• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sungela's PJ & TR Merged! Finally an Update! Faux Disneymoon Time

No kidding, when you say it like that I sound like a bum :rotfl:

Hey, if Sunny's not going to use this thread for while does that mean we can just take it over? We can be thread-squatters :banana:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I want to be a thread-squatter too. We can have a sit in until Sunny posts again.

*sitting in*

PSA: this is a trip report, not a wedding day report.

:rotfl2: when you get a minute... we're all hangin' off our seats, girl! lol

:goodvibes

Well you are excused then :rotfl: but we can't wait to read the rest of your TR!!!!!

I appreciate the sympathy--doesn't look like I get much of it on here. :rotfl2:

Glad to hear that everything is okay!!Hope the job is going well..how exciting!! Can't wait for the next installment!!!!!popcorn::

Job is great, but very demanding! And I have a full two weeks of training left. :scared1:

WHAT?! You mean Angela's not supporting you? Then what's the point of getting married :mad:

No, my job is to support her. She wants to be the lady of leisure. When I was in school, she supported me, but now that I'm an official graduate, she's ready to be my stay-at-home wife. :rotfl:

That's how I feel! I am waiting very patiently until I can be a lady of leisure! :lmao: You can be a man of liesure, not quite the same ring to it though!

I wish! Unfortunately, I have a workaholic streak, while Angela is quite content to be on perpetual vacation. If only she would learn how to cook and clean, this wouldn't be such a bad proposition.

Sunny,

we are sorry you are too busy with work to post, cause you know we all live through each others pj's. I hope all is going well with your new job and your newlywed life! When you get time, we want to see more, no pressure here, lol.

Thanks for understanding! I do feel really bad about falling short on my TR. And I am going to try really hard to finish up soon.

No kidding, when you say it like that I sound like a bum :rotfl:

Hey, if Sunny's not going to use this thread for while does that mean we can just take it over? We can be thread-squatters :banana:

Oh yeah, you guys can totally thread-squat. Maybe throw me a virtual post-wedding shower? :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I want to be a thread-squatter too. We can have a sit in until Sunny posts again.

*sitting in*

PSA: this is a trip report, not a wedding day report.

:rotfl2: when you get a minute... we're all hangin' off our seats, girl! lol

:goodvibes

Alright, alright. I've finally managed to finish off Day 1 of our Faux Disneymoon. It only took me two months to complete. Oy. I'm glad that you all still care. I don't know if it's at all possible, but I'll try to write Days 2 and 3 soon. For the next ten days, I'll be at a training retreat, wherein we are held captive from 7 AM until midnight every day. Angela is not a happy camper, as you can well imagine. After that, though, I should have a few more moments of unfettered internet access...

We awoke fairly early on Monday, as newly married folk, in our spacious Grand Floridian bed. Angela can never sleep late on vacation, especially not in Disney, although she was nicer to me than she was on our previous vacation, when she got up at sunrise—SUNRISE, as in dawn, as in 5 AM—ready to go play.

Originally, we had intended to have a joint family breakfast, but my parents opted out at the last second (okay, at the Dessert Party), so only six of us dined at the Grand Floridian Café. I finally got to have my Mickey waffle.

Stock photo of Mickey waffle (you think I paused long enough to take a picture?):
Waffle.jpg

I was very jealous of Christopher, who at 4 was allowed to order off the kids’ menu. His Mickey waffle came with edible Mickey confetti. Although I did get a ton of whipped cream…. Angela’s mom, sister, father, and Angela all ordered weird adult-like breakfasts, with eggs and cheese and what-have-you.

After we’d finished our lovely repast, we said goodbye to her family/my in-laws, and headed back to our room to get ready for the day. We’d purposefully left Monday open, because we assumed we’d be tired from the wedding and we didn’t want to over-schedule. This was actually a very smart move on our parts; we were too exhausted to explore any park, and it was far more pleasant not to have to rush.

We decided to head down to Downtown Disney, easily our mutual favorite part of the whole World. One Magical bus ride later, we were ready to stroll the promenade, taking care that Angela not hit her head this time. We mostly ambled around, shopping a little. We had to resize our watches (I have exceedingly thin wrists, and even Angela’s was a little loose), and of course buy more Disney paraphernalia.

We tried on hats:
Wedding125.jpg

Wedding126-2.jpg

Wedding124-1.jpg

And explored Legoland:

Wedding128-1.jpg

Wedding127-1.jpg

We also decided that the woman at the art store on the Cirque side of Downtown Disney needed to hear all the details of our wedding. She totally understood the need for a ping pong table; she wanted a Batman cake at hers. I don’t know how we got on the topic of weddings, but suffice it to say that we stayed in the store for almost an hour reminiscing about the past day’s events.

Very sadly, we didn't get our Ghiradelli sundae or our usual chocolate peanut butter apple. When we first got to Downtown, we'd just had breakfast, and by the time lunch rolled around, we were in the mood for "real food," as opposed to more cake. Not that I don't love cake frosted with more cake, but I hadn't had a real meal in a few days. My body craved vegetables. So we went to the Cuban place, which has a nice vegetarian plate and nicer Mojitos. We didn’t want to eat too much, though, because we were already nearing time to prep for our magnificent Victoria and Albert’s dinner.

Even if Angela and I have all day to prepare for something, or all week, or a two and a half year engagement, we will inevitably end up rushing at the last second (see TR, Day 0). So of course we ended up tearing through our bags to find what we needed, breaking the world record for fastest shower, and dashing off to V & A’s three minutes before our reservation time (thank heavens our hotel room was only a few yards away).

We did stop to take pictures for all of your sakes:

Remember these dresses? Except I think we look a little more exhausted this time around.
Wedding129-2.jpg

Wedding130-2.jpg

Victoria & Albert’s was lovely. I highly recommend it for all honeymooners; how often do you get to enjoy such high-end, specialized service prepared by a four-star chef? And considering we were in Disney World, the price wasn’t that bad. (When you spend $5 on a popsicle, you lose pricing perspective, I think). There were very few people in the dining room, and the waiter lavished attention on us, pouring more water the second we’d finished taking a sip, attending to our every whim. And the food was wonderful, all artfully prepared and delicious.

I’m so glad they give you the menu to take home, because otherwise I would totally have forgotten a few of the courses (there are eight, for goodness sakes!). We dined on:

A tasting of spring melons for our amuse bouche. This course literally involved four bites of different melons, one slushed, one sliced, and the other two prepared in some ingenious way. Angela and I opted to split the wine flight (they weren’t really supposed to let us do that, but I think the waiter took pity on us because we were young and obviously not used to dining amid such finery), so we each drank half a glass of Brut Champagne. At this point, we were convinced that given the small portions, we’d still be starving by the time we left. How wrong we were.

The next course was hearts of palm and fennel salad with garbanzo beans, beets and Manni olive oil. Now, I generally dislike hearts of palm, fennel, garbanzo beans, and beets, but I was determined to try everything put in front of me, and it was good. I also liked the Cantina Del Taburno Falanghina, Campania 2005 (not that I remember if it was red or white, but I’m sure it was tasty).

Our third course was Angela’s favorite, not including dessert: mushroom tortellini with trumpet royal, hedgehog mushrooms and black truffles. Angela doesn’t really eat vegetables (she’s what we like to call a carb-etarian), but she does like mushrooms, and I think she had them in some form or another every day of our Disney trip.

With three bite size plates of food the only thing between alcohol and our bare stomachs, the Domaine Vocoret & Fils Chablis put us both over the edge in terms of tipsiness. Angela, as is her custom, had ravaged the bread (brioche, baguette, and a multigrain roll, I think), leaving crumbs strewn across the fine linens. Our waiter had that neat crumb-picker-upper (I need to get one for the house), and his little smirk told me that he hadn’t ever needed to use it as much. So to make ourselves seem even more mature and sophisticated, we spent the entire meal giggling. I can’t imagine what would have happened had we actually opted for a full wine flight each—they would have had to carry us out of there, no mean feat after we were done with the final course.

After the mushrooms came my fave (again, minus dessert): tempura squash blossom with vegetable ratatouille and miniature summer squashes, accompanied by Rosenthal Chardonnay. Every time I see baby squash in Wegman’s, I think about replicating this dish, but it hasn’t happened yet. Our entrée followed: Zellwood corn risotto, potato-turnip gratin, and petite French lentils. Oddly enough, Angela doesn’t like corn, so I enjoyed this course much more than she did, although we both loved the gratin (because it tasted like fancy mashed potatoes to our undeveloped palates). I traded Ange some of my Pinot Noir for her corn risotto, so we were both happy, full, and slightly drunk.

The meat menu has more options than the vegetarian, which suited us just fine. We had a hard time picking when we did have to choose. For course #6, my new wife went with the Colston Basset Stilton, Monte Enebro and Pierre Robert cheese plate with Port wine, while I ordered the white chocolate gelato with micro mint and tableside shavings with Moscato. It actually wasn’t that hard to pick: I’m incapable of passing up chocolate/I don’t like cheese, and it made sense for Angela to get something different.

Oh, dessert. Yummy, delicious, perfect dessert. I don’t know how or when we passed the satiation point, but we were both stuffed. No matter. There was no way I was going to let my Tanzanian chocolate pyramid, Hawaiian Kona chocolate soufflé and Peruvian chocolate ice cream and puff pastry go to waste. Why anyway would select any other dessert is beyond me. It was to die for. It was worth paying $125 just for this dish alone (okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, but it really was delicious). Angela was boring, and went with the berry gateau with mango yogurt panna cotta. She said that she loved hers, but it clearly could not have been as good as mine. Three chocolate delicacies on one plate vs. something with fruit and yogurt? As if there’s any question! She didn’t even manage to finish hers, and asked for a take out box.

Our waiter brought out the Celebes coffee, which is brewed through a cool filtration system on the table. I don’t really understand how the process works, but it has to do with air pressure building up from the boiling water underneath the coffee grinds. However they did it, it was great coffee. We also enjoyed the friandise, tiny bites of petit fours or dried fruits. I don’t know how I managed to eat any more, but I love little concentrated sweets. They gave us our fruit and nut bread to take home along with Angela’s leftover gateau, and we rolled ourselves out of the restaurant.

On our way out, we decided to switch our Japanese reservation for Tuesday night for one at Citrico’s (it looked so pretty, and we figured we could have Japanese anywhere), then stumbled back to our room to catch the Magic Kingdom fireworks. We also saw the end of a lightshow that I presume is performed solely for the guests of the MK resorts. It involved, I kid you not, an American flag, a dragon, and very tinny music. Magnificent.

Wedding133-2.jpg

Exhausted, filled with food, and very, very happy, we dozed off, visions of Epcot dancing in our heads.

YAY FOR AN UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything sounds great! I think I will make a reservation with V&A per your recommendation :thumbsup2

So glad you are back - even if it is not for long. Everything sounds great. We have not make reservations for V&A but just this morning reserved two pontoon boats (along with the sound) for a Wishes cruise the night before our wedding for 20 of our nearest and dearest friends and family.

We also LOVE the nighttime Water Pagent and catch it whenever we can. We should have a great view of it on our Wishes cruise. You can watch it from any of the resorts on the water.

Trying on hats is a fun thing to do and we were debaiting between crepes and Mickey waffles at our brunch reception. The crepes won out but our rehearsal breakfast is at Cape May Cafe so hopefully we will get them there.

Good luck with your new job and all that training.

Linda

Great update! I wonder why you didn't get the Mickey Head confetti with your waffle? We eat at the GFC for breakfast often (or GF room service) and I have always gotten the confetti! Maybe I look like a child, LOL!

I love V&A's! I ate at the Chef's Table with my dad and it was wonderful! The best food I ever. I tried everything they put before me as well, and none of it disappointed! Next time, do the Chef's Table! I got two desserts: three small fruit desserts on a plate, followed by the heavenly chocolate desserts you described!

Can't wait for more!

Yay for an update, fabulous as usual!

So sorry to hear you have been so swamped at work. Hopefully we'll get to see more of you soon!

Ah if only we could afford V&A's. Sounds so yummified.
Looks like you guys had fun! Can't wait to hear more!

Yea, another update!!! I have heard so many wonderful things about V&A's but I know we would never enjoy (I'm too picky for those things, lol). So glad you got to enjoy your first REAL day without being stressed out. Can't wait to hear more.

Thanks for sharing your very romantic dinner with us!! DF loves those little crumb picker uppers too! Steakhouse 55 in DL (DF's FAV. restaurant) does it and he feels it's a sign of class.

Hi Sunny! I love the update! :thumbsup2 It was so funny reading about how no matter how much time you have to get ready for something you always rush at the last minute- because that is EXACTLY how DF and I are! :lmao: We always joke about how even though we have almost 22 months to plan this thing we will still be trying to do everything that last week. :rotfl2: Looking forward to the next update! popcorn::

Yay, another great update!! Your dinner at V&A's sounds wonderful.....maybe someday...without kids!!:thumbsup2 And how cute are the hat pictures....love them!!! I have one from our honeymoon of my DH in a "giraffe" hat at Animal Kingdom because for some reason I love giraffes and I think it's the funniest/cutest picture of our honeymoon!! The things you do for love. LOL! :love: And this past trip I have a picture of me wearing the same princess hat and my middle son wearing the cutest Mickey ears and it's one of my favorite ones too....hats are so fun!! :) Can't wait to hear the rest of your faux honeymoon!!

Glad to hear your job is going well but that stinks about all of this training!! Tell Angela, absense makes the heart :love: fonder when she's alone this coming week!!!

Hope to hear more from you sooner than later!! Love this TR! :surfweb:

So why is it a faux honeymoon?

Great to hear about your lovely meal and post wedding day. Don't feel any pressure to update regularly on my behalf, I know how it is with a new job.

I'll just be here in the corner on my blanket making pancakes with my electric griddle. When I squat, I squat in style.

Oooh, sounds like it was stressful, that is, until you got to the chocolate mousse part :p What do you mean by "faux" honeymoon??

Great to hear about your lovely meal and post wedding day. Don't feel any pressure to update regularly on my behalf, I know how it is with a new job.

I'll just be here in the corner on my blanket making pancakes with my electric griddle. When I squat, I squat in style.

This must just be a cute idea you had because it looks like to me you are having the real thing as in "honeymoon" :wizard: :goodvibes

I bragged to DH that I was enjoying another Sungela installment while he is out of town. I felt sorry for him and told him he must see it upon his return :3dglasses Thanks for a lovely visit to V & A. You've now made me want to try it and I wasn't interested till now popcorn::

Sunny,

Glad to see that you are back, at least if only for a little while. Hope everything is going good with your new job. Love the update!! :thumbsup2 V&A's sounds really good. I don't know if I would want to eat all those things, though, when I don't know what half of them were.:lmao: Sounds like your honeymoon is off to a great start. Can't wait for more.:goodvibes

Thank goodness, cuz it's been a cupla weeks, and I'm famished!

Throw me one of them pancakes, my friend, and I'm in for the long haul!

Don't know how I missed the V&A update. Sounds lovely, but i didn't recognize any of the foods you ate. :lmao: I don't think they'd let DH and I in. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter