)

Didn't read all the post but will the dog just stay in the room while the family is at the park or a kennel? I don't see the purpose of bringing a dog to Disney unless it is a true service dog.

Didn't read all the post but will the dog just stay in the room while the family is at the park or a kennel? I don't see the purpose of bringing a dog to Disney unless it is a true service dog.

The current policy allows the dog to be left alone in the room for up to 7 hours. No size or breed restrictions, and no requirement for the dog to be placed in a crate when owners are not in the room.

Dan

On the whole I'm usually for resorts allowing dogs, especially when they do it by having certain rooms dogs (and all pets for that matter) can stay in with their owner. HOWEVER at Walt Disney World I'm not really that into it for the following reasons.

1. You are at a theme park destination,what are you going to do, leave your dog alone in the room/a crate for hours at a time while you go to the park? They aren't allowed anywhere on property aside from your hotel so you're essentially just bringing them to ignore them. Not cool man.

2. Disney already has an awesome kennel. And when I say awesome, I mean blow your mind fantastic. I have actually taken my dog to Disney World and boarded him there* because, honestly, I couldn't bare to be parted with him for more than 24 hours. Say what you will, but I love that dog. He got to stay in a super awesome kennel, and I could take a break from my family fun to go walk him in the special dog walk/park area. I knew he was well looked after and comfortable with people to tend to his needs while I was away. I think they even had special things like treats you can get them and extra walks/play time. So by holing them up in your room, you're essentially denying them their own vacation. Why would you want this for a furry friend you love enough to take to Disney World?

So yeah, I don't like it cuz I think for a vacation like Disney World you're just being mean to the dog by taking them and leaving them in your room. Go ahead, bring you dog, but leave them in the kennel. Now, I will say, I could see a situation where you have the dog sleep in your room with you and take him to the kennel as doggy daycare before you go to the park and pick him up after. But that's a lot of back and forth and time to take just dropping the dog off in doggy day care, especially when the kennel is so nice, but if you're that attached at least that doesn't make your poor dog have to sit around bored in the room all day with nothing to do but tear up the carpet.

*I've boarded our dog on MANY occasions, our cat at least a couple of times and once we went with the dog, the cat and the ferret. (What can I say, I was 8.5 months pregnant (baby moon) and crazy sentimental about not wanting to spend time away from my babies since I was gonna have to devote so much time to the new baby once it was born and I didn't want them to feel abandoned before that even happened. Pregnancy hormones are no flippin joke.) All the animals have been incredibly well looked after and even our cat was in good spirits when we went to say hi/go home! Before this kennel, my family used to board at the kennel in Fort Wilderness and it was lovely. We had two weimeraners and they loved it there. Yes we'd take them both and we'd go walk them in the morning and at night, sometimes also mid day. All this to say that Disney has a long tradition of awesome kennels so the need for them at your resort is just not there with this being such a better option.

I voted "other" you should have included all of the above as a choice because that's my answer. I have a dog, I love my dog but I would not bring my dog to Disney. Several people have also mentioned that's it's wrong to leave your dog locked up in your hotel room while you are out romping about the parks. I agree 100% with this. Even if your pooch is used to staying alone at home all day, you are not at home and the dog will clearly be out of their comfort zone. I wouldn't do that to my dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter