Single Dad in love with a mouse!

Yes, I must say, I get the same looks when I announce how much I love Disney to anybody. I know there thinking, "and he's a straight man????? No, way!" But it is true! It's equally hard for them to believe it when I tell them of my love for drama, musicals, and anything Rock and Roll (okay, maybe the rock and roll thing is not to hard to believe. . . .)!

DSNYRose said:
I love this thread!! My best friend and I are both single. I love disney and she'd rather be out cruising the Caribbean. Therefore, she gives me a hard time everytime I opt to take my daughters to WDW instead of joining her for some adventure of a lifetime. :moped:

I once told her, WITHOUT PROOF, that there are plenty of good single men who love Disney. Her reply: There are no "sane" or "straight" single men out there who would willingly go to WDW alone. I can't wait to show her this thread. :teeth:

Tell her that there's at least one straight guy out there who not only does Disney solo but would enjoy cruising the Caribbean too, solo if necessary! I'm hoping for a Windjammer cruise this fall, or as soon there after as I can arrange it!

I did have a great time...it was our 2nd stay there. Missed you by a couple of days we were there Jan.12-24th. Heading back in June just not sure if it will be POP again or may try AKL. It's hard for me to justify the extra $ though so we will see. While I will have my ds with me in June I have decides to get him a sitter for a day and enjoy the world solo. You all have inspired me!

beansmom said:
Not strange at all! I know lots of women (me, for one!) who would kill to meet a guy like you that shares the passion for Disney. I think it's so important to enjoy fun things together.

I say go alone...enjoy yourself and do what you want to do. It's not like you haven't taken your son and aren't going to take him again. I'm going alone in March---single for a while now--and I am going to have the time of my life!!!
Grab for that gusto, baby! We only live once!

:wave: Hi :)
I have no children, but will put my 2 cents worth in anyway. I totally agree with what beansmom said, "Go solo!" You only live once.
It looks to me like you go at least once a year and since your son has already been there twice this year I would think it would be all right for you to go solo.
Enjoy and have a Magical Time :goodvibes

Forgive me if this is too touchy feely personal:

I too am recently divorced. Since it was my X who introduced me to WDW...and actually proposed to me at the Poly luau, my married life memories are VERY tied up with the MOuse. We went every year....engagement ,honeymoon, pregnancy, baby-toddler-teen daughter.
Unfortunately, X also took the other woman to Disney!!!!

BUt I refuse to let his betrayals and just plain rude behavior sully my love for the mouse. THat being said: be careful!. Your frame of mind when going to Disney solo can alter the experience. I found myself getting misty watching Wishes this December...even tho I was there with friends...if I had been alone, I think I might have lost it completely.

When I go now with my daughter, I can still remember all the good memories with her as the focus (meaning I don't dwell on the memories of X).

NOW A FUNNY STORY:
Have two bricks at Disney. A family brick in front of MK and another over by luau cove announcing our 'engagement'......Next time I go to Disney I think you might find me chipping out X's name in those bricks!!!!! :confused3
Hope I don't get arrested :rotfl2:

Finally: my daughter remember EVERY time she went to Disney because when she was a baby, we videotaped HER...and since she's watched those tapes so often....she has a 'memory' of all her toddler years. I think a 6 year old, even without videotape, will long remember his vacas with dad....especially during what must be a very difficult time for him with the divorce.

So dad....go solo and have a grand time. You will see things and think: oh I wish son was here but you will also see Disney from another angle and that is always a good broadening experience. :goodvibes

Colorado Belle

God bless you! What a great message and inspirational letter of "moving on". I always wondered about those bricks. . . .I mean what if. . . . .

Okay, I've officially won the contest, and I just couldn't stand to see the look in my son's face if he found out that I was going to Disney World and not taking him. So, I will be going with my son in Early June for an entire week of fun. Any other single parents going in Early to Mid-June with a six or seven year old? I have a six year old boy who would love to see the park with someone else. He's an only child. Let me know and we'll try to meet up with someone for an afternoon. Much fun planned between my son and I! YEEHAW!!!!!

This thread is proof positive that there has got to be some profit in singles tours of Disney. I enjoy Disney solo and sometimes its better but at other times I really wish someone were with me. Of course that might be because I've only done one entirely solo trip. EVery other trip I met someone at least one day.

Love that mouse- Congratulations on winning your contest. And I am thrilled that you are going to bring your son. I wish my kids were 6 again, because the older they get the less you see them. I'm 35 and we will be there next Sunday. Can't wait!

We'll probably miss you. My ds and I are arriving June 15th-22nd. He will be turning 9 while we are there. Hope you guys have a great time, and congratulations!

I will be going in oct w my(then) 6 yr old son. If you decide to go for MNNSHP..
I will also have my 8 yr old daughter
MY son's 2 favorites..halloween and disney. it will be our 1 st time there for MNNSHP and I can't wait. ( I didn't tell them yet.. shhh)

This is such a wonderful thread!!

Mike - I love your desire for someone special to share WDW with. I always liked Disney...went as a child with my family. When I met DH, it was a foregone conclusion that we would honeymoon there, because he LOVES everything WDW. I enjoyed sharing it with him and remembering being a child. Then he surprised me with an anniversary gift for "me" ;) - another trip down there for anniversary #3. Then again for #5. And then? I got hooked. Now we own DVC and visit twice a year...with our 3 1/2 year old son. And even though our friends and family tease us and think we're crazy...well...we don't care. It is something that we can share and the planning and obsessing and thread reading keeps us enthralled year round.

What a wonderful thing to enjoy together!! And from what I've read, there are some magnificent women on this thread who could share this with you - friendship or otherwise. Love of Disney and WDW isn't as superficial as it may seem on the surface...it's a love of family, childhood innocence, fun...show me someone who loves WDW and I'll show you someone who has much more in common with other WDW lovers than just a simple enjoyment of a location. But we all understand that, don't we??

Mike, I hope you find your Minnie Mouse. In the meantime, enjoy your trip with your son and maybe think about going back to enjoy all the adult entertainment WDW can offer...maybe with someone else who can share it with you. I can understand why you decided to bring your DS in the end...DH wants a "solo" trip without our beautiful son at some point (2007 for #10) and yet everytime we think about it, we look at him and imagine the expression on his face when he discovered we were going without him - a cross between incredulous and ticked off is my guess.

Ah, maybe someday...

Good luck Mike!! And seriously contemplate meeting up with some of these lovely ladies here. You never know, do you? :teeth:

Jennifer.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I too believe that somewhere out there a Minnie is waiting for me. I think you hit the nail on the head when you spoke of childhood innocence and a belief in the power of dreams! I agree that this forum could be a wonderful opportunity for me to meet someone who shares the love of Disney with me.

My friends have just resigned to the fact that I love Disney! So when discussion of vacation comes up, they now where I will be going. Actually, I'm thinking of buying into the DVC. I have some extra money coming to me from the sale of my home and I am giving it some consideration. It's nice to have choices!

Now about my trip: It may happen sooner that I thought! It looks like I will be going with my son the first week of May! Yippee! I have some vacation time coming from my work that I don't want to lose and I need to use it by then. :wizard: I'm so excited as is my son!

So, if you are planning on attending the first week of May, let me know. Perhaps we should start a new thread for actual trips and dates. . . .

Hi Mike...
There are a couple of threads going for solo trips in May (and I think it counts even when you bring your child), so you might want to check there.

Insofar as DVC...I just took the plunge this past week, and I'm going for my first visit to my home resort (BWV) in May. I figured out that for me and my d, that this could be MORE than just a vacation plan. Renting out the points we don't use can actually give a good return on investment. So you might want to look into it while you're there.

Make special memories with that 6 year old!

Yeehaw! I just got my confirmation today and I booked the airline! My son and I leave on April 30 and return on May 8! 8 fun days and 7 fun nights! What more could I ask for!?!?!? Let me know if you will be there during this time, and perhaps we could meet up! :earsboy:

Love That Mouse said:
Yeehaw! I just got my confirmation today and I booked the airline! My son and I leave on April 30 and return on May 8! 8 fun days and 7 fun nights! What more could I ask for!?!?!? Let me know if you will be there during this time, and perhaps we could meet up! :earsboy:

Well, it looks like we'll miss you by just a few days (April 19-27 for me and DD7) but I know that somehow you'll manage to have a wonderful time even without us. ;)

Good luck with everything. It sounds trite, but I really have found that everything works out the way it's supposed to, even if it looks awful at the time. You'll find your Minnie when the time is right. :love2:

We all love our children dearly, but sometimes you need to do something just for you. Since your son has experienced WDW already and probably more times in the future, go solo. When you go solo, you can really relax and enjoy and since you worked so hard for this prize, I say treat yourself this time and take your son again sometime soon. He will be with his Mother while you are at WDW, so you know that he will be in good hands. So, I say go for it! :cool1:

I am a single mom of three who is going solo late April to May 3rd.
Some of these posts have made me feel more guilty than I already did, HOWEVER....I think I will be a better mom if I get away for a while.

I have been raising these children for three years by myself now, and am stressed to the breaking point. I'm thinking sun, fun and pina coladas!! :drinking1

I will plan a trip for everyone in Dec or Jan.

Hope everything works out well for you!!

Christina

I didn't read the other replies, so forgive me if I am repeating other sentiments already expressed. I say at that age you should take him, six is such a magical age that I would take him until he thinks it is uncool to vacation with you. In a blink of an eye he will be a teenager with the I'm too cool to hang with my parents syndrom. So enjoy the trips together until then and then do your solo trips.

I love Disney so much, but a big part of that is sharing it with my family. When my daughter gets older, I wonder if I can go alone without getting too sentimental thinking about all the great memories we shared together at this very magical place. As you could probably tell - I'm a big softee. From one Father too another, I'm glad there are other guys who love Disney too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter