Retailer Stars, Good Enoughs and Duds This Holiday Season

MomToOne

DIS Veteran
So what problems are people seeing this year? Who has exceeded your expectations, and who is a hot mess?

My Stars:
- Canon: Approved a return (and even paid for the return shipping!) even though I had opened the box so I could buy a different model that they had a better sale on. And they were nice about it!

Good Enoughs - delivered what I ordered, on the timeline they estimated:
- Staples
- Best Buy
- eBags
- various sellers on eBay

Duds:
- Kohls: shipped a wrong size for something I ordered during the Veteran's Day sale. Ok, things happen. So I called back and got them to replace the order, and AGAIN they shipped the wrong size. They clearly had a SKU issue on the website. That appears to have been worked out now, but the Customer Service folks can't understand how I could possibly expect to place an order for a different SKU (the right one for the size I wanted) at the same price as my original order. They keep trying to say it is a new order because of the new SKU, and they can't give me the discounts I had. The Facebook reps are useless too.
- Amazon: out of 3 orders I placed between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, only 1 showed up correct and on time. I'm still waiting for one item to ship because they shipped the wrong item originally, and what I really ordered was then backordered; today the backorder was extended further. The second package is late being delivered - again. So much for Prime. Their excuse? "It's busy this time of year". Umm...last I checked I was paying for Prime year-round, not just during the slow season. Amazon customer service agents are almost always useless; at least the AMZL phone rep was more helpful, providing more information on just where the package was stuck and being genuinely sorry about the delay (as opposed to most agents who you can tell are just reading from a script). Note my issues have all been with items sold by Amazon directly; marketplace orders not fulfilled by Amazon have all been fine.
- Target: Had a ship to store order where the store didn't process the order after receiving it for 4 days, and then tried to lie about it, even after I told them the website support team had given me the package tracking information and I knew the exact time they received it and even who signed for it! They actually had the nerve to tell me I must not know how to read UPS tracking information. :furious: And this was a few weeks before Black Friday, so it wasn't that they were overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Not a lot of stars yet, though GameStop did exceed my expectations in shipping my order.

Duds: The Disneystore which still has not shipped my order that I placed last week and Baublebar which charged my credit card for an order which they still have not shipped.

Target--Boo!: I ordered two of a toy (one for my daughter and one for a birthday party gift) on the 25% of toy day for ship to store. It was expected to make it to the store the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Instead it arrived the Tuesday before Thanksgiving--but no notification until late Tuesday afternoon--after I had left town for Thanksgiving. They refused to extend the pickup window past Friday night (I got back to town on Saturday). I realize that they were just sticking with their policy, but the rigidity over a holiday weekend and the completely off shipping estimate were frustrating. Oh well, I took my refund and promptly spent it on Black Friday toy sales at Amazon.

Target-Yay!: The hatchimals I wanted for my kids for Christmas were already on sale for 25% and the 25% off toy discount still applied, so I got them for $40 instead of the usual price of $70. Those were in stock so no shipping/pick up issues. My target just remodeled, and they made their customer service area much bigger and had about 6 reps working that morning (they used to have just one or two and the lines were crazy).

- Amazon: out of 3 orders I placed between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, only 1 showed up correct and on time. I'm still waiting for one item to ship because they shipped the wrong item originally, and what I really ordered was then backordered; today the backorder was extended further. The second package is late being delivered - again. So much for Prime. Their excuse? "It's busy this time of year". Umm...last I checked I was paying for Prime year-round, not just during the slow season. Amazon customer service agents are almost always useless; at least the AMZL phone rep was more helpful, providing more information on just where the package was stuck and being genuinely sorry about the delay (as opposed to most agents who you can tell are just reading from a script). Note my issues have all been with items sold by Amazon directly; marketplace orders not fulfilled by Amazon have all been fine.
Make sure you get your free month of prime for each package that didn’t arrive on time by amazon!

Duds: Target and Kohl’s. Target just seems to be sliding down hill recently. More and more exclusions for sales and coupons. Usually you can blame the companies that were excluded but everyone else had sales that included those companies. Nothing in stock. The stores and the website are just a hot mess. My straw was the Buy 2 Get 1 Free video game sale. They let me preorder a game as part of the sale and then canceled the preorder the day it came out. Had no problem ordering it on Amazon but it cost me the preorder discount for Prime members. Things marked on sale or receive a gift card aren’t showing up in the system. I’ve taken to taking photos of the tags. I shouldn’t have to work that hard IMO. Kohl’s, well, that place is always a hot mess, I don’t even know why I bother year after year.

Good/Fine: Amazon. No issues really. Sales are fine, deliveries on time.

Great: Believe it or not, Walmart .com. No problems with stock, packages on my doorstep in two days, sometimes the next day. We ordered new bedroom furniture for my kids and parts of each dresser were dinged up. I called CS and spent zero time on hold, had a rep right away. She sent another dresser right away to make them whole. I had an issue with the return label not showing in my emails. Called back, again zero wait and within minutes had a Fed Ex label and pick up scheduled. No muss, no fuss.

Make sure you get your free month of prime for each package that didn’t arrive on time by amazon!

Getting the month extension these days is like pulling teeth. They've actually dropped the clause from the delivery guarantee that stated you could get the free month extension if they are late, and all they say when you contact them is "Please come back <in another 5 days> if you still don't have it and we'll help you out." Really? Another 5 days? I get that's its the busy season and things happen, so I would be OK with a "give it another day to see if it gets to you" but 5 days? No, that's not OK. I spent last night battling them on it because I've had multiple packages now where I've been given that line - in 2 cases they promised a month free, but then never actually gave it to me, and the last few cases they didn't even offer it- and this is all with Amazon Logistics as the carrier! All you get is a bunch of scripted lines like "the carrier is working hard to get the package to you". I had one case where you could tell from the tracking that the package was CLEARLY lost the very first day, and Amazon still refused to do anything for 7 days. Then it took them another 4 days to get the replacement shipped to me. So it took 11 days for a so-called Prime 2 day delivery!

I'm buying less and less on Amazon lately and I see that trend continuing given my latest experiences. My Prime renews on the 24th - I think I'm going to cancel.

Last edited:
Not really a Holiday thing, but the Good, Apple. I broke my watch and did it through mail to get it fixed. The box arrived next business day. Took it to fedex on Tuesday and by Thursday had my new watch, as they could not repair it. Felt naked without it, so I was extremely satisfied! Especially since I could not get an appointment at the store until a week later!

Also Good, Victoria’s Secret, ordered things which stated wouldn’t ship until the 5th of dec, and I already have them in my possession. Target has bee; good in prices and usually shipping, only one thing arrived late (1day) from the expected arrival day. I was going to return it as the dress was for my holiday party, and it arrived on the same day it was...but the hubby said to keep it.

The so-so...Macy’s. I hate that I cannot cancel an order if it hasn’t shipped. The order has been processing and the item came in for a cheaper price. I reordered and the second order has already shipped! It’s a good thing I ordered through the macys Card, because then my funds would be tied until it finished processing and returning process.

The bad...JC Penney. I ordered for in store pick up because they didn’t the offer free shipping with the $ amount I had ordered. My order was missing two items and then rather than getting someone to go get the items which they had in stock,had me go get them. They wanted me to stand in line again, I did not. The girl was nice enough and I lucked out when I was speaking to her coworker she came back from her break and completed my order so didn’t put to much of a fuss. I did call customer service to give her good feedback, I know this time a year can be stressful, but she really was lovely and very apologetic.

Getting the month extension these days is like pulling teeth. They've actually dropped the clause from the delivery guarantee that stated you could get the free month extension if they are late, and all they say when you contact them is "Please come back <in another 5 days> if you still don't have it and we'll help you out." Really? Another 5 days? I get that's its the busy season and things happen, so I would be OK with a "give it another day to see if it gets to you" but 5 days? No, that's not OK. I spent last night battling them on it because I've had multiple packages now where I've been given that line - in 2 cases they promised a month free, but then never actually gave it to me, and the last few cases they didn't even offer it- and this is all with Amazon Logistics as the carrier! All you get is a bunch of scripted lines like "the carrier is working hard to get the package to you". I had one case where you could tell from the tracking that the package was CLEARLY lost the very first day, and Amazon still refused to do anything for 7 days. Then it took them another 4 days to get the replacement shipped to me. So it took 11 days for a so-called Prime 2 day delivery!

I'm buying less and less on Amazon lately and I see that trend continuing given my latest experiences. My Prime renews on the 24th - I think I'm going to cancel.

That stinks...I just got a free month this morning (and funny, I also expired Dec 24 before the extension)...I wouldn't have bothered, but one package was really late and another I have to return b/c its product did not match its description (and it's wildly different - a bundle became a single product, even though the bundle listed every item in the product description). Figured I wouldn't get anything for the return annoyance, so I only talked about and asked for the guarantee on the late product...and got it (maybe the guy saw my other return and 1 star rating on my account, even when I didn't mention it b/c I didn't have to wait or prompt for the extra month - either that, or I buy too much from Amazon:))...I will say it's the 1st time I ever bugged them for a late item, so that may have helped...

EDIT: I did check my account and see the Jan 24th date...I feel bad for those promised who didn't even get it...

Duds: USPS for continuing to deliver packages to the wrong address. Happened again yesterday and I haven't tracked the box down yet. I need to go to the same address but different streets houses. I think I'll be contacting the Postal General about this because talking to the manager at the local post office isn't stopping it.

Every company I've ordered from this year has gotten my stuff to me on time so I'd say they are all fine - Amazon, Best Buy are the top 2 I ordered from plus some ebay sellers.

Update on Dec. 5th - I just got an email from Amazon that one of my orders was returned to them damaged and they were cancelling it rather than sending me out new. That's very odd.

So I need to reorder those Christmas gift items. I was trying to have all Christmas presents on hand before my surgery. Now I won't make it. Rats.

Stopped by the post office yesterday to find out the deal on my package. Whoever got it did return it to the Post office but for some reason it was sent to TX. I'm in GA. So double dud to USPS. It's supposed to be back to me in 3 days. But at that point I will be having surgery so if it doesn't arrive, I won't be able to go deal with USPS in person.

Last edited:
None yet. Get back to me after December 15th when I start my shopping. Amazon Prime is your friend.

Wins -
Dicks-super fast shipping

Best Buy-easy pick up process, found good sales on the 2 electronic items I bought

Amazon-no issues with shipping though I wish I'd known about the free month of Prime. I had an issue in May with an item having the wrong description.

UPS-offering a new service to have things dropped at a pick up center instead of the house. We've had a number of porch thefts in our neighborhood so I'm trying to limit deliveries.

Ok-
Target-annoyed their online prices do not match the store. I have price matched but hate having to do that.

Kohls-mailed most things separately so I've gotten numerous packages, -1 item at a time.

Dud-
Home Depot-ordered a bath vanity, shipping estimate after I bought it was faster than the time showed when I placed the order and we were out of town. If it had told me delivery would be a week earlier at the sale, I would not have bought it. I could not cancel order. Website says they deliver with a signature only and when I called shipper, they were going to be closed so it should be fine.

The shipper ended up transferring it to a local shipper who left it in front of our garage with no signature. Home Depot didn't care and we had to get a neighbor to get it into our gate. Thankfully it did not rain.

Everything has been good and coming quickly for me except Amazon. Target, H+M, AE, Disneystore have all shipped quickly. Amazon is going down hill. I am so mad I cancelled my Prime membership. I placed about 10 orders this past week and NONE are coming in two days. They keep telling me it is taking time for their fulfillment center to ship the product even though online it is saying in stock. One item would get me the package the next day if I paid 5.99 but when I choose two day shipping the estimate was a week later. The CS managed to update my order and it is now coming in five days. They gave me $30 in credits, but honestly I’m paying $100 a year for their service and it isn’t worth it anymore.

I’m surprised by all the negative feedback in regards to amazon. Ive done less shopping off there due to what I’m getting this year, but the few things I’ve ordered have been in a timely manner as prime as advertised. Knocking on wood though, cause I’ve just ordered a stocking stuffer for my son.

Star (so far) surprisingly, Walmart ship to store. Final judgment pending delivery of an intact sewing machine and case. I love the new online pickup area separate from the customer service area, it never has a line!

Star as always, Amazon. All items have arrived 2 days or less. I live in Phoenix so I think that helps.

Dud: Google Express. Lost my $20/$50 Amex deal because Walmart "could not fulfill" an item on my order so they cancelled it. Really? I ordered same item myself and picked it up same day! Google is great but will never beat Amazon at the shipping game.

Dud Target for cancelling items on online orders for items they do have in stock! Also waited 30 minutes (once I checked in) for them to find my online order. Offered to shop for it again myself, would have taken 90 seconds! They were mad at the person who put it in the wrong place so said they couldn't do that. Should have just walked away to rebuy and let them cancel that order. 12 people behind me not happy either! That was day before Thanksgiving. Target is also charging my online orders in bits and pieces as they are shipped so it's hard to tell if I've been charged correctly and have to match up each item to my bank account.

Dud Kohl's, as always. No idea why I buy anything from them. Parts of orders cancelled after 5 days. Orders come in one item at a time weeks apart. Customer service line is always a nightmare. Done with Kohl's.

FYI Kohls ships out items from their stores, which is why packages can come one by one. Maybe the store 2 miles away from you has one of the items, but not everything. That store will ship the one. Another store may have a different item, and send you that.

Though most of my Amazon items come separately, so I'm not sure why it is a big deal.

I would never order anything important on line this time of year. There are too many ways it can go wrong.

FYI Kohls ships out items from their stores, which is why packages can come one by one. Maybe the store 2 miles away from you has one of the items, but not everything. That store will ship the one. Another store may have a different item, and send you that.

Though most of my Amazon items come separately, so I'm not sure why it is a big deal.

I would never order anything important on line this time of year. There are too many ways it can go wrong.
Because everything from Amazon comes in 1 or 2 days!

Dud-Toys R Us. Bought a gift for a local charity to be picked up in store. Went to pick it up and after waiting in line (they don’t have a special line for online pickup like Kohl’s and Best Buy but it’s the general customer service line where people are doing layaway and returns) the lady scanned the bar code from the order confirmation and told me it would take forever to get it from the back. Ds had a basketball game and we hadn’t had lunch so I said we’d be back. Then after leaving I get an email saying I’ve picked up my order??? I tried calling five times and never got through to a person. So ds and I drive back, wait ten minutes in line, and get our toy. We then head to Trader Joe’s and ds is telling me this isn’t a toy for an 8 year old so we are looking at the tru website and I realize they gave me a $15 toy when I bought a $47 toy. Ugh. So we go back, wait in line and they get me the right toy. Then I remember to ask for a gift receipt (online it says they can give you them when you pick up your order) and am told they can’t do it. I’m done with tru. They are totally incompetent.

My good experiences have been with kohl’s (Once they stopped canceling my order), Bloomingdales, Amazon, Monticello Shop, Walmart (believe it or not), shutterfly, and uncommon goods.

Last edited:
Stud--Target. Shipped my items the next day, had them 2 days later.
Stud--several shops on Etsy. Items came quickly, packaged well, and were as described.
Stud--Kohls. All online mail orders came within 2 weeks; pick up in store online orders were in that day.

Dud---Amazon. DH bought an Xbox Elite controller. $149; Listed as brand new, fulfilled by Amazon; listed as brand new in email and invoice. Went out of stock right after we bought it, literally 10 minutes later. Waited 3 weeks, with a cycle of emails
"out of stock"
"in stock and shipping"
"out of stock"
etc.

Finally received it 27 days after ordering...and it had been opened. The batteries and USB cable were missing, along with the extra sets of paddles, and instructions. (All of which should have been in that particular model, as we had purchased one a couple months earlier).

Amazon says they don't have a new one in stock, and that all they could do was ship another used one. We declined, they got the warranty refunded, and gave us a $58 credit (what it will cost on Amazon to replace the missing items). Also, 1 month of free Prime. This took 4 days to get solved.

I've had multiple problems with them the last 2 years (let's just say, it's been more cost effective the last two years to pay monthly for Prime, and I'm just now hitting the cost of a full year over 24 months), and this just put me at the edge of being done with them for ordering anything other than digital goods. I'm not talking about shipping issues where it's FedEx or USPS or UPS fault. I'm talking items with 2 day shipping, guaranteed delivery date, not shipping until 3 days after the delivery date; incorrect items (size, color, totally wrong item altogether) being sent (at one point, I ordered a bag of cat food; I received a set of bamboo skewers, some plastic wiring and dog shampoo); things like that.

ETA: another dud: Lifetouch studios. I ordered DS's school pictures, in mid-October. (picture day was mid-September; the day I got the envelope is the day I ordered) Nov 23rd I contacted them, asking where the order was. Told it was shipped Nov 9th, and that if I didn't have it by Dec 1st, to contact them.

Contacted them Dec 1st. They hadn't even shipped them yet. It's now 7-10 business days, and if they aren't here by Dec 15th, to call them. Geez, it's not like I wanted to include them in Christmas cards or my Christmas packages or anything.

Last edited:
Another Amazon Prime fail..something I purchased last Tuesday isn't scheduled to arrive until this Wednesday. But if I ordered it today? They say I'd get it on Tuesday....yup, a day earlier :confused3 Now tell me how the heck that makes ANY sense. (And yes, it's the same seller fulfilled by Amazon, item was in stock when I ordered and the same 2-day shipping speed selected in both cases. Only difference is I ordered when a 10% coupon was available)

My order hasn't shipped yet, so why can't they just ship it however they are shipping the new orders and get it to me Tuesday???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter