• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller rules to be enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I’m sure you’ll notice this in the article:

“Though the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't have official guidelines for when to stop using a stroller”

Which contradicts you saying they had one...

My point is I don’t get the judgment or the expectation of it. I don’t judge others even though in my case I can’t wait until my first trip without one this year.

You conveniently left off the second half of that sentence in your quote. I'm sure that wasn't intentional.

I'm not judging you. You are going to get looks. That's normal. It's no different than seeing someone covered in tattoos and 50 piercings. People are going to notice. And since MOST kids over 6 or 7 aren't in strollers anymore people are going to notice. You are confusing me pointing out that fact with me judging you for it.

I'm seeing a lot of comments about kids being pushed to their limits as a reason for big strollers. Most of us are all too familiar with this. Yes, everyone, regardless of age, has limits. Often kids are sound asleep in their strollers on the way out of the park at closing time, but there's also a fair number of cranky toddlers screaming and carrying on. Not the child's fault and it's not Disney's fault. I blame the parents that don't have the good common sense to pace themselves and take a mid-day break back at their resort. Rope drop to closing in crowds and summer heat will take its toll and anyone. Just because a parent wants to go "commando," they shouldn't drag their toddler along.
My toddler loves commando style, she even outlasts my wife ;). We gave up on going back to the resort when she was 11mo because she would never nap but she would in the front harness. At 2.5 and 3 she didn't nap at all and did open to close every day for a week. Actually the last trip she only cried once the whole trip. And the vast majority of the time the stroller is parked.

So, every kid is different.

My toddler loves commando style, she even outlasts my wife ;). We gave up on going back to the resort when she was 11mo because she would never nap but she would in the front harness. At 2.5 and 3 she didn't nap at all and did open to close every day for a week. Actually the last trip she only cried once the whole trip. And the vast majority of the time the stroller is parked.

So, every kid is different.

Our first trip with kids, ours were 1 and 2, we built in time to go back to the room for naps. when we got back to the room, our kids were chasing their grandpa around the room! lol.

Just for fun (ha..) I went on YouTube and picked a year -- 1992 -- searched for "Magic Kingdom 1992" and looked at some home movies of the crowds and pathways, just to compare the volume/amount, and sizes, of strollers in the parks, and strollers parked by rides and restaurants... it was still very very crowded, but, very very different. What's changed between then and now...? I dunno. Just an observation. I personally would have preferred the option of a more minimalistic, compact stroller when my kids were born but at the time it was difficult to even find anything I really liked. So I was happy when I was able to kick them to the curb and use the single umbrella only.
You kicked your kids to the curb just because you didn't like their strollers? :P

You conveniently left off the second half of that sentence in your quote. I'm sure that wasn't intentional.

I'm not judging you. You are going to get looks. That's normal. It's no different than seeing someone covered in tattoos and 50 piercings. People are going to notice. And since MOST kids over 6 or 7 aren't in strollers anymore people are going to notice. You are confusing me pointing out that fact with me judging you for it.

Just included the part that refuted your claim.......Again, there is no AAP stance on the matter. For what that is worth...

If anyone wants some LOLs the Keenz instagram page is full of them. Goodness gracious. My friend is also in a fb group where people are saying they will show up en mass and flood Disney with Keenz so no CMs can stop them. Okayyyyy. Let us all know how that works out for you!

It’ll be interesting to see if any real hysterics are shown. My guess is most people that show up with one won’t argue/fuss much when told no because they probably didn’t realize the new rules and aren’t there to fight a cast member or cause problems. At least I hope thats true for the CMs sake!

Perhaps people who hate strollers so much shouldn't go to Disney. It's poor, selfish planning going to a place that caters to kids and expect to not see strollers.

Sesame Place caters to kids.

Disney World, arguably, caters to OLDER KIDS and adults WAY more than to the 5 and under set. Just look at the number of rides with height requirements, the plethora of adult dining and beverage locations, etc.

I have no problem with stroller use for young kids, for which strollers are designed and intended.

I understand that you linked an unrelated article that included an irrelevant quote that you claimed refers to a guideline which doesn't exist.

Google what the appropriate age is to no longer be in a stroller. I guarantee you won't find a single article that says over the age of 5.

Google what the appropriate age is to no longer be in a stroller. I guarantee you won't find a single article that says over the age of 5.

Who cares? Personally I'm not a big fan of the giant strollers or people who run into me with them. I don't know where you live but I live in the United States of America and if someone wants to use a stroller for their 204 month old (17 years for those counting) child, then I say go nuts. Free country and all that. Just steer clear of me and we're all good.

Sesame Place caters to kids.

Disney World, arguably, caters to OLDER KIDS and adults WAY more than to the 5 and under set. Just look at the number of rides with height requirements, the plethora of adult dining and beverage locations, etc.

I have no problem with stroller use for young kids, for which strollers are designed and intended.

Strollers are designed and intended for use by any child that doesn’t exceed the limits of said stroller. It’s that simple.

It is very interesting that a discussion about Disney limiting certain size strollers & stroller wagons has turned into a lengthy discussion about when children should stop using one. Don’t think anyone is going to change anyone else’s mind on this.

In hopes of helping steer the conversation back to stroller size/banned strollers, does anyone have any examples of mainstream/popular double strollers that would not be allowed now? Would be helpful for people who are planning upcoming trips.

Who cares? Personally I'm not a big fan of the giant strollers or people who run into me with them. I don't know where you live but I live in the United States of America and if someone wants to use a stroller for their 204 month old (17 years for those counting) child, then I say go nuts. Free country and all that. Just steer clear of me and we're all good.

That's the thing though....I DONT care. I've said it a few times now. Lol Do you ever see something out of the ordinary and take an extra look at whatever it is? Like a set of triplets, for example. You aren't used to seeing triplets so you notice them. It has nothing to do with judging or caring. Seeing a 9 year old in a stroller meant for a 3 year old is going to catch your attention.

Just for fun (ha..) I went on YouTube and picked a year -- 1992 -- searched for "Magic Kingdom 1992" and looked at some home movies of the crowds and pathways, just to compare the volume/amount, and sizes, of strollers in the parks, and strollers parked by rides and restaurants... it was still very very crowded, but, very very different. What's changed between then and now...? I dunno. Just an observation. I personally would have preferred the option of a more minimalistic, compact stroller when my kids were born but at the time it was difficult to even find anything I really liked. So I was happy when I was able to kick them to the curb and use the single umbrella only.
What changed since the 90s (and 80s)?

1) The middle class has more disposable income
2) There are simply tons of stroller options now (compared to the 80s/90s) -- and because of #1 - parents are willing to spend money on them.
3) Because more people are willing to spend money on them . they stroller makers make them bigger, better and "more comfortable" or convenient.

Plus:
1) More "stuff" that we feel we "need" to be comfortable - sunscreen, hats, water, snacks (and thus wanting a vehicle to tote it around).
2) The willingness to bring small children to the parks. (My parents left my younger sister home with my grandparents on my first trip in the late 70s. A few years ago, I took my 5 mo daughter (with my 4yo son) to Disney for a short 3-park day trip). We rented a double stroller for those days. And while it was convenient .. it did take up a lot of space.

Just everything in our society has gotten bigger, better and "more".

Like I said previously - in order to truly curb stroller use -- Disney will need to make it hurt in the wallet. Charge for infants. Or .. like the airlines do. Charge a "fee" per stroller you want to bring in the parks. I mean I'd be more okay with that than the parking fee to have my car sit at a resort if I knew it would help reduce congestion in the parks.

You could argue that Disney's prices ($3.50 for a bottle of water) cause people to want to bring in ice and wagons and strollers to bring that stuff in.
Imagine if Disney sold water for like $1.00? You'd see less people willing to try and "save money" by hauling all that stuff in the park.

I have "googled" exactly that during the course of this discussion, and as an academic librarian I can say that I have not turned up a single authoritative source which determines at what age a stroller is no longer appropriate for a child. How old is 50 pounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter