Slate piece on Eisner...

Wow. The author really hates Eisner (Landbaron, you aren't moonlighting are you?). I thought this summed the article up:
In the past eight years, few bosses have matched Eisner’s threefer of massive compensation, poor stock performance, and rotten management. He has committed pretty much every sin in the CEO’s Book of Transgressions.
_ _ _ _He engaged in a disastrous, expensive, and highly public failure to groom a successor.
Points that we have consistantly made here on the Rumors & News board. Now, could someone forward the article to the Disney board of directors?

Sarangel

_In the spring of 2001, Forbes concluded that in the previous five years, Eisner made $737 million. This was in a period when the company’s profits fell and in which the company’s stock performed poorly.

WOW! Can I have 1% of that? Although I would like o see the yearly breakdown of his salary, his bonus, and Disney's earnings and profit. Still seems like a bit on the high side.

Panthius

:confused:

Originally posted by thedscoop
...you forgot to mention this quote... ...a point that thedscoop has been consistently making on these boards (that's weird, I think I just referred to myself in the third person...ugh!) ;)

Unfortunately for Eisner, when you are a leader you are always subject to the "what have you done lately" rule. At this point it really doesn't matter how much success he had the first ten years because the last eight have been garbage.

If he earns all the credit for the first ten years, he also earns all of the blame for the last eight.

Kind of looks like we are stuck with the guy for a while. Stock closed at 13.90. Maybe this will shake someone up.

Yes, but if the stock keeps dropping, will the company end up in the same position it was in when Ei$ner was brought in?

I shudder to think of some corporate raider who will buy up outstanding shares for a song and then have a garage sale with the Disney Company.

How come we haven't heard anything from the Bass Brothers of Texas? Aren't they still the majority stockholders?

Lisa:cool:

Ownership Information
Shares Outstanding 2,040,566,016
Institutional Ownership (%) 59.10
Top 10 Institutions (%) 23.03
Mutual Fund Ownership (%) 19.10
5%/Insider Ownership (%) 1.45
Float (%) 98.55

Kind of looks like if there is going to be a push to get him out, it would have to come from the Institutional ownerships.

I heard of a guy(boy when you remember these thing you can't remember the names) who didn't own very many share of a company. I think it had to do with a Steak restuarant chain. He didn't like the way it was being run. Well he gathered up all the facts and presented them to the institutional investors. Not only did he convince them to elect them to the board, he got elected as the CEO. It would be nice if there was enough pixie dust around for this to happen here. Darn if only I could remember the name of that company. Think it was in Texas.

The Bass Brothers (and their progeny now), either individually or en-famile, no longer have any siginificant position in Disney.

In fact - there really isn't anyone (including institutional investors) that has a significant position in Disney. It's actually modestly interesting that nobody owns much of Disney...

quote:

For the first 10 years of his tenure, Eisner was a genius. In 1984, he arrived at a dispirited Disney, then worth just $2 billion. He revived its historic animation unit, invested in the theme parks, led the (ultimately) lucrative expansion into Europe, brought edgy Miramax into the fold, and generally made kids — and more important, investors — feel warm and fuzzy about Disney again

---------------------------

Frank Wells was there for the first 10 years.

Connection? I think so.

Didn't you post a rumor yesterday about Diane Disney Miller being interested in Ei$ner's ouster?

Does anyone know how much Disney stock Ron & Diane Disney Miller still own? I know that there is bad blood between Roy E. Disney and Ron Miller because Roy was the one who started things in motion of Ron's ouster.

Do you suppose maybe one of Ron & Diane's children is interested in getting back in the company?

Lisa:cool:

I'm in the process of reading, "Storming the Magic Kingdom." Not too far away from the chapter which talks about how Roy did consider the possibility of working with Saul Steinberg, and Roy would end up with the merchandising rights and the studio, but Roy didn't feel comfortable with a break-up at that point.

But with how much Disney has changed, I would wonder if Roy would be as uncomfortable with a break-up now? A break-up would help Disney get back to it's core. Back then the two sides of the Disney family seemed to be worked against each other to start, and I would imagine this time they would be on the same team from the get-go. How does that change things? Would Roy go after the Studio/merchandising, could the Disney Miller's go after the Theme Parks, could an international player like OLC end up running the DL resort?

Wish I had a lot more connections in the business world!

Hopemax
I'm in the process of reading, "Storming the Magic Kingdom."
I was planning to read this on vacation, but just started it the other day. I think we are in about the same place in the book. How strange it is to read today’s LA Times article where Gold, Watson and Roy are mentioned, and another where Disney talks about buying assets (the Vivendi reference). All sounds so familiar doesn’t it.

Does anyone have any insight on how accurate this book is? It seems objective, and sheds a lot of insight into the business practices (or lack thereof) and the mentality of the company back then.

With practically every firm on Wall Street having analyzed the unexploited Disney opportunities (circa 83), it had to give Eisner a pretty good road map to follow. Too bad those plans didn’t extend beyond 10 years. Looks like we have some new passengers in the “things have changed since the mid-90s car”.

The old style raiders don’t seem to be much of a force these days (break-up and sell off all the parts). Most acquisitions seem to be synergy or value enhancement driven. Where a good part of the acquired company is strategic to the buyer and they want to grow it, not slash and burn. Scoop, your scenario could happen, but seems unlikely. Out of curiosity, is Steinberg still around?

Do the parks need to be surrounded by an in-house entertainment division to be successful. Clearly, the pipeline of animation characters has been pivotal in the past. Today, that pipeline has strong third parties ties. What if the parks were free to aggressively license the best properties available, regardless of studio affiliation, to incorporate into the parks. Is it possible this could be just as good from a customer perspective?

First off to AV:
'Storming the Magic Kingdom' is extremely accurate.
I read it but wasn’t sure of the accuracy. Thanks for verification!!!

Now, to my dear friend Mr. Scoop!!

An awful lot of what you say as to “WHY?” is very true, Scoop my man. And I wouldn’t like it much if the same company that runs the parks did NOT own the animation division as well. BUT given a choice of more Ei$ner (or one like him, i.e. someone who doesn’t GET IT) and a bust up of the company, well… wrecking ball, here I come!!!

You do understand that I am primarily concerned with WDW (with a significant interest in Disneyland, being the first)? If it comes to a choice between animation and a well run, albeit smaller company or division in charge of WDW, so be it!! A choice between the publishing company, cruise line WDW (the way it is) or a stand alone parks company or division (NOT supplying a conglomerate with unlimited funding) well, that’s a no brainer, too!! Do you really think that whoever gets the parks will e-Bay the audio-animatronic characters individually and sell off the castle as condos?!?! Come on, Scoop!! Ain’t gonna happen!! The absolute worst that can happen is that we remain what we are today. A profit center and money machine for some other company who is very worried about selling plush toys instead of selling magic!!

Can you really think of any company that would run WDW better? If so, please share a name because I don't see any real "customer service first" companies out there anymore.
And I would agree IF (and that’s a pretty big ‘if’) Disney was still a “real customer service first company”. However, they are clearly not!!

The company has changed over the past 18 years, my dear Scoop. Or hadn’t you noticed? They are no longer a real customer service first company. They are a profit oriented money machine (or at least that’s what they want to be). You want the truth? (YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!* ;) ) How about the ridiculous, shortsighted, profit motivated (or at least cost savings) plan regarding CBR, the change in hours, elimination of EE, the capricious and almost random cancellation of various E-ticket nights, the utter lack of imaginative forms of transportation, the reduction of “magical” air conditioning, the early closings of specific rides and attractions, the elimination of attractions with no replacements, and even those damned vacuum cleaners all point to a company which is no longer as concerned with Guest Satisfaction as it is with the bottom line. Not only have they eliminated two days from the traditional Traditions, but the have tacitly, through their corporate culture, rewritten it. If they’re really being honest it should now read:

1- Safety
2- Courtesy
3- Efficiency
4- Show

(And I’m not even sure about the order of numbers two and three anymore!!)

WOW!! What a subtle and yet profound a change. Just the juxtaposition of the last two items have changed the entire mission of the company. Before that change, what they were “selling” was a SHOW. A magical time. A pixie dust experience. Now they sell commodities: plush toys, pop corn and pins. We used to purchase their wares with brand loyalty and return visits (which naturally raked in the bucks). Now we purchase with cash only (Disney ® is just another business). An oh-so-slight difference, Scoop, but very, very significant one!!

So, I really don’t understand all the fretting, worrying, hand wringing and gnashing of teeth. I don’t see how we can be much worse off than someone who doesn’t GET IT!! Maybe. Just maybe, we’ll luck into someone who does!!! :)

Let’s face it Scoop, as far as the parks are concerned, they’re at about as low as the tide will allow. THANK GOD FOR UNIVERSAL!! Can you imagine what it would be like if the only competition in the country were Coney Island types and local amusement parks!!

Maybe WalMart's Disney West Coast Village...Ugh!
Good Grief!! SCOOP!!! Wake up!! We have that now!!! Have you been to Downtown Disney lately?

* Sorry! I can never resist throwing in a good movie quote. And that’s all that was. An opportunity to do my Jack Nicholson impression (pretty good, eh?) So, I know, deep down, that Scoop can handle the truth. He’d just rather hide from it!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter