Prices for November are outrageous!

This. The studios just aren't the same as a regular resort room. With the second bed out it feels a little bit like someone's camping out in the room, with the living space taken up and sofa cushions everywhere. If you only need one bed it's fine, but if you need two beds, it just isn't as good as a regular resort room.

That, and the fact that once you've given Disney all the money for decades of trips in advance, you're essentially their hostage in terms of ticket/annual pass price increases & customer-unfriendly policies, such as shorter park hours, that seem to be constantly occurring at Disney World.
I disagree on both your points.

I actually feel that a studio is better than a resort room. When the sofa is closed you have a lot more to move around in without a second bed in the room. The time that the bed is open (and the cushions tucked behind the bed or along the window) is small compared to the amount of time you spend in the studio with it closed. I like coming back from the parks and having that visual of a big open space between the bed and the windows instead of a second bed. In addition, a studio also has a microwave and toaster for quick breakfasts and snacks.

As for being “held hostage” by Disney, that is far from the truth. I can sell my DVC points at any time for $40-$100 more than I paid for them.

Yeah. It is insane. I have a friend paying $700 a night at Boardwalk that mid-November week. It is because it is the 50th and the last week of Food and Wine I guess. We are paying $375 a night for a moderate motel. I usually pay that at the Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental when I travel and you get a lot more. People are paying it. Coronado Springs only have $1000 a night rooms left, same with Contemporary, and Grand Floridian is $900 a night (basic room). $500 for the cabins at Fort Wilderness.

I'm also averaging near $700 a night for my Yacht Club reservation the week of Thanksgiving. I'm looking through my old emails and see my confirmation for Polynesian in the summer of 2014 for $287 a night (Summer Discount) and Thanksgiving 2014, Club level at the Poly for $480 a night. I didn't realize how much of a change this year's prices are until I saw this thread!

I'm also averaging near $700 a night for my Yacht Club reservation the week of Thanksgiving. I'm looking through my old emails and see my confirmation for Polynesian in the summer of 2014 for $287 a night (Summer Discount) and Thanksgiving 2014, Club level at the Poly for $480 a night. I didn't realize how much of a change this year's prices are until I saw this thread!
True but you have to remember, some of that is the insane travel demand from his fall now that people are vaccinated. The post you were replying to me mentioned four seasons and mandarin oriental—we were pricing those for a non disney stay in october and rates were $1500 and up per night.

True but you have to remember, some of that is the insane travel demand from his fall now that people are vaccinated. The post you were replying to me mentioned four seasons and mandarin oriental—we were pricing those for a non disney stay in october and rates were $1500 and up per night.
There is no Disney hotel that comes close to the Four Seasons.

We like the Swan & Dolphin and sometimes stay at those for a change.

Currently, the Dolphin is going for at little as $292 per night (AAA) for Thanksgiving week. With taxes and fees, it's $368. That's about half the price of the Yacht Club.

The Dolphin is a short walk from the Yacht Club.

Hopefully they will start opening the other value resorts
THIS!!!!
We fully expected Wine & Dine to be cancelled or virtual however with yesterday’s announcement that it would be live the Cheapest room available was a standard view at AKL for $569 a night

normally we stay at movies or pop for races

was able to book AOA little mermaid room (movies had also been open but skyliner…) for January and Pop for April both at what we pay on average for races

I've been looking at December and am astounded at the rates - and lack of availability!
In recent years, Disney has been extremely popular in December. The WDW hotel occupancy rate is over 90% in December, meaning it's hard to find more than a handful of consecutive nights open in normal times.

This is not a normal year.

Demand is way up due to the easing of COVID restrictions and 4 large WDW hotels are still closed. Disney simply cannot hire fast enough.

Those 4 hotels (POR, POFQ, AS-Music, AS-Sports) are among WDW's largest and represent an incredible 30% of WDW's non-DVC rooms.

All things considered, it's surprising that there is any available for December.

What I don’t understand is that most places (restaurants, stores, venues) are not limiting the amount of people they let into a business. Universal Studios are not limiting capacity at any part of their parks or restaurants. Disney probably has a few thousand more guests that would like room reservations in November and December but yet they aren’t opening up any of their closed resorts? As much as Disney likes making money, this is all very surprising. 🤔

What I don’t understand is that most places (restaurants, stores, venues) are not limiting the amount of people they let into a business. Universal Studios are not limiting capacity at any part of their parks or restaurants. Disney probably has a few thousand more guests that would like room reservations in November and December but yet they aren’t opening up any of their closed resorts? As much as Disney likes making money, this is all very surprising. 🤔
It all comes down to two things at this point
1) STAFFING
I wouldn’t be shocked to they open say sports OR music + French quarter by years end but the other all star/riverside not till early 2022 because of this

2) the wear and tear from being idle so long

We just booked a December trip today as backup in case our planned cruise doesn’t happen. For 2 standard rooms at Pop for 4 nights and 4 day tickets is $1000 more than our 5 night cruise (also 2 rooms). We are normally deluxe people, but my husband had a heart attack when he heard that price and he said it wasn’t worth it to cram into one room with teenage boys! He said we could buy a car for our son for that! We looked at other times of the year but the cost wasn’t much different and not as convenient for us.

We still might buy into DVC. Not sure yet. $50,000 initially though is the norm, right? That is what I researched through the years. Might be more now.

We joined in 2018, while on a cruise and purchased 175 points for around $20,000. We stayed at RR for 10 nights in a 1 BRV in 1/20 for 387 points, and will be staying at SSR for 9 nights (3 in a studio and 6 in a 1BRV) for 225 points this Nov. The key is to bank and borrow points and not go every year.

Not sure that will happen. The price for any holiday or weekend travel is ridiculous. And for the flights I have been checking, it doesn't go down. When I look at the seating charts the planes are empty.

We flew on Delta from Madison for $112/person in 1/20, now they want $500 - $600/person for a flight this Nov. We'll be driving to Orlando from WI.

The prices have been really going up it’s crazy. $600+ a night for deluxe. And $360 for a moderate 😱. Crazy For essentially a motel type room with outside entry and clothes rack in bathroom!
I think in part it is the celebration and in part trying to recoup profit losses from Covid. They are gouging!
Might be time for a Universal visit. You can stay @ the Portafino (their top tier hotel for half the price). I suppose Disney just wants to cater to a small Elite audience...which Is fine I guess... I can afford it...but $600 per night -- not including any food or park passes... So... really.... it's probably $1000.00 per day/night -- and most people probably go for.. 4-5 nights. Maybe they need to pay for that failed Star Wars endeavor. Reviews have not been flattering. I heard that one area cost more than all of Epcot. Don't get me wrong...I'm a Disney fan... been there on property many times. I just can't justify the expense for the value I get out of the experience.

Might be time for a Universal visit. You can stay @ the Portafino (their top tier hotel for half the price). I suppose Disney just wants to cater to a small Elite audience...which Is fine I guess... I can afford it...but $600 per night -- not including any food or park passes... So... really.... it's probably $1000.00 per day/night -- and most people probably go for.. 4-5 nights. Maybe they need to pay for that failed Star Wars endeavor. Reviews have not been flattering. I heard that one area cost more than all of Epcot. Don't get me wrong...I'm a Disney fan... been there on property many times. I just can't justify the expense for the value I get out of the experience.
I’ve drawn the line awhile ago. I won’t pay that for a WDW deluxe. Our trips are always 10-14 days with a few exceptions. We live on the west coast so always went to WDW 2x a year and had APs. Disney has been charging more while giving less for a few years. We stopped getting AP and cut out our January trip when they doubled price of APs. I looked the other day and can’t believe Wdw 10 day hoppers are now $705 :scared: I pay less for my Universal AP.

Now most of our trips are Universal and have Universal APs. Love all their Deluxe. But mostly stay at HRH for the quick walk! Going to WDW in a few weeks becsuse it’s my adult daughters fav, staying at CRB. We had it booked pre pandemic and pushed it up to this Aug. then I have another set of 10 day hoppers I bought with no expiry. May be looking at one of the Hilton’s for that trip since on site perks are disappearing.
I have HRH booked again for Oct! One of the rare trips I’m only staying 8 days.

Last edited:
And December is even worst. The Villas are all booked for Christmas. We were lucky to be able to get a reservation with our points, but we couldn't afford it if we weren't a DVC member.

Dang. Before any vaccines were cleared last winter, I took a huge chance and put down a nonrefundable 50% rental deposit on a Poly DVC studio for October 2021. What a terrible time that was. Having a Disney vacay to look forward to really cheered me up, even though I knew it might be canceled. It was a gamble but now I’m only paying $399/night to stay at a monorail resort the week of the 50th.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter