Running costumes

Looking like California 50s at the start so I will be chilly. Maybe if I wear it over a long sleeve tech shirt and if needed ditch it during the race. Mind you I'm cold natured, I run in Georgia and wear long sleeves and a gloves anytime under 60.

I have a question for you all! I'm going to be Alana, one of Ariel's sisters! How accurate would you feel like the costume would be if I wore purple mermaid scale leggings instead of magenta? If you watch the movie, her tail goes from purple in one scene to magenta in another. Her shells always stay the same color; purple. According to Disney Wiki her tail was intended to be magenta with purple seashells, but also shows purple tail with purple seashells! Not sure which one to portray? Any ideas are welcome and Thank you!! If you decided to comment on my costume idea, please quote me so I see it! :D
The Disney Wiki has her icon as purple with purple! So you should be good. I think the mermaid scale leggings of any hue are going to get the message across.

Should I sew crab arms to my red running top for the Princess 5k (I'm going as Sebastian) or just wear all read and order crab gloves?

Should I sew crab arms to my red running top for the Princess 5k (I'm going as Sebastian) or just wear all read and order crab gloves?

Can I say both? ;)
Though I'm not sure how easy that would be to run in. Gloves is what I would pick, esp if it's a cold morning - it's also nice to have warm hands.

What about red running sleeves and crab gloves? That way if it is too hot for long sleeves you can adjust and just keep the gloves?

I've never tried arm sleeves, but I generally don't like things on my arms ... hmm.

I've never tried arm sleeves, but I generally don't like things on my arms ... hmm.
I had never done arm sleeves either except a couple times on training runs to test them. I wore some for the 10k of Dopey and they were fine since it was raining and not hot. Well, for the marathon I had them on, but within the first 2 miles I had to take them off and wrap them to my belt, I felt like I was suffocating with that humidity. I think if it was less humid and I wasn't ill I probably would have left them on. It's hard choice with how crazy FL weather can be. But crab gloves would be funny!

Well if it's really cold your arms might turn red anyway if you don't have sleeves. That always happens to me with anything I leave uncovered in the cold.

Do you guys think wearing an apron would be considered layering with the new rules? My costume idea has an apron with it.
Someone who attended marathon weekend and/or Star Wars in DL might have a better answer but I would think it wouldn't be a problem and if it is I would assume you could remove it when you arrive.

Do you guys think wearing an apron would be considered layering with the new rules? My costume idea has an apron with it.
I just wore an apron for the WDW marathon and it wasn't an issue. I was, however, prepared to remove it if need be. It was in two pieces where the top was basically just basted to my tank and the bottom was attached to my skirt with safety pins.

Here's my take on "costumes" after WDW Marathon Weekend ...

1. If you can run in it, you're good to go
2. If it doesn't drag on the ground, you're good to go
3. If it's not terrible oversized and sticking off your body, you're good to go (Example: The Mickey Ice Cream guy got to wear his get-up for the 5k, but rD told him not again)
4. If it covers your face, you're going to have to take it off (Example: Met a pair of brothers that were taking turns running as Peter Pan and his shadow all weekend - the shadow was not allowed to wear one of those full-body suits that covers his face, BUT he could wear black facepaint. They allowed the full-body suit for the 5k and not again after that)
5. If you are wearing a FULL cardboard box, you're going to have to take it off
6. RD seems to be a LITTLE more lenient on costumes for the 5K
7. Umbrellas and other props are totally fine

Here's my take on "costumes" after WDW Marathon Weekend ...

1. If you can run in it, you're good to go
2. If it doesn't drag on the ground, you're good to go
3. If it's not terrible oversized and sticking off your body, you're good to go (Example: The Mickey Ice Cream guy got to wear his get-up for the 5k, but rD told him not again)
4. If it covers your face, you're going to have to take it off (Example: Met a pair of brothers that were taking turns running as Peter Pan and his shadow all weekend - the shadow was not allowed to wear one of those full-body suits that covers his face, BUT he could wear black facepaint. They allowed the full-body suit for the 5k and not again after that)
5. If you are wearing a FULL cardboard box, you're going to have to take it off
6. RD seems to be a LITTLE more lenient on costumes for the 5K
7. Umbrellas and other props are totally fine

A lady I read about later said she couldn't carry her Mary Poppins umbrella because it was metal. Probably if it was plastic it would be ok since lightsabers are allowed.

A lady I read about later said she couldn't carry her Mary Poppins umbrella because it was metal. Probably if it was plastic it would be ok since lightsabers are allowed.

I saw a couple of Mary Poppins' with umbrellas ... and then the huge group of people that did the whole Finding Nemo bit (for the Half, I think?). The jellyfish all had huge umbrellas (I'm pretty sure they're in the runDisney Marathon Weekend video that's all over Facebook).

So, yeah - when in doubt, go with plastic to air on the side of caution!

Also, there was a gal on the Dopey group on Facebook who was told she couldn't run with her large US flag on a pole for the 10k - but later in the weekend others were allowed to run with flags as long as the flagpole was plastic (hers was either wood or metal). Never heard if she tried to run with again over the weekend.

Hey Gang, I know wigs are fine, BUT have you done a half marathon in a wig? I have a nice one and it's perfect for my character/costume, but I keep debating over this. It's got some weight to it but if I position it right it's comfortable. Have you done it? Would you do it again? Suggestions to get me through the long haul?

PS - I haven't taken it for a training run yet, but plan to do so. Even with that I want to be comfortable as possible.

TIA!

Hey Gang, I know wigs are fine, BUT have you done a half marathon in a wig? I have a nice one and it's perfect for my character/costume, but I keep debating over this. It's got some weight to it but if I position it right it's comfortable. Have you done it? Would you do it again? Suggestions to get me through the long haul?

PS - I haven't taken it for a training run yet, but plan to do so. Even with that I want to be comfortable as possible.

TIA!

I am not a costume runner. I agree to wear running clothes in colors that are consistent with a certain Disney theme, and have a couple skirts made by an etsy seller that feel exactly like regular running clothes. So I won't be very helpful!

Our boys, on the other hand, have run Disney 5Ks in various costumes. Lumiere, Beast and a ginormous Cogsworth costume, for example. Lumiere included a huge candle hat and Beast included a hood. I think Cogsworth had a clock top as a hat or something. That was fine, actually. It was a short run and the weather cooperated. For the 2015 Marathon Weekend 5K, our teen boys wore full length Elsa and Anna dresses AND wigs. I suggested no wigs, but they really wanted the wigs. That was messy. They are now pretty much done with full costumes for anything more than a 5K. They wore runDisney tech shirts for the half marathon last year. For the PHM 10K, they are doing Haunted Mansion t-shirts that make them look like butlers and running shorts. Our oldest son plans to wear a Sebastian crab hat and a red tech shirt for the PHM, and he may well end up carrying that hat. I think we can do a lot with regular running clothes and accent pieces, so that's our plan!

On the other hand, some people are fine with costumes - like the guy who passed me in a full banana costume during a local half marathon!

What about red running sleeves and crab gloves? That way if it is too hot for long sleeves you can adjust and just keep the gloves?

Arm sleeves worked great for me for the full at WDW. They kept my arms warm during the wait to start and early miles til I got warmed up. Then I just peeled them off and stuck them in a pocket for the remainder.

I use basketball shooter sleeves for this. They're dry-fit wicking material so they are very thin and don't get heavy with sweat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter