September 2017 Car Rental Watch

Like many others, I've had to move my arrival from this Monday to Tuesday until 9/18. I ended up back at Alamo for $139. Not an amazing deal, but still pretty good all things considered. Could still cancel the whole thing, obviously. My thoughts and prayers are with all in Irma's path.

What did you use for that price? I'm arriving the 19th and don't see anything close at Alamo

I'm returning on a Saturday, looks like that's why I can't use the coupon code.

I assume it's not something I should consider, but what happens if I schedule a return on Sunday morning but bring the car back on Saturday evening?

So all my constant rebooking is wasted. We were scheduled to come in Saturday, but decided to delay arrival until Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I can still get the same discount if I want. My fear is that the roads might not be passable in all areas. As much as I dislike taking the buses, and love having a car, I think we might be better off not driving this trip.

I am set up for ME, but have not yet cancelled the car reservation. Just realized I have to at least update my dates now, otherwise my rate will be lost!

Annoyed, just tried to rebook, 4 less days, $25 more. I understand the rates are higher since it's so close, but I don't think I'll be getting a car at that rate. More $$ for souvenirs!

Last edited:

So all my constant rebooking is wasted. We were scheduled to come in Saturday, but decided to delay arrival until Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I can still get the same discount if I want. My fear is that the roads might not be passable in all areas. As much as I dislike taking the buses, and love having a car, I think we might be better off not driving this trip.

I am set up for ME, but have not yet cancelled the car reservation. Just realized I have to at least update my dates now, otherwise my rate will be lost!

Annoyed, just tried to rebook, 4 less days, $25 more. I understand the rates are higher since it's so close, but I don't think I'll be getting a car at that rate. More $$ for souvenirs!

Do you need the car? I am concerned about roads, gas, ect. I would skip it honestly and take the buses. If I make it down there I need a car as this is not a Disney trip, but a gulf beach trip that is looking more and more like it's not going to happen.

If you have a car and need gas I found a map of FL that show gas stations that can pump without power, assuming they have gas.
I'm returning on a Saturday, looks like that's why I can't use the coupon code.

I assume it's not something I should consider, but what happens if I schedule a return on Sunday morning but bring the car back on Saturday evening?
Yeah, usually coupons require a Sat night. I don't know what would happen if you returned it a day early.

Laurabelle, I totally agree with you. I don't NEED a car, I just really like having one when I am at Disney. We have taken the buses on some trips, but I so prefer having a car. But, I figure that the Disney buses will know where all the problems are on the roadways so we won't have to deal with it. I just hope it's not crazy busy end of the week, since it seems a lot of people have delayed their trips!

I did it recently without a car after having rented one for years. The car rental price was not nearly as low as what I have booked right now. The buses weren't too bad. Pack your patience.

AND, on top of everything, there is a lot of road construction going on there right now. I was glad I let Disney do the driving.

We are scheduled to arrive on the 19th and are staying off site this time (large extended family) so we do NEED rental cars. I rechecked prices today and their has been a significant increase over our current reservation prices. (Supply and demand)
However, if the area has major destruction or lacks the resources to care for the local residents we will obviously cancel and/or reschedule. If there are still has shortages I wouldn't use it for my vacation when someone else may need the resource.

Thanks! I'm glad I got in on the lower rates. I did a bit of googling and MCO has Hertz Ultimate Choice, you choose your vehicle. I did read that the first rental is counter so they verify your CC and license. Now I'm trying to find out if we can do this in the garage...
I don't know if you still need the info, but I just did my first Hertz rental. I was able to do it at the counter in the garage. They have a huge board with the names of all people renting, and it tells you if you need to go to the counter in the garage office, or if you go to the garage etc. It took about a minute to get started in the office, and I out my way to an aisle. I had rented intermediate but was told I could take a car from the Gold aisle. I took a brand new Kia Soul, I was alone and it was adorable. It had 200 miles on. Also my rental rate was $103.xx but my actual rental total was $95.xx. I have no idea but wasn't going to complain. I would absolutely use Hertz again.
And a silly thing, but while we were waiting in line to exit the garage someone walked down the line and gave us free ice cold bottled water.

Forgot about the road construction...that seems to have been going on for years!
It was bad one night leaving the fireworks at DS. We got to the bus right away, but traffic was a mess with other parks closing at the same time.
I don't know if you still need the info, but I just did my first Hertz rental. I was able to do it at the counter in the garage. They have a huge board with the names of all people renting, and it tells you if you need to go to the counter in the garage office, or if you go to the garage etc. It took about a minute to get started in the office, and I out my way to an aisle. I had rented intermediate but was told I could take a car from the Gold aisle. I took a brand new Kia Soul, I was alone and it was adorable. It had 200 miles on. Also my rental rate was $103.xx but my actual rental total was $95.xx. I have no idea but wasn't going to complain. I would absolutely use Hertz again.
And a silly thing, but while we were waiting in line to exit the garage someone walked down the line and gave us free ice cold bottled water.
Thanks! Nice to get the extra discount too. I've rescheduled for 9/20-27. Right now Alamo is a teeny bit less. If I do rent from Hertz I had planned to go the the garage counter. Glad to see confirmation of that. The cold bottled water is a nice touch!

I just re-booked my car rental - moved our trip this weekend to next weekend.

I modified the existing Alamo reservation using the link in my confirmation email. In doing so, I maintained my great rate (actually a few dollars less) and the only car class that was heavily discounted was standard. That was fine with me since I had originally booked a full-size and later learned through these boards that in MCO booking a standard actually gets you a full-size.

Going directly to Alamo and trying to book a brand new reservation using the exact same codes I used originally was giving me rental rates that were about $70 more than going through the modify link in my email.

So, if you are in the situation of having to move your 'Irma' trip - try modifying vs. booking new.

No other rental agencies were coming even close to the rate I received through the modification.

Just got a full size for 5 days from Priceline. $125 after taxes, Hertz was the company.

That's a good deal cheaper than anything I've found since I don't have a Saturday overnight

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter