slo’s TUESDAY 1/30 poll - Who remembers using this…….❓

Public Rolling Cloth Hand Dryer - Do u remember it, Did u use it, Did u think it was gross? (m.c.)

• I remember it

Votes: 98 87.5%
  • I do not remember it

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I always used it - I didn’t think it was gross

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • I always used it - I did think it was gross, but used it anyway

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I sometimes used it - I didn’t think it was gross

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I sometimes used it - I did think it was gross, but used it anyway

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • I never used it - I didn’t think it was gross - I just couldn’t be bothered with it

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I never used it - I did think it was gross and wouldn’t touch it

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I’ve seen one in the last 10 years - please post where

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
I recall seeing them in various public restrooms. The theory is fine as the idea was a new/clean area would be there for you to use. The used part was supposed to roll back up into the machine but frequently didn't work so well or got stuck once the roll ended. Personally, I find those air/blow dryer machines just as annoying and seems like they simply move air around and do a terrible job of actually drying your hands. You eventually end up drying your hands on your clothes instead!

There were times I'd just dry my hands on my pants, although not very well, because those didn't seem good to use in my opinion.

I posted something like this on facebook, and a lot of folks have had a good laugh remembering those things. yuck! Yes, used to use them all time in gas stations when we travelled. Probably other places too, it was all they had back then. Although, now I wonder why I just didn't leave w/o drying my hands like I find myself doing now, when the paper dispenser is out, and someone is using the dryer.

There was pizza place that had one growing up. I always thought it was so cool. Never even thought about the ick factor. I just liked pulling it and pulling it to make it go round and round. 🤣

Definitely remember them - used them occasionally if I could find a clean spot, but agree they're pretty gross.

I remember them and I thought it was dodgy from a sanitary perspective, but what're ya gonna do? I also remember bars of soap in public restrooms that were covered in filth.:scared:

Definitely remember them and used them. I know I saw one not too, too long ago and am trying to recall where that was. I always wondered how long the cloth actually was.

I’ve never heard of these but they sound absolutely disgusting. The ancient Romans in their public bathrooms used to have a sea sponge on a stick that everyone would use to wipe themselves with after using the bathroom, and although not quite as gross, this reminds me of that lol

They are pretty awful, but at least people were most likely using them after they washed their hands, unlike the door handle on the way out....

Yes, I remember it and yes I used it. Like the PP I didn't think it was gross because that was the only option unless you wanted to A: use toilet paper or B: not wash your hands. Both of those options would have been more gross.

I recall seeing them in various public restrooms. The theory is fine as the idea was a new/clean area would be there for you to use. The used part was supposed to roll back up into the machine but frequently didn't work so well or got stuck once the roll ended. Personally, I find those air/blow dryer machines just as annoying and seems like they simply move air around and do a terrible job of actually drying your hands. You eventually end up drying your hands on your clothes instead!

Right - isn't the idea that the used parts roll back into the machine? It's not just a loop, the dirty side doesn't come back out the top. Granted, that is contingent on it working properly and not being stuck, etc. I have rarely actually seen these, but I think I have. They haven't really been common in my lifetime, yet I am familliar with the concept.

I remember those, they were popular in restrooms at gas stations and restaurants for some reason as I recall.

Not as gross, however as soda vending machines in the Soviet Union. I took a College class that spent a week in the U.S.S.R. and the soda vending machines had real glass glasses. Actually, the machine had ONE glass. It had a setup where you "rinsed" the glass, put your money in, got your drink, drank it and put the glass back for the next person to rinse and use. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
Same for many beverage vending machines in Poland in the 1980s. It was considered a breach of etiquette to bring and use your own glass or cup. You were expected to gulp down the drink quickly so the next person could use the machine.

There were also vending machines that dispensed drinks in bottles, but they were much more expensive than the communal glass ones.

I remember them and I do remember trying to use them, but it wasn't so much clean vs. dirty as it was wet vs. dry. So, I was never grossed out by them...just frustrated. I'd pull down on the fabric to find a dry patch, but it was always wet. I can't dry my hands with a wet towel, so I rarely bothered if a bathroom had one of those.

Same for many beverage vending machines in Poland in the 1980s. It was considered a breach of etiquette to bring and use your own glass or cup. You were expected to gulp down the drink quickly so the next person could use the machine.

There were also vending machines that dispensed drinks in bottles, but they were much more expensive than the communal glass ones.

I do remember the soda vending machines that filled a paper cup for you. They were really before my time, but the old roller-skating rink had a few old-style vending machines in their snack bar area. I really only ever saw it there. You didn't have to share the cup though - gross! It would drop a fresh cup, some ice, then fill with soda, all automatically. I want to say it was kinda like this one:

1706630527247.png

My old barber shop also had an old bottle vending maching witht he door like this:

1706630604665.png

I remember using them when I was younger. For the most part, I didn’t think much about it (as someone else said… that was what was available). As long as the “next spot” was dry, I didn’t mind too much… but in busy restrooms sometimes it never really got dry… and wiping your hands on a wet towel is gross. When air dryers started becoming popular, I remember thinking it was a huge upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter