Seriously thinking of Skipping Hollywood Studios this trip!!!

Yup. And it was right after the opening day weekend of Pandora (although we were there several days after the holiday weekend ended, but I think there was a spillover effect.)
The logic has always been earlier in June is better, because not all schools were out, but it wasn't true this year, and if they keep the blackout dates, that may continue. I didn't even think about the spillover from people coming to catch Pandora. I'm sure you're right about that too.
I guess we lucked out this year. We usually go early June, but moved the trip to mid-June when we decided to get APs, so we could get an early June 2018 trip in before they expire. So this trip was good... next year who knows how things will be with Toy Story Land opening.

Reactions: shh
We always try to get to HS now because RRC is a huge favorite for both DH and DS, but we skipped it a couple times when DS was little. An in your situation, I would probably skip it this time. In my opinion, there's still lots to do, just not things your group especially wants to do, so it makes sense to leave it out in favor of other parks. WDW is so huge, with so many attractions and activities to choose from, that I'm guessing everyone leaves out way more than they include.

So we leave for Disney in Oct, and I was just notified of yet another closure for Hollywood Studios. This seems like such a waste of a park ticket now with all the closures going on while they transition the park.

Looks like we will have 2 attractions open (Toy Story Mania and Star Tours. I cant count TOT or RockNRoller Coaster cause theyre too scary for us) and then the rest is all Meet and Greets and shows (Beauty and the Beast and Frozen sing a long, as we have already seen Fantasmic, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and The Indiana Jones Stunt show)

Bummer. We dont have Park Hopper tickets this trip so am I wrong for wanting to skip this park completely and just going to Epcot instead??? What are your thoughts???o_O

Thanks for bringing the closures at Hollywood Studios to my attention. We love the Great Movie Ride and will miss it a lot. We've seen the shows countless times, and not being thrill riders, don't see the point in spending even half of a day at DHS like we normally do. Really the only draw is Toy Story Mania which after all these years still is overcrowded. Instead, I think we will go to Animal Kingdom which we skipped on our last trip. There are so many positive changes there to explore.

Okay, so complete newbies here. Our first trip in December. We do have one day planned for HS. If we don't know what's closed, will we miss it?
We already have dining package reservations for Fantasmic/Hollywood & Vine...actually, have lunch and dinner reservations until we decide which one to do.
Star Wars, not a necessity, but there's still time to convert my 13 yr old daughter....Should we plan on full day? Or afternoon/evening only and hop from something else?
If we've never done any of it, should we just do every single thing we can at HS and will that take the whole day?

Okay, so complete newbies here. Our first trip in December. We do have one day planned for HS. If we don't know what's closed, will we miss it?
We already have dining package reservations for Fantasmic/Hollywood & Vine...actually, have lunch and dinner reservations until we decide which one to do.
Star Wars, not a necessity, but there's still time to convert my 13 yr old daughter....Should we plan on full day? Or afternoon/evening only and hop from something else?
If we've never done any of it, should we just do every single thing we can at HS and will that take the whole day?

DHS is my DD14's favorite park. Since this is your first Disney visit, I would spend the day. You'll have tons to see even with the closures.

We love DHS, but are also skipping it next month. DS8 loves Star Wars and toy story mania but other than that not interested in ToT and for some reason this year he doesn't want to do RnR or any coaster that goes upside down. Funny as two years ago it was his fav. I think someone scared him. Anyway if we had park hoppers we would go, but since this year we don't, we are doing 2 days at each of the other parks. It works out because we have FP+ for both pandora rides.
Next year we will not skip HS :)

In your situation I would skip it.
I'd planned on skipping it on my solo trip in September but now my husband is tagging along for part of it and he wants Star Wars stuff so now I have to go for part of a day at least. I have a feeling that will be happening more and more as our youngest goes off to college before I know it so I need to get used to it but I really, really didn't want to go to DHS this trip.

I'm already starting to miss my solo trips!

We'd never skip it, but we always have hoppers. Plus Tower of Terror is my all time fave ride. Also love Toy Story & Star Tours ride and fireworks. And the carrot cake cookie. But like others said in your situation might be a good idea.

I only go every three to four years and always with hoppers. In your position, I would skip it. I only do half days there now.

I have PH and still will be skipping DHS, Not a big Star Wars fan, don't go for the thrill rides, so our time is best spent at the other parks.

lol -- I'm thinking of this being my only Disney park on a mini three day trip, mostly to visit relatives mostly because we can do everything we want between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and then have dinner and hang with family on our last night. Also it's been seven years or so since we've bothered with the park and we're kind of burned out -- been there / done that with the others. We will do a SeaWorld day (the only park my dad likes and that my Orlando relatives have a season pass too and a resort day too.

We though love Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. We aren't Star Wars fans though and will skip anything related to that -- just doesn't feel Disney enough for us. Also, we'll skip the Beauty and the Beast show as even though it is good we've just seen that way too many times. We'll skip the Muppets too. So it looks like it will be a perfect six and a 1/2 hour outing - just what I am looking for.

My Plan A is to do MK instead if I can get Keys to the Kingdom or Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour, but all of these are booked up for all the days we are in Orlando.

Last edited:
So when people say DHS is a half day park, I am like "how??"

For us, we've already done all the meet & greets there over our last two trips. We did those for my daughter, so its a one and done for us. We did Fantasmic, and didn't really care for it So on our next trip, this is what we've got:

- Star Tours
- Frozen Sing Along
- Indiana Jones
- Muppet Vision 3D
- TSMM
- One Man's Dream
- Beauty and the Beast show

We don't do RnRC or ToT because my wife and I have back and/or neck issues and our days of riding rides like that are over. That's 7 rides and shows and doesn't really fill up a full day.

If you have never been to DHS you can make a full day out of it if you want to do everything and it will still take some planning because of the show times.
Without including an of the SW offerings at DHS (that will add about 1 hour and a half to 2 hours of shows, meet and greets and Launch Bay exploring)
Shows: Beauty and the Beast, Frozen Sing Along, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic, jingle Bell Jungle Bam, Disney Movie Magic, Disney Jr (depending on age) those would have to be positioned so they don't overlap each other and don't interfere with fps
Attractions: Star Tours, Muppetvision 3D, Toy Story Midway Mania, One Man's Dream, Rock n Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror
Meet and Greets: Olaf, Mickey and Minnie, Chip, Dale, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Buzz and Woody, Jake, Princess Sofia, Doc McStuffins, Pluto

Last edited:
We are skipping it this trip (November) and planning to do it during WDW 50th anniversary year.

Kind of glad we had to buy park hoppers this year for the free dining, we're only doing a half day at HS this trip, Normally we'd do 1 or 2 full days there but I'm sure once toystory land opens we'll be spending more time there, right now there isn't much point.

I do not ride ToT or RnR, and I still spend a day there. I do have park hoppers always though. I love the atmosphere, the shows ( Frozen is the BEST!)and two of my Top 10 Favorite rides are there: Star Tours and Toy Story Midway Mania! Plus, I can't miss out on the Carrot Cake cookie.

With the likelihood of Star Tours going away as Disney transitions to Galaxy's Edge, we won't dare skip Hollywood Studios on our 2018 trip!!!

The only reason we are going to HS during our February trip is because my 4yo wants to see Disney Jr Live. Since we're there, we may do Star Tours with a FP. But it'll be a quick morning trip. If we didn't have park hoppers, we would skip it. I can't see that park justifying using a base ticket. If I did decide to use a base ticket on HS, I'd probably use the evening to check out Disney Springs and the boardwalk.

We are more a ride family than shows or parades or fireworks. So HS has always been a fairly short day for us. If We weren't going to have hoppers this time we would skip it altogether. As it is we will go in the morning and do RnR, TOT, TSM and star tours and then take off and go somewhere else for the rest of the day. They get us in the gate because of RnR- but without that we wouldn't bother anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter