Spoodles!! Yes!!

CPM

<font color=blue>Stands up in the Spider-Man ride
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 We ate at Spoodles on the Boardwalk on Saturday night.
In the past year we have dined there a couple of times and was not too thrilled with it. Menu boring, food was bland, portions small and service slow.
We decided it had been a while and were in the area so we stopped by to give it one last chance. It was packed, but I was able to secure a 9:50 ADR. We were sat at 10:00. It's not a big deal, we are late eaters anyway.

Friendly and efficient server Deb was there to greet us.
We did find the same boring menu.

We started with the Greek salad and a tomato,olive tapanade and fresh mozzerella. Both were excellent!! The Greek salad was larger and fresher & tastier than last time and the flatbread was actually crisp and not soggy like last time.
We also ordered The rigatoni pasta with sauage and portabellas, Fettucini Alfredo, which I had before and disliked very much, but decided to give it another shot. My son also had Mickey pasta alfredo, he ate one bite last time, and I warned him if he ordered it this time he had to eat it.

WELL, we were so pleasantly surprised!! Everything was just so much better. Especially the pastas!! The big difference was in the alfredo, the cheese was just so tasty. It also wasn't lumpy like Alfredos or saucy and sweet like last time we ate at Spoodles. They also weren't all mushy.
My son even ate most of his. What he didn't eat, he took back with him and ate it the next day lol.

We told the server and she told us there is a new chef! He is working on a new menu and will be adding a few new items and changing it seasonally.
We were very impressed and look forward to the new changes that seem to be on the way. This used to be one of our favorite restaurants and hope it will be back at the top of our list again.
Congrats to the new Spoodles Chef, a job well done. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

CPM said:
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 We ate at Spoodles on the Boardwalk on Saturday night.
In the past year we have dined there a couple of times and was not too thrilled with it. Menu boring, food was bland, portions small and service slow.
We decided it had been a while and were in the area so we stopped by to give it one last chance. It was packed, but I was able to secure a 9:50 ADR. We were sat at 10:00. It's not a big deal, we are late eaters anyway.

Friendly and efficient server Deb was there to greet us.
We did find the same boring menu.

We started with the Greek salad and a tomato,olive tapanade and fresh mozzerella. Both were excellent!! The Greek salad was larger and fresher & tastier than last time and the flatbread was actually crisp and not soggy like last time.
We also ordered The rigatoni pasta with sauage and portabellas, Fettucini Alfredo, which I had before and disliked very much, but decided to give it another shot. My son also had Mickey pasta alfredo, he ate one bite last time, and I warned him if he ordered it this time he had to eat it.

WELL, we were so pleasantly surprised!! Everything was just so much better. Especially the pastas!! The big difference was in the alfredo, the cheese was just so tasty. It also wasn't lumpy like Alfredos or saucy and sweet like last time we ate at Spoodles. They also weren't all mushy.
My son even ate most of his. What he didn't eat, he took back with him and ate it the next day lol.

We told the server and she told us there is a new chef! He is working on a new menu and will be adding a few new items and changing it seasonally.
We were very impressed and look forward to the new changes that seem to be on the way. This used to be one of our favorite restaurants and hope it will be back at the top of our list again.
Congrats to the new Spoodles Chef, a job well done. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Thanks for the quick review. We have an ADR at Spoodles next week. I'm looking forward to it.

It may be time to try Spoodles again. We did them about a year and a half ago and were not impressed--it wasn't awful, but definitely not something we'd want to do again, either. But it looks like the new chef may have turned things around.

Caren said:
It may be time to try Spoodles again. We did them about a year and a half ago and were not impressed--it wasn't awful, but definitely not something we'd want to do again, either. But it looks like the new chef may have turned things around.

It was really a huge difference. I can't wait for the new menu. I won't be up until Oct. I hope it's there by then.

lovehoney said:
Thanks for the quick review. We have an ADR at Spoodles next week. I'm looking forward to it.

Let us know what you think.

Glad to read this. We've loved Spoodles since Day One, but were very worried when Chef Marianne Hummel left. Now, we're looking forward to our upcoming visit in February.

We met the new chef at Spoodles when we were at WDW a few weeks ago. My DS12 has food allergies, and Chef Dan took the time to come to our table and discuss the menu options for him. We were very impressed with his level of concern and commitment....and the food was absolutely fantastic!

The Fettucine Alfredo was the best I've ever had...and my hard-to-please DH enjoyed the meal so much, we ended up back at Spoodles for dinner 2 days later! Thanks, Chef Dan! :thumbsup2

We're looking forward to another visit to Spoodles on our trip next month! :banana:

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I have not been to Spoodles for years. When I first went there 10 years ago, Fettucini Alfredo would have never been on the menu. The fact that it is would be the reason I do not go back now. So sad. I remember the tapas and larger variety of flatbreads. They had a wonderful hummus and mussels and a huge selection of international wines, particlarly by the glass. There seafood entrees were to die for. They also had one of the best breakfast buffets at WDW. Years ago it went to average at best. I have not returned since.

Thanks for the review! We're looking forward to trying Spoodles for the first time soon, so it's nice to hear that the new chef is doing a great job. :)

We had dinner at Spoodles the first week of August. Of the 14 table service restaurants we visited on this trip (DDP is great!), this was our favorite meal. California Grill and Boma ran close seconds. (California Grill may have had favored status for us had our server been more attentive (or at least any degree of attentive), and had they been enforcing their dress code. Judging from the two tables closest to us, we may as well have been eating in a gym. California Grill's loss is Spoodles' gain. It's now what I tell people is our favorite WDW restaurant.)

The two of us were fighting over the last of the Mediterranian Dips, they were that good. The Grilled Lamb Kefta was good, but was outshined by the dips. The Portuguese Seafood Stew we both had as appetizers was absolutely fantastic. I have no idea how they got the calamari in it to be so tender and flavorful. I almost started to pick it out, thinking they'd be like rubber bands after stewing. I'm glad I didn't because they were one of the best parts of the dish.

The dessert tray was beautiful -- I wish I had the picture here at work to post. I was a little disappointed with my Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee -- it tasted a little too burnt to me, but I didn't say anything because I thought it might just be my unsophisticated pallet not enjoying it the way it was supposed to be. Instead, I look on with envy as my roommate devoured his Chocolate Apricot Pistachio Cake.

dizfanz said:
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I have not been to Spoodles for years. When I first went there 10 years ago, Fettucini Alfredo would have never been on the menu. The fact that it is would be the reason I do not go back now. So sad. I remember the tapas and larger variety of flatbreads. They had a wonderful hummus and mussels and a huge selection of international wines, particlarly by the glass. There seafood entrees were to die for. They also had one of the best breakfast buffets at WDW. Years ago it went to average at best. I have not returned since.

That's the Spoodles I loved too - we used to love to go for Tapas. I hope they bring that back with the change of Chefs. We quit going when the menu dulled down.

We ate at Spoodles for the first time last Wednesday night. I had the Fettucine Alfredo because we were on the free dining plan and I didn't feel like eating any more meat...LOL. I thought the Fettucine tasted different than any I had ever tasted. Did anyone else find that it was a bit tangy, like maybe it had lemon juice? A strange question but I'm really curious. Anyway, we enjoyed our meal here, I only ate about 1/3 of my meal to save room for desert. It was the white chocolate and orange something..LOL..can't remember but it was quite good, orangey and light. It also looked beautiful.

Leota said:
That's the Spoodles I loved too - we used to love to go for Tapas. I hope they bring that back with the change of Chefs. We quit going when the menu dulled down.

I didn't get the feeling that was going to happen. he did mention adding a couple more flatbreads, apps and pasta.
I think the reason they originally changed it was because most people wanted meals.
He did mention maybe changing the breakfast. I guess it takes months to change anything at WDW, lots of red tape.

MissD said:
We met the new chef at Spoodles when we were at WDW a few weeks ago. My DS12 has food allergies, and Chef Dan took the time to come to our table and discuss the menu options for him. We were very impressed with his level of concern and commitment....and the food was absolutely fantastic!

The Fettucine Alfredo was the best I've ever had...and my hard-to-please DH enjoyed the meal so much, we ended up back at Spoodles for dinner 2 days later! Thanks, Chef Dan! :thumbsup2

We're looking forward to another visit to Spoodles on our trip next month! :banana:

I have his business card, the name on it is Chef Tony Marotta.

Tony? Dan? Which is it? I'd be so embarassed to call him by the wrong name! :rotfl:

bicker said:
Tony? Dan? Which is it? I'd be so embarassed to call him by the wrong name! :rotfl:

We were given a business card as well ..the name on ours is Daniel (Dan) Marozzi.

Could there be two new chefs with such similar names? Maybe it's as simple as that.

Chef Dan has been with WDW for many years and when we met him (Aug 1st) he had just returned from a 3 week trip to Niagara Falls.

Prior to Spoodles, he had been at WWoS. He spent a lot of time speaking with my son about professional athletes and their attention to nutrition, healthy foods and all that 'stuff'. Since the reason for our trip was for my son to see the TB Bucs training camp, he was all ears for Chef Dan and his stories. :thumbsup2

All I can say is that if Chef Tony is anything like Chef Dan, we're in fabulous hands...and it would explain why the Alfredo sauce is so awesome ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter