Spaceship Earth to close May 26th

Did they confirm lower case "us" haha?

I guess SE refurb could be done before Mary Poppins.
All recent updates about the show has the lower case us.

Poppins is in limbo. Hasn’t started yet and funds to the project have been halted. Probably still will happen just when is the question.

one thought to throw out there - there has been a lot of chatter/rumors going around that the impact of Shanghai and Hong Kong being closed will be felt at the Stateside resorts - with cutting staffing and closing things early and backing off on construction that hasn't started yet

I wonder if this could impact the timeline for Spaceship Earth
I think a lot of things could be delayed if Disney can’t get the China parks back open again soon, but SSE isn’t in particularly good shape, and it’s iconic. I’m betting they’d scuttle or delay other projects first.

I imagine it will work like when they pulled construction crews off of other projects to work on SWGE: they started with resort refurbs and delayed projects that were already showing signs of problems (MMRR).

Anything they can capitalize though is nowhere near as likely to get cut as an expense. So a new ride or a major overhaul is less likely to be delayed because it barely impacts this fiscal year for Disney, most of the costs are borrowed from future years. But a show or a custodian or painting a wall or running a fountain or using flowers in a planter instead of ground cover, that’s something that counts this year and they can cut.
Just got an update from Martin a trusted insider at WDWMagic.com - per him the redo may not be as extensive as originally planned, including they MAY NOT(please note this is NOT locked) be rerouting the track for load and unload
This is what I’m afraid of, that the plans will be modified to save $$$ and we’ll get the Spaceship Earth version of Soarin’ Over the World....

Was this the first time we've ever heard about the refurb focusing on "light"? I have no doubt the refurb will still take a long time but I'm not sure why I got the impression from this announcement that this refurb isn't the crazy overhaul we all expected when this was first announced. I think maybe the focus on "light" makes it sound like to me this is something they are just going to put some projection mapping in and get a new narrator/narration.

Was this the first time we've ever heard about the refurb focusing on "light"? I have no doubt the refurb will still take a long time but I'm not sure why I got the impression from this announcement that this refurb isn't the crazy overhaul we all expected when this was first announced. I think maybe the focus on "light" makes it sound like to me this is something they are just going to put some projection mapping in and get a new narrator/narration.
I was also a bit confused as well. I recall the D23 announcement stating that it was going to be about "storytelling" throughout history.

I was also a bit confused as well. I recall the D23 announcement stating that it was going to be about "storytelling" throughout history.

D23 also mentioned something about following a light through the whole ride, didn't it? I can't find the specifics on it right now.

D23 also mentioned something about following a light through the whole ride, didn't it? I can't find the specifics on it right now.

I'd love to find stuff about the original announcements as well. Someone posted earlier here about even the ride system getting an overhaul which I feel like I remember as well. However, in the image disney posted in their announcement it looks like the exact same ride cars. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but it was just the vibe I got from disney's announcement about the closing date.

I'd love to find stuff about the original announcements as well. Someone posted earlier here about even the ride system getting an overhaul which I feel like I remember as well. However, in the image disney posted in their announcement it looks like the exact same ride cars. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but it was just the vibe I got from disney's announcement about the closing date.

The only source I saw isn't allowed, but Googling "D23 Spaceship Earth" will bring it up. There will be a "story light" throughout the ride.

So who should be the new narrator of the ride?

If I had my choice it would be Sir Patrick Stewart. No better person to represent planet earth. Second choice would be Ryan Reynolds - very distinctive voice that would work well.

😢 I just saw the rides closing date. My DH is sad that his fave nap spot is closed during our visit. Man Epcot will be a big, hot (travel date: June) mess.

I'm guessing the "light" will all be about the new projection technology they use everywhere. Maybe it won't be down for as long as we originally thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter