Single Dad in love with a mouse!

spiceycat said:
once he turns 11 - then ask him about the trip - if he stills remembers then I will be impressed.

My niece has been going since she was 2 1/2 - now that she is 14 (going to be 15 this year) - she gets very mad when anyone mentions the earlier trips - and would like to say she wasn't there -but hey we have the pictures to prove it - and boy does she get mad.

her attitude is if I don't remember it - it doesn't count.

however when she was 6 she still remember her first trip at 2 1/2.

Dh remembers the first time he went and he was 4 1/2

Thanks for the support. You know it's funny. One of the reasons for my divorce (though certainly not the only) was that my passion for Walt Disney World was not reciprocated by my ex-wife. Believe me, this was not the sole reason, but, it was. . . .well. . . .hard to explain.

For the last three years of my marriage it had been my son and I only going on our yearly pilgrimage to WDW. While I had a great time with my son, there were times when I "wished upon a star" for somebody else who could share in my passion as well. . . .A female companion who enjoyed the "wow" factor I feel when I see the fireworks over Cinderella's Castle. Somebody that understands and appreciates the uplifiting feeling I get when that little mouse appears at the top of the mountain at the end of Fantasmic that all I can do is cheer and shout. Somebody else who would enjoy a romantic lunch in Paris. I don't know, maybe I'm rambling.

Anyhow, that is why I am having a hard time deciding whether to go by myself or take my son. I appreciate all of your comments and is it refreshing to know there are other people in this world that share my feelings about "the most magical place on earth"!

Am I too strange to wish for these things? I have to tell you as a 37 year old man, sometimes it can feel strange to love these things. You know, men are supposed to love Vegas and he-man stuff, and I love a mouse! For me, it is far more romantic to share a boat ride on the lagoon at sunset than a night of gambling and drinking.

Thanks for all of your support :earsboy:

Not strange at all! I know lots of women (me, for one!) who would kill to meet a guy like you that shares the passion for Disney. I think it's so important to enjoy fun things together.

I say go alone...enjoy yourself and do what you want to do. It's not like you haven't taken your son and aren't going to take him again. I'm going alone in March---single for a while now--and I am going to have the time of my life!!!

Grab for that gusto, baby! We only live once!

Believe me Love That Mouse- you will have no trouble finding someone who loves your passion for WDW as much as you do. I think you already have some of us dreamy eyed over you!

Hi Mike,

You sound like a wonderful father. I think the best parents can be the best because they take time for themselves. I really think you'll have a wonderful time going solo this time knowing that you've spent a lot of quality time there with your son there in the last year. I can tell your son is the world to you and I'm sure he knows it.

I understand you wanting the "wow" feeling watching the fireworks and Fantasmic with someone special. I really can't think of a more romantic thing to do! And lunch in Paris? You have my heart going pittypat!

I also dream of having some "wow" in my life again. I've been separated/divorced for 5 years now and have gone on at least 4 different trips with my sisters and without my kids. It was hard for me to leave without them each time and I worried about how they were doing the whole time I was gone, but my kids survived just fine and I had a lot of fun. And my kids were thrilled to have a happier mom come home to them.

When I was married, I was able to get my husband to go to Disneyland one time, but that was enough for him. I took the kids a few times after that and we had a ball, and I went once alone with my sister and we had a ball then too!

I'm taking my son to WDW this time for his graduation trip, but I said he could go only if I get to go with him. We'll be there from June 28th till July 6th and we'll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge.

Just call me Minnie! ::MinnieMo

Hey....

I'm on the other end - I'm a female who has often wished I could find a guy who shared my enthusiasm for Disney! (and interestingly - it has also been hard to find FRIENDS that share it as well..)

I stopped waiting for that and starting going solo! Now I've moved right near the parks and I go as often as I can.

My son loves Disney and went with me a few times. Now he's going for the first time as an adult and bringing HIS son. I loved both my trips with him when he was a child as well as my solo trips. My solo trips weren't until he was in college so I didn't have to do the guilt thing - so I understand that. But I say - go ahead by yourself! (and too bad you weren't like 10 years older...LOL)

Smiles,

Holly

From a Mom who has children who are growing up to fast, I say take him.
Before you know it you will mention Disney and he will mention things he doesn't want to miss at home in order to go. I'm one to say spend every minute with him you can. Maybe be can take a niece or one of your parents along to enjoy the days with you two and be able to babysit at night if you want to enjoy pleasure island.
My kids remember their first Disney trip when they were 6 and 7.

Hi Mike!

I am a sinlge mom and I took my daughter everytime.....from 90-2001. She is now 21!! and I have done 1 solo....doing my next solo may 20th!

I have to admit......I feel gulity! I did love my solo(well, was with a friend...he does not like disney so he left!) so I ended up solo....

It really gives you time to be alone...time to think, and wonder the "World" it was a little strange at first....but I have counted the minutes to do solo again!!!

take some time for yourself....If you find yourself feeling gulity...just plan a trip with your son....to take that edge off!!!!
good luck!
Janet :wizard:

Glad you decided to go solo and enjoy yourself, Love That Mouse! You'll see a completely different side of WDW, and discover a few things to encourage your DS to do next trip with him!

If you feel up to it, spend an evening at the Adventurer's Club in PI. It's silly and fun, but not something you could do with a six-year-old! :) You also can visit other PI clubs, as well, but you'll probably enjoy yourself so much at the AC that you'll stay there most of the evening! There are a lot of solos, as well as couple and groups, so you can feel comfortable there.

Actually I have been to the Adventurers Club and I LOVE it. My favorite place in PI. Second place would have to be 8-Trax. Fun, Fun, Fun! Don't worry, I can also keep up at Motion and Mannequins. I love them all. The problem is I have always done them by myself and there are times it can be a bit depressing. . . . .Anyone else have this problem?

Nanabug02 said:
Wow.....looks like we've got a lovematch between these two! :lovestruc:

Hey, a girl can always dream! :blush: Isn't it nice though, to know that there are some single guys out there that have their priorities straight? :lovestruc

I can so relate to this thread. I also have recently seperated from a man who didn't share the "passion". Although like you it wasn't the only reason we sperated, it was one of them. My ds (8) and I have made 6 trips to WDW without him. He just would never take the time, always a reason. Often I am there and look at the other families and feel a hint of sadness. We are returning again in June for my ds's b-day.

I can tell you though, I have seriously thought of a solo trip. Sometimes extended family have been with us and I have tasted the thrill of TOT and Splash mountain...things I can't do with my ds.

I also feel guilty..disney is supposed to be for kids right? I can't explain the joy I feel looking at that castle for the first time or strolling main street. The tears that always come when I see fantasmic, or leave the MK for the last time...most people think I am a little crazy.

I have spent alot of time lurking on this board, secretly wondering if I could do it alone. Would my ds ever forgive me?

I am glad you have decided to go, good for you. Yes they are only young once, but he has been before and will be again. And yes I am better at giving advice instead of taking it!!!

I will watch anxiously for your trip report upon your return. Hey if you can do it maybe I can to...afterall my AP doesn't expire until Sept.

tmli said:
I can tell you though, I have seriously thought of a solo trip. Sometimes extended family have been with us and I have tasted the thrill of TOT and Splash mountain...things I can't do with my ds.
I also feel guilty..disney is supposed to be for kids right? I can't explain the joy I feel looking at that castle for the first time or strolling main street. The tears that always come when I see fantasmic, or leave the MK for the last time...most people think I am a little crazy.
I have spent alot of time lurking on this board, secretly wondering if I could do it alone.

My 2 cents: I just got back from a solo trip and share many of the emotions alrady expressed ... frustration at not having a partner who understood WDW and longing for a new partner who did. As a divorced man (48) I had a lot of strange looks when I revealed my plans. (You are going to Disney World alone? Who are you meeting?) Still, I would recommend going solo just to be able to do all those things that you put off or just walked past "until another time". My solo trip was great. Now, I can plan for a trip with my kids next year and will be able to skip some things that I won't be able to do with them knowing I enjoyed them on my first solo trip and I'll enjoy them again when I take my second solo trip. They may only be young once, but I'm not getting any younger either. Go solo this time and enjoy every moment of it!!

I'm sorry to hear of your seperation. Although I'm not there, I can somewhat relate. I will be sure to post the results of my trip alone. Now if I could just pick a date. . . .on the calendar that is! :-)

Thanks for the kind words Mike...good luck finding a "date" ;) for your upcoming trip!

Hey Gorshgoofy, I was also at POP in Jan of this year, when were you there?

Like I said, I'll be at WL from June 28 - July 6! Wink wink! ;)

Have a good time whenever you go, you're a winner Mike. Either you'll find the right person or she'll find you! Let us all know how it goes. I gotta admit though, I'm having fun flirting. ::yes::

Shawn (I SWEAR it's a girls name!)

I also vote for the solo trip.
You've already taken your son twice this year so you don't have anything to feel guilty about.
I am also planning my first solo trip sometime this year.
I went with my sister and my son and his roommate the first week in December and I know they won't be ready to go back for a while so after reading all the Solo reports, I'm going for it!! :wave:

I love this thread!! My best friend and I are both single. I love disney and she'd rather be out cruising the Caribbean. Therefore, she gives me a hard time everytime I opt to take my daughters to WDW instead of joining her for some adventure of a lifetime. :moped:

I once told her, WITHOUT PROOF, that there are plenty of good single men who love Disney. Her reply: There are no "sane" or "straight" single men out there who would willingly go to WDW alone. I can't wait to show her this thread. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter