Single parents at Disneyland!

barefootmomma

DIS Veteran
Just wondering how many others are single parents in the Disneyland community here. :)

It can be a little more challenging having only one set of hands, but my son and I don't let it slow us down too often. I have been really surprised how nice some people are to hold the tram door for us when I'm trying to lug our stuff and us on, I couldn't be more thankful for those people some days. :) Those doors are a big pain in the tush! The one thing that is the most common problem for us, mommy is never in any of the pictures! :laughing:

I agree, the only pics of me and my son are by photopass photographers.

Though elsewise everything else goes great.

I'm surprised that we, you Barefootmomma and I are the only single parents that have taken our kids to the park on this forum. :confused:

I used to be a single parent...I took my daughter to DLR once when she was four. The biggest thing for me at the time was like you, I felt like I needed another set of hands. Also, my daughter was too afraid to ride MOST of the rides, so we did IASW about 15 times. :scared1: I would have loved someone to take her for a little bit so I could get in a few of the rides she refused. She wouldn't even do POTC (which is now in her top three).

I'm a single (well, divorced) parent, but my kids are now 22 & 21. My kids grew up going to Disneyland on a regular basis, just the three of us. I had to change the way I visited the parks to tailor to what they were ready to do, and as they grew up we just increased our adventures year by year.

I'll be there as a single parent next month; I'm only bringing one with me this time, along with my mom, sister, and nephew. Next year I'm planning a trip with both children. I'm a little worried about it, but hope it'll be great!

Not a single parent but I might as well be, anyway most of our trips are just me and my boys. As they get bigger it is easy , but I could imagine with toddlers it would be rough! I remember the days of needing help and I always try to hold a door when I see a stroller coming, and I have taught my sons to do the same. I have had to hope many times somebody offers to take our picture together I am lucky to get more than a couple a trip

I'm not single but I was talking to my DBrother who is and he had a lot of concerns about taking his two kids alone. He has a boy (8) and a girl (4). He knows his DS won't want to any of the princess stuff and his DD can't ride on most of the rides DS will want to go on. I suggested he go when we are there so there is more flexibility but he's decided to wait until DD is a bit older so they can all go on the same rides.

I had never thought about those things before. Man, that is really difficult!

I'm not single but I was talking to my DBrother who is and he had a lot of concerns about taking his two kids alone. He has a boy (8) and a girl (4). He knows his DS won't want to any of the princess stuff and his DD can't ride on most of the rides DS will want to go on. I suggested he go when we are there so there is more flexibility but he's decided to wait until DD is a bit older so they can all go on the same rides.

I had never thought about those things before. Man, that is really difficult!

I don't think it would be a must to take DD to princess things. Missing out on that leaves so many other fun things to do. If it's a big deal they could do a character meal together. I'd be more worried about if DD will go to the bathroom herself or go in the mens room. Though at DL if he sees a mom going in to the restroom I'd be up for asking her if she could take my daughter if I had one.

I don't think it would be a must to take DD to princess things. Missing out on that leaves so many other fun things to do. If it's a big deal they could do a character meal together. I'd be more worried about if DD will go to the bathroom herself or go in the mens room. Though at DL if he sees a mom going in to the restroom I'd be up for asking her if she could take my daughter if I had one.

His DD is obsessed with Princesses and dress-up right now but maybe not be so much in a couple of years. I don't think he'd mind bringing her in the men's room with him as long as there are stalls. (I've never been in one personally so I don't know, lol)

I'm sure with 2 kids, especially a boy and a girl, it'd be a lot more difficult. I wonder if there are any family bathrooms in the parks, I've never seen any but you'd think there would be something! As far as princesses go, as a girl myself, I'd say it's a crime to take a little girl to Disney and not see the princesses! :) Especially so if she's particularly interested in them. I'm sure as a big brother he might be persuaded to hang out so his sister could have a minute with them. If nothing else, it'd be a good lesson on doing something nice for others that you might not necessarily want to do for yourself. I agree on the ride situation though, even with a 3 year-old who is very tall for his age there are rides that my son can't or won't do that we miss out on every single trip. I haven't been on the Matterhorn since before I was pregnant with him! :laughing: I miss the faster paced stuff sometimes.

I'll be there as a single parent next month; I'm only bringing one with me this time, along with my mom, sister, and nephew. Next year I'm planning a trip with both children. I'm a little worried about it, but hope it'll be great!

A trip with one should be a great test run! You can sort of make a mental note/check list of what will and won't work with two. I hope that your trip with both turns out to be wonderful.

His DD is obsessed with Princesses and dress-up right now but maybe not be so much in a couple of years. I don't think he'd mind bringing her in the men's room with him as long as there are stalls. (I've never been in one personally so I don't know, lol)

Keep this in mind regarding Princesses. At one time BBB and AG didn't exist. But everyone still enjoyed DL.

If dressing up like one is important, you can find the costumes on Amazon and arrive at the park as a princess.

Another single mom here. My DD10 (11 on Sunday) go alone all the time and have been for years. :cloud9:

I have taken my DD to WDW as a single parent since she was 2/9 months (see my siggie) Of course, when I go to WDW my DM goes too!

I know what you mean about being in the pictures. Besides having the PP photographer take PP of you that you can buy can have them take ones of the both of you with your own camera. No charge

Another single mom here. My DD10 (11 on Sunday) go alone all the time and have been for years. :cloud9:

I have taken my DD to WDW as a single parent since she was 2/9 months (see my siggie) Of course, when I go to WDW my DM goes too!

I know what you mean about being in the pictures. Besides having the PP photographer take PP of you that you can buy can have them take ones of the both of you with your own camera. No charge

I always forget to do this! I'm going to have to be more proactive when they approach us. I feel like we're an easy target sometimes. :laughing: I wish there were more of them throughout the park though, especially when the characters are out on Main Street. It seems sort of hit and miss.

I always forget to do this! I'm going to have to be more proactive when they approach us. I feel like we're an easy target sometimes. :laughing: I wish there were more of them throughout the park though, especially when the characters are out on Main Street. It seems sort of hit and miss.

I agree, I have been disappointed lately in the amount of PP photogs out. Seems the numbers are diminishing. There is almost always (I've never been there when there wasn't) ones at Mickey's house and Pixie Hollow. That may help a little.

I am a recently divorced single mother of 2. I have taken my 2 children to Disney, 2 times on my own, took all 3 kids (step daughter) with the x husband once. I really enjoy taking my kids and enjoying the park together. The draw backs of being a single parent with 2 is not being able to focus on one for any length of time!! Not being in very many pictures, if any at all. The draw backs of going with a spouse is when the idiot takes the camera says he will take the pics and misses your 3 year old son being walked off of the grand carousel by the fairy god mother and then misses Cinderella leaning over and kissing the same 3 year old son on the cheek!! Think I would rather miss being in the photo to be certain I get the photo!! We will be going back to Disney in October! Can't wait!!

There is a restroom @ DL near the Carnation Plaza (to the left of the castle as you face it), and that is a single/family restroom where parents can take their children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter