READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but you shouldn’t be allowed to get a BG more than twice in a 10-day span. If BGs are gone at 5 minutes after opening, then the folks riding it 3 or 4+ days in a week are taking a space away from someone who wants to ride it bad enough to be there before rope drop. That isn’t right. I was behind a group of guys today that had obviously ridden it before and we’re even spoiling it by talking about what was about to happen next. It seems that for some folks it’s more about the thrill of getting a BG than experiencing the ride.

I completely agree with this. I wonder if we had a poll who has ridden this more than ounce it sounds like the count would be high and this is an extremely small number of people being represented here which means for everyone that has ridden it more than once that is a person who wasn't able to ride it at all. Especially for those of us that aren't local and this is a once every few years shot. Personally my family and I will be there March 3rd, that is our HS day. I have 1 shot to ride this ride and I'm going to head to the park early by myself and the family is going to meet me later. It annoys me to no end to hear of folks riding it multiple days in a row because I'm sure there are other folks like me with a single attempt to ride that those multi riders potentially took their spot. Yes I get it you ride it multiple times because its a good ride and you like it but there comes a time in your life where sometimes you just have to say "ok, someone else take a turn".

At the end of our HS day if I get to ride it then great. If I don't then I'll just have to accept that any maybe in 5 years when we come back I'll get to ride it then, but it will be a disappointment.

We'll be there on the 13th. It looks like they skipped over our day for earlier opening. I know that means they expect lower crowds, but I have the feeling that later start time is going to attract more crowds. The more I think about it, the more I think we'll make do with just our one FP ride on SDD and head for Sunset Boulevard.

I’m going the same day, and I’m thinking the same thing. I hope they change the open time to 7:00.

I completely agree with this. I wonder if we had a poll who has ridden this more than ounce it sounds like the count would be high and this is an extremely small number of people being represented here which means for everyone that has ridden it more than once that is a person who wasn't able to ride it at all. Especially for those of us that aren't local and this is a once every few years shot. Personally my family and I will be there March 3rd, that is our HS day. I have 1 shot to ride this ride and I'm going to head to the park early by myself and the family is going to meet me later. It annoys me to no end to hear of folks riding it multiple days in a row because I'm sure there are other folks like me with a single attempt to ride that those multi riders potentially took their spot. Yes I get it you ride it multiple times because its a good ride and you like it but there comes a time in your life where sometimes you just have to say "ok, someone else take a turn".

At the end of our HS day if I get to ride it then great. If I don't then I'll just have to accept that any maybe in 5 years when we come back I'll get to ride it then, but it will be a disappointment.
March 3rd I will be sending you ROR luck :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Good luck with getting onto the ride. But just wondering, i thought everyone in the group must be present to be able to be assigned a boarding group? So if your family comes later, how would get get a BG?

Good luck with getting onto the ride. But just wondering, i thought everyone in the group must be present to be able to be assigned a boarding group? So if your family comes later, how would get get a BG?

They won't be riding, only I will. I'm assuming based upon what I've read that you select who will be in the boarding group (just like picking a fast pass). I won't be selecting them just myself.

Jan 1st = BG 92 at 1:35
Jan 2nd = BG 88 at 1:35

Today (Jan 3rd) at 3:30 = BG 73.

Not a good day so far for RotR. They are well behind the pace of previous days and a VERY rough guess would say they are barely going to get into backup BGs today (and that assumes they get back on track with no issues).

They won't be riding, only I will. I'm assuming based upon what I've read that you select who will be in the boarding group (just like picking a fast pass). I won't be selecting them just myself.
gotcha thanks for clarifying. I'll be wishing you good vibes on your HS day!

I know the mods have referenced some of josh's advice before so I'm hoping this is OK to post. He just posted an excellent summary of the process along with pictures on where the GET umbrellas are, advice on the app, touring tips and other advice. It is a nice handy reference all in one place in addition to his prior posts. .

He also lays out why it may be better for many people to get to the park 30 minutes before open and start touring somewhere other then MFSR and SDD, either using FPP for SDD or even riding standby right before closing. He contrasts the early arrival to FoP and the AK early entry process as well for a comparison. I found it helpful to have everything in one place and especially nice for anyone who is just starting to plan. Lots of good stuff in one place.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/a...nd-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-strategy/

Thanks for posting this link! It's very helpful! I have three more questions as I prepare for next week (!). First - I see some posts about the app not registering that one more more group members is in the Park (even though they are). Is there a way to tell that before 7am and the process of BG starts? And I saw someone post today that their parents secured the BG from their hotel room. So I assume they tapped in and then left? And then I am reading that there are lines for people with bags, and people without bags. I have a windbreaker that has a zillion pockets. If I have that on can I go through the no-bag line? THANK YOU for all of the info and help! It's been fun/scary reading along!

Thanks for posting this link! It's very helpful! I have three more questions as I prepare for next week (!). First - I see some posts about the app not registering that one more more group members is in the Park (even though they are). Is there a way to tell that before 7am and the process of BG starts? And I saw someone post today that their parents secured the BG from their hotel room. So I assume they tapped in and then left? And then I am reading that there are lines for people with bags, and people without bags. I have a windbreaker that has a zillion pockets. If I have that on can I go through the no-bag line? THANK YOU for all of the info and help! It's been fun/scary reading along!
1. There's no way to know if the app is working properly before hand
2. I believe the parents were just logged into the mde of the guest that was in the park, so the parent booked the bg for the guest that had tapped in.
For example i share my mde with both my kids, if they enter the park i can, from home log in and help them book a bg
3. If you have anything metal, phone, keys, you have to hold it in your hands and walk through the metal detector with your arms raised

Both mornings are going to be a mess with road closures at park opening. I would say go for the morning that work better for them.

Edit: Looking at the race maps they are going to need to get down to Osceloa Parkway to enter DHS from the main entrance. Where are they staying because that's going to affect how they get around property.

Maps are here by the way: https://guide.rundisney.events/maps/
Saturday would be the better option IMO since Sunday the course goes all over property.

As long as everyone that’s inside DHS at open (during this honeymoon period) can usually get a BG that wants one, further rationing should be unnecessary.

Last edited:
Bummed to say the least...After watching the boarding groups “crawl” through the day I just received a text stating my backup boarding group would not be called. Yes.. I understand that is the meaning of being in a backup group but based on numbers from previous days I was hopeful that we would be able to enjoy the ride. When you arrive at the park at 5:40am, only to get a backup boarding group and cannot get on any other major ride due to crowd levels... I think we’ll wait til Disney gets this figured out better before coming back. We actually left HS and caught bus to MK to enjoy early magic hour to make the most of getting up early. Did we enjoy our trip? Yes, of course but Galaxy Edge was the draw for us.

No backup groups today. Scanned in at 7am on the dot. I was backup group 163 and was notified around 3 pm that they would not be calling my group. There’s always tomorrow!

Yup, same here. I got up with the chickens, fought the mayhem through the gates, tried exactly at 7 on the app and still got BG 158.

I’ll be here into next week so I may try again. But honestly I can’t think of a single thing I could have done differently so I may not.

Yup, same here. I got up with the chickens, fought the mayhem through the gates, tried exactly at 7 on the app and still got BG 158.

I’ll be here into next week so I may try again. But honestly I can’t think of a single thing I could have done differently so I may not.
Agreed!! I’m hopefully the rain tomorrow will turn crowds away but then again it’s a Saturday. It looks like the back up was because it was down majority of today. Fingers crossed!

I’m so sorry. ☹️ I gotta say I’m feeling pretty panicked at having planned this trip. Bringing kids and nephews - 10 of us total - from Maryland and it was everyone’s Xmas present. They are all total Star Wars fans, and we are just going to be there for one day. They are still very excited to see the rest of Galaxy’s Edge, but we will all be hugely sad if we don’t get to ride RoTR.

Really sorry for those in today’s backup groups who have been told they won’t get to ride today. Having one of the last regular boarding groups, 119, I’ll admit to a high level of anxiety that I’m not going to make it on today! At 73 right now and the groups moving at a snail’s pace, I’m not optimistic I’ll get on.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but you shouldn’t be allowed to get a BG more than twice in a 10-day span. If BGs are gone at 5 minutes after opening, then the folks riding it 3 or 4+ days in a week are taking a space away from someone who wants to ride it bad enough to be there before rope drop. That isn’t right. I was behind a group of guys today that had obviously ridden it before and we’re even spoiling it by talking about what was about to happen next. It seems that for some folks it’s more about the thrill of getting a BG than experiencing the ride.
I can get behind that, only because they’ve decided to limit them to one per day (even though in the last few days it would be impossible to get a 2nd anyways).

Honestly I don’t see much difference with rationing it to once per day or once per longer time period.

Technically the virtual queue replaces a standby line. I don't see how it would be right to guests to limit them to 1 ride in an X-day span. If a guest wants to get up at 5am every morning and head to DHS and attempt joining a BG that is his/her prerogative. I know I wouldn't like Disney limiting my admission. Whats next, blocking guests out of crowded parks if they've entered them too much recently? One FP+ for 7DMT in a week because you had one three days ago? I think it would be a slippery slope.

Speaking as someone who rode twice (Dec 13 and 14), I'd like to say that it wasn't at all about the thrill of getting a BG. It was about doing the ride as much as I could before I left WDW. Also, I was very careful and didn't talk about the experience at all to anyone else waiting. It's much much better to not know and I myself avoided spoilers, so I respect that others do as well.
I also rode it twice during my trip and I completely reworked my days to have the highest chance of riding. I was also very respectful to those around me the second time I was waiting and even helped 2 locals join a boarding group behind me as they entered since they were having an issue. I agree, it wasn't about the BG, it was experiencing the attraction. There were things I hadn't noticed and I had a much better group and experience overall.

Yikes. We're not there until the 26th but reading this thread the last 2 days has given me anxiety! I just hope we can get on once in our week-long trip.
Sorry to those of you shut out today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter