Question about Annual Passholders visiting MK on a Saturday

simplymama

DIS Veteran
We are going with family that are not pass holders, but are buying park hopper tickets. They want to do a different park in the morning and then go to MK at night? Is there a way to accomplish this as annual pass holders since we have to have a reservation to enter MK on Saturday and Sundays?

If we visit a different park in the morning, could we potentially make a new reservation if there is availability, after entering the first park (or maybe we'd have to wait until we leave) to be able to enter MK later that day or are we limited to one reservation a day?

We are going with family that are not pass holders, but are buying park hopper tickets. They want to do a different park in the morning and then go to MK at night? Is there a way to accomplish this as annual pass holders since we have to have a reservation to enter MK on Saturday and Sundays?

If we visit a different park in the morning, could we potentially make a new reservation if there is availability, after entering the first park (or maybe we'd have to wait until we leave) to be able to enter MK later that day or are we limited to one reservation a day?
If you have a reservation for another park and go there before MK you won’t need an MK reservation for that day after 2pm.

If you have a reservation for another park and go there before MK you won’t need an MK reservation for that day after 2pm.
MK was the exception to this rule on Saturday and Sundays. Do you know if this has changed. The annual pass rules were you must have a reservation to MK on Saturday and Sundays.

You've never needed a reservation for MK to hop there. If you are only going to MK, regardless of time on Sat/Sun, you need a MK reservation. As long as MK after 2pm is not your only park visit for the day, you don't need an MK reservation, just a a reservation for whatever park you will be at in the AM.

You've never needed a reservation for MK to hop there. If you are only going to MK, regardless of time on Sat/Sun, you need a MK reservation. As long as MK after 2pm is not your only park visit for the day, you don't need an MK reservation, just a a reservation for whatever park you will be at in the AM.
Thank you!! I had misunderstood and thought we had to have the reservation to MK. I appreciate the information.

If you have a reservation to the other three parks you may still hop to MK after 2pm on a weekend

You just can’t go to MK after 2 spontaneously with no reservation on weekends just the other 3

If you have a reservation to the other three parks you may still hop to MK after 2pm on a weekend

You just can’t go to MK after 2 spontaneously with no reservation on weekends just the other 3
To me this made no since when the new rules came out. And maybe I am just not understanding correctly. Scenario: I am an AP holder and it's a Saturday morning and I decide I want to go to MK that evening. I go look at reservations and there are non available. But reservations for all three other parks are available. So I decide to make a reservation for DHS. I drive over to DHS at 4pm, scan in at the front gate. Then I exit right away and drive over to MK where I can now get in because I scanned in at DHS first? Is this correct? If so, just doesn't make since. Just let AP's in at all parks with no reservations after 2pm, regardless of day. I guess they are trying to limit the amount of AP's in MK on the weekend evenings, but if someone really wants to get in, they will just go that route.

From the passholder website: "Passholders may visit a park after 2:00 PM without a theme park reservation––except when visiting Magic Kingdom park on Saturdays and Sundays".

I take this to mean that you have to have a reservation to go to MK on the weekend. You can hop from MK to another park after 2 but you aren't getting into MK after 2 if you've reserved somewhere else.

From the passholder website: "Passholders may visit a park after 2:00 PM without a theme park reservation––except when visiting Magic Kingdom park on Saturdays and Sundays".

I take this to mean that you have to have a reservation to go to MK on the weekend. You can hop from MK to another park after 2 but you aren't getting into MK after 2 if you've reserved somewhere else.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I interpret the rules to mean that as an AP holder, you can go to MK on the weekends if (1) you have an MK park reservation for that day and/or (2) you have a park reservation for a non-MK park for that day and you hop to MK after you've been to your reserved park--using the usual hopping rules.

So, yes, to the poster upthread who asked if they could reserve DHS, tap in at 4 and turn around and go to MK. You could indeed do that. The trick is that you have to tap into your reserved park first, before hopping.

From planDisney: If you would like to visit Magic Kingdom on the weekend, you can either make a theme park reservation for Magic Kingdom for that day or make a reservation for another park and then hop over to Magic Kingdom after 2:00 PM, subject to availability. If you make a reservation for a different park, you must first visit that park before hopping to Magic Kingdom in the afternoon.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I interpret the rules to mean that as an AP holder, you can go to MK on the weekends if (1) you have an MK park reservation for that day and/or (2) you have a park reservation for a non-MK park for that day and you hop to MK after you've been to your reserved park--using the usual hopping rules.

So, yes, to the poster upthread who asked if they could reserve DHS, tap in at 4 and turn around and go to MK. You could indeed do that. The trick is that you have to tap into your reserved park first, before hopping.
It doesn't make sense to me why they would call it out if it's "the usual hopping rules"? I don't think your point #2 is correct. I believe you can reserve MK, tap in, hop to HS and then hop back to MK. I don't think you can book HS, tap in, and then hop to MK on Saturday or Sunday. It works M-F.

Normal hopping rules haven't changed for MK (or anywhere else). The only thing that changed for APs is whether a park reservation is required for arriving at your first park after 2pm.

If APs couldn't hop to MK anymore on weekends, we would have heard about it already.

It doesn't make sense to me why they would call it out if it's "the usual hopping rules"? I don't think your point #2 is correct. I believe you can reserve MK, tap in, hop to HS and then hop back to MK. I don't think you can book HS, tap in, and then hop to MK on Saturday or Sunday. It works M-F.
That is not correct. You absolutely can book at HS park reservation on a S/S, tap in at HS, and then hop to MK after 2PM, with an AP. With the AP, you just cannot go directly to MK after 2PM without a park res on S/S, without hopping there from another park. M-F, you can go right to any park after 2PM without a park res. S-S, you can go to EP/HS/AK after 2PM without a park res.

Normal hopping rules haven't changed for MK (or anywhere else). The only thing that changed for APs is whether a park reservation is required for arriving at your first park after 2pm.

If APs couldn't hop to MK anymore on weekends, we would have heard about it already.
Correct.

I've hopped to MK the last two weekends without any issue.

(also, I am sure they have "reasons" for this new rule but it's confused SO MANY PEOPLE here, in FB groups, and in person with friends that have AP's that it seems unnecessarily confusing and ridiculous. I think I've explained it no less than 100 times to folks and I don't work for Disney. I can't imagine the scores of people they explain it to day in and day out. After awhile, you wonder if it's been worth the human capital they've invested in this change...)

I appreciate the clarification because the wording is very confusing. We've avoided the parks up until now because we just want to be able to hop where we want, when we want!

This is incorrect. An AP guest can book DHS if they wish to go before 2PM and then hop to MK after 2 PM.

If an AP guest wishes to go to DHS after 2PM they can without a reservation and then when they’re ready, hop to the MK, also without a reservation.

This is incorrect. An AP guest can book DHS if they wish to go before 2PM and then hop to MK after 2 PM.

If an AP guest wishes to go to DHS after 2PM they can without a reservation and then when they’re ready, hop to the MK, also without a reservation.
That's interesting, @scrappinginontario. I hadn't considered this possibility. Does this include the weekends?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter