Stroller rules to be enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well according to a quick Google search the American Academy of Pediatrics says a child should be transitioning out of a stroller by 3 years old.

And yes, there are weight limits set by the manufacturer and most kids will follow those weight limits according to their age. According to the Keenz website their wagons hold 55 lbs per seat. The city mini stroller has a weight limit of 50 lbs.

False. Not what they say (actually can't find any stance they take, besides a blurb here and there that they don't take a stance)..... Not sure why I thought you had stats to back up your claim (I'm sure you've got a link ready to go, right?). That's on me.....

I'd like to see some stats showing that there is an age limit on using strollers while at WDW. I'll even settle for general theme park.... Or we could just keep using anecdotal stories in lieu of science to judge.....

You seem defensive for someone who claims to not care about other's opinions. And for what it's worth I don't care if you put your 13 year old in a stroller. I'm not at Disney to stare at other people's kids. I just wanted to point out that there are guidelines for a reason. Otherwise we would have 6 year olds walking around in diapers. :wave2:

I get rather annoyed with the judging.

guidelines are just that, guidelines..they aren't rules. And most parents will tell you they don't need a guideline to get a kid out of diapers.....

btw I would 100% agree with most people about 6 year olds in strollers if you saw them at malls and other places on a consistent basis, but we're talking about a place that's hot, humid, and people walk miles on a special occasion.

False. Not what they say (actually can't find any stance they take, besides a blurb here and there that they don't take a stance)..... Not sure why I thought you had stats to back up your claim (I'm sure you've got a link ready to go, right?). That's on me.....

I'd like to see some stats showing that there is an age limit on using strollers while at WDW. I'll even settle for general theme park.... Or we could just keep using anecdotal stories in lieu of science to judge.....

Let me ask you...if I found an article saying your 7 year old (or whatever age your child is) shouldn't be using a stroller at Disney would you stop doing it? No. Your mind is made up and that's A-okay with me. But you are going to run into judgmental people when you do something that isn't the norm. That shouldn't shock you.

I mean....there are guidelines set by the manufacturers and by professionals for when children should no longer use strollers. It's not like people are just picking a random age out of a hat for when it's no longer acceptable.

I have seen manufacturer weight and height limits for strollers, but not age limits. A Citi Mini GT double can hold up to 100 pounds, which is still more than both my girls combined, and they are 9 and 7. Even the AAP as you mentioned provides only a recommendation, not a guideline, and even that is just in the context of regular daily use.

Let me ask you...if I found an article saying your 7 year old (or whatever age your child is) shouldn't be using a stroller at Disney would you stop doing it? No. Your mind is made up and that's A-okay with me. But you are going to run into judgmental people when you do something that isn't the norm. That shouldn't shock you.

So, you just made it up?

Conversely, If I found (made up) and article that said it was ok, would you do it?

Personally, we can't wait until our trip this summer which will be our first one without a stroller since our youngest will be 5. But I won't tell another family when to stop using one.....Guess that's the difference....

So, you just made it up?

Conversely, If I found (made up) and article that said it was ok, would you do it?

Personally, we can't wait until our trip this summer which will be our first one without a stroller since our youngest will be 5. But I won't tell another family when to stop using one.....Guess that's the difference....

And for the millionth time I don't care what you do. I really, reaaaally don't. Nobody is telling you not to bring one. Literally...not one person here has said that.

I think this is a tough thread to read and not have some judgement. It's human nature.

This will sound like a joke, but it's true.

When I was 8 years old if my friends saw me being pushed in a stroller I would get beat up the next day at school...lol. I'm 100% serious.

People have given some good reasons in this thread and I can respect their reasons. I can respect that it's their choice what to do with their kids. But understand it's still a head scratcher for many of us. No need for anyone to get angry.

I think most of us agree that a 6 year old shouldn't be riding around in strollers on a daily basis, and i don't think most of us allow our 6 year olds to do that on a daily basis. But if my 6 year old is going to ride around in a stroller for a few hours a day for a week at disney, he's not going to be obese from it, or become a lazy child because of it.

I think most of us agree that a 6 year old shouldn't be riding around in strollers on a daily basis, and i don't think most of us allow our 6 year olds to do that on a daily basis. But if my 6 year old is going to ride around in a stroller for a few hours a day for a week at disney, he's not going to be obese from it, or become a lazy child because of it.

I didn't say they would. :confused3 I think you may be confusing me with someone else. I just jumped into the conversation on page 25. Lol

the article you posted talks about the long term effects......but fair enough....

I don't think parents who let their older children ride in strollers are raising spoiled brats and I don't think the children are lazy. Some might be but that wouldn't be my first thought. Again, when you see something that is out of the norm it catches your attention. That's all I'm saying. I'm not judging anyone specifically...you're kid is just going to get more looks.

You just posted a link to an article of a woman’s tumblr account where she takes photos of children out in public and posts them online to make fun of them.

So you didn't read past the first 2 paragraphs where they quote the pediatricians and the spokesperson for the AAP? I'm so shocked!

Then I’m sure you’ll notice this in the article:

“Though the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't have official guidelines for when to stop using a stroller”

Which contradicts you saying they had one...

My point is I don’t get the judgment or the expectation of it. I don’t judge others even though in my case I can’t wait until my first trip without one this year.

So you didn't read past the first 2 paragraphs where they quote the pediatricians and the spokesperson for the AAP? I'm so shocked!

No need for sarcasm. Half the article was about the lady’s tumblr account of photos of strangers children.

The DR says to stop dependency on strollers around age 3 which is what I did.

I don’t even own a stroller anymore. Just rent one for my daughter and occasionally my son to use there. They exercise, play sports, we live in an urban area and walk to school and back. I just don’t think a once a year trip to Disney with a bit of stroller use has any long term effect on their health. And people shouldn’t give strange looks or take photos of my kids to mock online like that lady did.

No need for sarcasm. Half the article was about the lady’s tumblr account of photos of strangers children.

The DR says to stop dependency on strollers around age 3 which is what I did.

I don’t even own a stroller anymore. Just rent one for my daughter and occasionally my son to use there. They exercise, play sports, we live in an urban area and walk to school and back. I just don’t think a once a year trip to Disney with a bit of stroller use has any long term effect on their health. And people shouldn’t give strange looks or take photos of my kids to mock online like that lady did.

Not to mention the article literally says nothing about a 12 hour day in the worlds busiest theme park. If it did, I could see the relevance....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter