Poly Tower Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
They absolutely could do this with the rooms at the new tower! Its just they can't do that with the current PVB rooms.

Matter of fact, what a better way to support it being new than to have unique types of rooms that would cause a current PVB owner to want to buy it!!!
Even if it’s the same association, I would expect many Poly owners would want to add on to be able to book the larger accommodations in the new building, especially for those whose families have grown.

Reactions: ehh
As to mention above of a Poly1 inventory disruption in early July 2024 and possibly June, the reservation system is currently showing Poly as fully open for reservations for those times. Thus, it was likely a glitch -- one which has happened for 11-month out times at other resorts a number of times in the past.
No glitch, inventory disruption is still there. Inventory is even going through a normal 'weekend cycle' where full inventory is available (if it's like any of the other resort with an unannounced refurb, I expect it to be updated Monday when someone can manually enter the reduction).

I can see that and because RIV already has the restrictions, I don't think it would matter because resale points are already not valid!! As a RIV owner, I could certainly get on board with that.

But, even if they did a new 2nd resort there, I'd be adding on for sure!!!
I keep thinking that the land that Aruba is on now with it's proximity to the skyliner that is perhaps even better than RIV has just become too valuable for Disney to keep it as a Moderate, but we shall see.

Even if it’s the same association, I would expect many Poly owners would want to add on to be able to book the larger accommodations in the new building, especially for those whose families have grown.

But, they don't have to add on direct...they can go resale. The only way a current PVB owner will choose direct for use at the tower is if DVD has to lower the price to compete with it...which is what has happened with VGF.

And, there is the million dollar question as to why everyone still goes one way or the other! What I thought was an interesting move was pricing VDH @ $230 when the other active resorts are still at $217/point.

But, then again, it was probably because we are going to see the $217 go to $230 sometime in the next 4 or 5 months to set up for this project and FW in 2024...since it went to $217 last December and they tend to do yearly increases of base price.

As a PVB1 owner, I don't see this at all. If it's a new association, then you have to manage 2 separate sets of points, and you can't combine anything until 7 months. So, if you wanted a 2 Bedroom, even every 3 years, you are probably looking at an annual 150 point purchase to get to 450 which will most likely be enough to have a week in a 2-Bedroom once every 3 years with banking and borrowing. So, that is a $30,000+ investment, plus all of the extra dues that come with it.

But why would I want to do that when I can just expand PVB1 (or something else, like SSR) that I can just get resale for much less and if I need a 1/2 Bedroom, I can just grab one at 7 months at VGF, BLT, CCV, or BRV.

I wonder how many people own both CCV and BRV? That may give an indication.

ETA: Just saw you meant the same association. Then yes, in that case, I would imagine a number of 50-100 point add-ons...

I feel like comparing it to Riviera and the Villas at Disneyland Hotel is a misleading comparison though. Riviera was BRAND NEW, and the Disneyland Hotel didn't have any DVC rooms previously, so they had no choice but to make both of them new associations. The more similar comparison would be Grand Floridian. While not apples to apples, it's certainly a better comparison than Riviera or Villas at Disneyland Hotel.
Remember the “new” studios at GF were converted hotel rooms….

This is new construction…..
If the mouse is trying to take back control of his sand box it make a lot of sense that this will be a new HOA….

In all honesty. It is SO small, if they don’t make it a new HOA I personally have zero interest in it…

Remember the “new” studios at GF were converted hotel rooms….

This is new construction…..
If the mouse is trying to take back control of his sand box it make a lot of sense that this will be a new HOA….

In all honesty. It is SO small, if they don’t make it a new HOA I personally have zero interest in it…
The rooms at CCV were converted hotel rooms as well and they were rolled into a new HOA. Different circumstances, admittedly...

(Jambo House were converted hotel rooms as well)

The rooms at CCV were converted hotel rooms as well and they were rolled into a new HOA. Different circumstances, admittedly...

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they also include the cabins on the water into that HOA too?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they also include the cabins on the water into that HOA too?
Correct. And, to continue your line of thought, Kidani was new construction as well. That said, I'm not sure how much that plays into the association decision. Personally, I very much would have liked VGF2 to be its own association. It has really put pressure on bookings, especially Deluxe Studios, in the existing VGF1 building.

I think it comes down to how best can DVD sell it. As discussed ad nauseam in this thread, there are both pros and cons for DVD to do it either way. I think that @Sandisw is correct in that DVD will lean whichever way they think will move direct sales the most. The question is... is it mainly new buyers and they want to keep restrictions or do they want to tap into more add-ons and are still waffling on restrictions (like VGF2). It will be interesting and I can see them going either way.

I think they can do improvements, like when they added the 5th bed to some studios. So they don't have to stick to the exact letter of the POS.
The Murphy beds are, by the letter, not sofa bed, and yet they're switching those and no one questions it because it's a net improvement.
However, they cannot remove key amenities like a kitchenette or the second bathroom. Those are guaranteed to remain as they are.

An example of a modification they can do. When BLT first opened, the studio bathroom did not have a sink. It was the two in the kitchenette area. So many people complained that any room with a toilet should have a sink that Disney modified all studios before it was sold out. Even rooms declared received this update.

As others have stated, it is a mix.

In our case, we just signed paperwork for a PVB resale. After they announce and we have an idea of amenities, etc we may be buyers of same association because we likely sell all our points at other resorts. In this scenario, we are less concerned about # of Tower rooms in each category/view it is additional flexibility. We still want ability to book at new restricted resorts (example, the once rumored front of Epcot or YC).

Flip side, if Tower at Polynesian is its own association, the number of rooms in each category and view becomes a critical part of our decision.

But, they don't have to add on direct...they can go resale. The only way a current PVB owner will choose direct for use at the tower is if DVD has to lower the price to compete with it...which is what has happened with VGF.
I suspect most DVC owners are unaware or only know a bit about resale. We on the boards are a tiny amount of owners. Entire timeshare provides significant evidence.
Even people who own, often only think about adding on based on DVD advertising or while they are on a trip.
And, there is the million dollar question as to why everyone still goes one way or the other! What I thought was an interesting move was pricing VDH @ $230 when the other active resorts are still at $217/point.

But, then again, it was probably because we are going to see the $217 go to $230 sometime in the next 4 or 5 months to set up for this project and FW in 2024...since it went to $217 last December and they tend to do yearly increases of base price.
I think you are right about price increase coming.
However, VDH sales and pricing may be impacted much more by GCH huge success than any WDW property. I haven’t looked at GCH pricing or resale in years. My impression is VDH price is probably a bargain compared to GCH (and GCH resale used to be near impossible to get).

An example of a modification they can do. When BLT first opened, the studio bathroom did not have a sink. It was the two in the kitchenette area. So many people complained that any room with a toilet should have a sink that Disney modified all studios before it was sold out. Even rooms declared received this update.

Thst was simply changing the location of it but didn’t change the amenities in the unit. Thst is different than changing a side/Murphy bed to a real bed and getting rid of a couch.

And while I agree that many buyers who are new are not aware of resale, but once they do buy, I think they become aware of it.

So, it still comes down to what DVD decides what will best fit into short term and long term goals and what works well to sell against RIV, VDH, FW cabins and VGF.

My guess is VGF will be determined to be “sold out” by the time the tower goes for sale. And that would put all others but AUL with restrictions, which seems like it’d play well to make Poly tower new with them.

Last edited:
Correct. And, to continue your line of thought, Kidani was new construction as well. That said, I'm not sure how much that plays into the association decision. Personally, I very much would have liked VGF2 to be its own association. It has really put pressure on bookings, especially Deluxe Studios, in the existing VGF1 building.

I think it comes down to how best can DVD sell it. As discussed ad nauseam in this thread, there are both pros and cons for DVD to do it either way. I think that @Sandisw is correct in that DVD will lean whichever way they think will move direct sales the most. The question is... is it mainly new buyers and they want to keep restrictions or do they want to tap into more add-ons and are still waffling on restrictions (like VGF2). It will be interesting and I can see them going either way.
Kidani was and CCV were both built before Disney, or in the early stages of Disney fighting the box around DVC resale….

Kidani was and CCV were both built before Disney, or in the early stages of Disney fighting the box around DVC resale….

To add, Kidsni was part of the initial plan for AKV. It was not done later, like the treehouses were at SSR

And, they had no choice with CCV because of BRV having an expiration in 2042.

didn’t they also include the cabins on the water into that HOA too?
The CCV cabins were built as part of the creation of CCV. They didn't exist beforehand. IOW, the villas inside the main building were conversions of hotel rooms, but the cabins were new builds.

The CCV cabins were built as part of the creation of CCV. They didn't exist beforehand. IOW, the villas inside the main building were conversions of hotel rooms, but the cabins were new builds.
Correct, like the poly tower is being built as it did not exist beforehand……

But for all intents all of the “room” share a lot of infrastructure…..

Similar to BLT and the Contemporary….

Correct, like the poly tower is being built as it did not exist beforehand……

But for all intents all of the “room” share a lot of infrastructure…..

Similar to BLT and the Contemporary….
Yes, definitely. My comment was for the benefit of others who might not know the history and get the wrong impression that the cabins were part of WL before they became CCV.

Where is the precedent for Disney adding on to an existing resort by name and making it a separate association? I'll wait.

'

CCV could not have been rolled into BRV. When CCV went on sale in 2017, BRV had 25 years left before it expired. Under Florida leasehold condominium law, which allows the condominiums built on leased land to be sold as deeded real estate rather than just leased, a resort, when it opens, must have at least a 40-year life. and thus CCV needed to be a separate DVC resort (unless DVC first extended the life of BRV to at least 2057 so it could add CCV to it).

When the new building was added to VGF, and when the treehouses were added to SSR, VGF and SSR still had more than 40 years left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter