slo’s TUESDAY 1/30 poll - Who remembers using this…….❓

Public Rolling Cloth Hand Dryer - Do u remember it, Did u use it, Did u think it was gross? (m.c.)

• I remember it

Votes: 98 87.5%
  • I do not remember it

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I always used it - I didn’t think it was gross

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • I always used it - I did think it was gross, but used it anyway

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I sometimes used it - I didn’t think it was gross

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I sometimes used it - I did think it was gross, but used it anyway

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • I never used it - I didn’t think it was gross - I just couldn’t be bothered with it

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I never used it - I did think it was gross and wouldn’t touch it

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I’ve seen one in the last 10 years - please post where

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
I remember them. I don't think I ever used one as I thought they were gross. I think I saw them at the rest stop bathrooms before they started to remodel the rest stops.

I remember using them as a kid but at the time didn’t think much of It. I don’t remember seeing one as an adult.

I remember them and using them sparingly. Now does anyone know, did they get removed and laundered or thrown out for a new one? Luckily I never worked in a place that had one but I bet somebody knows.

I always used it, UNLESS there wasn't a dry/clean area. Then I'd grab toilet paper and use that.
They are pretty awful, but at least people were most likely using them after they washed their hands, unlike the door handle on the way out....
One reason I use paper towels, or one of the napkins I've stashed in my bag to open the door, THEN throw it away.

I remember seeing them occasionally and I suppose I used them a few times. It’s probably been at least 30 years.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the used end of the roll retracted back up into the machine, but there always seemed to be like 3-4 feet of dirty towel hanging down.

I do remember the soda vending machines that filled a paper cup for you. They were really before my time, but the old roller-skating rink had a few old-style vending machines in their snack bar area. I really only ever saw it there. You didn't have to share the cup though - gross! It would drop a fresh cup, some ice, then fill with soda, all automatically. I want to say it was kinda like this one:

View attachment 829992

My old barber shop also had an old bottle vending maching witht he door like this:

View attachment 829993
Yes, I remember soda machines that dispensed into disposable paper cups. Coffee machines too.

Sometimes the cup dropped haphazardly and the liquid starting pouring before you could straighten it out.

And my father’s business had that style of soda machine. It replaced an even more antique model.

I remember them and using them sparingly. Now does anyone know, did they get removed and laundered or thrown out for a new one? Luckily I never worked in a place that had one but I bet somebody knows.
They were SUPPOSED to be removed and either laundered or replaced entirely on a regular basis. But who knows how often that happened.

I always wanted to believe there was a big hole in the wall behind it and the towel just kept being new until it was changed. Yes, I was young, and yes, I realize now how that wasn't the case.

Everyone's hands were just washed, so I don't know exactly what would be gross about it. I didn't like when it got stuck and it didn't dry, but when it was working correctly it was just fine.

Everyone's hands were just washed, so I don't know exactly what would be gross about it.
I've seen people who just run their hands under the water and call that "washed". Still dirty, and the dirt rubbed off on the towel since it was now wet. Had to wonder what else was not removed by just making their hands wet.

Last edited:
I remember seeing one (or more) when I was young - 1970s. I remember knowing I didn’t want to use it but there were the paper towel choice also. I don’t think I’ve seen them anywhere since that time.

I've seen people who just run their hands under the water and call that "washed". Still dirty, and the dirt rubbed off on the towel since it was now wet. Had to wonder what else was no removed by just making their hands wet.
My understanding is that a good percentage of men don’t wash at all after using the restroom. :eek:

I always pulled the cloth down to a clean portion if I could. I always wondered where the dirty part went though. Is it rolled up right next to the clean roll? :scared:

If I couldn't pull down a clean section, no way was I using it.

I've seen people who just run their hands under the water and call that "washed". Still dirty, and the dirt rubbed off on the towel since it was now wet. Had to wonder what else was no removed by just making their hands wet.

This is why I think those turbo Dyson air dryers are even worse. They are literally turbo blowing whatever is on someone's hands into the air and onto anyone nearby. :duck:

There should be a warning to stay 6 ft away from someone while they are turbo drying their hands. :scared:

I remember those, they were popular in restrooms at gas stations and restaurants for some reason as I recall.
Likewise here, TV. Seems they both quite frequently had these. And as said several times, when they were stuck, that was the most frustrating. Then you had yo wipe your hands on your shirt and pants.

Wow! I grew up in the 80's and had no idea what you were even talking about until I saw the picture! I've never seen/heard of such a thing. I remember the powder soap in elementary school (which we would all waste absurdly) but we certainly didn't have these hand dryers. haha, come to think of it, we all just "air dried" our hands!

Wow! I grew up in the 80's and had no idea what you were even talking about until I saw the picture! I've never seen/heard of such a thing. I remember the powder soap in elementary school (which we would all waste absurdly) but we certainly didn't have these hand dryers. haha, come to think of it, we all just "air dried" our hands!
Disney World used the powdered soap until the early 2000s. I think they got rid of it after the anthrax scare.

Reactions: slo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter