Reusing old refillable mugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiellestad

Earning My Ears
Can we bring our old refillable mugs from last trip to use? Or do they have a chip in them like WDW?

A person in an FB group is there now and is using the same cup they bought in 2018. So I guess you can
Maybe someone managed to "get away with it," but I am quite sure a refillable mug is for length of stay. When selling those mugs, the intention is not that you are getting "free soda refills for life."

The reason they installed the chips at WDW is clearly because people were taking advantage and brining mugs from previous trips, etc. It is a sad commentary that Disney has to do that, but apparently such measure are necessary.

If you look at the pic recently posted on another thread, the little placard on the shelf with the new mugs doesn’t actually say “length of stay” anywhere. Just sayin…

And for the record—cuz this is how we roll here on the internet—I’m pretty sure that’s what Disney meant, but they didn’t say it. And also for the record, boy we will call out peoples’ morals over soda……🙄

I would imagine that if you are paying for a hotel room at Aulani, they are not overly concerned about the ~$.20 worth of soda that you get in the cup. Of course, they want that money too, but they have bigger fish to fry right now.

If you look at the pic recently posted on another thread, the little placard on the shelf with the new mugs doesn’t actually say “length of stay” anywhere. Just sayin…

And for the record—cuz this is how we roll here on the internet—I’m pretty sure that’s what Disney meant, but they didn’t say it. And also for the record, boy we will call out peoples’ morals over soda……🙄
I’m not sure if Disney will survive as a company if they don’t make 15 dollars profit on 10 cents of sugar water.

Sorry - stealing is stealing, whether it is $20 (petty theft) or $1 million (grand larceny).

I went with a friend a bit ago that bought a refillable popcorn bucket and told me how good of a deal it was for popcorn for life at the refill cost. I had to break the news that it, in fact, was just length of stay. I could've told her what a horrible person she was and how Disney has to put microchips in our buckets now because of popcorn criminals like her, but I thought it would be nicer to just tell her she was mistaken. I bet you, right now on these very Disboards, there are dozens of criminals that refill their popcorn bucket until it changes designs even though that's longer than length of stay.

I went with a friend a bit ago that bought a refillable popcorn bucket and told me how good of a deal it was for popcorn for life at the refill cost. I had to break the news that it, in fact, was just length of stay. I could've told her what a horrible person she was and how Disney has to put microchips in our buckets now because of popcorn criminals like her, but I thought it would be nicer to just tell her she was mistaken. I bet you, right now on these very Disboards, there are dozens of criminals that refill their popcorn bucket until it changes designs even though that's longer than length of stay.
Actually, if she was a DVC member, she likely did get free popcorn. It's a perk for DVC members once they buy the bucket.

As to the Coke, I have seen people state that the CM's actually encouraged people to bring their mugs back on future trips. But that is hearsay, so not sure how true.

I actually saw a sign that someone posted that was by the registers, and not the one that is on that shelf with the mugs, that said very clearly that the mugs where for the duration of your current stay. I saw it on a FB group but the discussion got heated and the post was deleted. We all know that they mean that it is for the length of your stay.

Is is really true that the popcorn buckets only allow free refills for "length of stay?" Length of who's stay, and staying where? I guess I just assumed they would be free forever, since you typically buy the buckets in the park and not at one of the resorts and therefore "length of stay" is not really applicable. Also, microchips? Since when? I am not really much of a popcorn guy so I could be wrong about all of that.

Who said anything about calling anyone a horrible person?

Just because the theft is not grand larceny... and just because "lots of people do it"... doesn't make it right. If you were a business owner, I doubt you would appreciate having your customers constantly stealing from you, with the justification "well I already paid $x for something else, so they owe this to me!" Just because the theft won't bankrupt the company doesn't mean it is the right way for people to behave in a civilized society. Trying to defend this just makes you sound silly.

Last edited:
Is is really true that the popcorn buckets only allow free refills for "length of stay?" Length of who's stay, and staying where? I guess I just assumed they would be free forever, since you typically buy the buckets in the park and not at one of the resorts and therefore "length of stay" is not really applicable. Also, microchips? Since when? I am not really much of a popcorn guy so I could be wrong about all of that.

Who said anything about calling anyone a horrible person?

Just because the theft of not grand larceny... and just because "lots of people do it"... doesn't make it right. If you were a business owner, I doubt you would appreciate having your customers constantly stealing from you, with the justification "well I already paid $x for something else, so they owe this to me!" Just because the theft won't bankrupt the company doesn't mean it is the right way for people to behave in a civilized society. Trying to defend this just makes you sound silly.
According the the WDW website, it says that the popcorn buckets works the same as the mug and is good for the length of your stay. I want to know how that is supposed to work for local AP holders. It's not really fair that they only get to use it 1 day when others can have stays as long as 2 weeks and get the benefit. I think that since it is just a paid for, at a reduced price, and not a free refill, that there is more leeway given. Honestly, I think that they say that that is the policy to try to cut down on people handing them off or reselling them. I don't think that they really care about the popcorn buckets as much, with them being a paid refill. They are still making money.

We always buy a new popcorn bucket every visit, but I was surprised to have a CM in MK (with a supervisor standing right next to him) as he rang up my bucket offer that "Great. You'll get popcorn for life with this bucket--all this trip and your future visits too!"

There very well might be, but I can’t justify stealing either, even if you think you can get away with it.

That wasn’t the point I was making.
Then I’m unclear as to what your point actually is. You use the phrase “dozens of criminals,” which I took to be a bit of sarcasm, which led me to believe that you think it might be an overreaction to label reusers of popcorn buckets “popcorn criminals.”

It might very well be. Of course I know it’s not a capitol crime, and for what we’ve payed as owners I think it would be a nice, inexpensive perk to just give us the friggin bucket, which I’d certainly appreciate, but I still think stealing popcorn is kinda bad form, if only for setting a bad example if you have kids.

Can we take mugs from Disney World and reactivate them at Aulani? Or can I reactive Aulani ones from 2018? I rather not get more since I’ve got a ton of the RFID ones in my cabinet.

Can we take mugs from Disney World and reactivate them at Aulani? Or can I reactive Aulani ones from 2018? I rather not get more since I’ve got a ton of the RFID ones in my cabinet.
Aulani does not use chips in their mugs. And they can not reactive cups at WDW either, that is just not a thing. The cups are good for your length of stay on that trip. We all wish that we can reactivate them, maybe one day. You can not use WDW cups at Aulani, you have to buy theirs. Even though Aulani and WDW resorts are owned by the same company, they are still run independently.

Aulani does not use chips in their mugs. And they can not reactive cups at WDW either, that is just not a thing. The cups are good for your length of stay on that trip. We all wish that we can reactivate them, maybe one day. You can not use WDW cups at Aulani, you have to buy theirs. Even though Aulani and WDW resorts are owned by the same company, they are still run independently.
That's not environmentally friendly of Disney. At Sea World, if you buy a reusable mug/ cup, you get 99 cent refills for life. We've been taking ours back for the last 3 years without an issue. Disney should operate like that, too. I live near Disney and our thrift stores are filled with plastic Disney cups that are no longer good in the park. It's a sad waste of plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter