Retailer Stars, Good Enoughs and Duds This Holiday Season

Another Amazon Prime fail..something I purchased last Tuesday isn't scheduled to arrive until this Wednesday. But if I ordered it today? They say I'd get it on Tuesday....yup, a day earlier :confused3 Now tell me how the heck that makes ANY sense. (And yes, it's the same seller fulfilled by Amazon, item was in stock when I ordered and the same 2-day shipping speed selected in both cases. Only difference is I ordered when a 10% coupon was available)

My order hasn't shipped yet, so why can't they just ship it however they are shipping the new orders and get it to me Tuesday???

This same thing happened with one of my orders. Placed it one night it said about a week for delivery the next day I realize I want another one of the same item so I go to have it shipped and it is coming before the first package I ordered. Amazon gave me no explanation for this.

let's just say, it's been more cost effective the last two years to pay monthly for Prime, and I'm just now hitting the cost of a full year over 24 months.

You made me go back and look at all my orders for the past year - given the new lower $25 free shipping threshold, it looks like it would be cheaper for me to start and stop by the month too. Honestly, I have two spikes in purchases: around DDs birthday, and around Christmas. I could join prime just around those times of years, and then cancel for the rest. Although I'm still not sure I want to join even for those months - but I'll keep the idea in mind. Thanks!

Kohls- dud, as always. I have multiple packages coming, all separate, but purchased at the same time. Some have shipping confirmation, but I ca't track them. Part of the same order hasn't processed yet.

Target- star. I have received everything fast!

Amazon- star. Two day shipping every time with no issues.

Macy's- star... this year. Last year, a complete dud.

Stars.....still waiting to see....maybe online ordering at Walmart and picking up at store (did for bike and it was so quick and smooth that we just did again for a TV).

Another good one was actually Best Buy for me....heard others horror stories but I ordered a video game DD wanted and it arrived quick. It was a black Friday deal and free shipping.

Lots of Duds....my order for pants at Joseph A Banks ordered on sale for almost half price was cancelled. When cancelled I went immediately online and could order them but at full price....though a buy one get one free sale. So I ordered two and paid double what I needed with needing just the one pair.

Bath and Body....their big sale. Was trying to buy stuff and the items kept going out of stock. Finally got stuff in cart and was allowed to pay. Got shipping email saying one item, of the 9 I ordered, would arrive yesterday. It didn't and tracking has it still several states south of me and now to arrive Dec6. The other 8 items have not even shipped, just got a notice that it's being processed. Worried it will be cancelled and the one thing coming goes with another thing being processed.

Kohl's....only 1/3 of my stuff arrived. Waiting. Looks like it's coming in many shipments. And also...Dicks....only got one thing from my order and no shipping notice for the rest.

eBay....bought a video game for $80, Rock Band, and it arrived quick....but was in a box from EB Games or GameStop (can't remember which) and had receipt with my name and address from that store and was purchased for $40. Though when I go on eBay it says item has not shipped yet. But it has to be that one because I didn't order another and my name's on it????

Gear Geniusis....ordered a death star ice cube mold off of a Facebook add. Two months ago and still nothing. Paid via PayPal and made claim but they basically say to contact seller. I messaged them via PayPal and via their company email. Got no replies. I escalated the claim with PayPal and a week later, on this past Saturday, a package arrived but is torn and empty. Company says they are in Canada but the package had some sort of Asian writing, assuming from China.

Payless....ordered shoes for DD and they have not even shipped. Ordered on black Friday.

Also want to complain about coupon codes and free shipping codes. Many companies do not make it easy to use online. As if they hope we don't bother. So annoying.

Still waiting on other orders: J Crew, Bed Bath Beyond, Open Table gift cards, Disney Parks and a place called Romwe that DD asked for stuff from (anyone heard of them....I worry because the stuff was cheap) ....should mostly arrive this week. Here's to hoping!

Anyone want a 15% off code for J Crew? Has to be used by Dec 30. Let me know. I won't have use for it by then.

Last edited:
Sigh...and another delayed delivery with Amazon...the stupid backordered Blu Ray from my Black Friday order they messed up finally shipped yesterday and was supposed to be delivered today...it went out for delivery this morning, but I just got a notice that "it may arrive later than today". Bear in mind this is Amazon's own shipping company, and the warehouse it came out of is only 30 miles away. Maybe I should ask them if I can start picking my orders up!

I really do get that the delivery companies are swamped this time of year. But Amazon sells Prime. Maybe they need to back away from selling the 2 day concept, or just say between Black Friday and Christmas it is 3 or 4 day due to volume.

If they are this messed up this early - well, I encourage everyone to avoid buying anything too close to Christmas!

Last edited:
Redeemed sort of: Target. Apparently I bought DS the wrong game and the version he wanted is Switch only. The (new) manager was very sweet and let me exchange it for the sale price I bought it for even though Switch games were not included in that promo. I didn’t ask, she offered. However, one of the $5 gift cards I received earlier in the week was never activated. There really wasn’t anything I could do about it and I didn’t really want to push my luck.

Bed Bath and Beyond is on the line to being a dud. My order from Black Friday still says processing. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s going to get canceled.

Redeemed sort of: Target. Apparently I bought DS the wrong game and the version he wanted is Switch only. The (new) manager was very sweet and let me exchange it for the sale price I bought it for even though Switch games were not included in that promo. I didn’t ask, she offered. However, one of the $5 gift cards I received earlier in the week was never activated. There really wasn’t anything I could do about it and I didn’t really want to push my luck.

Bed Bath and Beyond is on the line to being a dud. My order from Black Friday still says processing. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s going to get canceled.
I got my bed bath and beyond shipping notice yesterday and when I click the tracking button it says it should arrive Wednesday. So hopefully you will get yours soon too.

Star- Photo Affection for my photo cards. I ordered them last Fri & received them today, 2 days earlier than promised. And they were a Groupon so I got a great deal on them & the quality was amazing g. Even the packaging was so nice. Never even heard of the company, just used them because they were cheap.

Other stars were Target, Walmart and Amazon. I haven't ordered a ton on line this year but everything I ordered came quickly and all my orders were correct. Reading these responses I think I was just lucky, especially with Amazon.

No losers so far but just ordered a few things from Dick's and Modell's so we'll see how those go.

Well Dicks is turning out to be a dud, I believe. Ordered Nov 30 and got one of six items. Just got shipping notice on a second item. No shipping notices on the other four things. Ugghhhh. The one item came quick and item two is due to arrive on Dec 11. But no shipping notice yet on the others so it will be close.

Pet Smart = Star!

They price matched an item from an online pet retailer. Item was $5.99 online and $16.99 in the Pet Smart store. The cashier didn’t even bat an eye. I was impressed.

I've had no problem with Amazon...so that is my star

Kohl's is neutral...no problems, but they do mark up their prices in a ridiculous way and then discount them back....have to be really careful buying anything from them

Target is dud...both a coworker and I have experienced the wrong product. For instance, I ordered black boots for my daughter...they came in a purple color, different style, right size. I get on customer service chat to figure out what to do because the packing slip says I have black boots; I figure there could be a problem returning boots I don't actually have a receipt for (no fault of my own). The chat person can't help me. Seriously? It's not that complicated. In the end, my daughter saw the boots and liked them, so I just dropped the matter. I think Target is in some holiday shipping mode (in some competition with Amazon?), and they are making lots of mistakes.

Also dud is National Parks depot...I ordered tactical stockings a long time ago (way before black Friday). 1 out of 3 has shown up...the other ones got back ordered.

Great: Overstock. The area rugs I ordered smelled moldy, even after being aired out for a few days. I looked at the labels and saw black mold on them. Since the rugs would be expensive to ship back, I was worried that Overstock would take the shipping cost out of the refund if it didn't consider the rugs defective. They made the process very easy, and I got a full refund. Ideally, this would only be a "good" experience, but because I'm used to having to fight to get things corrected, it is a great experience.

Everything I've ordered from Amazon, Kohl's and Lush came on time and was exactly what I ordered.

Amazon has been my star. I haven't ordered any gifts but purchased shoes and clothes for Christmas pictures and they came quickly. Same with Christmas decor.

Best Buy I want to give a star to but can't entirely. Something is wrong with my account. It cancels every single order! However, my husband was able to order Beats (amazing deal at $159 regularly something ridiculous plus I had taken advantage of Raises deal from a couple days prior and got $100 worth of gift cards at 13% off). We also purchased a video game at half off a couple days later. Both items arrived within 2 days!

Kohls has been incredibly slow but eveything is accurate thus far. Same with Target. I hate Target's online system. I've been looking for a particular toy. Nearly bought it online for store pick up at Toys R Us 20 minutes away but DH saw it at Wal Mart before I purchased at TRU. I go to the aisle where that toy would be at Target and wouldn't you know, there's 3 of them! It doesn't even show in their system that they ever sold it. There's been other items that I've had the same problem with.

Children's Place is a star. Inexpensive, quick, painless transaction and delivery (just bought jeans for my boys).

Motherhood Maternity I ordered a bunch of nursing clothes for myself and there has been a hiccup in shipping. Got great deals but would love it if the clothes showed up so I didn't have to wear the same 3 tops every other day :laughing:

No real duds so far. Just all average except Amazon has been great.

Dud-Target, wal mart, jjill--wal mart tracking is off and why it takes two weeks for a gift card to deliver escapes me.

Good Enough-Sam's-takes a while but updates/shipping estimates are close to accurate

Star-Amazon, even delivered on Sunday, wow

Kohls has been incredibly slow but eveything is accurate thus far. Same with Target. I hate Target's online system. I've been looking for a particular toy. Nearly bought it online for store pick up at Toys R Us 20 minutes away but DH saw it at Wal Mart before I purchased at TRU. I go to the aisle where that toy would be at Target and wouldn't you know, there's 3 of them! It doesn't even show in their system that they ever sold it. There's been other items that I've had the same problem with.
My kids saw two things in Target and put it on their lists. I have to do online shopping for them because I don't get a lot of time to shop without them. Anyhow, I couldn't find the items using Target's search online. The items were definitely in the store...I took pictures with my cell phone so I could remember. I was typing in the exact name on the packaging. Ended up buying them from Amazon.

Stars:

Wal-mart (Black Friday Chromebook arrived ahead of estimated delivery date)
Target (no issues with multiple separate orders and an in-store pickup)
Amazon (multiple separate orders all received on time, though I do live in a region that has two separate Amazon fulfillment centers within 50 miles of each other)

Duds:
Petco (still waiting on my dog's birthday treats which I ordered on the 24th- his birthday was the 1st :(
Old Navy (placed multiple Black Friday orders. Charges showed up as pending, were removed, have now shown up as charged again, and I still have not received any of the orders)

Nordstrom and Costco are stars - although I have one item from Costco.com that hasn't arrived from Cyber Monday. I'll call today if it doesn't show up. Their generous return policies always make them stars.

Amazon is awesome as always. It's just such a pain to return that they will never be a "shining star" to me. The convenience is awsome though.

ShopDisney shipped way late and then our order arrived in this crushed box yesterday. I think it's missing a shirt too. Need to double check.

I've not shopped at Target (except for the gift cards on Sunday) much this season, and as always I boycott Kohls.

My shop Disney order is taking forever. Due to arrive on the 11th.

Still have not gotten shipping notice for J Crew.

Kohl's is shipping in multiple shipments and two things were supposed to arrive today, shipped separately for some reason and both were college football fan gear (same team and both women's). One was delivered and one wasnt....boo.

I am also ordering for my mom and Petco for us was great....came fast. But delivery guy dropped box at end of her driveway by the street...she had long driveway.

And I discovered this Romwe shop my DD wanted stuff from is based in China and takes forever so I worry it won't come in time.

Last edited:
We've had good luck with our Amazon shipments, and I just had a great experience in-store at Best Buy. I returned an item, but the lady was also able to help me with an issue we are having with our rewards account.

Kohl's is on my naughty list though! They canceled a couple items (wish they would give you a chance to change your order before canceling... I'm not going to pay $8.95 shipping for an $8 shirt in a different color, when the first one had free shipping).

The biggest problem is that I returned an item that earned Kohls cash. So I only got a $10 refund for a $25 item, because I "unearned" the KC (which I already spent). Ok, that's fair. But I asked what would happen if I had to return an item I purchased using the KC. I should get the full refund in cash back, right? Because they just converted my Kohls cash to ACTUAL cash by keeping my $15. Nope, I won't get a full cash refund, because I paid with KC. And the employee acted like I was being so difficult or trying to pull one over on Kohls. I'm not trying to come out ahead, but if I return EVERYTHING I bought, I should recoup all the money I paid. Instead, at best, I'd get most of my money and some store credit (Kohls cash for a future purchase).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter