Rant: The new Costco milk containers

Party.Of.4-NY>>>FL

DIS Veteran
My local Costco began selling their gallons of milk in this new shape a couple months ago. My first impression was not a good one but I decided to give it a fair chance. Who knows, maybe it would begin to grow on me. Well, no. No it hasn't.

I swear the screw-on cap was designed by someone with fingers the size of a small toddler's fingers. The seal in my opinion, while important, should be able to be removed without using a tool of some sort. I can't, for the life of me, get this seal off without first jabbing it with a knife, then prying it off like a bear opening a can of tuna with its claws.

Oh, and another thing, when pouring from a full container it is almost impossible not to spill a few drops.

That is all.

Thank you for listening.

I feel better now.
:wave2:

Am I the only one?

Are you talking about the square-ish plastic containers? Our Costco has been selling their milk in those for years now. I'm not a big fan of the shape (it doesn't fit in our refrigerator door very well) but I haven't had quite the same problems that you mention.

Are you talking about the square-ish plastic containers? Our Costco has been selling their milk in those for years now. I'm not a big fan of the shape (it doesn't fit in our refrigerator door very well) but I haven't had quite the same problems that you mention.
Yup. Those are the ones. They're relatively new around here.

Granted, it's not the biggest problem facing the world. But it just seems to rear it's ugly head at the most inopportune times. Most notably when I'm making my first cup of coffee and my eyes are still 75% closed.

Ours sold those in the squarish containers for a brief period a few years ago, but we are now back to the regular gallon jugs, and I must say it makes me very happy. I hated the block/square things. Apparently, though, it had something to do with shipping, and that because they packed more compactly, you could ship them easier. Shrug. I'm just glad they gave up on that idea in our area.

Are they square and it looks like the spout has been punched in? If so our Sam's milk is like that now. Not a fan.

I never "get" these threads. I've never had any trouble with the Costco milk jugs. I'm not a fan of the extra twist off thing, but I like their milk because it just seems to stay fresher for longer. I figure an extra step is worth that!

Costco milk tastes funny to me, so I generally don't buy it. But ours has the traditional gallon containers.

We've had square ones at every store for as long as I can remember. I didn't know it wasn't a thing everywhere. What did your containers used to look like?

Are they square and it looks like the spout has been punched in? If so our Sam's milk is like that now. Not a fan.

Yes @CF'er those are the ones.

Here are some stock pics. for anyone that hasn't seen them.

First, what they used to look like:
IMG_2328.JPG

And here is the new shape:

IMG_2327.JPG

Ours sold those in the squarish containers for a brief period a few years ago, but we are now back to the regular gallon jugs, and I must say it makes me very happy. I hated the block/square things. Apparently, though, it had something to do with shipping, and that because they packed more compactly, you could ship them easier. Shrug. I'm just glad they gave up on that idea in our area.
This gives me hope! Maybe our local Costco stores will return to the old style.

Ours has sold the square containers since our Costco opened. I'm not a fan of the design either, whenever I first picked one up another man in the cooler said be careful pouring that. I didn't know what he was talkin about until 1:30 in the morning I'm pouring my then infant son a bottle full and spilt it. I like Costco just not these containers.

Weird, ours switched to the square ones years ago, we stopped buying them (spilled more), and they went back to the rounder ones last month.

Here I thought this was going to be a rant against the way Costco (our Costco at least) is now stacking their milk. The actual containers have remained the same (see Fig. 1 above), but instead of putting them on the wire shelves that they have used forever, they are stacking them with some kind of (what appears to be) thin plastic tray in between the layers of milk. This might be fine for the top layers of milk, but the ones on the lower levels have so much pressure on them from the top, that it puts pressure on the jugs and causes the milk to leak out. This left nothing but drippy containers sitting in puddles of their own milk...which also meant that the amount of milk you were taking home was less, as a portion of it had been squeezed out of the bottle. If they haven't switched back to the wire shelves by our next trip, then I'm going to have to quit buying milk there.

I have not yet experienced the new style of jug yet. It looks terrible. I can see how it might transport more efficiently, but it doesn't look like it would pour as easily.

We had a small local chain that used to sell their milk in 1/2 gallon plastic bags. I think it was for cheaper packaging. You'd buy a pitcher from them, then drop the bag into the pitcher and snip the corner. The pitcher had a slot to slide the open corner into to seal it. I guess it was also less waste. The pitcher, of course, you would keep and refill as needed.

I just assumed that all Costco's sold their milk in the square containers. Our old Costco's in eastern WA sold those as do ours in Memphis, TN. They actually redesigned the spout this spring and that's what I don't care for. The square design is actually fine by me as it fits better into my fridge. Regardless of design, I still manage to spill when it's full.

I don't use Costco because I'm a single woman and its clear on the other side of town...but I LOVE milk, drink a gallon a week by myself, more when I'm partnered, and can I add the complaint that Horizon brand doesn't even sell their milk in gallons? Its so good it's worth it.

Sorry that's a little O/T, but I rarely have a reason to complain about milk. Why not now?...Lol!

We've had that design for years and years now-honestly didn't realize other Costcos didn't have that design. It's not our favorite design because pouring is harder.

Ours sells the square ones from time to time. BJs used to sell them too, I remember having to get used to them when I first saw them. the BJs ones actually had instructions that you should leave the container on the counter, then tip it and bring the cup up to meet it to pour. Once I got used to it, I found it easier than the traditional style. I always seem to spill milk with those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter