Spaceship Earth to close May 26th

Any word how long it will be down? I've seen online estimates as long as 2 years. Is that true? but that would mean it would be down for all of 2021 which would really surprise me. I guess there's no chance for us going in October to ride. My daughter is finally old enough to enjoy this type of ride and i was really looking forward to her getting to ride it. 😞 I guess we'll just have to book a return when its finished.

Last edited:
Any word how long it will be down? I've seen online estimates as long as 2 years. Is that true? but that would mean it would be down for all of 2021 which would really surprise me. I guess theres there's not chance for us to going in October. My daughter is finally old enough to enjoy this type of ride and i was really looking forward to her getting to ride it. 😞 I guess we'll just have to book a return when its finished.
No official word from Disney, unfortunately. The only information we have right now are the current rumors that it could span a couple years.

No official word from Disney, unfortunately. The only information we have right now are the current rumors that it could span a couple years.

Latest rumors seem to have Disney pulling back the scope (not redoing the unload/exit). So they might not even know exactly what they're doing yet.

Latest rumors seem to have Disney pulling back the scope (not redoing the unload/exit). So they might not even know exactly what they're doing yet.

Do you mean the Project Tomorrow area? That's the part that needs to be redone the most! The ride is actually fine if they would just update the show on the screen or just not use it.

Do you mean the Project Tomorrow area? That's the part that needs to be redone the most! The ride is actually fine if they would just update the show on the screen or just not use it.

Sorry, I don't recall specifics. It was Jim Hill on the Disney Dish podcast (most recent one I think).

The permit expires in December 2022. Guessing it will be done before then.

Summer/Fall 2022 would be my guess.

The permit expires in December 2022. Guessing it will be done before then.

Summer/Fall 2022 would be my guess.
Permits aren’t necessarily an indicator of completion. There are times where they go past those dates and where they go well short of those dates. For example Pandora had permits going into the year after the land opened.

The rumors around the unload/exit redo had them actually relocating/reworking the ride track (pulling the exit loop further south, which would extend the length of the ride a bit). That all probably goes away if they're not doing the extensive revamp of the ride system itself that was part of the earliest rumors.

I'd expect a rework of the Project Tomorrow area to happen regardless of the scope of the ride refurb; that's been updated every time Spaceship Earth has been, and it's work that can happen independently of (and in parallel to) work on the ride system and show scenes themselves.

The rumors around the unload/exit redo had them actually relocating/reworking the ride track (pulling the exit loop further south, which would extend the length of the ride a bit). That all probably goes away if they're not doing the extensive revamp of the ride system itself that was part of the earliest rumors.

I'd expect a rework of the Project Tomorrow area to happen regardless of the scope of the ride refurb; that's been updated every time Spaceship Earth has been, and it's work that can happen independently of (and in parallel to) work on the ride system and show scenes themselves.

Oh, actually rerouting the track? That would be major. I also don't think it's necessary. They really need to redo the post-show room though.

Permits aren’t necessarily an indicator of completion. There are times where they go past those dates and where they go well short of those dates. For example Pandora had permits going into the year after the land opened.
Yeah I get that but I still think that’s the best narrative so far on when they expect to be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter