Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

HAPPY 4th ANNIVERSARY of the birth of the LOUNGERS! 🍹

I have gone through just a smidge of my Animal Kingdom photos and I just couldn't pick any single stand out one because I have so many great ones. I love the Animal Kingdom and that is saying a lot.

When it was announced they were building it I was upset. I couldn't imagine a dumber thing to build. Animals do their own thing .... Disney is about animatronics, who usually do what they are supposed to do. How are animals going to be part of creativity? Now I love zoos and a member of ours and LOVE animals, probably more than people ... and even knowing our zoo director was going to help with some animal planning ... nope I wasn't having it.

Then I went, I saw the beauty of Joe Rohde's art and creativity with live animals. FELL IN LOVE ... with most of it. I still can't stand Route 66 Dinoland. And I'm still waiting for a good nighttime show, but it's all good because there is plenty more to do there at night now. My last few trips we doubled up on AK and skipped Epcot all together ~ we can eat, drink, dance and be merry better at AK than Epcot.

So here is my photo to celebrate the LOUNGE ..................... this is when I enjoy the ROL Theater the most. When I am resting and breathing deep, and the water is calm ... and empty.

Hope all the Loungers are well in 2020 and I shall toast one to you all! 🍹

See ⬇ I am an animal person.

ROL.jpg

Last edited:

Last edited:
I am a bit sad. I also feel bad for my daughter. We were there for a short trip over Thanksgiving and she wanted to see ROL but we were not able to fit it in. We were supposed to go over Spring Break this year and I figured we would see it then (had the Tiffins Dining Package booked and everything). Parks were closed so that did not happen. She has seen it before and she really liked this show. She is going to be disappointed when she finds out it is no longer an option.

:lovestruc Awww, I knew someone would bring up this post!
Thought the same when I found out ROL was leaving the park. Haven't been to the parks in four years and we were planning to go in August, but of course, we won't be doing that. Quite sad to see it have such a short run. :(

5 years ago right around this time of year, we started hearing about this brilliant new night time show in Animal Kingdom called "Rivers of Light." We followed every word, every video, every hint as to when it would open, only to be disappointed over and over.

We laughed and cried together as we waited, and even found clever ways to identify each other if we were in the parks at the same time.

It finally did open, and while some were still somewhat disappointed after all the hype, I found it moving and beautiful. The lights, dancers,music, story line, and those floating animals were so inspirational. Then, after what seemed to be only a short time, they started the process of altering this beautiful event into what became a shadow of the original, and finally decided to close it altogether.

How sad it is t that they have now not only pronounced the show permanently closed, it is almost gut wrenching to read that they are now gutting those beautiful floats....

I raise a glass in the Rumors Lounge with all of you, to salute what once was.

RIP ROL

Rivers of Light Animal Floats Gutted, Removed from Disney's Animal Kingdom (blogmickey.com)

I found it moving and beautiful. The lights, dancers,music, story line, and those floating animals were so inspirational. Then, after what seemed to be only a short time, they started the process of altering this beautiful event into what became a shadow of the original, and finally decided to close it altogether.

Agree. The original show was excellent. Maybe wouldn't have appealed to kids, squirming around on the hard wooden benches, but def a beautiful adult plus for the park. Sad its gone. Shame someone in admin didn't care enough to give it a chance to grow. Those floats were gorgeous. The live performers roaming around the stands were 'unique' but at least they tried and it was something new and different. Got the sense it was too artsy for tired parents with crying kids at the end of a long hot day.

5 years ago right around this time of year, we started hearing about this brilliant new night time show in Animal Kingdom called "Rivers of Light." We followed every word, every video, every hint as to when it would open, only to be disappointed over and over.

We laughed and cried together as we waited, and even found clever ways to identify each other if we were in the parks at the same time.

It finally did open, and while some were still somewhat disappointed after all the hype, I found it moving and beautiful. The lights, dancers,music, story line, and those floating animals were so inspirational. Then, after what seemed to be only a short time, they started the process of altering this beautiful event into what became a shadow of the original, and finally decided to close it altogether.

How sad it is t that they have now not only pronounced the show permanently closed, it is almost gut wrenching to read that they are now gutting those beautiful floats....

I raise a glass in the Rumors Lounge with all of you, to salute what once was.

RIP ROL

Rivers of Light Animal Floats Gutted, Removed from Disney's Animal Kingdom (blogmickey.com)

Maggie is probably distraught right now !!!

I do hope they come up with something else to go there. We didn't really enjoy the show but I blame the seating in the theatre. In the beginning they just squashed as many people as they could in and there was no way to sit comfortably. I hope they learn from their mistakes and we get something amazing in the next few years.

I do hope they come up with something else to go there. We didn't really enjoy the show but I blame the seating in the theatre. In the beginning they just squashed as many people as they could in and there was no way to sit comfortably. I hope they learn from their mistakes and we get something amazing in the next few years.

I agree. The seating was awful. It was hot and uncomfortable and way too crowded. I loved the illuminated barges/floats -- they were beautiful. The water video screens were a nice thought but difficult to see clearly. I didn't like the show in general and hoped they would make changes and improvements before our next trip. And it probably didn't help that the one and only time we saw the show from the theater, the woman in front of me was holding up her full-size iPad to record it. So many things I wanted to say to her....but I politely kept my mouth shut and just tried to look around it. It was definitely a once and done show for us.

I do hope they come up with something else to go there. We didn't really enjoy the show but I blame the seating in the theater. In the beginning they just squashed as many people as they could in and there was no way to sit comfortably. I hope they learn from their mistakes and we get something amazing in the next few years.
I think I saw it three times - only the first was the original version, and was absolutely beautiful. But as time went on, they cut more and more crucial elements - the last time I saw it, it just was a shadow of the original.

I agree it wasn't a nighttime show that we are used to at Disney, with exploding fireworks and blaring music, but I think for the location, and the theme they were trying for, originally it pretty much succeeded as a show set in the middle of a live animal habitat.

Seating - yeah, not so much.

Such a huge amount of space with so many possibilities - what a shame it sits empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter