Single Dad in love with a mouse!

If you do decide to go solo don't feel guilty. These are just opinions and only you know what you need. It would not make you a bad parent if you do decide to go it alone. So I say follow your heart.

As Dr. Phil has said many times, your life didn't end when your child's began.

So whatever you choose have fun either way.

As a single mom whose favorite memories are of the trips I took to WDW with DD when she was little, I say take your son. I think you will find yourself a little sad when you get there because he is not with you. They grow up so quickly and then it just won't be the same. Take him!

stemikger said:
If you do decide to go solo don't feel guilty. These are just opinions and only you know what you need. It would not make you a bad parent if you do decide to go it alone. So I say follow your heart.

As Dr. Phil has said many times, your life didn't end when your child's began.

So whatever you choose have fun either way.

I'm gonna take a second and reply for Mike since he seems to be MIA on the thread... HEY MIKE... WHERE DID YOU GO???

He decided to take his son because he didn't want to see the look on his face when he was told that dad was going to Disney.

I have had the opportunity to chat with Mike and get to know him and he is an AWESOME dad!! Our vacations schedules will have some overlap so I'm looking forward to meeting Mike and his son!

(Sorry if I stepped on your toes Mike!)

Thanks Rhiansmom! Sorry for the delay in getting back to this!

Rhiansmom is right. The reason I decided to take my son is because of the look on the face when I told him I was considering going by myself. The look was so precious and sad, how could I say no. It was a look of total abondonment! So off we go. My time will come for an alone trip. When I take that adult trip, I want to save it for a special time.

Boy, are we looking forward to this trip. I tried to communicate on the Single Trips thread, but seemed to get booted because of the DS. No problem! We'll just keep it going right here!

So any other suggestions for our magical trip? I have never visited a water park and DS is requesting to visit one. Any suggestions folks? He can swim okay, but he has never been in water over his head. Actually, he surprised my ex-wife and I this past summer. He went from being completely afraid of the water to jumping in on his own and going underwater! This is a fringe benefit of day care filled with slightly older kids.

So any suggestions folks? Are the pools "deep" or could a 4 ft. 6 year old get by in them? As always, I await your replies.

Disney is great, the chance to go solo is an oportunity you dont want to miss it will give you more insight to when you do go with you child. you have the oportunity to do and go on rides he or she cant and to understand more for them that when he or she go with you next time you can share. Go solo relax enjoy and just enjoy DW Magic.

I read this thread and I had one of those 'I can laugh about it now' moments...

6 plus years ago... as I was planning the long-awaited first family trip to WDW, I put down my WDW planning guide, dog-eared as it was, and asked my then husband to pick a hotel. I wasn't nearly so planning-obsessive then (just one planner book, not the half dozen that grace my nightstand today) but I knew if I didn't plan it no one would. After a brief read, I told him to pick one of the monorail resorts. I was torn between the CR and the Poly, but I made it clear I would be happy with either, and I would love it if he made the final decision so I could book a room. He shrugged to indicate it made no difference. I asked if he would be okay with whatever my decision was. Again, he shrugged. I persisted, asking why he wouldn't pick one. He reluctantly stammered that he didn't know if he would be around at trip time. He needed to find himself. He thought he might be somewhat commitment-phobic (after 11 years of marriage, no less.) Blah blah blah. I don't have to tell you what happened, and I don't have to tell you her name.

We spent the trip money on a divorce. No concierge service. No free upgrade. I went back to what I was doing before I became a mother. I packed the guidebooks away in moving boxes. Disney would have to wait.

That spring seems a million miles away, but I can recall that afternoon as if it were yesterday. My kids and I have grown in so many ways since then. They've tagged along as I traveled all over the country and europe for work. They made an extra spot at the homework table for me when I went back to finish my degree. They never let me forget why they are the most important things in the world to me. But beyond all that...none of us stopped dreaming of going to WDW, and this October we get our chance.

Anyhow... your comment about your spouse not sharing your enthusiam for Disney reminded me of that moment in my life. Not one of the best, as far as moments go... but it was pivotal, and I thank you for letting me remember it here.

Enjoy your trip with your son. They are only 6 for about 20 minutes, and before you know it you'll be visiting prospective colleges with him. PI will always be there...

:hourglass

Thanks for the note! It made me laugh and cry (the planning books made me laugh, the divorce and hurt made me cry). I know "there is a great big beautiful tomorrow just waiting at the end of every day. . . ." I'll keep looking and believing. Thanks again for the great note!

Love That Mouse said:
Thanks for the note! It made me laugh and cry (the planning books made me laugh, the divorce and hurt made me cry). I know "there is a great big beautiful tomorrow just waiting at the end of every day. . . ." I'll keep looking and believing. Thanks again for the great note!

No need to cry! It's definitely a moment moment I laugh about now. It's almost a running joke about choosing hotels! :earboy2:

Life is good, and you will rediscover that before you know it. The moment I discovered that introducing the world to my kids was far more rewarding than any vacation I took by myself was the moment that brought sense and realization of purpose to my life. The adventures we have had, and the work we do to get there... an important lesson in life! We work hard and we play hard!

Have a fabulous time with your son... his 20 minutes are almost up!

:wave:

Boy laptop girl, you weren't kidding when you said you were where i was 6 years ago...I was very moved with your story. You will be my motivation to get through this very difficult time. I am only a few short minutes into this part of my life, so it is great to read about life a little further into the journey.

Mike... I'm not sure when you are going but I've heard rumors of a new character breakfast that is more boy oriented. I've heard that it will have a trial run around mother's day and if it's successful will continue. Just thought your son might like that. :)

I couldn't imagine not taking my dd with me to DW. I think you've made a decision that you won't ever regret! Although I'd like some "mommy" time she'll only be little once. I will always have time when she's grown. Now it's my time to be both mom and dad for her.

Have Fun!!!!

My son and I are so excited! We are preparing every day. For right now, there is not much to do, but it is getting closer. My DS is going to a character dinner, Backyard BBQ, and the family magic tour (thanks rhiansmom :earsboy: !) It will be a great week with a fantastic finish! I'll give everyone a complete trip report when I return with DS and more pictures than I know what to do with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter