Still locked down this fall?

IMO This is much bigger than college students returning home. This is about cases in hot spots fleeing and driving across country.
Now it is because college campuses are mostly shut down anyways..the same can't be said for how the spread got to those areas in the first place and it's a very real possibility IMO the spread occurred or occurred faster as a result of college students being sent home; couldn't say every single place in the U.S. of course, but a real possibility to at least some areas. And the spread is what you were talking about. Like I said though I think they are relevant to the spread but certainly aren't the only reason.

But yes it is an issue with leaving one area to another if there isn't any consideration done for that decision.

Now it is because college campuses are mostly shut down anyways..the same can't be said for how the spread got to those areas in the first place and it's a very real possibility IMO the spread occurred or occurred faster as a result of college students being sent home; couldn't say every single place in the U.S. of course, but a real possibility to at least some areas. And the spread is what you were talking about. Like I said though I think they are relevant to the spread but certainly aren't the only reason.

But yes it is an issue with leaving one area to another if there isn't any consideration done for that decision.
Looking at the spread map a few days ago Cali and Washington, jump over to Texas and NOLA then New York down to Florida. We've now doubled the death rate and will be filling in the flyover states. Although, the majority with COVID have mild symptoms and recover at home.

Other than a bit more stringently advised...precautions are much the same.

Dont Panic
Wash your hands and don't touch your face
Do the vampire cough
Stay home if you are unwell
Stay away from sick people

I think everything depends on how well people follow government orders. Nice weather will test people’s social distancing.

I think everything depends on how well people follow government orders. Nice weather will test people’s social distancing.
Hopefully nice hot humid weather will slow the spread. If so, it will buy us some time.

Looking at the spread map a few days ago Cali and Washington, jump over to Texas and NOLA then New York down to Florida. We've now doubled the death rate and will be filling in the flyover states. Although, the majority with COVID have mild symptoms and recover at home.

Dont Panic
Do the vampire cough

one of my concerns is over what is considered essential workforce-it seems like almost everything in washington is on the list so that isn't limiting as many people to shelter in place as could be achieved with more restrictive criteria. i know people need to work and earn a living and i know some businesses are seeing a tremendous demand for staff but we are also seeing people who would traditionally stay at home (retirees) or be staying at home for the next week or two (spring break students) or those on paid leave with no day to day job duties (some education staff) rushing out of their homes joining the workforce b/c impacted employers are offering sign up bonuses and entry level wages of several dollars over minimum. people are enticed by a $20 per hour job and it clouds their judgement on limiting exposure.

The places I'm talking about had their students mostly on campus and then kicked them out.

Some did have Spring Break and the students were able to get to their dorms to get needed things. That still probably led to exposure when they were in picking their stuff up.

I believe the thoughtprocess to the longer spring break was related to the 14 days incubation period. My alma mater was like that. It was Spring Break, then a week off, then online classes begin rather than in person. But you are correct that wouldn't have prevented spread from the dorms or whatnot but it helped more for those large classroom settings as social distancing could not have occurred to be online vs in person.

Unrealistic though it may be the better thing would to have tested the students before allowing movement either way. We didn't near enough tests and still don't but it would have been a better way to figure out who was positive, especially asymptomatic carriers, before letting them go.

Any of those students sent home their entire family within their household should have self-quarantined for 14 days (no leaving the house, no guests) but that wasn't really a consideration. Nor was households that had high risk family members.

That's still a "not in my backyard". You don't have to think of that as a big negative it's just a part of our human nature. So again you are considering your area..but what about the areas of out there where the students come from. You're sending them there when their area may not be able to adequately deal with a spread that was brought there. It was about keeping your area xyz..but what about the other areas which represent far more than just yours. I totally get the concern because that's where we're at with the hospitals now it's just that concern is throughout the whole U.S. these days.
How long were you going to keep those students cooped up in dorms, many of them living in very tight quarters with other non family members who may or may not follow quarantine rules? Were you going to coop them up all summer? Were you going to have them get sick with no access to OTC meds or family to help care for them?

I have said it before, but it is going to be interesting when all of the working from home people are no longer working from home because their respective companies' revenues have been cut so severely the company cannot make payroll. People are going to get restless very quickly at that point.

It is starting, people/clients/companies are asking for extension of payment terms. Maintaining cash flow even for successful businesses is going to be a challenge.

(I realize some industries will not be impacted and a few may benefit. But plenty won't.)

Last edited:
How long were you going to keep those students cooped up in dorms, many of them living in very tight quarters with other non family members who may or may not follow quarantine rules? Were you going to coop them up all summer? Were you going to have them get sick with no access to OTC meds or family to help care for them?
Oh come on now..you know you're just going to extremes. You know what I meant :)

Dont Panic
Do the vampire cough
Vampire cough ok that got me laughing lol.

I'm trying to figure out what you were conveying here. My apologies I'm not understanding.

If we're talking about people leaving those places and going else where I don't think movement is advisable but I can't also disagree with someone who says "I have a second home, I'm stocked up, I'm driving and I'm not leaving that property one I get there for a few weeks" I think it's a possibility for sure that people leaving one spot and going to another will spread it but I can see situations where it's not as cut and dry. There is a thread out there on vacation/secondary homes regarding this topic.

If we do this through the fall unemployment will be at 40-60%. There will be looting and rioting. People will be killing each other over necessary resources. Unless the government plans on paying everyone their full income and ensure they don’t lose their homes. Never mind the virus.

Vampire cough ok that got me laughing lol.

I'm trying to figure out what you were conveying here. My apologies I'm not understanding.

If we're talking about people leaving those places and going else where I don't think movement is advisable but I can't also disagree with someone who says "I have a second home, I'm stocked up, I'm driving and I'm not leaving that property one I get there for a few weeks" I think it's a possibility for sure that people leaving one spot and going to another will spread it but I can see situations where it's not as cut and dry. There is a thread out there on vacation/secondary homes regarding this topic.
We have hot spots that need extra attention. Nothing has changed much on how to avoid transmission. Although currently we are asked or ordered to stay home. Some are ignoring this request. Instead of flying..they are driving. Is this making the spread worse? We've seen the models...how many ONE can infect.

I don't think we can stop people from going to second homes. Florida has stopped rentals for a least a few weeks. Maybe, other places might consider this to encourage non essential travel.

I really don't. If you don't think they should have sent college students home when they did, then when should they have sent them home?
I don't think they should that was the point I guess. I'm not talking about indefinitely. But sending them home in March without testing (which I know wasn't realistic), without concern to anyone at their home that might have been higher risk (of which my husband's family has multiple people, including one on chemo, so that would have been a no no if there were college students in my husband's family at that time), to any concern to their home community wasn't probably the best option IF we were trying to control, contain and reduce spread throughout. I don't think the colleges were thinking about controling, containing or reducing spread to the student's home communities though.

There's no doubt spread would have occurred there in the colleges, but consider our area there's a possibility that multiple people from K-State, KU, Mizzou, etc could have spread it to here just by being sent home (and also yes if they voluntarily came home). Would they have come home at some point? Of course, but they were sent home and then no precautions were done afterwards. Our community spread in the metro started March 13th (known parameters because we know the testing has been iffy here), but it wasn't long before it spread even more. Prior to that on the KS side it was travel related and there wasn't any in the metro known but one woman in her 50s a week prior. Absolutely more prevalent the testing higher numbers. But we stopped being as careful about testing when the community spread occurred because we needed to ration those tests. By the way heard we were getting 50K test kits. I'm hoping that helps out our area :)

I do know that KU had advised students traveling from Italy in early March to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival back home. I don't think colleges who did this all made a point to say that for all students who were leaving for home. Maybe the thought process was "it's not that high of a priority" but that's because the consideration for asymptomatic carriers may not have been thought of. I'm not invalidating your concerns about OTC meds, non-family members, etc. I do think the higher priority always should have been to reduce the spread and how far reaching it would get. I recognize not all will agree with that.

I don't think they should that was the point I guess. I'm not talking about indefinitely. But sending them home in March without testing (which I know wasn't realistic), without concern to anyone at their home that might have been higher risk (of which my husband's family has multiple people, including one on chemo, so that would have been a no no if there were college students in my husband's family at that time), to any concern to their home community wasn't probably the best option IF we were trying to control, contain and reduce spread throughout. I don't think the colleges were thinking about controling, containing or reducing spread to the student's home communities though.

There's no doubt spread would have occurred there in the colleges, but consider our area there's a possibility that multiple people from K-State, KU, Mizzou, etc could have spread it to here just by being sent home (and also yes if they voluntarily came home). Would they have come home at some point? Of course, but they were sent home and then no precautions were done afterwards. Our community spread in the metro started March 13th (known parameters because we know the testing has been iffy here), but it wasn't long before it spread even more. Prior to that on the KS side it was travel related and there wasn't any in the metro known but one woman in her 50s a week prior. Absolutely more prevalent the testing higher numbers. But we stopped being as careful about testing when the community spread occurred because we needed to ration those tests. By the way heard we were getting 50K test kits. I'm hoping that helps out our area :)

I do know that KU had advised students traveling from Italy in early March to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival back home. I don't think colleges who did this all made a point to say that for all students who were leaving for home. Maybe the thought process was "it's not that high of a priority" but that's because the consideration for asymptomatic carriers may not have been thought of. I'm not invalidating your concerns about OTC meds, non-family members, etc. I do think the higher priority always should have been to reduce the spread and how far reaching it would get. I recognize not all will agree with that.

I think colleges basically HAD to either send students home or cancel spring breaks & any of their college-sponsored trips.

This hit right at the time colleges were beginning their spring breaks. They could NOT let the students go home for spring break for a week & possibly be exposed to the virus. And, then after spring breaks from all over the country & partying on the beaches, bring everybody back to campus, & then be responsible for not only the students who became sick w/ the virus but also then the students who were exposed.

College dorms are just like the cruise ships.

We have hot spots that need extra attention. Nothing has changed much on how to avoid transmission. Although currently we are asked or ordered to stay home. Some are ignoring this request. Instead of flying..they are driving. Is this making the spread worse? We've seen the models...how many ONE can infect.

I don't think we can stop people from going to second homes. Florida has stopped rentals for a least a few weeks. Maybe, other places might consider this to encourage non essential travel.
Ahh yes well I do see what you mean. I agree with you though I also think in some instances it's not the worst of the worst ya know? Like I mentioned with the people I saw on the other thread mentioning isolating themselves for 14 days (or longer) or mentioning if someone were to do that. We've been able to stay home for 7,8,9 days at a time but then we need more milk for instance (like today milk went bad husband went to store to get more and to get a few other things) or this or that but if someone were to leave and isolate for 14 days at least not going out that might be better than staying at home and continuing to go out in their home area to get xyz. I'm not advocating for people to do that but I can see where that might not present as great of a risk for spread. It's def. a quandry when considering being under a stay at home order and picking up and leaving and isolating for a long while versus just going out for an activity counted as essential repeatedly within a 14day period.

I think there's been some communities that they've tried to stop or are stopping non-full time residents who own property in said areas. I'm sure those are seen as controversial though either way because both sides have validity in their reasons.

There's 2 different paths to civil unrest.

A) People rebel against the lock down

B) People rebel against not being able to get care for their dying family members. More emotional and violent.

I think this is what is trying to get balanced. With everything considered both paths dent the economy, possibly by different amounts though not necessarily.

I think colleges basically HAD to either send students home or cancel spring breaks & any of their college-sponsored trips.

This hit right at the time colleges were beginning their spring breaks. They could NOT let the students go home for spring break for a week & possibly be exposed to the virus. And, then after spring breaks from all over the country & partying on the beaches, bring everybody back to campus, & then be responsible for not only the students who became sick w/ the virus but also then the students who were exposed.

College dorms are just like the cruise ships.
For my alma mater it was spring break, week off, then resume classes but they be online only. They specifically said that it was to align with the 14 day incubation period so they were considering that aspect. Students don't have to leave the dorms for any break but winter at my alma mater so it wouldn't be guaranteed all students or majority would have gone home; of course there would have been students that did absolutely no doubt and ones that traveled no doubt. Absolutely not all colleges have the same schedule or requirement about spring break (not moving out of dorms).

I think we have to go with the assumption that those students were already infected while in the dorms from somewhere or someone prior to being sent home..isn't that the message we've been hearing for a while that we all have to act like we already have it? This all kinda hit at the worst time I agree with you. I think it shifted the problem from one area to another is all.

With the cruise ships didn't they say the proper way, as we know it now, would have been to test those on the ship and get the positives quickly out and quarantine them? My state's recommendation on March 18th was for anyone who came back on or after March 15th from a cruise (amongst other places) should self-isolate for 14 days but that had already been advised in other areas I believe the CDC had that recommendation prior to that.

Dorms can be like cruise ships agree why didn't we treat them like one though and test before letting them go home? We know the answer to that because realistically we didn't have anywhere near the level of testing and our testing wasn't being prioritized to non-symptomatic people. Why didn't we tell them as a whole they need to go home and quarantine for 14 days? I dunno on that one other than me thinking that they probably weren't even thinking about aspect.

On your school sponsored I think many already had been or were planning on doing that especially once the limit to number of people in a given gathering was mentioned but I concede the exact timeline has been hard to follow lately lol.

**I think I'll probably leave it at that just because I don't want to go back and forth on the topic too much more :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter