Reusing old refillable mugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not environmentally friendly of Disney. At Sea World, if you buy a reusable mug/ cup, you get 99 cent refills for life. We've been taking ours back for the last 3 years without an issue. Disney should operate like that, too. I live near Disney and our thrift stores are filled with plastic Disney cups that are no longer good in the park. It's a sad waste of plastic.
I don't think that you will get an argument from anyone about that. It is has been discussed many times how we wish that we could bring back our cups. But they are also not good at the parks, only at the resorts. I think that sea world has a different type of program then WDW does. So if you are staying off site, the cups won't do you any good. I know that there are plenty of theme parks that have the refillable mug program that you are talking about. WDW does not have that, it is strictly for resort guests only.

So does Aulani not use the RFID chips in their mugs? That's how Disney World and Universal manage who gets soda and when.

Whether they do or not, I would encourage Aulani to offer a reactivation for around $10. Save guests from having to buy another identical mug if they don't want to.

I just got here and went to buy the mug on Saturday. I had seen some people with a brown one and I couldn't find that color at Ulu cafe so I asked the cashier if maybe there was others colors in other locations. She said "I don't think so, they are probably using an old mug they brought". She didn't say it in a sarcastic or nasty way, just a matter of fact way.
As well, once I got the mug and started filling up, I've already seen people filling up with their own water bottles, a poweraide bottle and a Starbucks coffee cup.
Seems to me that Disney already accounts for some loss in revenue in this situation.
It is not environmentaly friendly to have these mugs be purchased every visit, so I plan on re-using my mug on future trips to Aulani.
We all have our own personal level of what we'll do and what we won't. Berating someone for having a higher or lower level than you is pointless.
Drink on everyone 🤣

I just got here and went to buy the mug on Saturday. I had seen some people with a brown one and I couldn't find that color at Ulu cafe so I asked the cashier if maybe there was others colors in other locations. She said "I don't think so, they are probably using an old mug they brought". She didn't say it in a sarcastic or nasty way, just a matter of fact way.
As well, once I got the mug and started filling up, I've already seen people filling up with their own water bottles, a poweraide bottle and a Starbucks coffee cup.
Seems to me that Disney already accounts for some loss in revenue in this situation.
It is not environmentaly friendly to have these mugs be purchased every visit, so I plan on re-using my mug on future trips to Aulani.
We all have our own personal level of what we'll do and what we won't. Berating someone for having a higher or lower level than you is pointless.
Drink on everyone 🤣
"Unlimited refills available from any beverage station until the end of the stay in which the mug was purchased."

"Purchase a Resort-refillable mug for $18.99 plus tax at either Ulu Cafe, Lava Shack, or Kalepa's Store. Throughout your stay at Aulani, enjoy refills of the following non-alcoholic beverages, available at the following refillable mug stations:"

They even write it in Japanese for those who struggle with plain English.

"This t-shirt does not have an ink tag to prevent theft so I'm going to steal it from the Emporium."
You’re exactly right. Also, was thinking that all those menehune statues around the resort look pretty good, and it would be great to have one in my home garden. Maybe one night I’ll just go out and chisel one out of the concrete. There’s no sign telling us not to do it, and everyone has their own personal level of what we’ll do and what we won’t. All that concrete is bad for the environment anyway, so I’ll be doing Hawaii a favor. And it’s pointless to convince me otherwise. Cheers!

I love how some people are trying to use the excuse about how it is not "environmentally friendly" to buy a new cup as an excuse to blatantly steal. If you don't want to use your cup at home, sell it. There is always someone willing to buy these mugs. Americans are pretty entitled that way. Most of the rest of the World, you don't get free refills. Heck, you don't even get free water at restaurants most places because you are not owed anything. People like this is why they put the chips in the cups at WDW, which I hate. Because we actually reuse our cups at home. I have ones from 20 years ago that I still use. But the new ones can't be microwaved, which stinks. I just don't understand the mentality of people thinking that the rules don't apply to them.

I love how some people are trying to use the excuse about how it is not "environmentally friendly" to buy a new cup as an excuse to blatantly steal. If you don't want to use your cup at home, sell it. There is always someone willing to buy these mugs. Americans are pretty entitled that way. Most of the rest of the World, you don't get free refills. Heck, you don't even get free water at restaurants most places because you are not owed anything. People like this is why they put the chips in the cups at WDW, which I hate. Because we actually reuse our cups at home. I have ones from 20 years ago that I still use. But the new ones can't be microwaved, which stinks. I just don't understand the mentality of people thinking that the rules don't apply to them.
And I HATE playing this card, but it's real... Most people paying rack rates (or discounted cash rates) at Aulani aren't skimping so badly that they want to steal $20 of soda for a week. This is a problem with DVC and DVC members.

And I HATE playing this card, but it's real... Most people paying rack rates (or discounted cash rates) at Aulani aren't skimping so badly that they want to steal $20 of soda for a week. This is a problem with DVC and DVC members.
I think that this is more a personality issue then the method of payment. I am a DVC owner but do not do this.

I think that this is more a personality issue then the method of payment. I am a DVC owner but do not do this.
I'm a DVC member too, and a lowly white card resale-only member at that. I am not saying "all DVC members act like Beverly Hillbillies who don't know how to behave in public." I'm saying "many DVC members act like Beverly Hillbillies who don't know how to behave in public."

At Walt Disney World, those types of members blend into the crowd. At Aulani, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:
I'm a DVC member too, and a lowly white card resale-only member at that. I am not saying "all DVC members act like Beverly Hillbillies who don't know how to behave in public." I'm saying "many DVC members act like Beverly Hillbillies who don't know how to behave in public."

At Walt Disney World, those types of members blend into the crowd. At Aulani, they stick out like a sore thumb.
So DVC member or hillbillies stick out like soar thumbs? I'm confused. LOL I am a pretty observant person, probably more so then most people. But there is no way that I would be able to tell you who is a DVC member unless I looked at their wristband(or they had DVC items on them). And I certainly did not spend enough time analyzing other people's behavior and trying to determine if they are members. People are jerks, I don't think that it has anything to do with being a DVC member or not. If you saw me, you would have no idea if I was a member or how much money I have, etc. I buy Walmart clothing, don't wear any jewelry, am extremely nice to cast members, and never demand anything. And yet I am a blue card DVC member and stay at Aulani for over 2 weeks at a time. Our last trip, my daughter and I stayed in Hawaii for 22 days. We buy a new mug every time.

I have not seen what you are saying about DVC members. In fact, I have seen the opposite. They are very protective of Aulani and it's cast members and go out of their way to be nice. I belong to several travel groups and the most entitled statements that I have seen come from the people that 1) don't like to do any preplanning and act as if the world revolves around them, 2) say that they paid "so much money" for their room and so they "deserve" to demand whatever they want, 3) have no clue what being a DVC member actually means. Case in point, the question about using a WDW mug at Aulani.

The absolute state of the world today when a simple question about refillable mugs turns into a vitriolic argument complete with name slinging AND classism. And the OP hasn't been back to this thread in ages, to boot. The past few weeks I've seen a thread about ice cream flavors, refillable mugs, and Disney stock valuation turn into absolute slugfests.

The absolute state of the world today when a simple question about refillable mugs turns into a vitriolic argument complete with name slinging AND classism. And the OP hasn't been back to this thread in ages, to boot. The past few weeks I've seen a thread about ice cream flavors, refillable mugs, and Disney stock valuation turn into absolute slugfests.
Well when you bring up wanting to steal from a company, understandably you are going to get some pushback. I would be more concerned if no one saw that as a problem. This mentality is why we are seeing people boldly going into stores and just taking what they want. "It's only soda" or "it's just some clothes" is the mentality that some have. Stealing is stealing. How can you not be bothered by people wanting to blatantly steal? It doesn't matter what the theft is.

Last edited:
The absolute state of the world today when a simple question about refillable mugs turns into a vitriolic argument complete with name slinging AND classism.
The absolute state of the world today when people feel brazen enough to seek moral validation to steal soda, of all piss-ant petty schemes, from strangers on the internet and are given enthusiastic approval by those strangers. Class has nothing to do with it. I grew up poor and my father would have beaten my butt if I took something I didn't pay for.

I'm much more concerned about the "state of the world" that justifies trashy behavior than the "state of the world" that calls it out. The "state of the world" is such as it is because we have too little shame, not too much.

Asking if the refillable mug policy is length-of-stay or lifetime is a legitimate question. Saying you know that the refillable mug policy is length-of-stay but you don't care, you're going bring it back on multiple trips as long as you can get away with it, is embarrassing.

@Lilsia and I agree on this, and we don't agree on anything.

Well when you bringing up wanting to steal from a company, understandably you are going to get some pushback. I would be more concerned if no one saw that as a problem. This mentality is why we are seeing people boldly going into stores and just taking what they want. "It's only soda" or "it's just some clothes" is the mentality that some have. Stealing is stealing. How can you not be bothered by people wanting to blatantly steal? It doesn't matter what the theft is.

I didn't see the OP ask if they could steal soda. Maybe you could quote it for me, or maybe it was deleted, I can't seem to find it. They asked if you could bring old refillable mugs to Aulani, and then mentioned they saw it being done on Facebook. In fact, those are the only two posts by OP in this entire thread. Every other motivation for the OP post was imagined by people in this thread who wanted to be argumentative instead of just saying "nope, you can't, have a good trip". I even related a moment I had with someone who bought a refillable popcorn bucket and was told or assumed it was for life by a cast member, and I had to tell her that it was, in fact, only good for the length of the stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter