September '20 WISH Challenge - New Beginnings

Hello everyone, I'm back :wave2:

Sorry for dropping off the map last month - I was feeling a little burnout and just found that after using computer so much more for work during the day I really drifted away from my usual leisure amount online and have just been enjoying watching tv for some downtime. I think also maybe I fell off the wagon a little with eating - had some spikes of dizziness which get me down a bit :( But I am hanging in there.

Some new friends have joined or rejoined us I see... I am Sam, I join in from the Sunshine Coast region of Queensland, Australia. I work full time as a school based occupational therapist. I have 3 teens DS19 university student (primary teaching), DS16 (year 11 student) DD16 (year 11 student). Yes I also have twins. I'm a solo mum so it is usually pretty busy around here with teen part-time jobs in the mix as well. I am also really struggling with getting driving hours up for the twins! Here they have to have 100 driving hours before they can do their drivers test for their licence. There just aren't enough hours in the day or days in the week! It is spring here and warming up again - on my walks this week I have noticed I am working up more of a sweat as its gets hotter much earlier.

My goals this month:
  • Consistent food choices that manage my blood glucose levels
  • Walking at least once per day - 5-6 days a week
  • Strength exercises every second day
Welcome Back!!!

Thank you! I’m so sorry about the loss of the twin. My youngest brother actually had a vanishing twin. The only reason we found out was due to an early ultrasound as my mom’s previous pregnancy she’d had GD.
I also had a traumatic birth (emergency c-section) due to bubs being in distress and not moving. It resulted in a lack of oxygen which caused brain bleeds, seizure like activity, and ultimately a 12 day NICU stay. He’s got some developmental delays but we are actually getting connected with an early intervention program to help him. So it’s been a rocky entrance to motherhood but he’s just the sweetest little thing so I have no complaints!
You're a good mother. Programs like Birth to 3 can make all of the difference in the world. I have 20 years teaching PreK4, and my littles that had Birth to 3 catch up quickly. Those who never got services until they got to me, and I identified them eventually do better, but early intervention is EVERYTHING.

Free for all Friday:

I'm trying to figure out how to tell my paraprofessional that I'm moving to Kindergarten in a few weeks, and she can't come with me. I'm so ready for the change, but I know that she counts on me. When I was considering FMLA, she was freaking out. Another concern is that she might call in sick until October just to stick it to me. She's rather spiteful, and I wouldn't put her past it. I would hold off on telling her, but once my job is posted online, she or one of her friends will see it. I need to tell her myself, face to face. I plan on doing it next week. Hopefully her reaction isn't over the top.

Free for all Friday:

I'm trying to figure out how to tell my paraprofessional that I'm moving to Kindergarten in a few weeks, and she can't come with me. I'm so ready for the change, but I know that she counts on me. When I was considering FMLA, she was freaking out. Another concern is that she might call in sick until October just to stick it to me. She's rather spiteful, and I wouldn't put her past it. I would hold off on telling her, but once my job is posted online, she or one of her friends will see it. I need to tell her myself, face to face. I plan on doing it next week. Hopefully her reaction isn't over the top.

Good luck with that conversation, I'm sure it will be hard.

@Summer2018 Welcome to Kindergarten!!! I love it (I mean, this year is challenging, but kindergarteners make it all worth it 😊)

@4Mickeys when my two had their driving permits and needed 100 hours before they could take the test, I kept a little sticky note and pencil in the car. When we got in I'd jot down the start time and when we reached our destination I'd jot down the end time. There were lots and lots and lots of 5ish minute trips, but they do add up! They were actually quite fed up with me at the time because "all our friends's parents just signed the paper saying they'd driven 100 hours
Im also working on driving hours with my twins. There is an app called Road Ready that I use to track their hours. I just have to remember to switch to the right twin that’s driving ;)

I also had a traumatic birth (emergency c-section) due to bubs being in distress and not moving. It resulted in a lack of oxygen which caused brain bleeds, seizure like activity, and ultimately a 12 day NICU stay. He’s got some developmental delays but we are actually getting connected with an early intervention program to help him. So it’s been a rocky entrance to motherhood but he’s just the sweetest little thing so I have no complaints!
I also ended up having an emergency c-section because I had pre-eclampsia. I was fortunate that all went well and kids were ok mostly due to the fact that it was at 35 weeks. But I will say that both my kids needed some early intervention services and they were WONDERFUL! My daughter had physical therapy due to low muscle tone and my son ended up in speech therapy. I always encourage parents to take advantage of these wonderful services that are offered. The sooner the better! Nice work, momma, for being on top of that for your son! 😊❤️

Free for all Friday:

Well, that’s stressful! Hope the conversation goes well.

The whole weekend forecast is looking beautiful-we will have my daughter’s family over Sunday for a cookout but nothing else planned.
I’m not surprised you’re having delays with your treadmill-it took forever to get appliances for our place at the beach. Lowe’s kept pushing delivery out by weeks. I can live without a dishwasher but not a stove or washing machine!

Well, that’s stressful! Hope the conversation goes well.
Well my school is filled with gossips. Only 3 people knew and were sworn to silence. Basically the entire school knows now. I spoke to my principal and she wants to involve my para in the interview process for my PreK position to make her feel included and validated. I asked if it were possible to bring her to kindergarten without risking her position next year (K paras are temporary for the pandemic). She may be able to come along for this year. Even though I am not nuts about it, she would only be half-day with me and once we go 100% virtual, she won't be involved at all. If she can come with me, it will soften the blow. Even though I wanted to tell her on Tuesday face to face, the way this news is spreading like wildfire, I couldn't wait. I called her after school. She was upset at first, but she liked the options I gave her. I think it will be okay with her now.

Thank God.

Well my school is filled with gossips. Only 3 people knew and were sworn to silence. Basically the entire school knows now. I spoke to my principal and she wants to involve my para in the interview process for my PreK position to make her feel included and validated. I asked if it were possible to bring her to kindergarten without risking her position next year (K paras are temporary for the pandemic). She may be able to come along for this year. Even though I am not nuts about it, she would only be half-day with me and once we go 100% virtual, she won't be involved at all. If she can come with me, it will soften the blow. Even though I wanted to tell her on Tuesday face to face, the way this news is spreading like wildfire, I couldn't wait. I called her after school. She was upset at first, but she liked the options I gave her. I think it will be okay with her now.

Thank God.

So glad it went as good as could be expected. Also, now you don't have to worry about it over the weekend. If it was me, it would be in the back of my mind all weekend.

I'm going to spend the whole weekend wondering what my school district told our crossing guards! I got an email fifteen minutes before I was off the clock and since I was super busy I ignored it. Yes, I could look at it from home, but I don't want to! I've had three crossing guards contact me this evening about a robo dialer they received! I told them all they would have to wait until Tuesday!! Actually I'm very good at comparmentalizing so the whole crossing guard thing will be out of my mind as soon as I finish typing!!

Waiting to hear what time our social distanced with masks outdoor BBQ is Monday. I think I'll make rice crispy treats for dessert. Easy, everyone likes them and no chocolate!

Good morning, and Happy Social Saturday, Everyone!

Let's play “The View Out My Window” - simply take a (non-identifying) picture out your window, so we can see what it’s like in your part of the world.

Here’s mine, which was actually taken a few feet to the right of my back slider, as I’m already out with the cat -

In a few weeks, those trees will be a gorgeous mess of color! They are on a hill at the back of the yard, so we get to see a lot at once.

PS - If you don’t feel tech-y enough to link photos, you are welcome to just describe your view!

2DFBE370-FE55-426A-B6BB-0AE94144873F.jpeg

Here is the deck where I spend every morning I can eating breakfast and catching up with emails and the Dis. We planted the tree that shades most of the yard years ago-it was a scraggly little thing we bought on clearance at Kmart. The leaves turn a lovely shade of red every fall.

Here's the view out the living room window to the front porch, where I spent the quarantine, a lovey city neighborhood view:

Things are starting to die back, but I am hopeful that orange million bells stays for a while longer, it's been going all summer and I really love it.

I have sad news to report. After two days of supportive care Whitehall did not rally. The meds helped her be more comfortable, but she refused to eat. I had to let her go yesterday. I'm absolutely gutted, this came on so quickly, but in hindsight I can see that she's had it most of her life, since around two I think, and it explains a lot of her quirky eating habits and refusal to use the litter box, which started around that time. I look around the house and tear up seeing her with Mike in all their favorite places. I'll never be able to make the bed again without grieving for her, as "helping" by playing in the sheets was one of her favorite things. It was hard to sit down at my desk to get on the computer because she was always here with me, I've got so many pictures with her chin draped over the edge of the keyboard.

Plans for today are to continue straightening and organizing and trying to make things right. I am actually going to paint in the living room this morning, then I'll do the driving loop in the country. The afternoon will be chill, it has actually been very warm here mid-day/evenings (fans are still in the windows), so I may work on going thru stuff in the basement. I'm a firm believer of having cats in pairs particularly with kittens, they need the stimulation and companionship, so I'm going to contact the OC rescue and make an appointment to go back down next Saturday to find another kitten and will take another car load of donation stuff. This time my Sister will be in town, so I'll have a socially distant porch lunch with her before I meet kittens.

Tomorrow I'm driving over to PT, the ferry and drive will be soothing and having a face to face human visit with my Niece will be helpful... that's one of the things that got me thru this week, as I had a hair appointment and an acupuncture appointment which both involved real human conversations.

Here's the view out the living room window to the front porch, where I spent the quarantine, a lovey city neighborhood view:

View attachment 523963

Things are starting to die back, but I am hopeful that orange million bells stays for a while longer, it's been going all summer and I really love it.

I have sad news to report. After two days of supportive care Whitehall did not rally. The meds helped her be more comfortable, but she refused to eat. I had to let her go yesterday. I'm absolutely gutted, this came on so quickly, but in hindsight I can see that she's had it most of her life, since around two I think, and it explains a lot of her quirky eating habits and refusal to use the litter box, which started around that time. I look around the house and tear up seeing her with Mike in all their favorite places. I'll never be able to make the bed again without grieving for her, as "helping" by playing in the sheets was one of her favorite things. It was hard to sit down at my desk to get on the computer because she was always here with me, I've got so many pictures with her chin draped over the edge of the keyboard.

Plans for today are to continue straightening and organizing and trying to make things right. I am actually going to paint in the living room this morning, then I'll do the driving loop in the country. The afternoon will be chill, it has actually been very warm here mid-day/evenings (fans are still in the windows), so I may work on going thru stuff in the basement. I'm a firm believer of having cats in pairs particularly with kittens, they need the stimulation and companionship, so I'm going to contact the OC rescue and make an appointment to go back down next Saturday to find another kitten and will take another car load of donation stuff. This time my Sister will be in town, so I'll have a socially distant porch lunch with her before I meet kittens.

Tomorrow I'm driving over to PT, the ferry and drive will be soothing and having a face to face human visit with my Niece will be helpful... that's one of the things that got me thru this week, as I had a hair appointment and an acupuncture appointment which both involved real human conversations.
I’m so sorry! :hug:
Glad you had some human interactions to help you get through.

View attachment 523963

I’m so sorry! It must have come as a terrible shock. Hope you find another kitten this weekend-and visiting your sister sounds like a great plan.
And your potted plants are beautiful!

My deck and backyard.
I spent a lot of breaks out here lounging and reading during the spring virtual learning. It was my little getaway from reality. In the summer, it can get quite hot out here. But the cooler nights are nice for relaxing with a nice beverage ;) And the trees get all colorful in the fall. They are also beautiful when covered with snow.

Oh @Oneanne, I'm so sorry to hear about Whitehall. :hug:

My cats do the same thing with the sheets, so I can totally picture that. And while I would normally wait before getting another, I think you're right about raising the new kitten with a companion right off the bat. I hope you find the perfect match and enjoy the time with your sister.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter