• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

??Southwest??

LvsTnk

Home is AKV&BLT
We have never flown them before but the fare for our time frame looks good.

So, my ? the security add on's are in addition to the fare they post with taxes at the top?

Also how bad is it not to have the seats assigned? There are 5 of us but I only need to sit with DS who has special needs. Do they have pre-boarding?

Any help would be appreiciated:)

Hi,
I am a BIG fan of SWA and fly them almost all the time. So, I will share with you what I know.
The final price will be on the screen after you pick your flights.
Taxes and "extra charges" are in addition to the base fare.
With anyone needing extra time to board, especially those with special needs, they will preboard. Just let them know at the desk at the gate, they will give you a blue sleeve for preboarding.
Also, you can check in curbside, if you are "curbing" your luggage, they will give you a boarding pass there, (just remember to tip the skycap). I doubt you will get 5 seats together as the plane is set up 3 aisle 3. If you are lucky and get a plane that has NOT been reconfigured, you may be able to get the "lounge seats" which are three facing three. That might be perfect for your family.
SWA is a very very friendly airline, most of the FAs have super senses of humor and make flying a lot of fun.
I hope this helps and if you need more answers, please, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for!

So all those security fees are in the final total. I just need the 2 seats together for DS and I. We always curb it and that sounds like the way to go.

Looks like I might be getting airfare!!:D

Hi,
I am so happy I could help. Just an FYI, they will allow the entire family to preboard, and before people with small children, so, it looks like you will all be in the same area. :) Good luck!!! And, remember, we are here to help. :)

Gail could you answer a few questions for me please?:D

We're flying Southwest for the first time next month and we have always flown charter from Toronto so could you please explain what curb check in is and about how much for a tip? It's just myself and DH, travelling down to Florida.:)

Thanks kindly.:)

Sure,Sammi,
Curb check in is where you have the sky cap take your bags and you hand them your ticket or eticket and ID, they in turn, check you in and hand you a boarding pass and take your luggage to where it needs to go. It makes flying painless and avoids the lines at the ticket counter.
The normal tip is somewhere between 1.50 and 2.00 per bag. I normally go on the high side of this because I truly appreciate not having to stand in line.
Hope this helps.

We usually tip on the highside too! It is a great service and we have been getting the same skycap LOL!

:D Thanks again Gail!

You are certainly welcome.

We usually tip on the highside too! It is a great service and we have been getting the same skycap LOL!

Bet he smiles when he sees you!! :)

I watched a kajillion people in line at curbside at MCO on the 8th of Feb. They were not tipping the sky caps, they were just circumventing the line inside. I was really annoyed by this. Why do people think this is ok. SWA should surcharge this service.
I had my money out and amazingly enough the skycap ignored the line and came right to me. I was very surprised by this and the skycap mentioned that he made his money from tips and the others could wait. I got some hateful looks, let me tell you.

Thanks so much Gail for your speedy response.:)

It sure sounds a lot less work to have them check you in at curbside and we will do that if we see a skycap. And thanks for letting me know how much to tip as this stuff is all new to us! LOL;)

We've never flown Southwest and I'm a little nervous about not getting seats together with my DH (I'm not a very good flyer!:( )lol...... but the price was right and I've heard all kind of great comments on Southwest.:)

Thanks again...........time is flying by fast and pretty soon I'll see the sunshine again!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Cindy,
You are totally welcome. Just get there early and hopefully you will get an "A" or "B" boarding pass and you will have no problem sitting together. SWA is wonderful and I totally enjoy flying with them.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
You are certainly welcome.
SWA should surcharge this service.
I had my money out and amazingly enough the skycap ignored the line and came right to me. I was very surprised by this and the skycap mentioned that he made his money from tips and the others could wait. I got some hateful looks, let me tell you.

I don't blame him for heading straight for a "tipper!" My understanding is that they are not paid by the airline but rely only on tips for their living. I bet that many people using the service just assume that the skycaps are paid employees of the airline, no different than the folks at the counter inside. At least, I WANT to think that and not that they are deliberately stiffing the skycaps.

It is well worth the tip to avoid long inside lines and not to lug the luggage any further!

Peggy

I don't blame him for heading straight for a "tipper!" My understanding is that they are not paid by the airline but rely only on tips for their living. I bet that many people using the service just assume that the skycaps are paid employees of the airline, no different than the folks at the counter inside. At least, I WANT to think that and not that they are deliberately stiffing the skycaps.

I would like to believe that too, but, unfortunately, I don't. Perhaps a sign indicating that tips are the way the skycaps earn a living would help. The fact that they wear hats that do not say anything about SWA should be a hint. :)

Our flight leaves at 7:35 AM and I was wondering what would be a good time to arrive and what time that early in the morning will they actually start check-ins?

We will be arriving by Niagara Air Bus (shuttle service to the airport) at about 5:30 AM (ughhhhhh:( ) do you think we'll get an A or B card?;)

Hi Sammi

I took that flight last Nov. and arrived at the airport at 5:30AM,
we received an A bording card and had no trouble sitting together. We are going again in April same flight.7:35AM. Were also from Canada and often fly Southwest from Buffalo.:Pinkbounc

I have checked in early, about 1.5 hours ahead and have received an A and B pass at the same time. Just the luck of the draw. Check with SWA regarding the suggested time you should arrive at the airport. It is on their website. Sometimes they will not hand out a boarding pass until one hour before, sometimes they will hand them out earlier.

Their website says you should check in at least 1 hour prior to departure............so I hope being early will be helpful.;)

Does everyone start lining up with their "A" cards way before they start bording passengers or can we just sit and wait for them to call the letters out?:confused: Is it a mad dash to get on the plane?

Hi poohbear7 glad to "meet" another Canadian here!:wave: Was the flight you took in November filled or were there seats available?

I'm really looking forward to flying with Southwest after reading about all the great reviews on it here. BUT I'm not looking forward to getting up in the middle of the night to get to the airport!lol:( But it's a lot cheaper than flying from Canada so that makes it all the worthwhile.;)

poohbear7 have you ever used the Niagara Airbus service?

Thanks again for everyone's help.:)

They line up well before their plane even hits the gate. If you get an "a" or "b" pass you could sit it out, but, if you have a "c" pass I would get in line ASAP. Also, if there are a lot of "preboards" I would get in line with the others.

How long before take-off do they usually start bording?

Thanks Gail.:)

Thanks so much Gail for all of your information and I'll let you know how we make out with Southwest when we get back in April.:wave: :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter