Road Warrior Poll: How far did you drive to get to Disneyworld/Disneyland last trip?

How many miles did you drive (one way) to get there?

• 0-50

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • >50

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • >150

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • >500

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • >1000

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • >2000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
635 Miles, around 10 hrs. Used to be anyway, now takes us 2 days as we age. Made it once in 9.5 hrs, one stop for restroom, boy, those were the days:teeth:
Now, we stop over in Brunswick, GA after around 5.5 hrs on road, then we will meander off 95 to 301 for a more leisurely drive through the countryside of FL. Takes maybe 30 more mins, but the stress level isn't there anymore like 95 and 4 produce

13.5 hours here about 900 miles. We break the drive up and stop in Brunswick, GA for 1 night. Next day we usually get to WDW in early afternoon.

it’s about 860 miles from northern VA. We always stay overnight at some midpoint, mostly at Pooler GA. Last couple of visits we cheated on the way back by taking the auto train :)

it’s about 860 miles from northern VA. We always stay overnight at some midpoint, mostly at Pooler GA. Last couple of visits we cheated on the way back by taking the auto train :)
How long does the auto train take?

It's about 1,160 miles from Southeastern Michigan. These days, I stop for a bit in the northern Atlanta suburbs to visit relatives on the way down. (Funny side note: I barely avoided gridlocked Atlanta traffic on one trip by lurching over into the Atlanta express lanes, remembering at the last moment that my "old" SunPass works in GA.) Before the last couple of trips, I generally stopped overnight south of Atlanta somewhere, sometimes I'd priceline a room, sometimes I'd book directly on a hotel website for the overnight. Usually hang around at the TN Welcome Center near Jellico for a little while, but not too long--they had a sign up saying you can't park there for more than 2 hours. That's good enough to get some rest, though.

How long does the auto train take?
Unfortunately it’s slower than driving, about 17 hours or so whereas total driving time is about 12. But of course the train is doing it in one go so total time to get back to northern VA is less. It’s a little more relaxing to the kids and spouse as well, but honestly if it were up to me I’d drive back too and avoid the train and retain total control of the trip.

Unfortunately it’s slower than driving, about 17 hours or so whereas total driving time is about 12. But of course the train is doing it in one go so total time to get back to northern VA is less. It’s a little more relaxing to the kids and spouse as well, but honestly if it were up to me I’d drive back too and avoid the train and retain total control of the trip.
We took Amtrak many years ago and it was fun on the way down but torture on the way home.

Approximately 1030 miles from CT. For the longer trips (3weeks or greater) we combine bringing down lots of "stuff" for the house we bought last year in North Orlando as well as the dog who stays at Best Friends. We typically limit most visits to 4 days at WDW and then 2-3 weeks repairing /remodeling the house. Fun right?

At some point I was trying to take the auto train but the cost was way higher than a plane and they would not allow a dog.

We took Amtrak many years ago and it was fun on the way down but torture on the way home.
Was it due to delays and such? For the most part taking the train wasn’t that bad.
To me personally was kind of less convenient than driving since last day becomes more strict in times since we need to arrive to station on time to get car loaded, and the Sanford station is not exactly next door. Also being “stuck” with what train offers on the long-ish trip, and the car unloading at destination took forever one time. All just first world problems of course.

Google maps says 477 miles from my house to magic kingdom. I live in northern suburbs of Atlanta so normally hit the road 5-6 am ish to get through downtown Atlanta. Must do stops - Fort Valley Bucees just outside Macon, Florida Welcome Center on I 75 - I go grapefruit with my free juice.

Was it due to delays and such? For the most part taking the train wasn’t that bad.
To me personally was kind of less convenient than driving since last day becomes more strict in times since we need to arrive to station on time to get car loaded, and the Sanford station is not exactly next door. Also being “stuck” with what train offers on the long-ish trip, and the car unloading at destination took forever one time. All just first world problems of course.
It stops so much and 24 hours is a long time.

On the ride down there was a nice couple who helped make the trip better

Around 1300 miles from upstate NY. We stopped in Brunswick, GA for the night and were at BWV by 10:30 the next morning. We usually stop at Peach World either on the way down or way back. Got some wine and moonshine and a couple quarts of boiled peanuts. We go for 10+ days, so we like to have a car. Airfare for 6 and a rental that'll fit six gets pretty expensive- way more than the cost of gas and a night's lodging.

From West Michigan, it's about 1250 miles (18 hours non-stop). The last time we drove was April 2010. When we drove, it was always over Spring Break so we'd leave in the afternoon on a Friday and drive until about 9-10pm (4-5 hours) which got us to southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky. The next day (Sat), we'd drive most of the day (9-10 hours) and end up in northern Florida, around the Lake City area. That left us a leisurely drive of about 2 hours or so into Orlando on Sunday. We'd sleep in and arrive well-rested for our vacation. We'd stay 5 nights (Su-Th) and then leave to go home early Friday morning. We'd drive all day, usually staying in Northern TN for the night and then drive the rest of the way home on Saturday. That left us with Sunday to recover and then back to school on Monday. Since it was over Spring Break, and we are a family of 4, this was always cheaper than flying from Grand Rapids.

Right around the corner from @StevieB81 in Upstate NY. A smidge over 1300 miles. We did our Welcome Home trip last September but being retired, we made a trip out of it so no barnstorming. Took about 4 days with stops in Philly to see the Liberty Bell, B. Franklin's shop, cheesesteak. A day in Washington D.C. Then did Skyline Drive (Senior Lifetime National Park Pass) on our way to visit a cousin in Johnson City, Tn. From there, Spartanburg for BMW Factory Tour. Over to Savannah to scope out possible winter AirB&B. Then on to AKV where the rest of our group would be arriving that evening. Trip back was more direct but still took a few days with stops at Lancaster, Pa, Hershey. I also drive an electric car so I stop about every 200 miles which breaks up the trip.

Depends on the year! We are over 1000 miles. We have done it straight through - going the excitement keeps you awake! We have stopped at family for a night or two. Typically two driving days with a stop to see family.

About 900 miles from the Maryland area of metro DC. We have been making the trip 2-3 times a year for many years now. We always stop in Santee, SC both ways. The worst part of the trip is I95, both ways, between DC and Richmond.

Last edited:
We are between 1300 and 1400 from the Toronto, Canada area or between 2100 and 2300 KM...lol depends on which way around Lake Erie we want to go.
Always drive straight thru and always between 22 and 24 hours. That is with stops and a 2 hour power nap since I am the only driver. But I like it that way.
Have no issue driving. Last time I drove solo and loaded wife and 2 daughters up on a plane. Peace and quiet drive, had all our luggage and my clubs. Went early and played a couple of rounds before they landed. Customs had a hard time with 3 ladies travelling with no luggage, not even carry on.....lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter