POR or POFQ?

Deanie1

DIS Veteran
Which resort would you choose? We are doing a split stay to save money - 6 days at Pop and 5 days at one of the Port Orleans resorts. I love POR - everything about it, the pool, the food court, the beautiful landscaping - but I feel that we would have to pay for a preferred location, which has really gone up in price. It’s even more money as I am paying in Canadian dollars. I like the looks of POFQ but I am not sure how the food court and bus situation is. Do they have build your own salads there? Anybody been lately? The pool is important to us but since we are going right after Thanksgiving 2020, it might be too cool to use it. BTW, it will be my sister and I, both in our 60’s (but young at heart)! All thoughts and opinions very appreciated!

We are debating between the two for an upcoming trip. We have stayed at POR twice and loved the lush landscaping, food court, and quiet pools. We have never stayed at POFQ but did walk around it and thought is was a beautiful resort too. It is much more compact than POR. The single bus stop at POFQ in my book is a benefit. However, the food court and gift shop at POFQ seemed considerably smaller than POR to me. And while the compactness of the resort makes walking around easier, I did wonder if it was too compact. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this. Do you feel that there are too many guests squeezed into one spot at POFQ? At POFQ, I also wonder if we would miss the quiet pools for relaxing. When we were there the main pool was pretty crowded and active.

We are debating between the two for an upcoming trip. We have stayed at POR twice and loved the lush landscaping, food court, and quiet pools. We have never stayed at POFQ but did walk around it and thought is was a beautiful resort too. It is much more compact than POR. The single bus stop at POFQ in my book is a benefit. However, the food court and gift shop at POFQ seemed considerably smaller than POR to me. And while the compactness of the resort makes walking around easier, I did wonder if it was too compact. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this. Do you feel that there are too many guests squeezed into one spot at POFQ? At POFQ, I also wonder if we would miss the quiet pools for relaxing. When we were there the main pool was pretty crowded and active.

I've stayed at both. I don't remember POFQ feeling squeezed in as far as size is concerned.

I only went to the food court for breakfast once or twice at POFQ, it might be a little smaller than POR, but I only went to that one a handful of times. I don't eat at the food court often enough to pay attention. 🤷‍♀️

You could always book POFQ and request building 7, it's not that long a walk to one of the POR quiet pools maybe 5 minutes or so?

We like POR better. IMHO, the resort only feels more spread out - I don't think it really is. Preferred buildings are closer to the pool and the lobby, but the walk from the other buildings isn't that bad. You could always take the bus (any bus) around to the lobby - it's usually the last stop before the buses head to the parks - check with the driver when you get on, of course.

I had POR booked for our trip the end of this month but read just 1 too many negative reviews regarding updates going on and moved to POFQ.

We’ve stayed at both resorts. POR is okay. I may go back some day, but only in a preferred room. I love POFQ though. The standard rooms are perfect for us. :)

I've stayed at POR twice now and will be at FQ for the first time this upcoming trip. On our last trip, my brother and I walked to French Quarter almost every morning for chicken biscuits and the walk was not bad at all. I imagine the reverse is true if you want to take part in Riverside's amenities!

I've stayed at both. We love the boat to DS from either resort, we did stay in the "special" POR rooms (with the lighted headboards etc.) that was fun and in a great location. I think you'd enjoy either!

I'd stay at POFQ. Are you aware that POFQ and POR are considered"sister" resorts. That means that you may use the amenities of both resorts.

the smaller size of POFQ with only one bus stop is appealing.

While we haven't stayed at POR we are fans of POFQ. It's quiet and doesn't matter where you are placed it's only a short walk to the old court or bus stop. There's only one bus stop and we have always managed to get on with only a short wait: times on the info board were accurate. On the one occasion we shared a bus with POR on the way back from the parks it seemed such a long way round for the drop off! Last time we were in Building 7 which was only a short walk to POR and all the amenities there. There's always the boat as well if you want a picturesque ride. Loved it!

Mrs TT

I'd stay at POFQ. Are you aware that POFQ and POR are considered"sister" resorts. That means that you may use the amenities of both resorts.

the smaller size of POFQ with only one bus stop is appealing.
We stay at French Quarter this past July and requested building 7 so we could enjoy the amenities of both resorts. The walk to POR was less than 10 minutes.

Another vote for POFQ. It's is one of the most relaxing resorts. POR was a nice resort, but we enjoyed FQ much more. We did walk over to POR and it only takes a few minutes.

I’ve done both and preferred FQ. I do think I enjoyed the pool area a little more at riverside

we have stayed at both por once fq 3 times and have booked fq 2 more times in 2020 we like how small it is and it is very peaceful it is our favorite place to stay in Disney

POR have been our families go to resort for years. Then, as we get older and slower, we switched to POFQ. My husband and I both miss POR a lot. We miss the lush, tropical feel of the Bayou area. IMO, the Mill is the best QS in WDW. The variety is great. Their resort shop is large and unique. We always walk down to POR to shop there and eat there as well.
We are not big fans of the Mardi Gras vibe at POFQ. But unless we suddenly get younger :), we will stay at FQ for now.
Both are nice, but POR has it all IMO. We also liked the quiet pools in every area.
If you don't want to pay preferred room prices, you might try bldg. 26 or 27, as they are next to preferred but don't cost as much.

The reason the food court is smaller at POFQ is that it has half as many rooms, so it doesn't need the space.

I've stayed at POFQ but never at POR.

I loved POFQ. Small, cute, one bus stop, nice food court and a good vibe. It's so colorful and vibrant. The food was really good at POFQ too. We had omelets and beignets and waffles. I think we did lunch once.

We had building 4 and our room faced the parking lot and was a 60 second walk to the bus stop. The wait was never long and the buses weren't massively packed at the end of the day going back from the parks. One night at the end of our MK day there were about 10 people in line for the bus. We loved it!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter