Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can usually go without being around people for long periods of time, but when I see my friends and extended family I want more than a wave and shout from 6ft away!
I like people. I enjoy talking with strangers. I enjoy seeing peoples facial expressions. Wearing masks and distancing myself from others is not how I want to live. I think the majority of people feel this way.

We are in the same position. Our upcoming trip was to be our "once in a lifetime" trip. Now, this isn't actually true. We have been many times, and God willing, will hopefully be many times again. But, the kids will be 5 and 2, so we planned to splurge big time this trip...character meals, BBB, EMM....just splurging on a lot of things that we normally don't.

So, knowing we'll probably miss out on a lot of those, we do wonder if it's worth it. No character interactions, no shows, no fireworks, no parades...they're at that age where character interactions and shows are such prime and special experiences.

That said, looking on the bright side, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience Disney in a way that many of us haven't since the 80s/90s.....or maybe never before, and possibly never again. Yes for the kiddos' first trip (that they will remember, at least), you don't want them to have the memory of masks and craziness and stress and no parades, no fireworks, no Festival of the Lion King, no Epcot. You want them to have those GREAT memories. But maybe the tradeoff is...they have memories of a less crowded Main Street, fewer lines, etc.

We’re in the same boat. Our July trip was supposed be my nephews’ first trip. They’re 12 and 7, and we’ve been trying to get this trip off the ground for years. They‘re both saving up to build lightsabers and droids, my little nephew was planning to wear his stormtrooper costume, and they were both excited for the pool at our resort. We’ve talked to them and they both understand that the trip may need to be postponed, but I found out my little nephew is still watching the countdown we set up for them just in case.

If the parks are going to be open, and it’s safe enough to go, we‘d like to try. We’re from NJ, and the virus has hit our family and friends pretty hard, and everyone has been through enough without having to watch our Disney trip go down the drain too. But we also don‘t want to go if the parks are going to be super-limited, with parades and fireworks, shows, and character meals potentially closed. So it’s going to be a long month waiting to know if we’re still going this summer, or next summer.

I believe there are people that don't need intimacy and social contact, but they are probably miserable anti-social people. Most of us like being around around other people. Why go on a vacation to shout at people from 6 feet away. Masks are also dehumanizing...No thanks. If WDW requires a mask I'll just wait until this is over.

Yep, me too.
Our typical WDW trips cost about $10k CDN. There is zero chance I'm spending $10k to have to walk around in Florida heat wearing a mask.

To keep it tied to WDW and the boards, I propose we now refer to "Social DIStancing".

We can argue about masks all we want, but in the end that decision is being decided for us. Massachusetts just started mandating masks up our way.

Many states are now opening up their phase 1 and will probably jump the gun to phase 2 (or more) by the end of the month. Other states will begin soon. When cases start to spike again because let's face it people are weak, do you think these states will want to close up again or begin strictly enforcing the 6ft measures and institute mandatory masks in public?

You can have interaction while being 6 ft apart.

Sure, but it is not sustainable. I know you disagree, but it just isn’t.

There is no point in standing 6 feet away from my friend that I haven’t seen in 2 months. We might as well FaceTime instead.

I believe there are people that don't need intimacy and social contact, but they are probably miserable anti-social people. Most of us like being around around other people. Why go on a vacation to shout at people from 6 feet away.

I'm realizing that:

1. People have an unrealistic idea of how far apart 6' is. It's really not that far, and there is most definitely 0 need to shout or even remotely raise your voice, for a 6' distance.
2. People like to make a lot of judgmental assumptions - I know plenty of people who don't need a lot of social contact (they're called introverts) as well as people who don't need a lot of physical contact (we all thrive with different things) - and they're wonderful people. Not miserable, anti-social people.
3. Some people seriously have a problem with change.

Every single person here has enjoyed social contact from a 6' distance before, they just don't realize it. You've all stood 6' away from your friends, your family and had no problem with it. You have all gathered in a group, stood around talking with a group of friends or colleague at any number of settings - anything from a backyard gathering to an office party (or any other type, lol) to having guests in your kitchen, or heck, if you really want to go back, played with kids on the playground... In that setting, at some point (or for much of it), you were 6' away from the other person(s) you were conversing/interacting with - and you had NO problem with it. You enjoyed it. People are just throwing a fit about it now because they're being told they have to do it.

The saying, "Life is what you make it?" applies here. You can choose to be miserable and moan and groan and complain, or you can choose to make the best of it. Would I love to hug my family and some of my friends? Sure. But I can't right now, so instead, I will choose to make the best of it. And, as a result, we've had some great socially distanced visits. DH's best friend dropped by last week, and we had a great visit, outside on the deck, all 6'+ apart, for 2 hours. We laughed, we joked (in a perfectly normal speaking voice, I might add) and in all honesty, it wasn't different from any other time we hung out. The reality is, this rule isn't going to change much in your interactions with friends/family, other than you can't touch them.

Outside of touch, the change is perception only.

I'm realizing that:

1. People have an unrealistic idea of how far apart 6' is. It's really not that far, and there is most definitely 0 need to shout or even remotely raise your voice, for a 6' distance.
2. People like to make a lot of judgmental assumptions - I know plenty of people who don't need a lot of social contact (they're called introverts) as well as people who don't need a lot of physical contact (we all thrive with different things) - and they're wonderful people. Not miserable, anti-social people.
3. Some people seriously have a problem with change.

Every single person here has enjoyed social contact from a 6' distance before, they just don't realize it. You've all stood 6' away from your friends, your family and had no problem with it. You have all gathered in a group, stood around talking with a group of friends or colleague at any number of settings - anything from a backyard gathering to an office party (or any other type, lol) to having guests in your kitchen, or heck, if you really want to go back, played with kids on the playground... In that setting, at some point, you were 6' away from some of the other person you were conversing/interacting with - and you had NO problem with it. You enjoyed it. People are just throwing a fit about it now because they're being told they have to do it.

The saying, "Life is what you make it?" applies here. You can choose to be miserable and moan and groan and complain, or you can choose to make the best of it. Would I love to hug my family and some of my friends? Sure. But I can't right now, so instead, I will choose to make the best of it. And, as a result, we've had some great socially distanced visits. DH's best friend dropped by last week, and we had a great visit, outside on the deck, all 6'+ apart, for 2 hours. We laughed, we joked (in a perfectly normal speaking voice, I might add) and in all honesty, it wasn't different from any other time we hung out. The reality is, this rule isn't going to change much in your interactions with friends/family, other than you can't touch them.

Outside of touch, the change is perception only.

As far as it relates to Disney you won’t have to be socially distanced from those in your party. Actually to me it sounds great I can be close to the ones I love and everyone else stay away from me.

This argument has lowered to the point to where people are posting false and dangerous pictures about the efficacy of wearing a face mask.

The county in Florida I live in recommends masks, but does not require them. My observation has about 70% of the population not wearing masks. If Disney recommends it, but doesn’t require it, I would assume that most people won’t wear them. Will this cause fights between the mask vs non mask people? Nothing is more magical than a Disney fight.

My job provides me with an N95 and a cloth mask. If it’s required at Disney, I simply won’t go. The thought of having my family wear them in late August when my trip is planned is unpleasant. Hopefully we will be mostly past this by then.

I hate this virus.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...BN22D53X?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=twitter
Executive Chairman Bob Iger recently said checking guests’ temperature could become routine at Disney park entrances. Among other plans under consideration, according to a source briefed on Disney’s thinking: Rides like the Space Mountain roller coaster could stagger guests in each “rocket” to enforce social distancing. Guests could be notified via app or another technology when they can go on a ride or in a restaurant to eliminate lines.
Staffers, known as cast members, and guests could be required to wear masks. But in true Disney fashion, employees’ masks would be fun, not scary, the source said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...BN22D53X?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=twitter
Executive Chairman Bob Iger recently said checking guests’ temperature could become routine at Disney park entrances. Among other plans under consideration, according to a source briefed on Disney’s thinking: Rides like the Space Mountain roller coaster could stagger guests in each “rocket” to enforce social distancing. Guests could be notified via app or another technology when they can go on a ride or in a restaurant to eliminate lines.
Staffers, known as cast members, and guests could be required to wear masks. But in true Disney fashion, employees’ masks would be fun, not scary, the source said.
the checking of temp comment was done by Iger about a month and a half ago. I wouldn't count that as moving forward anymore

This argument has lowered to the point to where people are posting false and dangerous pictures about the efficacy of wearing a face mask.

The county in Florida I live in recommends masks, but does not require them. My observation has about 70% of the population not wearing masks. If Disney recommends it, but doesn’t require it, I would assume that most people won’t wear them. Will this cause fights between the mask vs non mask people? Nothing is more magical than a Disney fight.

My job provides me with an N95 and a cloth mask. If it’s required at Disney, I simply won’t go. The thought of having my family wear them in late August when my trip is planned is unpleasant. Hopefully we will be mostly past this by then.

I hate this virus.
The mask would really hinder a trip

Everything I have read says mask on or 6ft, not both...even though that is the more considerate way to go.

In the beginning they were saying not to wear masks because (A) they expected people to understand what a pandemic is and stay at home as much as possible and B they didn’t want the public to hord all the N95 masks before hospitals/states could stock up what they could.
And (C) because if you are constantly touching it to adjust it, the mask gets contaminated.

Mods have asked on another thread to knock it off, guess they'll have to do it on every thread.

I think it's allowed on this thread because it's a rumor about a modification to the park experience.

In the end:

1. Disney will make masks mandatory (for a time) and those who don't want to wear one will simply choose to go when it's not mandatory.

or

2. Disney will NOT make masks mandatory and if someone is uncomfortable to be around people who aren't wearing masks because it's not required should simply wait until they will be comfortable out in a public space.

Good morning!!!
:)

I am most curious to see how they will handle counter service and sit down, in both parks and resorts. And the pool area.

Hopefully when they release their reopening plan, they include those topics. I think that will also be a factor in people's decisions to visit.

My friend texted me this yesterday about her sister’s Halloween party in October...the info was from a phone CM but still found it interesting.View attachment 492274
I think it would be more likely that they cancel all the MNSSHP than the parks not being open at all for the rest of the year - maybe that is what the phone CM meant? Some of the biggest draws of the Halloween parties are things that are definitely challenging to manage - crowds for the parade and fireworks, CMs handing out candy and long lines for character meets- so it would not surprise me to see them canceled rather than heavily modified. I am firmly on the side of thinking a longer closure of the parks is safer but even I think they are probably reopening this year and likely by the end of the summer at the latest.

I hate this virus.

I'm really not that afraid of the virus at all. It's a concern, sure. But I'm far more afraid of the irrational panic from people who are terrified of it. If someone is that terrified of the virus that they are worried about everyone around them not wearing a mask or gloves, they need to stay away from Disney World. They need to stay at home until there is a vaccine. Just because you are in a long term panic attack over the virus doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

People drive me crazy sometimes.

My friend texted me this yesterday about her sister’s Halloween party in October...the info was from a phone CM but still found it interesting.View attachment 492274
This is the stuff that ticks me off. Rumors. If it is truly a CM that said this then they should be fired. I am sure Disney would not appreciate these kinds of rumors being spread. Why can’t people just wait for official announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter