• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reflections

AND WILL WE GET OUR MICKEY'S BACKYARD BBQ BACK?

<lost this post in the last 48 hours so reposting>

Bama Ed

Seconded. I've been to the park a few times as a kid and as a parent. Our one trip to the Backyard BBQ was the best time I think we spent as a family for any trip. I'd pay Le Cellier money for a nickel's worth of pulled pork and potato salad and that atmosphere from the characters, band, and cowboy demonstration. They could even keep their all you can drink fermented wheat water.
I have 100 pictures of DS squirming or crying around characters...until the day we went to the BBQ. He would've died 2 hours before if this happened in MK. He had a blast and was asking to get more pictures with the characters. #bringbackMBYBBQ

What a relief!!

Now if they'll just take some of the construction budget and use it for 'deconstruction', namely 'reforestation and restoration' of the areas they bulldozed.

I'm all for expansion. I still think they'd make good money if they put in even 1 or 2 'luxe loops'. Extra long/wide, a paved patio with a palapa or cabana-type structure maybe with an outdoor kitchen, good wifi (a dedicated 'booster'?), and 'approved' fire pits would be nice. Maybe even make it a 'concierge' level with some extra services thrown in, like package delivery and food delivery instead of a lounge.

Maybe they could rebuild the trail and fund it by putting in a Sunpass reader about halfway between the lodge and the Fort ?

I’m feeling doubtful about this. Primarily because there is now so much open land in between that could lead to people “wandering” off to explore:rolleyes1

The only way I could see them opening something back up is to fence it off (which I realize a lot of it is already fenced.) Maybe I’m wrong and they’ll just allow folks to walk the road between the two once the boatsbetween FW/WL/Contemporary start running again.

The smart thing to do would be to at least, even if temporary, expand the Fort. They could easily demo it later if they decided to build a resort later and wouldn’t be a huge investment for them to do.

@bama_ed, if they added say 2 premium and 2 full loops, what sort of revenue would that add based on your other thread? Supposing as well maybe that they add an ultra premium loop on the water, guessing that would go for $300-400/nt?

I don't see possible waterfront. The risk of another gator encounter is something they aren't going to gamble on.

Remember, these are same folks who walked off and left River Country with the lights still on. Not a care. Discovery Island, just walked away and lights still on. Again, not a care.

Likely we are looking at a big baren Sahara out back of Pioneer Hall. A tall fence blocking the porch view of the lake.

At least the new (old) Beach gives better view of castle.

At least the new (old) Beach gives better view of castle.
This is true. I like the new (old) beach. (For those like me, too young to remember when the Fort first opened :worship:, the beach was originally to the right of the boat dock (as you are looking towards the water).

I suspect the great barren landscape formerly known as River Country won't sit idle for too long. They already have significant investment in area. As soon as pandemic restrictions are lifted and pent up demand is easing, Reflections will be back on track. Keep an eye on Riviera sales. When they pick up, rumblings of resurrecting Reflections will start.

j

Last edited:
This is true. I like the new (old) beach. (For those like me, too young to remember when the Fort first opened :worship:, the beach was originally to the right of the boat dock (as you are looking towards the water).

giphy.gif

Does this mean no more path to Wilderness Lodge, ever? One of our favorite things was to bike ride over to Wilderness Lodge. :(

We took our pup for a walk on the pet walk area 2 weeks ago via the 700 loop that has a starting point between 706-707 . Was surprised to see the railroad bed and parts of the railroad timbers still in place . Was cool to just stumble on to this piece of history !

Last edited:
We our our pup for a walk on the pet walk area 2 weeks ago via the 700 loop that has a starting point between 706-707 . Was surprised to see the railroad bed and parts of the railroad timbers still in place . Was cool to just stumble on to his piece of history !
Oh just wait. There's more, much more. However, this discussion is @bama_ed big thing.

....And no doubt aware that since they expanded the Fort last in 1976/77 (added camping loops not trailer loops), the population and camper/trailer universe has multiplied umpteen fold. And all they can do is keep raising prices?....
Bama Ed
You hit the nail on the head, Ed.

They keep raising prices because they can. Limited campsites means they can ask and receive premium prices (not talking loop types, just high prices) for the limited commodity they're offering. Why expand the Fort by building more campsites and loops (expensive undertaking) and flood their monopoly on the market with campsites that they probably know they'll have to discount (less income per square foot) as the demand reduces. And we all know that it will, after the wave of post-RV boom used camper sales occurs, declining demand will make new loops empty.

I guess they could call them the "Ghost Town Loops".

The chart that showed profit margin for one year of campgrounds was convincing... If Disney needs a fast build for more cash... maybe new “Premium Loops “ will help . And Ghost Town is a perfect name.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head, Ed.

They keep raising prices because they can. Limited campsites means they can ask and receive premium prices (not talking loop types, just high prices) for the limited commodity they're offering. Why expand the Fort by building more campsites and loops (expensive undertaking) and flood their monopoly on the market with campsites that they probably know they'll have to discount (less income per square foot) as the demand reduces. And we all know that it will, after the wave of post-RV boom used camper sales occurs, declining demand will make new loops empty.

I guess they could call them the "Ghost Town Loops".

I don't know if I'll agree with that totally. We always have problems getting in FW and that is before Covid, and I think nothing will go back completely to "normal" after Covid. Many may end up selling their RVs but many will not. Even if they did One more loop or added the winding river? (I love to dream hehe) or some other cool feature to the Fort. A loop with views of or close to the water? That would be a huuuge draw, no way they wouldn't get filled. I hope they do something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter