Princess Tiana

I'm or Cinderella/Belle orogin...as a little girl was blonde hair and blue eyes now I'm brown hair & blue eyes, light skinned. My DD's both picked Cinderella dolls out as little girls because "She looks like me" DD (6) picked an Aurora doll because they look alike and have the same middle name just the other day at the Disney store. I think it's great that little girls of African American, biracial, Hispanic (any similar skin tones) have a Princess that they can identify with, ieven if only because they look the same.

Even as adults, we notice differences and should be mature enough to overlook them. But to say that we DON'T see and notice those differences in appearance (skin color, hair, weight, height, race, even accent when we speak) is a lie. It's how you act when you notice the difference that matters. There's a comedian Carlos Mencia who says basically that we're all different, it's OK and there's nothing worng with noticing and even celebrating the differences (being able to laugh about it) that makes the USA a great place. He basically says all races should be able to laugh about the things that make each race unique. Only then by noticing and being open about the differences will be be truly racially equal. Sorry to get off track, but that's my .02

I think it would also be great if Princess Tiana became a fixture at WDW, the parades, at PSB, meet n greets and I really hope that her image will be available to little girls everywhere. Maybe WDW is cashing in on the idea, but if it gives little girls to be a Princess like "Aurora, Cinderella, Belle, Snow White, Pochahontas, Mulan, Arial, or TIANA" then I'm all for it.

I have 2 boys so Im not too awful familiar with the Princess stories.....but did Disney change the story line on any of the other Princess stories for cultural reasons?

If Disney were going to change the story of ANY princess, I'd just rather they 'make up a whole new story' ......you know.....just totally create a new character.......that has no 'real' history to it. It can be just as magical! Fact is, regarding ANY culture, if you change the history in a movie like this (that is sure to be a huge hit), then what happens when the kids get older and open thei history books at school? You can't change history.....but you CAN make up a magical princess story for Disney purposes!

Why do you think they changed history?

There have always been middle class and rich black families in America.
Heck there were black slave owners.

Good for Disney:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Song Of The South deals with racial divides in the south.

Most of the princess stories are based on fantasy, why should this one be any different?
Why does her story have to be a fantasy?:confused3 How many HBCUs are in the surrounding area? With all the professors and graduates, there had to be middle class black communities in the area.

I have 2 boys so Im not too awful familiar with the Princess stories.....but did Disney change the story line on any of the other Princess stories for cultural reasons?

If Disney were going to change the story of ANY princess, I'd just rather they 'make up a whole new story' ......you know.....just totally create a new character.......that has no 'real' history to it. It can be just as magical! Fact is, regarding ANY culture, if you change the history in a movie like this (that is sure to be a huge hit), then what happens when the kids get older and open thei history books at school? You can't change history.....but you CAN make up a magical princess story for Disney purposes!

Why do you think they changed history?

There have always been middle class and rich black families in America.
Heck there were black slave owners.

I am sorry, but the reality in New Orleans in the 1900's was that there were not yet very many HBCU's in the area and the populations of those institutions that were there were anemic at best. I do not know the exact dates and numbers, but if I am not mistaken the closest in 1900 was Morehouse in Atlanta, and there were no more than a few hundred students at best. I do know that 98% of african americans in Orleans parish lived below the poverty line in 1900. The vast majority of them were employed in the service industry or day labor. Those outside the city worked largely as sharecroppers to the tune of at least 90%. I am sorry to say it, but that WAS the reality of life for african americans in the south in 1900, and romanticizing the situation does those who lived through it and had the courage to stand up and voice the fact that it was wrong a disservice. It cheapens everything that they stood for and leaves to current generation with no idea of what actually happened. They HAVE changed history with this story. Sorry, it is a fact! If you don't believe it I suggest picking up a good histroy of New Orleans in the library. I have done the reading, and I grew up in the area. I know the histroy and have met the people that lived it. There may have been a very few priviliged African Americans that escaped this life, but they are VERY rare exceptions!
Yes, it would have been better to have made up a completely fantasy world with no basis in reality than to twist and cheapen and entire era in American History!

I am sorry, but the reality in New Orleans in the 1900's was that there were not yet very many HBCU's in the area and the populations of those institutions that were there were anemic at best. I do not know the exact dates and numbers, but if I am not mistaken the closest in 1900 was Morehouse in Atlanta, and there were no more than a few hundred students at best. I do know that 98% of african americans in Orleans parish lived below the poverty line in 1900. The vast majority of them were employed in the service industry or day labor. Those outside the city worked largely as sharecroppers to the tune of at least 90%. I am sorry to say it, but that WAS the reality of life for african americans in the south in 1900, and romanticizing the situation does those who lived through it and had the courage to stand up and voice the fact that it was wrong a disservice. It cheapens everything that they stood for and leaves to current generation with no idea of what actually happened. They HAVE changed history with this story. Sorry, it is a fact! If you don't believe it I suggest picking up a good histroy of New Orleans in the library. I have done the reading, and I grew up in the area. I know the histroy and have met the people that lived it. There may have been a very few priviliged African Americans that escaped this life, but they are VERY rare exceptions!
Yes, it would have been better to have made up a completely fantasy world with no basis in reality than to twist and cheapen and entire era in American History!

But they did exist.

I don't have a problem with Disney telling a story that focuses on that aspect of our history.

I don't like that they are touting her as "the American Princess"

Neither do I. For me, the concept of an American Monarchy is off-putting. But from what I gather I think her princessification is connected to Maldonia, the land where Prince Naveen is from? princess:

That's true; however, Disney is heavily advertised on both major hip hop/r&b stations here in Atlanta and these are the stations that Joyner and Harvey are not affiliated with. It's very interesting how they broadcast live and there are many Disney execs on with them who are promoting diversity. I love the Mouse because when I go there I am in my own magical little world and I could care less about politics, religion, and other "normal" stuff! :wizard:

I agree with loving the Mouse because when I go also, I am in my own magical little world.

Why does it matter at all? I am just happy there is a new addition to the princesses.and I thought since Pocohantas was a native American and considered a Disney princess that she is the first American Princess.Or is Disney trying to say not really since it wasn't really "America" yet?

Oh my goodness, I had heard about the movie, but I hadn't seen the trailer until I clicked on the link for it in that bitter lady's article posted above. What a windbag!

The movie looks AWESOME, done up in true Disney style and beauty!!! WooHOOO!!! We've waited a long time for a new princess!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Can't wait to take DD to see it!! I also clicked on the link of the cast, and Oprah is one of the characters!

But they did exist.

I don't have a problem with Disney telling a story that focuses on that aspect of our history.

They may have existed, but this movie is NOT an accurate representation of what life was like in New Orleans at the time, and I think ti is wrong to portray the priviliged 1% of the population as the social norm of the time which is what this movie is doing. Just because there may have been one or two African American families of means in New Orleans at the time does not mean that the majority of the African American population of new orleans didn't live in poerty and take a subserviant role. Tose one or two families of means were NOT accepted into white society with open arms either. They were socially ostricized by both black and white. People like Josephine Baker had to leave the country in order to find any kind of real acceptance. No matter how hard people want to pretend it didn't happen, this era of histroy IS NOT going to go away and I think it is a serious mistake not to teach our children about it. It is simply ridiculous to bury your head in the sand and pretend that it never happened which is what Disney is asking people to do. It is simply wrong. It's like deciding that we don't like a portion of histroy so we are not going to teach it.
The name they have cosen bothers me as well. Tiana is NOT a typical African American name at the time. Things like Mary, Hattie, Helen, and Susan were the norm at the time. The reality of the situation was that white families didn't hire black maids with what they considered "odd" names. If mothers wanted their daughters to be employable they did not name them Tiana. Mabye Anna but not Tiana.

I am excited too.It is a Disney movie, not a historical novel.Can we not enjoy it for what it is? Look at Pocohantas... I mean come on ,the historical inaccuracies were just so blatant...and sorry she was the first American Princess. When I want history I pick up a book, when I want entertainment I go to Disney.

I am excited too.It is a Disney movie, not a historical novel.Can we not enjoy it for what it is? Look at Pocohantas... I mean come on ,the historical inaccuracies were just so blatant...and sorry she was the first American Princess. When I want history I pick up a book, when I want entertainment I go to Disney.

:thumbsup2 I have a friend whose mother is Chinese, and she did not care for the way the Chinese were portrayed in Mulan. I don't know what the problem was, but :confused3.

I personally would not care to have the history of racial injustice conversation with my DD after seeing a princess movie, especially if she were 3 or 4 years old. There is a time and place for learning and understanding the cruelty and bigotry in our society, but I don't think that time/place is in the car on the way home from a Disney movie. JMHO of course.

They may have existed, but this movie is NOT an accurate representation of what life was like in New Orleans at the time, and I think ti is wrong to portray the priviliged 1% of the population as the social norm of the time which is what this movie is doing. Just because there may have been one or two African American families of means in New Orleans at the time does not mean that the majority of the African American population of new orleans didn't live in poerty and take a subserviant role. Tose one or two families of means were NOT accepted into white society with open arms either. They were socially ostricized by both black and white. People like Josephine Baker had to leave the country in order to find any kind of real acceptance. No matter how hard people want to pretend it didn't happen, this era of histroy IS NOT going to go away and I think it is a serious mistake not to teach our children about it. It is simply ridiculous to bury your head in the sand and pretend that it never happened which is what Disney is asking people to do. It is simply wrong. It's like deciding that we don't like a portion of histroy so we are not going to teach it.
The name they have cosen bothers me as well. Tiana is NOT a typical African American name at the time. Things like Mary, Hattie, Helen, and Susan were the norm at the time. The reality of the situation was that white families didn't hire black maids with what they considered "odd" names. If mothers wanted their daughters to be employable they did not name them Tiana. Mabye Anna but not Tiana.

It's a FAIRY TALE not an historic movie.

There also weren't people that turned into frogs back then either, what was Disney thinking making up a movie that was so inaccurate?! :confused:

Who cares if the story is accurate. It's a cartoon. I think it's great to have a new princess and she is a beautiful princess too! :goodvibes

There also weren't people that turned into frogs back then either, what was Disney thinking making up a movie that was so inaccurate?!

Hee, yeah, I'm fairly sure that is the greatest "historical inaccuracy"!

I'm thrilled with a new Princess of any kind. Yes, I'm sure there are marketing motivations, as Disney is a business, but if you see the previews...well, the movie is lovely. Clearly a lot of hard work and caring went into it. I've felt ever since Enchanted that the traditional animators were dying to show what they could do and what we've been missing (not that I don't love Pixar!).

My daughter was born in China. I love having Mulan as a Disney character, though she isn't considered a "princess", as she saved China but did not marry well. Heh. Clearly, there are a lot of liberties taken with historical characters and settings in all Disney fairy tales, but give me Belle, Ariel, Pocahontas and Mulan for my daughter to dres up as over Britney, Lindsey Lohan, etc. any day.

I'm just extremely excited for a new fairytale movie, and I don't care *what* color the princess is! It does bug me a little that so much emphasize is being put on promoting her race. Yes, it's wonderful that little girls with dark skin have a princess who resembles them- I totally get that! I love that Belle has brown hair like me. And I probably won't be dressing as Tiana for Halloween just because I wouldn't look right as her. (Not that it should stop any girl from dressing like a princess she doesn't resemble! I'm only talking about my personal choice.) I just don't like to see the whole movie perceived as a merely a marketing ploy! I hate that people are analyzing everything so much...can't we just enjoy the wonderful story for what it is and stop nitpicking?

Let's just celebrate the first fairytale movie since Aladdin came out in 1992!

Hopefully Tiana won't go the way of Giselle, however. I remember seeing a few Giselle dresses, and now it's like she never existed. My daughter loves Giselle, especially since she's more "modern" and more easy to relate to. Unfortunately, Disney seems to be in the market to cycle characters out of existence as quick as they can make them, and Giselle fans (of which there are a lot!) are disappointed upon arrival at WDW>

Maybe it is a good sign, though, that Tiana is showing up on the website, but I'll wait and see where she is a year or two from now, when Disney is pushing the next batch of merchandi$e. ;)

Hi. I don't post often, but I think you might want to read this if its hasn't been posted before.

http://www.theroot.com/views/enough-princesses?gt1=38002

I disagree completely. And I'm thrilled that this movie is coming out.

How ridiculous! My oldest daughter as a little girl wanted to be a princess or a fairy, etc. As she got older, she wanted to be a teacher and a photographer. Little boys often want to be superheroes, cowboys, cops or firemen (nothing wrong with that, however they are low paying dangerous jobs) and many of them grow up to want to be other things.

I am excited about the new princess and although we are very white (Caspar, glow-in-the-dark white), Meghan (my youngest daughter and five) will have Princess Tiana doll(s) and outfits, etc., just like she has Jasmine, Mulan, etc. along with her Belle, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella. All girls are princesses!

I'm just extremely excited for a new fairytale movie, and I don't care *what* color the princess is! It does bug me a little that so much emphasize is being put on promoting her race. Yes, it's wonderful that little girls with dark skin have a princess who resembles them- I totally get that! I love that Belle has brown hair like me. And I probably won't be dressing as Tiana for Halloween just because I wouldn't look right as her. (Not that it should stop any girl from dressing like a princess she doesn't resemble! I'm only talking about my personal choice.) I just don't like to see the whole movie perceived as a merely a marketing ploy! I hate that people are analyzing everything so much...can't we just enjoy the wonderful story for what it is and stop nitpicking?

Let's just celebrate the first fairytale movie since Aladdin came out in 1992!

Did Beauty and the Beast come out after this??

Aladdin was the first movie I took my son to and he will be twenty this November. :goodvibes He fell asleep halfway through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter