Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I always loved sunny yellow because it’s bright and cheery. When I was going through cancer treatment one of the counselors that made a difference to me asked me why I never wore yellow. It was a bit of a head scratcher, lol. So I did from then on try to incorporate more yellow into my life. And she had me buy flowers often because I love them. Sometimes I kill two birds with one stone and buy yellow flowers that brighten my week. I did buy a yellow top this year and I like wearing it. But the colors I like more today are jewel tones. Most of my house is a combination of both of those - yellow and jewel tones. Sounds weird but it’s homey.

We have some good news - DD passed her nursing boards so she’s finally come full circle and is an RN now! :goodvibes Since she was little she has always wanted to be a nurse so we’re very happy and proud that she’s realized her dream. She is also seeing a new young man who is very nice. So even though she just graduated in May, it seems like a lot has happened for her since then, which sort of helps make up for all the hoops she had to jump through in her last semester. We sent a cake in with her to work to celebrate with her colleagues. Now on to the job search!

And oh yes, strange thing but for some reason (probably COVID, like everything else!) it’s been very hard to get an appointment to sit for the NCLEX (RN) exam. In our state they are booking into November now! (When boards are typically taken in July.) Many are booking out of state. DD actually had an appt booked in Bangor, Maine, which is five or six hours away from us and would’ve required a hotel stay, etc! But out of the blue when looking late at night last weekend she found one random appt for two days away. She wondered if she was ready but said wth and bit the bullet. And where do you think it happened to be? No where other than the city where my mother grew up! I took the ride with her to go take her boards and we both cried a little talking about it (and while we prayed) thinking that maybe it was a sign my mother had a little to do with it, but we both knew she’d no doubt be with her during testing. She was so proud of her becoming a nurse (as she was with me) and always told DD as she was caring for her last year that she was going to make a wonderful nurse. So thanks, Mom! :littleangel:

I've ALWAYS wanted purple & teal hair....never did it, probably won't. But always thought it would be neat. I think it would clash with the freckles assuming they could even get the color on (my hair is very difficult to color).

Me too!!!! My BFF is a hairstylist and he can do anything to my hair but I've never colored it the real bright funky colors I would really like because its so dark now, I'd have to bleach it and thats just too much work to maintain. LOL I've had some purplish color and a metallicy red before, it looked like the color of a Dr. Pepper can, but that's as extreme as I've gone. I would LOVE a bright purple color or even RAINBOW....he just did someone's hair rainbow for Pride last month and it was soooo pretty.

I always wanted that mutli color blue/green look, but I could never get the courage to go beyond my reddish-brown dye jobs. Now that I'm going gray, I've thought about finishing the job and going silver, but figured I'll get there eventually....why rush it? :rotfl2:

View attachment 508249
OMG....I love that....so pretty. Throw in some purple and OMGosh....my dream hair. 😍

This is why I'm eagerly awaiting my silver/white hair! My hairdresser says it will be easier to dye my hair the "funky colors" when it's already white, rather than having to strip the existing color from my hair. I'm going to be an old lady with "mermaid hair" ;)

I love that idea. I have a few greys I pointed out to my friend last night since I haven't seen him in so long and he told me to come in for a color, I told him I'm growing old gracefully and not coloring my hair anymore....He said ya right, and I'll probably be going in before my 45th birthday in a couple weeks.... :laughing: Maybe I'll try a purple again.

I always loved sunny yellow because it’s bright and cheery. When I was going through cancer treatment one of the counselors that made a difference to me asked me why I never wore yellow. It was a bit of a head scratcher, lol. So I did from then on try to incorporate more yellow into my life. And she had me buy flowers often because I love them. Sometimes I kill two birds with one stone and buy yellow flowers that brighten my week. I did buy a yellow top this year and I like wearing it. But the colors I like more today are jewel tones. Most of my house is a combination of both of those - yellow and jewel tones. Sounds weird but it’s homey.

We have some good news - DD passed her nursing boards so she’s finally come full circle and is an RN now! :goodvibes Since she was little she has always wanted to be a nurse so we’re very happy and proud that she’s realized her dream. She is also seeing a new young man who is very nice. So even though she just graduated in May, it seems like a lot has happened for her since then, which sort of helps make up for all the hoops she had to jump through in her last semester. We sent a cake in with her to work to celebrate with her colleagues. Now on to the job search!

And oh yes, strange thing but for some reason (probably COVID, like everything else!) it’s been very hard to get an appointment to sit for the NCLEX (RN) exam. In our state they are booking into November now! (When boards are typically taken in July.) Many are booking out of state. DD actually had an appt booked in Bangor, Maine, which is five or six hours away from us and would’ve required a hotel stay, etc! But out of the blue when looking late at night last weekend she found one random appt for two days away. She wondered if she was ready but said wth and bit the bullet. And where do you think it happened to be? No where other than the city where my mother grew up! I took the ride with her to go take her boards and we both cried a little talking about it (and while we prayed) thinking that maybe it was a sign my mother had a little to do with it, but we both knew she’d no doubt be with her during testing. She was so proud of her becoming a nurse (as she was with me) and always told DD as she was caring for her last year that she was going to make a wonderful nurse. So thanks, Mom! :littleangel:

Congratulations to your daughter. I love that she took her test where your mother grew up....it was totally meant to be. 🥰

QOTD: When you are at home, do you like background noise or do you prefer it quiet?

Thought of this as I sit here this morning in the peaceful quiet.....:lovestruc We used to always keep the TV on even if no one was watching it, we would turn it on as soon as we woke up and it would stay on all day(if we were home all day, of course) but lately I noticed I was the only one still doing it. Hubby and daughter would be sitting doing whatever they were doing without the TV on so I started too. I feel a little more relaxed and calm without it in the background. Sometimes I still listen to music, especially if I'm cleaning, or put on a podcast but I'm learning to enjoy the silence.

QOTD: When you are at home, do you like background noise or do you prefer it quiet?

When hubby was working at the office, I had the tv on a music station just for some company. Now that he's home all day, I have to have it on, just to drown out the sound of his phone calls --he's ALWAYS on speakerphone! I would actually prefer some quiet right about now!

If I have a lot on my mind I sometimes like background noise as a distraction, but if it's disturbing to DH when he's sleeping I like to read or write quietly instead. During the daytime the quiet is kind of nice, but during the night, if I can't sleep, I tend to worry, and that's mostly when I need the distraction. I almost always have music on in the car. I love my Spotify playlist. :music:

Keeping your Aunt in prayer, apirateslifeforme! Hooray that Josh enjoyed his gymnastics class. I hope he enjoyed being with the other kids and, of course, using up some pent up energy, too. I love that your Mom did that for you! What a great idea to inspire a travel interest in kids and just a curiosity about other places, too!

Hug, and thank you Carol for keeping two doggie friends together!

I’ve never thought about coloring my own hair but love your mermaid hair post, apirateslifeforme and good for you, Bianca and Bernard! I have a friend from church who decided to go white and enjoy it, eventually I think she’ll get her hair colored.

Much Congratulations to your DD, Pea-n-Me! Good for her :) God Bless her and that kind counselor of yours, too! Yellow is a cheerful color indeed!

AuntieMe3, my hair really needs your BFF :D

Quiet! :) I do remember in early college days it sometimes helped me relax to listen to Enya's Shepard Moons CD. Good question, Auntie Me3!

Last edited:

I always have the tv on when I am at home, I don't really watch, but it is background noise. Last few weeks I've been mixing The Try Guys (because they make silly movies that make me smile and also do serious stuff with some humour), Lindsay Ellis (because I love her indepth analysis of Disney, Lord of the Rings and everything else) and Themepark Worldwide (because I like his energy and he just has covered so many themeparks worldwide).

I did notice a change. When I was in highschool, I always listened to music while studying. Now, twenty years later, I am back in school to get my degree, but when I am working on a paper or report, it has to be quiet. Now the noise is distracting me. Probably because highschool didn't take a lot of energy, and getting my degree does ;-)

Thought of this as I sit here this morning in the peaceful quiet.....:lovestruc We used to always keep the TV on even if no one was watching it, we would turn it on as soon as we woke up and it would stay on all day(if we were home all day, of course) but lately I noticed I was the only one still doing it. Hubby and daughter would be sitting doing whatever they were doing without the TV on so I started too. I feel a little more relaxed and calm without it in the background. Sometimes I still listen to music, especially if I'm cleaning, or put on a podcast but I'm learning to enjoy the silence.

Depends on the mood I'm in.

Spent the morning running around with DD#2, getting her medical records from the accident for the insurance company. Then had Chik-fil-a for lunch, and swimming at the pool with DGS#2. It's quiet time now; DGS fell asleep eating Pop's Nutter Butters, lol.

Same here. And that is what I call them too. Our last two dogs (one passed in January and one in 2016) were rescues, golden retrievers who had been picked up as strays. The rescue wanted them placed together as they were a bonded pair. We were only looking for one but, when they specifically asked us to consider two, we did.

Thanks for taking two!
We do fostering for a dog rescue and I'm currently waiting to hear if I'm going to be busting out a bonded pair of Boston's over in AA County tomorrow morning....we'll be temporary as there is both a male & female in the pair and one of our dogs isn't to keen on another male in the house. But they are much older so I suspect they will be 'forever fosters' at whichever home they end up in after ours. 10 & 13 years old -

Ugh - well today has been a rather sllloooowww day for me, no real reason. Just has dragged on. I think it's from waiting to hear if I need to pick these dogs in the morning or not. After work I'm going to hit the local grocery for a few staples and the beer store for a few more staples:smooth: then head home. I could go tomorrow but I can't 110% be sure I have enough coffee for the coffee maker tomorrow, so I'll go tonight! Priorities! We've been getting a lot of rain today - no complaints from me - and I'm hoping things dry out enough to mow tomorrow afternoon. Our weekly mowing takes us about 3 hours, if we all do it at the same time, and I HATE it when we can't all do at same time because then it looks half-assed and uneven. Might go crabbing on Sunday if the tide cooperates.

I think dinner tonight might be the two frozen burgers I came across in the freezer last night!:worship: thank god because I don't feel like putting any more effort into than that! Got some frozen fries, and if things REALLY work in my favor, the burger rolls in the bread draw will still be worth eating. Boom! Dinner is served...Tomorrow will be BLT's w/the first tomatoes from our garden.

My folks left around mid day today and I suspect the wind will blow them back this way for November & December. In 2-3 weeks youngest moves back in temporarily for 2-6 weeks in between moving, so I need to dust out the guest bedroom & bath for his use soon.

Have a nice, safe weekend everyone!

Well, I think it depends on my mood. If I'm cooking or cleaning I'll often put on something that doesn't require my concentration like reruns of the Office or a HP or LOTR movies - I've seen all of those so much! I also like playing Big Band music as background music, especially if we are entertaining. Often in the evenings I'll read & watch TV at same time...it's my one and only special skill!

Thanks for taking two!
We do fostering for a dog rescue and I'm currently waiting to hear if I'm going to be busting out a bonded pair of Boston's over in AA County tomorrow morning....we'll be temporary as there is both a male & female in the pair and one of our dogs isn't to keen on another male in the house. But they are much older so I suspect they will be 'forever fosters' at whichever home they end up in after ours. 10 & 13 years old -

Ugh - well today has been a rather sllloooowww day for me, no real reason. Just has dragged on. I think it's from waiting to hear if I need to pick these dogs in the morning or not. After work I'm going to hit the local grocery for a few staples and the beer store for a few more staples:smooth: then head home. I could go tomorrow but I can't 110% be sure I have enough coffee for the coffee maker tomorrow, so I'll go tonight! Priorities! We've been getting a lot of rain today - no complaints from me - and I'm hoping things dry out enough to mow tomorrow afternoon. Our weekly mowing takes us about 3 hours, if we all do it at the same time, and I HATE it when we can't all do at same time because then it looks half-assed and uneven. Might go crabbing on Sunday if the tide cooperates.

I think dinner tonight might be the two frozen burgers I came across in the freezer last night!:worship: thank god because I don't feel like putting any more effort into than that! Got some frozen fries, and if things REALLY work in my favor, the burger rolls in the bread draw will still be worth eating. Boom! Dinner is served...Tomorrow will be BLT's w/the first tomatoes from our garden.

My folks left around mid day today and I suspect the wind will blow them back this way for November & December. In 2-3 weeks youngest moves back in temporarily for 2-6 weeks in between moving, so I need to dust out the guest bedroom & bath for his use soon.

Have a nice, safe weekend everyone!

Will you quit bragging about your garden tomatoes being ready? LOL! I am still waiting for the first of ours. However, I did pick the first 2 squash today, so things are looking up!

Congrats to your daughter Pea N Me. She must be so happy she is done with the test and ready to move on in her career.

I tend to like it quiet. I am a true introvert and prefer quiet to noise. However, sometimes if I am reading a light book, I like to have music playing quietly in the background. DH loves to have the TV on or he listens to youtube on his nook. I have to remind him to use his headphones. I so need an alone time day! LOL!

Tonight we are going out for Mexican food. I am so happy not to have to cook. So far the restaurants around me have been very good with precautions for both outdoor and indoor dining. I have not felt unsafe at any place. If I did, I would just leave and go some place else.

It is hot here today, around 90 and humid. We took the dog for his walk but I think we will take a break from our walk for today. I did walk aerobics inside with wonderful AC so that will have to do.

Have a great weekend everyone.

DD and family planned to come up tonight to drop of the dog. She had to get something from a friend up here and DGD was driving them crazy because she was stuck inside and really likes outside. So, they came earlier and dropped DGD and dog here then went to do their errand. Came back and we ordered pizza for dinner and had my blueberry cake for dessert. And now we have a 4 year old golden doodle for the week.

@Pea-n-Me, congrats to your daughter.

Might go crabbing on Sunday if the tide cooperates.
Sounds fun. It's been so long since I went crabbing. Chester River or the bay?

Tomorrow will be BLT's w/the first tomatoes from our garden.
Nothing better than eastern shore tomatoes. Mine are growing but it will still be a few weeks. The zinnias are starting to bloom. I have been getting zucchini from friends and neighbors.

A funny story about tomatoes. We are tomato snobs. When DD was maybe 4 or 5, it was winter and there was a slice of tomato on her meal and she couldn't identify it because it didn't look like a summer tomato.

Unless I am reading, I like some noise on. Usually Food Network, Golden Girls, or Home Improvement reruns.

I'm almost always a background noise person - nothing too loud, but silence drives me nuts! Occasionally, I can enjoy the quiet first thing in the morning, or if I’ve had a really “people-y” day, but in general, the TV is on here. If I’m not actually watching something (of half watching something familiar while doing other stuff) I tend to put on one of the Music Choice channels that comes with our cable. This also serves the dual purpose of screening calls, since the caller ID comes up on the TV.

Will you quit bragging about your garden tomatoes being ready? LOL! I am still waiting for the first of ours. However, I did pick the first 2 squash today, so things are looking up!

I'm jealous too. I have a few green ones of various sizes, but nothing ripe yet.

I am a background music person. I always have music on in the house and always have. I do not like quiet, it's too loud in my head if that makes sense. Even when meditating or praying I have to have something going in the background. When I was a kid I hated elevator music and now I'm like bring on the musizak from the elevators! Currently taking a break from homework and have on the newest album from Little Big Town. It is absolutely outstanding. If anyone likes Fleetwood Mac I'd really compare them to that group with harmonies and various song choices.

Happy Friday all,

First I want to send love, good thoughts and hugs to everyone. This is really hard time and frankly sometimes the DIS isn't the best place for everyone. There so much negative and divisiveness and blame. If I wanted that, I'd watch cable news. For some the DIS is way to dream vacations, relieve moments, and hide from all going on and instead it's just so loud on here. I read the first page community board and I hear the teacher from Charlie Brown. Just know I'm so thankful for you all and this thread. Make sure everyone is doing what they can for self care. EVERYONE deserves self care.

I've been busy with homework and doing some side work supporting friends going through some heart break and crisis. Reminder that life isn't stopping and I have to appreciate every day and the blessings in my life. I went to grocery store alone today and it was great! I wore my mask and sort of wandered looking the way I used to minus not trying to get close to people but felt almost normal. Apparently the grocery store over planned for refried beans and tortillas so I stocked up and bought extra for the food pantry as weird as that sounds.

It's not near as hot and humid today thankfully but of course it'll be coming back soon. Tonight I made green chile enchiladas, rice and beans with avocado and tomatoes .

Gratitudes:
My mom in a good mood today
Good grocery shop done
Safe and healthy family and friends

Enya, my roommate in college played this when she was up late studying for a nursing degree . Puts me to sleep every time , but relaxes too.
Home -Quiet, and I am really missing my quiet Thursday afternoons I use to have on my day off . Lately, it’s news station for hubby or Disney + movies for kids. I’m almost ( almost) missing ESPN . One Sunday , last year we watched a soccer game, NHL playoffs, an NBA game and a baseball game all in the same day.
Help ! I need a girls lunch out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter