Scouting with the Dads

Went back for the next den mtg...much better this go 'round.

3 dads, 4 moms and much more organized.
I managed to become Asst. Den Leader, and will be planning a campout, several meeting activities for electives and a bicycle rodeo.

Thanks for the pointers... will be using y'all for help PRN.

Chris is absolutely correct. When our boys were at the Pack level, Walmart and other places donated to the Pack all the time - hotdogs or buns, or bug juice, or other "stuff". Anything that lots of organizations would just write off anyway for one reason or another. Now financial donations, yes, that is completely a different story - and the District Rep is absolutely correct. Chris hit the nail on the head. With more than 20,000 Packs and Troops around the United States alone - that would be a logisitical nightmare. The only kind of cash contributions (or anything with a large cash value that someone might want to get a deduction for) can ONLY go to the national Boy Scouts of America organization.

Strictly speaking, from a legal perspective, this isn't necessarily the case. There are many, many, many national 501(c)(3) organizations that allow local chapters to take donations (both in cash and in-kind) under the national organization's tax ID number. There's nothing inappropriate or illegal about doing so. However, BSA has apparently made a decision at a national level not to allow local Packs/Troops to operate under their tax ID number and to require significant donations to be funneled through the BSA nationally. I have my own opinions about why they do this, but I'll keep those to myself here.

There IS a perfectly legal and viable way around this little problem. A sI understand it, each Pack/Troop has a sponsoring organization. Sponsoring organizations themselves are usually 501(c)(3) organizations in their own right (churches, fraternal orders, etc.). If a large gift can't be accepted by the Pack/Troop itself, many times the gift can be made to the sponsoring organization, dedicated for use by the Pack/Troop.

The only downside to that loophole is that if, for some reason, a Troop/Pack changes sponsors, any donated property would probably legally belong to the sponsoring organization and not the Pack/Troop. My own experience is that such separations are pretty rare, but that might not be true everywhere.

Strictly speaking, from a legal perspective, this isn't necessarily the case. There are many, many, many national 501(c)(3) organizations that allow local chapters to take donations (both in cash and in-kind) under the national organization's tax ID number. There's nothing inappropriate or illegal about doing so. However, BSA has apparently made a decision at a national level not to allow local Packs/Troops to operate under their tax ID number and to require significant donations to be funneled through the BSA nationally. I have my own opinions about why they do this, but I'll keep those to myself here.

There IS a perfectly legal and viable way around this little problem. A sI understand it, each Pack/Troop has a sponsoring organization. Sponsoring organizations themselves are usually 501(c)(3) organizations in their own right (churches, fraternal orders, etc.). If a large gift can't be accepted by the Pack/Troop itself, many times the gift can be made to the sponsoring organization, dedicated for use by the Pack/Troop.

The only downside to that loophole is that if, for some reason, a Troop/Pack changes sponsors, any donated property would probably legally belong to the sponsoring organization and not the Pack/Troop. My own experience is that such separations are pretty rare, but that might not be true everywhere.

Thanks for that information. Will definitely keep that in my back pocket, and if the need becomes necessary for use, i will have it.:thumbsup2

6e063ca3.jpg

Our Den trip to the firestation yesterday. The kids loved it and the firefighters put on a show for us with the water cannon. That thing has quite a range!

Thanks Aaron for the extra info. You are correct - the BSA has made the determination that nothing goes to the individual Packs and Troops. And yes, you are absolutely correct about the ownership of goods if someone donates to the charter organizations - those belong to the CO. Separations are rare, but they do happen.

Successful rain gutter regatta this AM, won his first race... And had fun the rest of the time.

Then helped with clean up and made Christmas cards for soldiers.

80c5dfd8.jpg

Successful rain gutter regatta this AM, won his first race... And had fun the rest of the time.

Then helped with clean up and made Christmas cards for soldiers.

80c5dfd8.jpg

Good to see your son looks very happy.

Now just a question I have to compare to...
The kids that didn't get 1-3 place, what did they do for them if anything?

Good to see your son looks very happy.

Now just a question I have to compare to...
The kids that didn't get 1-3 place, what did they do for them if anything?

They had trophies for 1-3 place and best in show for each level (tiger, wolf, bear). Everyone who participated got a medal.

We won 1 race, lost 2... Double elimination.... So we weren't last!
Everyone seemed to have a good time.

At our pack meeting tonight, our scouts screen printed their own class B shirts. Each feather in the design has a unique word: Klondike, pinewood, Shootoree, Blue & Gold, service and camping.

screen1gt.jpg
screen2lc.jpg

At our pack meeting tonight, our scouts screen printed their own class B shirts. Each feather in the design has a unique word: Klondike, pinewood, Shootoree, Blue & Gold, service and camping.

Very creative! I wish we had more energetic & creative parents in our Pack/Troop!

Glad I found this thread. My oldest has been in Cub Scouts for two years now (currently a Wolf) and loves it. Because my old job kept me busy pretty much 24/7, I didn't get to do a lot with him last year. This past weekend, I went on my first campout with him and he absolutely loved every second of it. Last year, he went with my dad and enjoyed it, but I think having his dad with him this year made it even more special.

I'd love to get more involved in his pack, but I'm new to the area and don't know any of the dads. This weekend, I spent most of the weekend just watching him play and do his activities. I didn't talk to many of the parents, outside of general chit-chat. I guess I'll warm up to them as I attend more meetings, which I plan on doing once football season ends.

I got the camping fever this weekend and I'm hoping he and I can do a monthly camping trip together. I was in scouting when I was younger, but had to stop after my first year in Boy Scouts because our den dwindled down to two boys and the nearest den to us was 30 miles away (ugh). I'm hoping he can stay interested in it, because I think it's teaching him a lot.

I look forward to learning some tips that I can maybe bring to our den and pack meetings.

Glad I found this thread. My oldest has been in Cub Scouts for two years now (currently a Wolf) and loves it. Because my old job kept me busy pretty much 24/7, I didn't get to do a lot with him last year. This past weekend, I went on my first campout with him and he absolutely loved every second of it. Last year, he went with my dad and enjoyed it, but I think having his dad with him this year made it even more special.

I'd love to get more involved in his pack, but I'm new to the area and don't know any of the dads. This weekend, I spent most of the weekend just watching him play and do his activities. I didn't talk to many of the parents, outside of general chit-chat. I guess I'll warm up to them as I attend more meetings, which I plan on doing once football season ends.

I got the camping fever this weekend and I'm hoping he and I can do a monthly camping trip together. I was in scouting when I was younger, but had to stop after my first year in Boy Scouts because our den dwindled down to two boys and the nearest den to us was 30 miles away (ugh). I'm hoping he can stay interested in it, because I think it's teaching him a lot.

I look forward to learning some tips that I can maybe bring to our den and pack meetings.

Excellent! Scouting is an excellent way to spend time with your boys!

Approach your cubmaster & tell him you'd like to be involved. Most packs are dying for help! Your local district will also have some good training programs that should give you good ideas (we just had our fall Pow Wow)

Good luck!

Excellent! Scouting is an excellent way to spend time with your boys!

Yes, yes it is!

I'm so proud of my eldest right now (moreso than usual)... as you might recall, my boys are in the Boy Scouts (haven't been in Cubs for more than 2 years now) - and we're part of a very large Troop - 137 registered Scouts, 98 registered Adult Leaders. We had our biannual Troop election Monday night for the Troop leadership (we are a Boy-Led troop as Scouting was intended), and Harrison was elected Senior Patrol Leader. So for the next 6 months, he's the big cheese. Pretty cool. He tried for the position 6 months ago and lost, but this time, he won. That was pretty cool. I led and closed out the standing O he got when his named was announced by the Scoutmaster. There were 8 candidates, and he won. There's lots of happy in our household this week because of that huge confidence boost for him.

I have some pics of our fall camporee just need to post them,also just did our food drive for the red cross. will get them up and share ,maybe this weekend

I'm very exicted to see this group started. Has anyone ever taken cub scouts or even boy scouts to Disney? I know staying on property even camping would be expensive but maybe a local camp ground or even a FL scout camp?

A little about me:
An orginal Tigar Cub -Webelos-Eagle Scout-High Adventure Post
Vigal Honor Member
3 year Den Leader of 11 Bears at this time.

So, when we kicked off our popcorn sales earlier this year, I told my den that if they hit a certain goal, I would provide an unspecified treat for the entire den. It was a sucker's bet - I expected to lose, and I wanted to lose.

And yep, I lost. (I knew I should have set the goal higher - they crushed it with ease.)

So, at Wednesday's meeting, I unveiled the surprise - I gave each boy a model rocket, and we spent the meeting building them (and painting some Christmas ornaments). Today, we met again to take their rockets out and launch them. Judging from the response, it sounds like I have inadvertently started an unofficial model rocket club. And that's a good thing.

After reading many of the posts on this thread I feel like I have the same experience as many of you. I have been a little disappointed in how my son's troop has been progressing. As a former scout I want the same experience for my own kids, so I am taking over his Tiger Cub Den. How often do some of you meet with your den's? Right now they have been meeting once a month for a den meeting and once a month as a whole troop. Do any of you have more than one den meeting a month?

I always met twice a month as a den and once with the pack.(plus committee meetings) For the tigers there isn't a lot of in depth stuff to work on so games and extra activities will be needed to keep their interest.

Now on another note. I finally got one of the parents in my Tiger den of 13 to step up and take over for me so I can put more focus on the Pack as a whole. I can't believe how many parents just show up because they "have" to. I have been asking for a volunteer for several months now and just now got one. It is just unreal. (mini rant over:laughing:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter