Scouting with the Dads

My quick Scouts bio--

As a kid did Webelos through Venture. Stopped doing ranks at Star, frankly I just wanted to backpack and not worry about Merit Badges. Did High Adventure at Lenhoksin Trails.

As a dad I have been an Asst Leader for my son as a Tiger and now again as a Webelos. OurPack is not the best in the world, just trying to get him through Webs and into Boy Scouts.

We have been loosing scouts and from what i have counted we have lost another 3 or 4 this year because of (from what they have told me) our cubmaster. So they wanted a new cubmaster and since I did a good job of running things while he recovered from his car accident they suggested I do that. Long story short I am now also the cubmaster. I don't know if it is just coincidence or if it is me taking over, but, Last year we had 7 new tigers. This year I am looking at having 14 and I keep getting phone calls. Mind you we are a booming town of 1300 people. We have added 2 to the wolves, 1 to the bears, 1 to the webelo I, and 2 to the webelo II. And that has been in the last week. I just took over as cubmaster two weeks ago. I have heard now that the old cubmaster isn't the cubmaster that a couple of the 4 that dropped may come back now. We will see.

You're doing an amazing job!

I was on tap to be Cubmaster of our old Pack, but got the boot from a few senior parents. At the time we lived in a heavy liberal area, which is fine we loved the people and the community, just kept quiet about politics. When word got out that I worked in the Bush Administration (which at the time I kept very quiet) the Pack leadership kindly told me they did not need me to take over, they did not agree with my politics (by the way many of the Bush policies that they did not like during their soapbox rant I actually agreed with them on!)

Really annoyed me. Politics has no place in Scouting or frankly any organization focused on helping our kids just become better, more well rounded people-- and this coming from a guy who actually does politics for a living!

Hey Chris, thanks for starting this thread. I wasn't aware of it until I saw a link to it on the primary DDC thread, but then, I haven't been on the boards much in the past few weeks anyway.

As many know from the prior DDC threads, I am very involved in Scouting.

Both of my sons are Scouts. My eldest is a LIFE Scout, and has now completed all of his required 21 MB's, and is working on his project planning. He'll be doing a project with our church. Once he finishes that, he'll be eligible for this Eagle Board! :cool1: He first joined Scouts as a Bear.

My younger son is a STAR, and is projecting to be able to attain LIFE by December. He first joined Scouts as a Tiger.

I only got to go through Bear as a kid. My dad didn't see the value of the program, and so he wouldn't let me re-register as a Webelo. I'm very sad about that, but have been having a ball enjoying being a Scouter. I LOVE making a difference in the life of these young men.

I am an Assistant Scoutmaster. I also hold the following roles:

TROOP
Summer Camp Director (annually we take 75-90 boys and about 30 adults to Ransburg Scout Reservation near Bloomington, IN)
ScoutParent Unit Coordinator
Adult Activities Coordinator
Mug Club Coordinator

OTHER
Asst Council Commissioner
Firecrafter Ember Associate Advisor (Firecrafter is a local program, similar but different from the OA - it is an honor camping fraternity found only in Indiana, parts of Illinois, and a wee bit of Texas). I can share more about the awesome Firecrafter program later - but I will say that back in the 40's when National was trying to decide what kind of a program to have as their national honor society, Firecrafter and the O.A. were both in consideration, and the local folks discouraged National from choosing Firecrafter, as they wanted to keep it special, and not let it lose its uniqueness. One of the primary differences between the O.A. and Firecrafter - is that entry into one program depends upon an election, and the other depends completely on personal achievement.

I am an Arrowmen within the O.A., will be eligible for Brotherhood next April.
I am a Firecrafter
I am a Wood Badger - Fox patrol

I was extremely honored in August to serve as Master of Ceremonies for the Eagle Court of Honor for one of our guys. And not only that, but he gave me an "Eagle Mentor" pin. I have personally mentored 4 of our Eagles, and am mentoring 2 of our potential Eagles.

I really enjoy the Troop, and the program. We don't have bullying issues within our Troop, and it sickens me to read about those Troops that do (and those guys who dropped out of the program because it happened to them, and subsequently don't want anything to do with the program).

I have applied for the 2013 National Jamboree at the Summit, but am waiting to hear if I am selected to go with our Council's contingent as one of the Asst. Scoutmasters. The Council picked the 6 SM's for our contingent just this past Friday, and the ASM's are supposed to be picked by the end of this week. BOTH of my boys were approved to go, so that's cool. This will be their one and only opportunity to go to a Jambo, as both will have aged out before the next one comes around in 2017 (the last time in 2010 my younger son was still in Cubs and not eligible, and my older son wasn't interested... HE SURE IS NOW though!). I'm HOPING that all 3 of us will be able to go.

Well I know where I will be directing some questions now.....

so what kind of events do you guys do throughout the year. I ask because all we do right now is Rain gutter regatta, Pinewood derby, and a one week summer camp. I need more ideas. Let me hear 'em.

so what kind of events do you guys do throughout the year. I ask because all we do right now is Rain gutter regatta, Pinewood derby, and a one week summer camp. I need more ideas. Let me hear 'em.

For our Pack, outside of the Pack and Den meetings, we try to have a least one fun inside and one fun outside activity per month. We go heavy in the fall to hook them, and then lighten up in the winter and spring. We don't expect everyone to attend everything.

For this September we had a hike last Sunday afternoon after our 1st Pack meeting on Thursday.

This coming weekend is a long weekend so we have nothing planned.

2nd weeked in October, a camp-out

3rd weekend in October, Friday night movie night in the school cafeteria (popcorn and way more candy than they should have). Then Sunday afternoon hike again.

4th weekend in October, sleepover at Air Museum

1st weekend in November, Scout day at Sturbridge Village

2nd weekend in November, fall clean-up of our sponsoring church

3th weekend in Novermber, Friday night movie night.

We'll do another movie night in December, and an indoor sleepover in January or February. We may or may not be in our District Chuck Wagon Derby, Klondike Derby or District Camporee. I hope so! Depends on volunteers...

Holy sweet mother of Beverly... You guys do a lot. :thumbsup2 Kudos.
I see we have a lot to work on. What kind of activities do you guys do during the den and pack meetings?

Holy sweet mother of Beverly... You guys do a lot. :thumbsup2 Kudos.
I see we have a lot to work on. What kind of activities do you guys do during the den and pack meetings?

Thanks! But it's taken us a few years to get to this level.

I'm Committee Chair right now, and my Cubmaster and I have a great working relationship. He handles all the program stuff for the Pack meetings, and I round up people to plan/help run these activities.

In the last few years, in order to make the experience more uniform, the BSA rolled out a program guide book for Den and Pack meetings. Your district should be able to provide you with a copy. Also, districts should have monthly "Roundtables" where they review potential themes, plans. It is really nice so you don't have to re-invent the wheel with each Pack/Den. Look at your district website and email or call the District Executive. They are a paid person whose job is help you.

Good luck!

Chris

Well that just goes to show how far i have to come with this troop. Last year our "committee" was the cubmaster and I....(crickets). Yep and there was even one meeting last year I was the only one to show up. The cubmaster forgot about it. They have people signed up for the committee member positions, but they told them they didn't have to do anything, they just needed their name to put in the position to remain a valid pack. :headache: I just found this out about 3 weeks ago. We have not been a quality unit for at least the past 4 years, I aim to change that. They just got everyone child protection trained, (and they half beverlied that). I was looking through the roster and noticed people who were not there are now trained on that date.? Lots of things to turn around that is for sure. The biggest hurdle is getting enough money to do things to get this stuff turned around and more events planned. It should be an interesting year.

Your boys have lots to look forward to when they get older and into a Troop. They will be able to do so much more than in the Cubs. We have a LOT of fun. But we are also a large, very well established Troop (83+ years since it was chartered).

We are most definitely a camping Troop, with at least one camping activity every month of the year. We don't stop Scouting during the non-school months, but rather only skip meetings between Christmas / New Year's and on Memorial and Labor Day (we meet on Monday evenings). Other than that, we meet every week, and the boys put together an awesome program of events throughout the year. We are chartered through a church, vs. a school, so that could make a difference between doing Scouting all year through vs. stopping during the non-school months. But during the traditional summer or non-school months, we take our meetings outdoors, and meet at a local park instead. Then we have lots of outdoor skills instruction or games that we couldn't do inside (frisbee golf, orienteering, Troop-wide "Olympics", plant & tree identification, swim party, etc).

We do various things like on Chris' list, but we do a whole bunch more as well. In the past year, other than our District and Council camporees (spring, fall and winter), here are a few highlights that I can recall right now include:

- weekend camping / trip to Kings Island
- weekend camping / shooting skills (rifles, shotguns, etc)
- weekend camping / skiing, open & instruction for those who want it
- weekend camping / 25 mile bike ride
- weekend camping / mountain biking
- weekend camping / Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
- weekend camping / caving in southern Indiana
- weekend camping / tobbagan fun
- weekend camping / Scout Skills Instruction for New Scouts
- weekend camping / backpacking
- weekend camping / Wright Patterson Air Museum
- weekend camping / Chicago Museum of Science & Industry

- Summer Camp

- Overnight Lock-In - video games, movies, etc

On the current year's calendar, a few upcoming events include:

- Bowling / Pizza Party / Overnight Lock-In
- weekend camping / backpacking
- weekend camping / shooting (rifles, shotguns)
- weekend camping / St. Louis Cardinals game

and other events that I can't recall right now.

Very cool. Sounds like a well oiled machine you have there. Our pack will be chartered for 50 years next July. (No one was aware of that either) We are chartered through our local American Legion so school shouldn't affect us too much other than (as far as i know) we haven't had a summer program for a while. I have heard this pack use to be close to 90 kids. Last year we were at about 22. So a major decline. We are up to 33 so far this year. I want to get us back up above 40 if we can. Then with that we would be able to afford to do more.

I asked our district rep if we would be able to accept donations from companies if they wanted and was told no. So that put a damper on some plans. They want us to do everything off of popcorn sales monies. Which again there isn't much enthusiasm for. So our fundraising efforts don't help at the moment. They seem to be a bit more excited so I hope we can get a better turn out for it.

Now you had mentioned you guys do rifle shooting. How do you get that approved. I was told the only time that kind of thing can be done is at the summer camp and then it is only bb guns and bow and arrows for the cubs. Just wondering.

Thank you for the ideas though. I am very grateful. I am taking notes..:thumbsup2

Ha ha missed that (even though you said troop several times in your post). That explains the shooting stuff. :rolleyes1

Yes, quite true. There is a big difference between Pack & Troop... but I was sharing so that you see what kinds of things your boys might expect when they age through the program and cross over into the Boy Scouts.

Rifles & shotguns are definitely for 13+ boys. My boys did lots of bb's and archery in the Cubs as well. But not just there - my eldest loves archery so much, he earned his Archery Merit Badge during his 2nd week long Summer Camp trip with the Troop. My younger one hasn't done it yet, but wants to. We have our own bows, and a quiver of arrows, and they love to practice in the back yard. They have bb rifles too, and so we've got a bb range, in the yard. It's fun. I love doing that stuff with them.

Speaking of BB's - our Council (Crossroads of Amerca) is actually piloted a program this past summer that very well may be rolling out nationwide next year or the year after. Our Webelos Adventure Camp did away with bb's this year, and actually introduced Air Rifles instead. Indiana and Texas piloted it this year. The results aren't in just yet, but the word around town is that it will be going nationally soon. Now whether that means there will be an option for the Cubs to choose from, or if the air guns will just replace the bb's, I don't know... but it is interesting. Earlier in the spring, I actually helped build a new range at our local camp. The fence requirements are much different than for bb's. I helped build a new 48' x 10' fence.

They have bb rifles too, and so we've got a bb range, in the yard. It's fun. I love doing that stuff with them.

Speaking of BB's - our Council (Crossroads of Amerca) is actually piloted a program this past summer that very well may be rolling out nationwide next year or the year after. Our Webelos Adventure Camp did away with bb's this year, and actually introduced Air Rifles instead. Indiana and Texas piloted it this year. The results aren't in just yet, but the word around town is that it will be going nationally soon. Now whether that means there will be an option for the Cubs to choose from, or if the air guns will just replace the bb's, I don't know... but it is interesting. Earlier in the spring, I actually helped build a new range at our local camp. The fence requirements are much different than for bb's. I helped build a new 48' x 10' fence.

I would love to let my boys shoot more often but we live in town so it isn't legal to shoot them or bows. Not to mention the school property meets up with our back yard. I need to look into finding somewhere to shoot around here. The only place i know we can go for sure is to my dads and that is an hour away. Something closer would be great. I grew up on a farm and we were always shooting bb guns and rifles. I miss it.

Now by air rifles. You have me a bit lost. Isn't a bb rifle an air rifle?:confused3

Ok so as I said I have a lot of questions. So here is another one.

I asked our district rep about accepting donations. He said we can't because of tax issues. He told me that even though we are part of a non-profit org. we are not the organization and therefor can not collect donations because of tax issues.

My question is, have any of you heard this or handled donations. Just curious.

Thanks ahead of time.

I asked our district rep about accepting donations. He said we can't because of tax issues. He told me that even though we are part of a non-profit org. we are not the organization and therefor can not collect donations because of tax issues.

Thanks ahead of time.

I think that your district rep is probably both right and wrong about this. He's wrong that you can't accept tax deductable donations from donors. So, if someone wanted to make a big donation to your Pack (like maybe 5 tents for camping) and them try to deduct that later, they couldn't do it.

However, people donate things to Packs all the time. Leaders donate our time. I routinely buy snacks and supplies for my den (and so do the other leaders). People give us a dollar or two at Show N' Sells. You can't tell people that they can't help you out and no one expects to have these small donations be tax deductable. Maybe that's what he means. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a monetary limit that I'm not aware of. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Christopher!

As an aside, the District will also tell you that you can't break up the Microwave Popcorn Boxes at Show N Sells, too. But do it anyway when you're standing out in front of Walmart asking for support. Way easier to get someone to shell out $1 for a bag, then $16 for an 18 pack.

I think that your district rep is probably both right and wrong about this. He's wrong that you can't accept tax deductable donations from donors. So, if someone wanted to make a big donation to your Pack (like maybe 5 tents for camping) and them try to deduct that later, they couldn't do it.

However, people donate things to Packs all the time. Leaders donate our time. I routinely buy snacks and supplies for my den (and so do the other leaders). People give us a dollar or two at Show N' Sells. You can't tell people that they can't help you out and no one expects to have these small donations be tax deductable. Maybe that's what he means. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a monetary limit that I'm not aware of. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Christopher!

Chris is absolutely correct. When our boys were at the Pack level, Walmart and other places donated to the Pack all the time - hotdogs or buns, or bug juice, or other "stuff". Anything that lots of organizations would just write off anyway for one reason or another. Now financial donations, yes, that is completely a different story - and the District Rep is absolutely correct. Chris hit the nail on the head. With more than 20,000 Packs and Troops around the United States alone - that would be a logisitical nightmare. The only kind of cash contributions (or anything with a large cash value that someone might want to get a deduction for) can ONLY go to the national Boy Scouts of America organization.

Now by air rifles. You have me a bit lost. Isn't a bb rifle an air rifle?:confused3

They are - but apparently they're not. There is a difference to them - but I can't tell you what it is. It was explained to us when we were getting ready to build the fence I spoke of - but that was back in April, and I've slept a little since then.

However, people donate things to Packs all the time. Leaders donate our time. I routinely buy snacks and supplies for my den (and so do the other leaders). People give us a dollar or two at Show N' Sells. You can't tell people that they can't help you out and no one expects to have these small donations be tax deductable. Maybe that's what he means. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a monetary limit that I'm not aware of.

I am not sure if there is a limit. He just told me that business's were making donations to packs and writing the donation off. Then when the companies would get audited they would get in trouble.

This came up because we would like to get a new pinewood derby track and I wondered if a local business (car dealership) could make a donation toward it. It was something i saw online somewhere saying that is how the pack paid for theirs. So that is how that came up.
Thanks for the response.

Thanks ahead of time.

Could you just sell the busines X amout of popcorn?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter