• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rooms now being assigned by computer

just curious... what is your request that is so important to double request?

LOL - any request I want. If I request it, it is important to me and I want to put it in their faces! So, if I want it...I request it and do it so boldly - via the WDTC and fax to the resort - and unlike some people, I have always gotten the room type I wanted. Works for me so I will continue doing it!

Also, I do not listen to everything I hear in the supermarket or read on the newstands - same thing goes for this board. There is often conflicting info so everyone needs to not debate the merit of every single point as this gets highly annoying. I try to offer my insight from what I know to be factual - and you can take it or leave it.

Happy Planning!

LOL - any request I want. If I request it, it is important to me and I want to put it in their faces! So, if I want it...I request it and do it so boldly - via the WDTC and fax to the resort - and unlike some people, I have always gotten the room type I wanted. Works for me so I will continue doing it!

Also, I do not listen to everything I hear in the supermarket or read on the newstands - same thing goes for this board. There is often conflicting info so everyone needs to not debate the merit of every single point as this gets highly annoying. I try to offer my insight from what I know to be factual - and you can take it or leave it.

Happy Planning!

The thing is, with room requests, whay you may encounter may not be what another poster encounters. I just want to make sure that anyone reading understands that even with faxing and putting it on your reservation, you may still not get your requests met. Even though you have a 100% success rate doing so, that doesn't mean every guest will. Especially not now that Disney is going to computerized room assignments. Which is brand new, so your friend may not know all the ins and outs as far as that goes. I'd bet Disney is still tweaking the whole process.

You can try to fax (or not, save a tree!) but there are no guarantees.

I just want to make sure that anyone reading understands that even with faxing and putting it on your reservation, you may still not get your requests met.
Good point, and I'll go one step further and say that fostering an expectation that requests shall be met is committing a disservice: Fostering that expectation in others often sets them up for disappointment and disaffection, while fostering that expectation in yourself often sets your family up to have to contend with your disappointment and disaffection. ;)

Good point, and I'll go one step further and say that fostering an expectation that requests shall be met is committing a disservice: Fostering that expectation in others often sets them up for disappointment and disaffection, while fostering that expectation in yourself often sets your family up to have to contend with your disappointment and disaffection. ;)

My understanding of this message board is that it is for people to share their own experiences and what happens to them and what is most common. Everyone should understand (or at least I hope) that this is only "community chat" and does not promise or guarentee anything. We are not in the business of providing any service (or disservice) but once again - PROVIDING COMMON EXPERIENCES TO THE COMMUNITY FOR THEM TO TAKE OR LEAVE AS THEY MAY.

My understanding of this message board is that it is for people to share their own experiences and what happens to them and what is most common. Everyone should understand (or at least I hope) that this is only "community chat" and does not promise or guarentee anything.
Yes, absolutely. :thumbsup2 Let's hope everyone understands that, or is assisted in coming to that understanding. :thumbsup2

My understanding of this message board is that it is for people to share their own experiences and what happens to them and what is most common. Everyone should understand (or at least I hope) that this is only "community chat" and does not promise or guarentee anything. We are not in the business of providing any service (or disservice) but once again - PROVIDING COMMON EXPERIENCES TO THE COMMUNITY FOR THEM TO TAKE OR LEAVE AS THEY MAY.

Yes, absolutely. :thumbsup2 Let's hope everyone understands that, or is assisted in coming to that understanding. :thumbsup2

bicker, I completely agree with you. Too often people come here, read about experiences others have had, and proceed to foster expectations of receiving the same experience. Then we hear about the "disappointment" when they return from their trip. Hoping for a little pixie dust is ok, but being upset when a false expectation is not realized is a bit childish. I don't get upset if the server, desk clerk, attraction operator, etc. does not perform some random extra act posted by my fellow DISer, but if it happens that just makes my smile bigger and my memories better!!!! All CM's have the potential to sprinkle a little extra magic your way, but sometimes the busyness of their routine hinders their ability to do it. If it happens, be happy.....if it doesn't, be happy as well!!! :woohoo:

:thumbsup2

As far as requests go, I look at it this way. Your request is just that. A request. Sure, if they can make it happen, they do their best. But no guarantees. For example. What if you request a particular view on a particular floor, with a particular building. If the day you arrive, those rooms are already assigned to people who arrived earlier, your just not gonna get it. The more general your request, the more likely you're to get it. So, for example, if you request a top floor and there are lots of buildings in the resort, chances are one will be available. If you request say, Trinidad over in CBR (but not say a particular building or floor), chances are pretty high something will be available, but if say, you say you want to be on the first floor of the 60's building by the pool at Pop Century, might be full, because you've narrowed the available rooms in that request group down considerably.

I think CM's are lucky people because they go to work every day knowing that some small little detail, just can be the thing that puts a smile on someone's face for the day. I told a friend of mine who is a CM at Ft. Wilderness that he's lucky, because just doing his job can make people happy. :goodvibes How many of us have jobs that put a smile on a face?

Exactly! That is why I will continue to handle my reservation the same way i always have. I book on-line, then call my requests in to reservation. I then reiterate my requests at on-line check in. have always gotten my requests. Of course I always keep them simple (POR- Mansions, 1st floor. CSR- Cabanas 8A, 9A, or 9B. etc....).

Maybe the fact that we always arrive early and in mid-week helps the cause too. I think we've all read (adnauseum) and understand that requests are just requests....

So why not shoot for what you want and use the ideas of others who may have had some success with them?

I'd rather try to get what I want and not get it, then not try and wonder if I would have.

Actually, don't waste your time with a fax. They don't even look at them anymore, they just go right into the garbage. There were too many people sending in faxes, and not enough people to look at them. So they don't even look at them at all.

I faxed a short request list to Pop 3 days before my trip this past September. I got everything I requested. I asked for 4th floor - check, 50's - check, pool view since I was traveling alone - check. I just don't think that was a fluke. Someone read my requests and met them because the rooms were available.

So why not shoot for what you want and use the ideas of others who may have had some success with them?
The issue is not whether or not to try - do so if you're so inclined and have some time to kill. Rather the issue is whether or not to expect - specifically to foster an expectation that the request will be considered and granted. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it shouldn't be expected, because that servicing isn't promised as part of what guests are being offered. If a request is granted, that should be viewed as a great bonus. All to often these days people take such above-and-beyond things as par, instead of recognizing them for what they are.

Guests should expect to get any of the rooms in the room class they booked, from the very highest all the way down to the very lowest, holding no animosity for their host or for circumstance regardless of which is the actual outcome.

WHINNERS love to whine:rolleyes1
Our society's tendency toward complaining isn't going to be obviated in a few days. It's an ongoing process that will take as long to eradicate as it took to develop, if not more, since there is so much of our society that benefits from the culture of complaining that has developed.

I faxed a short request list to Pop 3 days before my trip this past September. I got everything I requested. I asked for 4th floor - check, 50's - check, pool view since I was traveling alone - check. I just don't think that was a fluke. Someone read my requests and met them because the rooms were available.

Be that as it may, now that a computer is assigning rooms, I'm not sure you would have the same outcome. But who knows? I'm really interested in hearing from people that are still making requests with the new system. I wonder how much trouble the check in CMs will go to to meet any requests.

You can fax it, email it, call them, do whatever makes you feel better but no matter what you do just keep in mind IT IS JUST A REQUEST, you still may end up with nothing. No matter how hard you try and how much you put it in their faces, they do not HAVE to fulfill any requests.

I have my requests (simple- high floor, and depending on which resort the building or general area) noted on my reservation. So don't feel like I have to send a fax. They already have my requests.

I have been lucky in the past to get at least one of my requests each stay.
Last time at POR I got the building I requested, but a ground floor. I'm happy with that.

The issue is not whether or not to try - do so if you're so inclined and have some time to kill. Rather the issue is whether or not to expect - specifically to foster an expectation that the request will be considered and granted. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it shouldn't be expected, because that servicing isn't promised as part of what guests are being offered. If a request is granted, that should be viewed as a great bonus. All to often these days people take such above-and-beyond things as par, instead of recognizing them for what they are.

Guests should expect to get any of the rooms in the room class they booked, from the very highest all the way down to the very lowest, holding no animosity for their host or for circumstance regardless of which is the actual outcome.

Our society's tendency toward complaining isn't going to be obviated in a few days. It's an ongoing process that will take as long to eradicate as it took to develop, if not more, since there is so much of our society that benefits from the culture of complaining that has developed.

I think I covered my expectations in my post, though you didn't "Quote" that part.

Some folks really don't need to keep beating him, the horse is dead already! A request is just a request! We get it!

Some folks really don't need to keep beating him, the horse is dead already! A request is just a request! We get it!

But it is not just about if the people who are posting get it. It is about if the people who are just lurking get it as well. And apparently not everyone still gets it because I saw another thread yesterday with a person crabbing about not getting their requests met. No wonder Disney is going to a computer assigning rooms!

No, members probably won't quit over one small issue, but many small issues add up to an overall happiness level with their membership. This overall happiness level effects people's enjoyment of their vacations, which needs to be pretty high for people to add-on, and recommend DVC to others. Obviously, Disney and DVC want the members to have an overall happiness level in the high range. Also, people's individual flexibility level effects how well they handle a new change. Some people will be bent out of shape by any change and others will not miss a step.

What issue is there with the studios at BLT? I am hoping to be able to stay there some day. The themeing doesn't thrill me, I"m more of a Victorian charm gal, but the layout is great and the added seating at the dining table really helps for us people who'd like to eat in.

Well, you're asking the wrong girl about the studio issues. I loved the studios..even with the bathroom sink in the galley kitchen area. But, then again, there is little 'product' being used by my family, so issues with that. BUT...many other DVC owners had a huge issue with that, so Disney/DVC has gone in and redone the studios. Now the sink is in the toilet/tub area. The sliding door into that room has also been changed up a bit to provide addtl security, and a full length mirror has been added in the galley area. So yes, DVC does listen to it's members. But they also aren't big on villa requests either.

Here's my issue with 'requests'. What happens when 8 families, all checking in on the same day, have all requested rooms on a high floor, close the elevators??? There are only 'x' number of rooms that are going to fit that request. So, who gets their wish??? I suppose it's not so bad if all you request is 'a higher floor' or 'close to the elevator'. But when you start giving two or three requirements, it's going to be tough to book the room you want. Really...other than a medical need, this just isn't all that important. You aren't buying that room..just using it for a week or less. If it isn't perfect, what's the big deal?
The truly funny thing is that I posted a photo of a studio I had a few weeks ago. Someone wanted to know what I had requested in order to be lucky enough to get that particular villa. Lucky??? Sure it was quiet and all..but it was a huge walk to the elevators!! I didn't think I was lucky at all. Not crazy about that particular location at all!! Just goes to show..one's man treasure is another man's trash (so to speak).

This thread reminds me - I need to call DVC and put in a request for our upcoming visit. It's rare I put in requests and when I do its usually only a single request. The last time I put in a request it was to be close to the bus stop/main lobby at AKL-Kidani and it was granted. I have to put that request in again - hopefully we will get it and if not that is fine as well.

I am amazed at how many people do come to the boards and have a huge gripe when their requests are not met. I think some let it even "ruin" parts of their vacation which is sad.

My DH, who is a computer engineer, thinks that it would not be difficult for DVC or Disney is general, to allow people to book rooms like they do on cruise ships or airplane seats, by showing you a diagram of what is available at the time you book, and allow you to select and lock-in a room. I am not convinced though, that they'd get maximum occupancy/efficiency that way.

However, sometimes, when you don't get what you want, it works out even better. We once got first floor at Saratoga, which I didn't want because of the better view on the top floor, but then the kids had a great time with their little "yard".., it was a pleasant surprise. Another time, I requested first floor at the Pop, and I got the 2nd floor, but I was even happier, there were fewer noisy people walking by my room and I had a nice view of the courtyard. So, before people whine, they should visit the room location and check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter