Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I bought EBCI this morning for extra points, but it was on flights I booked months ago...
has anyone confirmed that this purchase of early bird will qualiify? I have two upcoming trips and I never spend money to do that but this might be an incentive but Id be mad if it was "non qualifying".

has anyone confirmed that this purchase of early bird will qualiify? I have two upcoming trips and I never spend money to do that but this might be an incentive but Id be mad if it was "non qualifying".

Good question as it doesn't specify EBCI as an eligible purchase. The small print states "up to $100 on purchases made directly with Southwest Airlines, including flight, inflight, Southwest gift card, Rapid Rewards Points Center, and on Southwest Vacation packages ("Qualifying Purchases")". Not sure if they consider EBCI to be part of a flight purchase or not.

Our usual early non-stop route seems to no longer exist and prices are double what we've ever paid. It's nice to be booking flights again though!

Ugg. I hope they do! It was money I was spending either way, so that part doesn't matter... but now I'm left with the "do I purchase gift cards too" dilemma.

Oh wow! Yesterday I decided not to wait for a possible red banner and just go ahead and pay an addition 1,600 points to change my flight MCo to an earlier time and this morning my flight increased from $116 to $158!

Oh wow! Yesterday I decided not to wait for a possible red banner and just go ahead and pay an addition 1,600 points to change my flight MCo to an earlier time and this morning my flight increased from $116 to $158!
I booked yesterday morning for my November trip and when I checked again this morning, the same flight that cost me 9,500 pts yesterday is now almost 16,000 pts..

PHEW!!!

I purchased the gift card. The 5,000 points don't show in your account instantly, which makes me nervous. I hope it worked.

it won’t show up until your billing statement closes just like any other purchase. The extra points will show as “bonus points”. I just earned an additional 3000 points on our vacation in Maine last month via their 6x points for vacation travel.

Last edited:
I booked flights yesterday but waited til today to add EBCI so I could get the extra points. When I try to do so, it says
Ineligible for EarlyBird Check-In®
  • Thank you for your interest in EarlyBird Check-In®. The passengers and flights associated with this itinerary do not qualify for EarlyBird Check-In® purchase at this time. Please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) for assistance.
Of course, I am not going to try to call, but it is extremely irritating.

Has anyone been able to buy anything other than flights?

Edit - I finally got through to someone on FB Messenger. The problem was that we were "granted A-List Status" and thus the website didn't think I needed to buy EBCI. However, our A-List Status is only good for travel through June 30, 2021 and our flight is in November. The CS rep was able to remove our RR#s from the reservation so I could go in and buy EBCI. I then had to add our RR#s and TT#s back to the reservation. Luckily I just kept working while I was waiting for a response, so no time wasted, and I got 4,000 points for buying it.

I am now trying to decide if I should buy $100 gift cards with our 2 remaining SWA credit cards. We tend to only buy tickets with our points, so not sure how long it would take to use the $220 for fees (at a rate of $11.20/flight). 11,000 points are nice, but I would have to keep track of those GFs for a long time.

After reading recent posts I am thinking I should have asked if EBCI qualifies for the 50x bonus.

I am now trying to decide if I should buy $100 gift cards with our 2 remaining SWA credit cards. We tend to only buy tickets with our points, so not sure how long it would take to use the $220 for fees (at a rate of $11.20/flight). 11,000 points are nice, but I would have to keep track of those GFs for a long time.

Just so you, you're a GENIUS! I wanted to spend the $100 on a SW gift card for the 5k in points, even though I have over 200k in points, I just felt the need for 5k more... :rotfl2:

but for the life of me I couldn't figure out WHAT I'd use it for - then you said...PAY FOR TAXES!!!!

mic drop.

I can just keep the digital gift card in my "travel information drawer" and BAM, my taxes are covered!

THANK YOU!

Good grief. I really gotta get our SW card back. Husbands credit was hacked last year and while we did get the $ taken off, Chase ended up closing that acct. It's taken a really long time (it feels like) to get all of that taken care of and get our credit scores back up. I want the good deals lol

but for the life of me I couldn't figure out WHAT I'd use it for - then you said...PAY FOR TAXES!!!!

mic drop.

I can just keep the digital gift card in my "travel information drawer" and BAM, my taxes are covered!

THANK YOU!
I was thinking I could use the SW Gift Cards for in-flight adult beverage purchases and then I read " use it to pay for taxes on flights" and I was like darn! :headache: ... ya that's probably smart.... could use it for that too. :rotfl2:

Just so you, you're a GENIUS! I wanted to spend the $100 on a SW gift card for the 5k in points, even though I have over 200k in points, I just felt the need for 5k more... :rotfl2:

mic drop.

THANK YOU!
Agree!! Paying for the taxes is brilliant! (I am in the same boat- have lots of points to use before I need to pay cash!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter