Single Dad in love with a mouse!

Love That Mouse

Mouseketeer
Okay, so I've been a recently seperated/divorced father of one who still loves going to Disney World. I've taken my 6 year old son for two trips over the past year and we have had an absolute blast! Honestly, it is my favorite place in the whole world and sharing memories with my son is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Well, as luck would have it, I have a chance to return to my magical place and I am thinking about doing this trip on my own (I won a sales contest with my company through alot of hard work). You know, just a chance to relax and have some "me" time. The question is, should I do it solo or take my 6 year old.

I would like to experience PI and great restaurants, things I can't do with a 6 year old. But, is it "strange" that a single guy would want to go to Disney World by himself for a little R&R. So my fellow DIS members, I leave it to you. . . .Can relaxation and fun be had for a single dad?

Or do I relent and make more memories with my son? Not that there really is a "bad" choice given my options. :earsboy:

He is six... it's magical at that age... I say take him!

I'm going solo with my five year old in May.... I am really looking forward to it and also planning some mommy only nights (2) when she can do the daycare.

I am one for go solo... Take some me time... and then go back on your dime and take him!! Seeing as this is a trip you won from work, with there be other sales folk also going to Disney at the same time?? If so.. then definitely go alone... you can hang with the adults when you want to... and strut on your own when you are ready! It's a blast.. have fun.. and you can take notes as to what you would do with your son when you go back !

I would take him. Seeing the Magic through a child's eyes is the best :flower:

Welcome to the DIS, Love That Mouse! :wave:

I say take the solo trip this time. If you've already taken your son twice in the past year, leave him home this time, and have some adult fun! Go to PI. Eat a Mickey bar for lunch. Go to my favorite spot on Disney property for adult fun--Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk.

Just be warned, you will have those "I wish my son was here" moments. I go solo quite a bit now, and I always think of my nieces and nephews all the time during the trip.

You'll still have a blast!

Karen

I'm a single mom who scrimped and saved for 3 years to take my kids on the "trip of a lifetime," just to discover the DIS and realize that I can afford to bring them more often. We've taken 3 family trips to WDW in the past 3 years, and I am currently planning my second solo trip. I did feel quite guilty at times during my first solo - for that reason, I avoided the MK completely! - but relished the chance to relax and do whatever I wanted to do, such as sit on a bench in the Morocco pavilion for a while and people-watch, or hang out at the Poly beach with a book. That time alone, doing something just for myself, was wonderful, especially since I'm almost always focused on my children's needs. For that reason, I urge you to go solo this time. Reward yourself for the hard work you do at your job and at home with this unexpected opportunity - and then just plan another trip in the future for you and your son. :)

He'll only be your little boy for a short time ... soon he'll be older. Enjoy life with your son because he'll be only young once but will have memories with his Dad for a lifetime... So I say take 'em.

Dude

at 6 he won't remember it - so go solo - have fun - enjoy yourself - have a blast - party all night long!!!!

make this your 'once in a lifetime' trip - because until he is grow up - it might be....

I say do the solo trip. You earned the trip and should give yourself a chance to enjoy it. Think of as giving your son a "break" from having to do the boring things adults like, touring FW at Epcot, watching the shows, having a nice dinner, PI, even riding some of the more adventerous rides. That way when you take him back next time you don't have to feel like you are missing out of some of those things and can just enjoy your time doing exactly what he wants.

spiceycat said:
at 6 he won't remember it - so go solo - have fun - enjoy yourself - have a blast - party all night long!!!!

make this your 'once in a lifetime' trip - because until he is grow up - it might be....

Oh yes he will remember it at 6 - I took DS(8) for the first time when he was 6 and that's all he STILL talks about - he remembers everything (little details that I've forgotten about :) ) - yes, it was only 3 years ago but I would never ever think about going to Disney and not take my son with me.

once he turns 11 - then ask him about the trip - if he stills remembers then I will be impressed.

My niece has been going since she was 2 1/2 - now that she is 14 (going to be 15 this year) - she gets very mad when anyone mentions the earlier trips - and would like to say she wasn't there -but hey we have the pictures to prove it - and boy does she get mad.

her attitude is if I don't remember it - it doesn't count.

however when she was 6 she still remember her first trip at 2 1/2.

I'd say taking a solo trip after taking your son on two trips in the past year isn't going to put your nomination for Father of the Year in jeapordy. You've had time at WDW for you and your son, take some time for yourself.

From one solo Disney fanatic, I say go for it!!! I love going to WDW with my family, but have just as much fun going solo. Plus it allows me to do, see and dine at places that I may miss going with others. It does not mean you're a bad dad or anything, just that you love Disney and would like to enjoy it on an adult only level, which is perfectly fine. You can do all those nice sit down meals, you can do attractions that your son is too small for, but you always wanted to go on, you can wander around DTD or PI. You can get to the parks at early entry or sleep in. I love going with family, but I just feel like you have more flexibility to see and dine where and when I want. I've been solo 4 times, with a 5th planned for this fall!

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! It's also nice to know I'm not the only Disney fanatic in this place. I think I will go by myself. It's time for Dad to be a single guy again, and there is no place I would rather have adult fun than at Disney World. Since I'm not much of a wild and crazy party person, the atmosphere is perfect! Besides, maybe I'll find my Minnie Mouse while I'm there. . . . . .
"When You Wish Upon A Star". . . . . .Hey I still believe in the power of Wishes and dreams.

Good for you! Taking time for yourself is a good thing!

I'm a divorced mom actually taking my son to WDW this summer for his graduation present. It's the only way I could justify the trip. He's 18 so he's old enough to take care of himself when I ditch him now and then so I can go into some of the places he won't be allowed into for 3 more years. I'm guessing he's going to want to ditch me sometimes too. I've only been to WDW one other time '98 (when we were a family of 4) and I never made it into a single nice restaurant. I didn't even know you could buy alcohol in WDW. I figure a nice relaxing drink in the evening would be the perfect way to end the day. When did you say you were going? ;) ;) Where did you say you were staying? ;) ;)

As far as I am concerned, you sound like the PERFECT MAN!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Love That Mouse, looks like you are developing a fan club....... :cheer2:

I say take him six is old enough for you guys to go out to eat together. I think once you get there you would miss him and be sorry you left him home otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter