Poly Tower Speculation

Obvious example is CCV. They could have just done a flip and folded it into BR, like they did for VGF2. Instead, they kept the chart and extended the contract, both losers for Disney.
I can understand why VGF2 was seen as a negative for the VGF1 owners as it increased pressure on Deluxe Studios, but can you explain why this was a loss for Disney?

Also, why was Copper Creek considered a loss for Disney?

I can understand why VGF2 was seen as a negative for the VGF1 owners as it increased pressure on Deluxe Studios, but can you explain why this was a loss for Disney?

Also, why was Copper Creek considered a loss for Disney?
DVC has a few levers to make money. The obvious one is price. The others are more subtle: restrictions, charts, length of contract.

I would expect Poly2 to use all of them. I would not be surprised to see a 40 year contract in a new association.

Personally, I hope they rename Polynesian Village Resort to Polynesian Resort.

Prior to the tower, I believe Disney used the Kauai island "no higher than a coconut palm" (3 story maximum) building restriction. With the tower, it's not what many would classify as a village anymore.

Everything except tower is part of the village section. Tower section gets it's own name.

Obvious example is CCV. They could have just done a flip and folded it into BR, like they did for VGF2. Instead, they kept the chart and extended the contract, both losers for Disney.

Copper Creek is not named Wilderness or Boulder Ridge.

DVC has a few levers to make money. The obvious one is price. The others are more subtle: restrictions, charts, length of contract.

I would expect Poly2 to use all of them. I would not be surprised to see a 40 year contract in a new association.
That still doesn't really explain why you think DVD's approach with VGF2 was "a loss" so I'm hoping you can further expand on that....

Personally, I hope they rename Polynesian Village Resort to Polynesian Resort.

Prior to the tower, I believe Disney used the Kauai island "no higher than a coconut palm" (3 story maximum) building restriction. With the tower, it's not what many would classify as a village anymore.

Everything except tower is part of the village section. Tower section gets it's own name.

They did rename it to "Disney's Polynesian Resort" around 1985.
In 2014 they changed it back to the original "Disney's Polynesian Village Resort".
I believe the change back to the original name was due, in part, to years of heavy feedback from the resort guests.

In 2014 they changed it back to the original "Disney's Polynesian Village Resort".
I believe the change back to the original name was due, in part, to years of heavy feedback from the resort guests.
And maybe they already had the new tower penciled in and needed the name to include "village" because it would have 3 different resorts in it!
My vote for the new name is....

The Luau Cove Villas at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort​

Thanks for the idea, Sandi !
I like that name too.

I didn’t remember the original used Village. Like that name without the tower. Feels like Walt had a say in that name.

Personal opinion, village name doesn’t apply anymore with tower. Feels more like a big city with the tower being even taller than it’s GF neighbor.

I didn’t remember the original used Village. Like that name without the tower. Feels like Walt had a say in that name.

Personal opinion, village name doesn’t apply anymore with tower. Feels more like a big city with the tower being even taller than it’s GF neighbor.
Walt’s original plan actually called for a tower along with the long houses. I like the new tower much better than the original concept.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 28
That still doesn't really explain why you think DVD's approach with VGF2 was "a loss" so I'm hoping you can further expand on that....
They sold 42 (now 40) year contracts for full price, amped up the points chart to the highest level at WDW. It was only 2M points, so would have been tough to make freestanding.

I was surprised at how low the initial pricing was, but everything else seemed textbook to me. Especially the escalating charts.

They sold 42 (now 40) year contracts for full price, amped up the points chart to the highest level at WDW. It was only 2M points, so would have been tough to make freestanding.

I was surprised at how low the initial pricing was, but everything else seemed textbook to me. Especially the escalating charts.

Which supports it was a pretty big win for DVD in being able to sell it like they have, doesn’t it?

I don’t see anyway it can be seen as a loss for DVD in any way.

I think rolling in the Poly tower into PVB, given the cost to build it would be a different. Story.

Then again, I don’t think any decision DVd has made hasn’t found a positive aspect to it.

Even with RIV and AUL…the undeclared inventory is making them lots of money from cash guests.

Walt’s original plan actually called for a tower along with the long houses. I like the new tower much better than the original concept.
IMO, Walt's original plan was an eyesore. Glad they didn't build that.

If sales at the tower are a success, would Disney consider replacing the longhouses on that side of Polynesian Resort with another tower in 10 years or so? Can even make it part of the tower association. Starts making the resort closer to Walt's high-rise vision, but provides a clear old world (longhouses) vs new world (towers) side of the Polynesian Resort.

If sales at the tower are a success, would Disney consider replacing the longhouses on that side of Polynesian Resort with another tower in 10 years or so?
Those rooms are $800/night. Even now, when your stroller might be parked against a construction barrier and your view is that mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter