Recent polls about "Millenials"

I never said they were bratty children. Maybe "don't care" could be softened to "don't concern themselves with". Hey, I have 2 kids (27 and 31) who are Millennials and that is THEIR assessment of their own generation too. Sometimes the truth hurts.
Maybe it's just your kids who don't care then. I work at a major Research University and my experience with this age group is that they are the most engaged and committed to taking care of each other and the world they live in than past generations. So maybe it's regional.

I never said they were bratty children. Maybe "don't care" could be softened to "don't concern themselves with". Hey, I have 2 kids (27 and 31) who are Millennials and that is THEIR assessment of their own generation too. Sometimes the truth hurts.
I'm kinda careful about generalizations of any generation really. I know bad and good so-called millennials. I know good and bad so-called baby boomers too and so on and so on.

But personally I would erase millennials from your statement and say "For some people if it hasn't impacted them, they don't care" as it will apply to some individuals of all ages. I'm fairly certain there are topics and events out there that people of all ages don't care about because it simply hasn't impacted them. It doesn't by any means all of a 'generation' are of that mindset.

I must live under a rock! I had no idea that there were people out there that think the earth is flat! I just asked my college age son if he knew that there were people that think the earth is flat and he said yes a lot of people think the earth is flat. :crazy: I said you don't do you???? :D

Maybe it's just your kids who don't care then. I work at a major Research University and my experience with this age group is that they are the most engaged and committed to taking care of each other and the world they live in than past generations. So maybe it's regional.

No, my kids are more frustrated by "their" generation than I am. Funny you mention University, that is where their frustration with their generation really hit as I recall. Not the entire generation, but too many in it.

I'm kinda careful about generalizations of any generation really. I know bad and good so-called millennials. I know good and bad so-called baby boomers too and so on and so on.

But personally I would erase millennials from your statement and say "For some people if it hasn't impacted them, they don't care" as it will apply to some individuals of all ages. I'm fairly certain there are topics and events out there that people of all ages don't care about because it simply hasn't impacted them. It doesn't by any means all of a 'generation' are of that mindset.

Yes, my statement certainly can apply to any age group. My point is, it appears to be disproportionate by a wide margin among millennials. I think most employers would agree, especially compared to Gen Xers.
Not many Baby Boomers left at my employer, so they really aren't even a factor. I think we have 10 employees over the age of 35 in a Department of 60.

Yes, my statement certainly can apply to any age group. My point is, it appears to be disproportionate by a wide margin among millennials. I think most employers would agree, especially compared to Gen Xers.
Not many Baby Boomers left at my employer, so they really aren't even a factor. I think we have 10 employees over the age of 35 in a Department of 60.
We're not talking about employers right? We're talking on a grand level events and topics. And as with so many other things it's all relative right? Sweeping generalizations is my issue.

We're not talking about employers right? We're talking on a grand level events and topics. And as with so many other things it's all relative right? Sweeping generalizations is my issue.
Both. I am also not a fan of generalizations, but in this case, I think, like I said, it is a generational tendency. Generations are known for things that are more common in their age group. My parents generation, that grew up in the depression scrimped and saved, saved for retirement, paid cash for things, paid off their houses in 30 years or less. My generation, the baby boomers, used credit, over extended themselves, many are heading into retirement with decades left on their mortgages, and not enough saved.

I believe the Holocaust poll. I took a history class in the early 2000s. I was in my early 20s. The majority of the class had never heard of the holocaust or only heard if it happening. They knew no details or why it happened. As for millennials, I know they get a bad wrap. I am Generation Y or something lame like that (1980). I think we pick on millennials because we have no real generation and we are bitter! :teeth:

Just fyi, millennial is the nickname given to generation Y. So no need to be bitter. If you're generation y, you are one of us.

Both. I am also not a fan of generalizations, but in this case, I think, like I said, it is a generational tendency. Generations are known for things that are more common in their age group. My parents generation, that grew up in the depression scrimped and saved, saved for retirement, paid cash for things, paid off their houses in 30 years or less. My generation, the baby boomers, used credit, over extended themselves, many are heading into retirement with decades left on their mortgages, and not enough saved.
Hmm..I guess but I think I was more talking about your comment about not caring if it doesn't affect you.

Frankly that applies to everyone I know at sometime or another.

If I asked my mom tomorrow "hey what do you think about this lumber shortage" she would be like "uhh..there's a lumber shortage" and no she wouldn't really care to converse about it. She's not planning on buying lumber soon and it's not even a blip on her radar. My husband's coworker on the other hand is trying to build a house--he's 32. It def. affects him regarding the lumber price and it affects my husband and I as we have done and still like to do random projects around the house with lumber (we just built a cat pedestal/tree a couple weeks ago with 2X4s and some plywood though that was scraps we had left over).

If you asked me when I didn't own a home if I cared or knew about property taxes being raised to fund xyz I wouldn't have known nor cared too much. But I do now because it directly affects me since I pay property taxes.

There are people over in the FB thread talking about how the Cambridge Analytica thing doesn't impact them nor are they concerned nor do they care about it because of it not affecting them (not affecting them would be their viewpoint on the matter though).

And so on and so on. World events can be the same. Even as harsh as it sounds I don't know too many adults of varying ages who even care nor know about terrorist attacks elsewhere in the world for example. And so on and so on.

Please post the polls. This parent of millenials Completely does not believe unless you cite the source.

I believe the Holocaust poll. I took a history class in the early 2000s. I was in my early 20s. The majority of the class had never heard of the holocaust or only heard if it happening. They knew no details or why it happened. As for millennials, I know they get a bad wrap. I am Generation Y or something lame like that (1980). I think we pick on millennials because we have no real generation and we are bitter! :teeth:

Just fyi, millennial is the nickname given to generation Y. So no need to be bitter. If you're generation y, you are one of us.

Actually, we're called Xennials, LOL. We're the ones in that tiny pocket who were born in the late 70s and early 80s who don't fully identify with Generation X nor Millenials. Also called "The Oregon Trail Generation" or "The Lucky Ones". Basically we're kind of in that sweet spot where we're old enough to have experienced a large portion of life without computers in every home or internet, but young enough that when it all started we fully embraced it and easily adapted to it. Look it up, it's totally a thing, hehe.

Last edited:
MY 4 year
Actually, we're called Xennials, LOL. We're the ones in that tiny pocket who were born in the late 70s and early 80s who don't fully identify with Generation X nor Millenials. Also called "The Oregon Trail Generation" or "The Lucky Ones". Basically we're kind of in that sweet spot where we're old enough to have experienced a large portion of life without computers in every home or internet, but young enough that when it all started we fully embraced it and easily adapted to it. Look it up, it's totally a thing, hehe.
Thank you for posting this. I was going to, but you you did! We are the weird ones! :teeth:

Polls like this are always concerning. I find it interesting how defensive those that are (or have/know) millennials seem to be in these responses. I take the information at face value and say it’s worth being concerned about if it is true. To be certain, if a disproportion of the sample were from certain demographic groups (for example, A group of refugees), then the results would be skewed. Unless a zip code was a survey question it’s pretty hard to figure out. And, it is true that people lie to surveys as one person pointed out. They think it’s funny to do so. So, we as a society need to take these polls with a grain of salt — look at results as possibly an indication of a trend and if it’s concerning then perhaps further study and corrective action may be warranted. I know I have been shocked at the millennial thought processes of my coworkers (but, mostly I chalk that up to being an out of touch boomer...). How does the saying go? Wish I had the wisdom at 20 that I have in my 50’s......

Last edited:
I will say Mills are a huge lump. I'm very very late 70s, according to some sources I'm a Mill. I just don't see it. Even with the early 80s kids I don't see it.

The date range for Millennials was just established as, "Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 22-37 in 2018) will be considered a Millennial, and anyone born from 1997 onward will be part of a new generation.Mar 1, 2018"

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...e-millennials-end-and-post-millennials-begin/

The data on the Holocaust doesn't surprise me. Five years ago the daughter of a Holocaust survivor made a video of interviews that demonstrated the wide lack of knowledge of basic facts about these events in college students. It was part of an effort to show the need of state mandated teaching of the Holocaust and genocide history in high schools. Though not a scientific study, she found no shortage of students who could not even state what the Holocaust was. She also found that this was not the case with out-of-state students who came from states that had the sort of curriculum mandates that she wanted for her home state.

Last edited:
I read a poll about Millennials and taxes. A ridiculous percentage didn't know that taxes were due next week.

every year without fail the local universities weekly newspapers do polls on 'have you done your tax return yet' (old school polls-photos of the person asked the question-ala 'man on the street interviews') IT NEVER FAILS that nearly every student replies 'taxes don't apply to me, i'm a fulltime student, and anyway my only income is grants, scholarships and work study-there's no taxes on that'. they have no clue that their student status doesn't exempt them from taxes or that depending on what/how much they've received vs. qualified education write-offs they may well end up owing.

I mentioned it to my cpa who said it's not an uncommon mindset among the student population, and they often get a nasty surprise when they come in for the first time to get help with a return-often the year following graduation. she asks for their 1098T (if they even think to bring it) and that opens a whole can of worms of previous years that they didn't file and now owe taxes, penalties and interest:sad1::sad1:

Everything wrong with the current generation is a product of the previous generation. Food for thought.

But being in retail, I have found that the newest generation, the kids I deal with daily are being more respectful than ever. It’s amazing how much can change in a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter