Still locked down this fall?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
Someone I know in the healthcare industry told me she thinks schools/businesses will STILL be shut down come fall. If this ends up being the case I am at a loss for words. In MI they have started shutting down summer events such as the Auto show in June.

How will people make it? Not just mentally but that $1200 check and unemployment won't go that far for the people who need it, which by then will be a whole LOT of people.

I wouldn't be surprised. If this is a bell curve and where we are now is at a lower point going up, I'd expect to still be in social distancing if we're at the other point on the bell curve heading down. The part in between will take a long time to play out IMHO. Hope I'm wrong.

I’m self employed our work the last has been steady I do commercial flooring
And I’m very blessed and thankful for it.

I hope this doesn’t happen being locked down or on hold for months if that happens at some point
The government will not be much help there.
Just my opinion

If that's the case I see a lot of foreclosures and evictions in the future. All businesses will be effected negatively.

Someone I know in the healthcare industry told me she thinks schools/businesses will STILL be shut down come fall. If this ends up being the case I am at a loss for words. In MI they have started shutting down summer events such as the Auto show in June.

How will people make it? Not just mentally but that $1200 check and unemployment won't go that far for the people who need it, which by then will be a whole LOT of people.
They canceled the Auto Show because they are using the venue as a field hospital.

Maybe I have blinders on, but I just don't see that happening for many reasons.

1. The economy could never take that long of a hit.

2. You don't have to wait out the entire curve -- they want the roller coaster to be bunny hills, not one big Millennium Force drop (big roller coaster for you non Cedar Point fans.)

3. I haven't heard any scientist say that long. Fauci and Acton (Ohio) say late April to mid May as the peak. I think we will open gradually. Maybe big arenas may take a delay, but I can't fathom all of us still on shelter in place for 6 months.

4. If anything I see we could open for a while, see another surge, and then go back to shelter in place. :confused3

Last edited:

I don’t think anyone knows for sure. But if it makes you feel any better my husband is an ICU Dr. on the frontlines and he and his group are guessing on a peak late April to mid May for our area. This is completely a guess based on current and projected numbers and only works if people truly shelter in place (our city is currently one week into a 2 week shelter in place order in TN and schools out until at least April 24) but it makes me feel a little hopeful.

No clue what to expect. I hear they are talking about making the football season in July, under the notion there is less risk in the heat. I will tell you, there is no way in hades I would attend a football game in the southeast before Labor Day, talk about pure misery!

I don't think there is really much chance of that. We don't have the appetite for that kind of social isolation, IMO. My guess is that regardless of the trajectory this takes, by mid/late May, people will be fed up with being locked in their homes. And when faced with the choice between martial law and arresting people for going to the park or relaxing isolation measures and claiming the crisis has passed (whether or not it has), governments will choose the latter.

And the auto show cancellation has nothing to do with the expected duration of the shut downs. They're using Cobo as a field hospital, which is going to involve extensive set up (and eventually, take down) that will almost certainly run into the time when the auto show preparations would have begun. That, likely combined with the feeling that there's not going to be much appetite for crowded international events just a few months from now, is why the show was cancelled now. Before the decision to use Cobo as the field hospital site, the organizers were taking a wait-and-see posture.

I don't think there is really much chance of that. We don't have the appetite for that kind of social isolation, IMO. My guess is that regardless of the trajectory this takes, by mid/late May, people will be fed up with being locked in their homes. And when faced with the choice between martial law and arresting people for going to the park or relaxing isolation measures and claiming the crisis has passed (whether or not it has), governments will choose the latter.

And the auto show cancellation has nothing to do with the expected duration of the shut downs. They're using Cobo as a field hospital, which is going to involve extensive set up (and eventually, take down) that will almost certainly run into the time when the auto show preparations would have begun. That, likely combined with the feeling that there's not going to be much appetite for crowded international events just a few months from now, is why the show was cancelled now. Before the decision to use Cobo as the field hospital site, the organizers were taking a wait-and-see posture.

Thank you. I am so worried this will be ongoing with no end in sight. I guess I'm starting to go a little stir crazy.

I believe that we ll be in this for s while as well. I think fall season may not be Unrealistic at this point
Stay In, Stay Healthy!

Shout out to those on the front line..
THANK YOU!

I don't think we will be business as usually until the fall or later. I also don't think we will be on complete stay at home/shelter in place for the entire time either. I think in 6 - 8 weeks we will see some of the restrictions lifted and they will do a wait and see approach before lifting additional restrictions. If they see a sharp rise in cases at any point, the restrictions will be be put back in place.

Our govorner did say she will let us know at a later date if schools could be reopened in August. More or less though I think she didn't want to make that announcement now or allude that there would be no issues when she didn't have a clue where we would be at in late July/early August when school enrollment, school shopping and the like start back up. I really don't know myself where we will be in the Fall but I suspect certain things will be more impacted than others.

I doubt we will hold a Grand Opening. I do believe restrictions will gradually loosen up and be tolerable by mid summer..if not before. I also think, we may have to social distance or possibly "stay home" again before we get a vaccine. Hopefully we will be a little more experienced and make it work even better the next rime around.

Last edited:
Should have had a national shelter in place that everyone should have followed. Maybe could have been over sooner if everyone participated.
I don't think a one size fits all would work. Possibly, if they had developed different tiers. What works in Rural Texas...not so much in Chicago or NYC. JMO

Last edited:
I don't think a one size fits all would work. Possibly, if the had developed different tiers. What works in Rural Texas...not so much in Chicago or NYC. JMO

Maybe. I dont know. What would the harm had been if everyone did it to save each other?

Chicago had the first baby die today.

Doesn't matter anymore I guess! The monster has gotten too big and it's coming for everybody. I hope even the smallest towns prepare and have enough ICU beds.

Going back to my May 2021 planning thread :D...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter