Spoodles!! Yes!!

MissD said:
All I can say is that if Chef Tony is anything like Chef Dan, we're in fabulous hands...and it would explain why the Alfredo sauce is so awesome ;)

Tony has also been with Disney for many years. He was at Flying Fish, The Gallery and The Yahtsmen Steakhouse before Spoodles. He's doing an Equisite Dining experience at Epcot on Nov. 10th.
Maybe they do have two!

Here are the pictures I took at Spoodles a few weeks ago.

Sorry, there's one shrimp missing from the stew. I started to eat and remembered the pictures. lol

Boardwalk_011.jpg

Boardwalk_002.jpg

Boardwalk_012.jpg

Boardwalk_013.jpg

Thanks for sharing recent experiences at Spoodles. :thumbsup2 We're looking forward to trying it for the first time next month when we stay at the Boardwalk for a few days. I'd read some mixed reviews on it, so it's good to hear some positive ones! :goodvibes

We had dinner at Spoodles the first week of August. Of the 14 table service restaurants we visited on this trip (DDP is great!), this was our favorite meal. California Grill and Boma ran close seconds. (California Grill may have had favored status for us had our server been more attentive (or at least any degree of attentive), and had they been enforcing their dress code. Judging from the two tables closest to us, we may as well have been eating in a gym. California Grill's loss is Spoodles' gain. It's now what I tell people is our favorite WDW restaurant.)

This was exactly our impression as well.

Spoodles beat out CA Grill just barely and Boma

CPM said:
Tony has also been with Disney for many years. He was at Flying Fish, The Gallery and The Yahtsmen Steakhouse before Spoodles. He's doing an Equisite Dining experience at Epcot on Nov. 10th.
Maybe they do have two!

Aren't we lucky to have them both :cheer2:

My scale may not agree with having two of them , but my tummy sure does :rotfl:

BirdsOfPreyDave...those pix made me drool all over my laptop! :goodvibes

Just found out. Dan is one of the sous chefs and Tony is the chef.
In any case, it seems like a great team. :thumbsup2

Well...not to be the big downer, but just a warning for those attempting Spoodles...we ate there in early August and the service was just inexcusable. If Onsi or Charlie is your server, ask for someone else. I am dead serious. Onsi just didn't give a rip and Charlie was downright condescending and came across as pretty misogynistic. I have several other words in mind, but they're not board appropriate.

That said, Chef Dan was super when we were there---and basically ended up serving us as well as cooking (see above...). I liked the food while we were eating it but didn't feel so good after the fact, but it may have been a reaction to Onsi & Charlie (I don't have the energy to rehash again, so you'll just have to take my word for it).

We won't be going back, but more power to those who can get someone to wait on them there! :lmao:

Oooo thanks for the review. We want to try Spoodles soon on our next trip. Your report convinced us to eat there soon.

spaceacewannabe said:
Well...not to be the big downer, but just a warning for those attempting Spoodles...we ate there in early August and the service was just inexcusable. If Onsi or Charlie is your server, ask for someone else. I am dead serious. Onsi just didn't give a rip and Charlie was downright condescending and came across as pretty misogynistic. I have several other words in mind, but they're not board appropriate.

That said, Chef Dan was super when we were there---and basically ended up serving us as well as cooking (see above...). I liked the food while we were eating it but didn't feel so good after the fact, but it may have been a reaction to Onsi & Charlie (I don't have the energy to rehash again, so you'll just have to take my word for it).

We won't be going back, but more power to those who can get someone to wait on them there! :lmao:

That's too bad. Did you complain?
If you liked the food, why not try again and ask for different servers?
We had incredible service.

We'll be there Sept 27th. Before I made the ADR I checked out the menu and I could have sworn I saw paella on the menu. Now I don't. Do they still serve it? That was the reason I made the ADR. If not, what else is good there?

aubriee said:
We'll be there Sept 27th. Before I made the ADR I checked out the menu and I could have sworn I saw paella on the menu. Now I don't. Do they still serve it? That was the reason I made the ADR. If not, what else is good there?

I don't remember them having Paella. They do have a seafood stew, maybe that's what you saw? I almost got that, I wish I had after seeing the picture of it.
Maybe by the time you go the new menu will be in place.

Glad you liked Spoodles so much. we have eaten there several times over the years and found it very good on most occasions. :)

My family of 5 ate dinner at Spoodles on Thu 8/17. I believe we had Deb as our server. In my opinion, she ruined our dining experience there. My children are 10, 11 and 13, so all 5 of us are considered adults on the DDP. We told her we were going to order 4 full meals, not 5, and she gave us a hard time, telling us that the meal plan wasn't designed for that, blah, blah, blah..... I really think she was thinking that we were trying to somehow "cheat" the system, and save up child meal credits or something like that. (We had shared MANY times previously that week, and EVERY server we encountered was very supportive of our ordering 4 meals for the 5 of us.) I don't think it could have been the "tip" expectation since we ordered a $75 bottle of wine - our sharing had nothing to do with being "tight" with the $$. Anyway, I basically ignored her and ordered only 4 meals. But the kicker was that as I was ordering, she continued to make "recommendations" on what I should or should not order. "Don't order the lamb, it's not very good. You should order the shrimp, it's much better.... You aren't going to order the steak??? Everyone orders the steak, it's really good.... blah, blah, blah". I never *asked* for her recommendations, if I had asked for her advice, then that would have been fine. But it felt like she was steering me to order the more expensive items off the menu, instead of what my family likes. And to top it all off, I asked for more pita bread for the dips appetizer, and she very seriously told me that it would cost extra, and didn't I just want to use the bread from the "free bread basket"???? Well, no, I already ordered a $75 bottle of wine (Cakebread Chardonnay, BTW, it was good) and the $1.99 for the extra pita bread is not gonna break the bank.... She already had a "tab" running for the OOP items (my SIL joined us and we paid for her meal OOP - again, we were not in any way "cheating" on the DDP!), so what was the deal with our waitress anyway? I still don't know what her "problem" was, but her attitude for me pretty much ruined my experience at Spoodles. The food was very good, and plentiful, and even with ordering 4 DDP meals, we still had food left over. By the end of the meal, I think she had lightened up a bit, but it all started out badly, and that kind of set the tone for the rest of the meal.

The food itself was actually very good, but I would not return to Spoodles again, as I feel that the wait service is a very large part of the enjoyment of a meal, and I felt more "put-out" by the staff, rather than welcomed. I know everyone has their own experiences/perceptions, and most reviews for Spoodles are very good (which is part of the reason I chose it), so I am just offering up my own experience. YMMV.

aubriee said:

The seafood paella hasn't been on the menu for about a year now.

The Portuguese Seafood Stew is even better.

I'm glad to hear some really good reviews of Spoodles - seems like their service can be hit or miss, which is disappointing. Hopefully the new Chef will have a way of improving that area?

We have dinner planned there in a couple of weeks - never dined there before. I'm excited to try it!

grgich said:
My family of 5 ate dinner at Spoodles on Thu 8/17. I believe we had Deb as our server. In my opinion, she ruined our dining experience there. My children are 10, 11 and 13, so all 5 of us are considered adults on the DDP. We told her we were going to order 4 full meals, not 5, and she gave us a hard time, telling us that the meal plan wasn't designed for that, blah, blah, blah..... I really think she was thinking that we were trying to somehow "cheat" the system, and save up child meal credits or something like that. (We had shared MANY times previously that week, and EVERY server we encountered was very supportive of our ordering 4 meals for the 5 of us.) I don't think it could have been the "tip" expectation since we ordered a $75 bottle of wine - our sharing had nothing to do with being "tight" with the $$. Anyway, I basically ignored her and ordered only 4 meals. But the kicker was that as I was ordering, she continued to make "recommendations" on what I should or should not order. "Don't order the lamb, it's not very good. You should order the shrimp, it's much better.... You aren't going to order the steak??? Everyone orders the steak, it's really good.... blah, blah, blah". I never *asked* for her recommendations, if I had asked for her advice, then that would have been fine. But it felt like she was steering me to order the more expensive items off the menu, instead of what my family likes. And to top it all off, I asked for more pita bread for the dips appetizer, and she very seriously told me that it would cost extra, and didn't I just want to use the bread from the "free bread basket"???? Well, no, I already ordered a $75 bottle of wine (Cakebread Chardonnay, BTW, it was good) and the $1.99 for the extra pita bread is not gonna break the bank.... She already had a "tab" running for the OOP items (my SIL joined us and we paid for her meal OOP - again, we were not in any way "cheating" on the DDP!), so what was the deal with our waitress anyway? I still don't know what her "problem" was, but her attitude for me pretty much ruined my experience at Spoodles. The food was very good, and plentiful, and even with ordering 4 DDP meals, we still had food left over. By the end of the meal, I think she had lightened up a bit, but it all started out badly, and that kind of set the tone for the rest of the meal.

The food itself was actually very good, but I would not return to Spoodles again, as I feel that the wait service is a very large part of the enjoyment of a meal, and I felt more "put-out" by the staff, rather than welcomed. I know everyone has their own experiences/perceptions, and most reviews for Spoodles are very good (which is part of the reason I chose it), so I am just offering up my own experience. YMMV.

I'm mostly sorry you had a bad experience, but I'm kind of glad they weren't just picking on us at Spoodles! It was the ONLY truly BAD service we've received at WDW (I should knock on wood when I say that!). We had TWO terrible waiters, a bad hostess, and a bad host who showed us to the table. That's at least 4 total DUDS in one place...the odds aren't so good! I'm still disappointed, especially seeing what kind of service others have had (we never got our dips :sad2: our waiter was so MIA).

Yup, poor service stinks anywhere you go.
I have noticed that the service level at WDW in general has gone downhill.

The worst I had was at the Turf Grill at Saratoga Springs. The girl was useless!
She kept telling us it was her first night. It was like she wasn't trained at all. We asked for a certain beer and she had to go and ask if they had it. I told her just to look behind her, they were all displayed on the bar @@. They also told us drinks were not included for a discount with the DDE card, not true. It took five people to get us the discount @@.

It's a shame, they must make decent money.

Cannot_Wait_4Disney said:
The seafood paella hasn't been on the menu for about a year now.

The Portuguese Seafood Stew is even better.

Thanks guys! It looks like that's what I'll be ordering, unless the new chef is able to make some menu changes in the next few weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter