Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
PUH-lease. They are allowed to bring a guest. I used to be a Disney Employee. And if I wished to take anyone to an event, I was allowed to do so. ANY. ONE. Violating what rules? Getting fired? Over allowing a guest (friend, lover, date you found on Tinder) to join you? Lol.

Im off to Disneyland tonight! Ill report back while negative nellies envy not even taking chances in life.

No. First, if they ARE allowed to bring a guest, that guest has to be with them when they go through the turnstiles so the ticket can get scanned. So even if you wait by the FP machines, it'd be too late at that point. Also, any CM who's doing the Cast Preview will either already have their plus 1 OR know better not to take a stranger along with them.

Stepping in here to remind everyone participating in this thread to keep their comments respectful to each other. It is entirely possible to discuss a topic and even to disagree with each other while remaining respectful and courteous to each other. There is no need to be argumentative, sarcastic, or demeaning to anyone. If anyone here sees a comment that is out of line or a poster who is causing a problem, please report it using the "report" button at the bottom of the post.
Now, back to the discussion!

Does anyone know if it’s easy to get motion sick on ROTR? My mom can’t do Star Tours or Guardians but she can do anything else. I’m just wondering what I should do about the BG for her.

Does anyone know if it’s easy to get motion sick on ROTR? My mom can’t do Star Tours or Guardians but she can do anything else. I’m just wondering what I should do about the BG for her.
Has she tried taking dramamine before riding? I get very motion sick on rides like Star Tours. But, taking Dramamine beforehand keeps me from getting nauseated.

I get somewhat motion sick from just one or two Star Tours rides, and I would say if I kept my eyes open through Flights Of Passage for two whole rides I would surely perish.

I got no motion sickness at all from ROTR, even the drop part is very smooth and doesn't seem to trigger whatever causes motion sickness. I would say anyone can ride it if they can handle other moving cart kinds of rides.

Last edited:
Exactly. Advantage to the early risers willing to go for the opening of the park to grab a virtual BG -- yes. It give no advantage to the 2AM vs 4AM vs 8AM (scanned into park) arrival if opening is at 8AM.

The key is to get everyone who arrives early enough to get scanned into the park -- this has been a challenge for DLR in the past with the scan + take picture bottleneck.

By all means try showing up after 4am and see how it goes!

The earlier you wait in line, there are several advantages:

1) Do you like warm beverages without a 40 minute wait?
2) You can find an advantageous position inside the park ahead of time and get your device ready for optimum use.
3) You can possibly check with a cast member early to confirm the system thinks you are in the park (have not actually done this yet).
4) You can get to rope drop popular rides as you would any other day.
5) Hey, it's an event!

Something to consider, is that Disney seems to take a lot of actions based on crowd size (or at least they did at Hollywood Studios around this ride). Sure they may be letting people in at 7am... or that may start earlier, if crowds outside are really huge well before that. How many multiples of all possible boarding groups worth of people will enter the park before Disney decides to enable boarding group access, even if it's before official park opening time? If they know for sure people entering the park after a certain point will not be able to get a boarding pass or make it more unlikely for everyone inside to get a boarding pass, is it not kinder to tell them BG's are all gone before they come in and use a days worth of park ticket they could save for another day?

Probably any other weekend will be more stable and then showing up at 2am or 4am may not make much of a difference. But opening weekend...

Thursday, January 23rd, 9am park open with 8am EMH/MM should I be at the gates by 7am? That will be the first day we activate our tickets so we will need pictures too.
I'm guessing the best place to be at 8:55am to get a BG will be in the least populated area as possible. Where would that be? Toontown?

Please everyone -- CAREFUL OF COMMENTS FOR SPOILERS! A lot of purists on this board and trying glean best information without exposing to spoilers. Though well intended responses, if any ride concerns, please use that thread on attractions to get this information.

@SirBill - Opening weekend -- I don't know if they are going to do anything different now that they worked through a few renditions in WDW and never gone back or changed even after the few days of BGs gone in 90sec. They may let folk in earlier at the turnstiles, but the BG drop will be at the opening to give everyone in the park, following the post rules, an equal shot of grabbing the BGs when it opens.

I do still believe the learning curve and bottleneck will be at the turnstiles. If DLR is going insist on DL entry only, they are creating crowd management issues by forcing a 50% reduction available entrypoints and will here a massive cry nearing 800A if its 20+ deep still

Scuttlebutt from Micechat is that TS parking lot will be open at 2:00AM. With Ticket booths (and therefore the Esplanade) open at 5:00AM. Supposedly the info came from City Hall, so could be a hip shot or could be real intel.
Screenshot_20200111-073830_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting thing to remember is that the notice says that the Toy Story Lot will open at 2am. Those of us coming from the North will have to remember to push away our reflex to head towards Mickey and Friends.

So what about those of us who can walk to or have someone drop us off at Downtown Disney which closes at 2 AM the night before? Will they kick you out if you go in right before it closes?

So what about those of us who can walk to or have someone drop us off at Downtown Disney which closes at 2 AM the night before? Will they kick you out if you go in right before it closes?
I doubt it? I mean, if people are there lining up, they’ll end up somewhere. They’ll be lined up at the park entrance, or at the security entrance, or something, you know?

So, the more that I think about it and talk to people IRL, the more I think opening day ROTR might not be crazy. It still might be! But some thoughts:
  • As SWGE taught us, many people will stay away from openings due to their perception of crowds.
  • Getting into a BG is a morning thing. Disneyland people are not morning people. This is why DL at rope drop is typically so glorious. I think WDW, with SO MANY PEOPLE staying on-site and such a higher percentage of tourists, is just a different animal. Disneyland’s crowds show up later. A new evening parade? It’s gonna be bananas. But getting there at 6am on a Friday? Ehhhhh... are thousands and thousands of people going to put forth that effort? I think when we hit Spring Break (or President’s Day week), there will be a lot more tourists flooding the gates in the wee hours. But probably not so much this weekend. Hotels don’t look crazy, either.
  • There is a limited pool of people who can attend something on a Friday morning.
  • A lot of local people have let their APs expire. I’d be very interested to see numbers on APs, because anecdotally, over half of the people I knew with passes a year ago no longer have them. I do know a bunch of people planning to use the three-day ticket deal, but none of them are using it this weekend, because of the whole crowd-perception thing.
  • Is Star Wars really such a draw right now, and is riding on opening day in CA important to a huge amount of people? The fandom is not necessarily vibing on Disney’s work here... I think there is a lot of excitement and demand for this ride, no doubt. But I don’t know if it’s a situation where people are feeling the urge to go on opening day. (I mean, I am! But I don’t know anyone else who is. Including a large group of 20-something Disney and SW fans that I was chatting with the other night... they’re the types who rush to the parks to snap up the latest spirit jersey, but NONE of them plan to hit the parks on the 17th.)
Anyway, of course this is all pure speculation. Maybe there are 15,000 people planning to get there before the park opens on opening day. But I kind of don’t think so. Maybe. Ha.

So, the more that I think about it and talk to people IRL, the more I think opening day ROTR might not be crazy. It still might be! But some thoughts:
  • As SWGE taught us, many people will stay away from openings due to their perception of crowds.
  • Getting into a BG is a morning thing. Disneyland people are not morning people. This is why DL at rope drop is typically so glorious. I think WDW, with SO MANY PEOPLE staying on-site and such a higher percentage of tourists, is just a different animal. Disneyland’s crowds show up later. A new evening parade? It’s gonna be bananas. But getting there at 6am on a Friday? Ehhhhh... are thousands and thousands of people going to put forth that effort? I think when we hit Spring Break (or President’s Day week), there will be a lot more tourists flooding the gates in the wee hours. But probably not so much this weekend. Hotels don’t look crazy, either.
  • There is a limited pool of people who can attend something on a Friday morning.
  • A lot of local people have let their APs expire. I’d be very interested to see numbers on APs, because anecdotally, over half of the people I knew with passes a year ago no longer have them. I do know a bunch of people planning to use the three-day ticket deal, but none of them are using it this weekend, because of the whole crowd-perception thing.
  • Is Star Wars really such a draw right now, and is riding on opening day in CA important to a huge amount of people? The fandom is not necessarily vibing on Disney’s work here... I think there is a lot of excitement and demand for this ride, no doubt. But I don’t know if it’s a situation where people are feeling the urge to go on opening day. (I mean, I am! But I don’t know anyone else who is. Including a large group of 20-something Disney and SW fans that I was chatting with the other night... they’re the types who rush to the parks to snap up the latest spirit jersey, but NONE of them plan to hit the parks on the 17th.)
Anyway, of course this is all pure speculation. Maybe there are 15,000 people planning to get there before the park opens on opening day. But I kind of don’t think so. Maybe. Ha.
I hope you’re right! One of the reasons I want to go opening day is because I think it might be less crowded than the rest of the opening weekend. Fingers crossed!!

Agree. I think the sweet spot really is Friday for the ride. The weekend will bring in MLK and the following is Lunar New Year.

By all means try showing up after 4am and see how it goes!

The earlier you wait in line, there are several advantages:

1) Do you like warm beverages without a 40 minute wait?
2) You can find an advantageous position inside the park ahead of time and get your device ready for optimum use.
3) You can possibly check with a cast member early to confirm the system thinks you are in the park (have not actually done this yet).
4) You can get to rope drop popular rides as you would any other day.
5) Hey, it's an event!

Something to consider, is that Disney seems to take a lot of actions based on crowd size (or at least they did at Hollywood Studios around this ride). Sure they may be letting people in at 7am... or that may start earlier, if crowds outside are really huge well before that. How many multiples of all possible boarding groups worth of people will enter the park before Disney decides to enable boarding group access, even if it's before official park opening time? If they know for sure people entering the park after a certain point will not be able to get a boarding pass or make it more unlikely for everyone inside to get a boarding pass, is it not kinder to tell them BG's are all gone before they come in and use a days worth of park ticket they could save for another day?

Probably any other weekend will be more stable and then showing up at 2am or 4am may not make much of a difference. But opening weekend...
I'm speculating that boarding groups will not open until published opening time even on the first day and the rest of opening weekend, regardless of crowd size. People freaked out on the couple of occasions where boarding groups were completely gone at WDW before the published opening time of the park. Since then, and for weeks now, WDW has been consistent about not opening boarding groups until published opening time, even if that means getting a group becomes a functional lottery that ends in 2-10 minutes. Disney also does not want to incentivize lining up at 4 am, and certainly not at 2 am. It is a security hazard and a cost to Disney, which then has to pay for personnel to be on site.

Last edited:
Thursday, January 23rd, 9am park open with 8am EMH/MM should I be at the gates by 7am? That will be the first day we activate our tickets so we will need pictures too.
I'm guessing the best place to be at 8:55am to get a BG will be in the least populated area as possible. Where would that be? Toontown?
Do you plan to enter for EMH/MM? Either way, I'd personally be there at 6:00 am. Also, unless you are entering for EMH/MM and Toontown is ordinarily accessible during that time (which I don't think it is, right?), then I doubt you'll be able to stake a spot there. It's most likely that everyone who enters for EMH/MM will be limited to the areas of the park open during that time, and everyone not entering for EMH/MM will be limited to Main Street.

Agree. I think the sweet spot really is Friday for the ride. The weekend will bring in MLK and the following is Lunar New Year.

Of the 3 days (4 if you count Monday MLK Holiday) I think you're correct in saying Friday might be the least crowded day to go. Especially if you go early. Flex PHs are now blocked out on the 18th & 19th. The blocked out days in the past were crowded more than normal. I reserved the 18th for my family a while ago and im dreading having to get up super early and deal with the crowds. Oh well, if we don't get a BG, you'll find us at DCA enjoying the first few days of the Lunar Festival, we at least have that!!

Of the 3 days (4 if you count Monday MLK Holiday) I think you're correct in saying Friday might be the least crowded day to go. Especially if you go early. Flex PHs are now blocked out on the 18th & 19th. The blocked out days in the past were crowded more than normal. I reserved the 18th for my family a while ago and im dreading having to get up super early and deal with the crowds. Oh well, if we don't get a BG, you'll find us at DCA enjoying the first few days of the Lunar Festival, we at least have that!!
Are flex blocked? Or is it just that all the reservations are gone? I thought I saw both days available to reserve at one point?

I hope your theory holds through Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter