special things for your birthday?

hellerjw

DIS Veteran
I was curious how strict Disney/DVC is with monitoring actual birthdays, especially for young kids, when going out of their way to do little special things?

Our son won't turn 5 until October but we are going for a week at AKV this August. Since we are also going next March for a week, during our daughter's actual birthday, we told him that this can be an early trip for his birthday. He is still too young to understand everything completely but the whole sibling rivalry thing he has down pat. So anything we do for sissie, we have to do for him :)

Have any others tried to do a "fake birthday celebration" for a child during one of their stays and did they require any proof for potential special things (little deserts, buttons, etc)?

I was curious how strict Disney/DVC is with monitoring actual birthdays, especially for young kids, when going out of their way to do little special things?

DS has a birthday that consistently falls within the first three days of school. :scared: A few years ago, he got the option of getting an end of summer Disney trip as a two-week-early birthday gift.

Disney is very happy to let you celebrate. THe little special things are little. Mostly all you "get" is cast members telling you happy birthday when you walk by - but we've gotten the occasional cupcake. With a really young child and a birthday a few months away - the birthday greetings might not mean as much - but you are welcome to celebrate early.

Just got back from a "real" birthday celebration for my DD. No proof needed. One thing that went well for us... We were at the WL and ordered a small cake from the bakery. It was precious. I brought a few decorations with me and had the cake delivered at 7:30 am the day of her birthday. When she woke up she had a wonderful birthday cake for breakfast, decorations, and the new digital camera she was wanting, wrapped in a disney character bag. We ate off that cake all week. (put a note on it so the maid doesn't throw it out) I also told the front desk when we checked in that her birthday was the Tuesday of our trip and when we opened the door to leave for the parks there was a balloon on the door handle with a signed card from Beauty attached. We got her button and celebrated all day-with ressies at DD favorite restaurants (Prime Time at MGM and Rainforest Cafe at AK) Great day!!!

They don't check your exact birthday date. They understand that most families only come on special days. I believe going to Disney is a special treat why not treat your child to a birthday a Disney. It's not like they are throwing your child a birthday party at their expense.
pirate:

Hi.
We celebrated our DS's 5th birthday last Oct at WL and it was wonderful. Got to be the flag family!! Before we left for our trip we made a special Mickey birthday t-shirt for our son. He wore it all day. The hotel was informed about his bday, but he only rec'd the bday pin. We planned gifts for him that morning. In Magic Kingdom a CM pulled us out of line at the Big Thunder Rail Road and had us go in the front seat of the ride w/o the wait for the birthday boy. That was great. They sang to him and brought a special treat at dinner in Epcot at the Coral Reef. We had an excellant meal and saw lots of sharks and divers too. We leave for the disney cruise in 24days. We will be on the ship for DH bday. I ordered the bday package for him (banners, cake, decorate the door ect):) .

We've celebrated my dd's birthday at WDW several times now, and both times it has been on the actual day. The resort was told when we made our reservations, as were any restaurants. I have yet to have a resort do anything for a birthday, other than hand out birthday buttons. At restaurants, we have gotten birthday cupcakes, a card or two signed by the characters, a placemat, but that's about it. I like to plan something special for the birthday child. That way, I know something is going to happen. If something unplanned happens, then terrific. That's magical. But I hate leaving it up to chance...so do it, and pay for it, myself..in advance.

I've celebrated many momentous occasions as DVC --- with mention made -- and have never received any acknowledgement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter